Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dinny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I got to fondle..err..handle a few at the NRA Convention today. They're still in the final production stage but they're aiming for a $2900 price tag. They aren't bedding the entire barrel channel like Melvin did.

Medics bury their mistakes..
HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have they changed the stock any? I'd like to see it slimmed up a bit and with a grip more like a Brown. A lightly fluted bolt would be nice too. Be nice to the Fieldcraft back in production while I'm complaining. grin

Tarquin
D
Dinny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
The stock didn't feel nearly as slim as the Kimber Montana or Mountain Ascent stocks. It seemed fairly wide in the forend area.

I did ask the crew at Barrett about the Fieldcraft. They hope to have it available to consumers within 2 years. When I asked if they or someone else would be making it they replied with a YES and a shrug of the shoulders.

Medics bury their mistakes..
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Interesting to hear this. I don’t know if $1300 cheaper is exciting or concerning.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I called Wilson today, the guy in customer service said they we’re finalizing a few changes, I asked what the changes we’re and he said he wasn’t sure, I asked what the price would be and he said they are telling people $4000 but it’s going to be well below that, said they are trying to see how they can streamline production to get cost down and then come up with the exact number. He said you will be limited to 284, 243, 7mm-08 and 308 in a standard model 20 for a while, you wouldn’t be able to just order anything you wanted and get it made like it has been. Also said they are hoping to get started late summer and be shipping before hunting season. I had them put me on the the list for to call back when they can take an official order for a 284. Depending on final price and what the changes are will depend on if I go through with that or not, but I’m in line for now.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Denver257
Interesting to hear this. I don’t know if $1300 cheaper is exciting or concerning.

+1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I’d wait for a fieldcraft and count myself lucky to have a NULA, btw IMO you are better off with a full CLR conversion than a Wilson

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mtdogdreams
I’d wait for a fieldcraft and count myself lucky to have a NULA, btw IMO you are better off with a full CLR conversion than a Wilson

Interesting opinion without a Wilson even being built?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Mtdogdreams

Interesting opinion without a Wilson even being built?

Bird in the hand....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Apparently for some Wilson Combat doesn’t know how to build a quality firearm…laughing. Handguns altered and tuned by Bill are explicitly used by Delta Force and Navy Seals. Wilson AR-10 and AR-15 are some of the finest ARs made. Wow those turn bolt repeaters are tough to make when compared to all the other firearms Wilson Combat manufactures. They already have the blueprint from Melvin, they’re going to refine it more and reduce cost to sell thousands of more units over Melvin’s cottage firearm industry. That’s what Colt wanted to do until their financial picture changed. The CLR was selling at around $700/rifle. That’s 5 times less than Melvin was selling his then ULA and soon to be NULA. So a CLR is considered a more treasured product than a perhaps $2K Wilson Combat NULA. Sure thing. Bill Wilson is a master when it comes to improvements and refinements that make a firearm better than the competition. Let’s wait and see what they turn out before condemning an industry leader who is trying to keep the NULA rifle in production at a price point that will perhaps turn heads and sales.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Apparently for some Wilson Combat doesn’t know how to build a quality firearm…laughing. Handguns altered and tuned by Bill are explicitly used by Delta Force and Navy Seals. Wilson AR-10 and AR-15 are some of the finest ARs made. Wow those turn bolt repeaters are tough to make when compared to all the other firearms Wilson Combat manufactures. They already have the blueprint from Melvin, they’re going to refine it more and reduce cost to sell thousands of more units over Melvin’s cottage firearm industry. That’s what Colt wanted to do until their financial picture changed. The CLR was selling at around $700/rifle. That’s 5 times less than Melvin was selling his then ULA and soon to be NULA. So a CLR is considered a more treasured product than a perhaps $2K Wilson Combat NULA. Sure thing. Bill Wilson is a master when it comes to improvements and refinements that make a firearm better than the competition. Let’s wait and see what they turn out before condemning an industry leader who is trying to keep the NULA rifle in production at a price point that will perhaps turn heads and sales.

Obviously you have a hard on for Wilson’s products but you’re correct about let’s wait and see.

As to the colt and the price. It was a NULA action only with a perfectly fine barrel. A NULA would have had a high quality stock bedded to the barreled action and a Timney trigger. So you’re not comparing apples to apples.

As to melvins cottage comment. I’m out of touch with what his prices were in the last days and don’t have a clue what Wilson’s rifles will be when it’s all said and done. That said when you ordered from the cottage you could choose almost any chambering you could want with any twist length and contour barrel. Not to mention stock length and the colors are probably important to some. So Wilson’s NULA will have to considerably less to be a success I would assume.

Im sure it’s a great rifle as you said a bolt action isn’t rocket science but by golly manufacturers sure seem to go out of their way to always screw up one thing or another. I do hope the new NULA is the best one yet though.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Bird in the hand....

Originally Posted by Kaleb
...I do hope the new NULA is the best one yet though. ...

I'm hoping he makes a GREAT product as well. As others mentioned, it's proven his shop can do that with other firearms and it shouldn't be a more technical thing to do with a bolt action on a proven design/platform/blueprint.

That said, at this point, a CLR that's been through Melvin's shop or through the guys who've taken over Mr. Forbe's shop to rebarrel/stock the CLR's, is without a doubt a better rifle than a Wilson. This is simply because it can be obtained.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ronnie did it best,due the S/S receiver and (5) 8x40's. Hint............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I totally agree J and Stick even though I’ve not seen much less used one of Barrett’s. Maybe the new fella with Barrett will get them back into production in a couple of years.

At this point when I want or need something like this I will send a montana with a lilja dupe west and have what I want.

I might add the more I shoot the mini 6ARC the more I like it. For what it is and sub $1,500 I don’t know what beats it in that weight class.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes, the stainless and 5 holes was a very nice upgrade. Everything twisted right from the start. I wish I'd have picked up a few of them when prices were low to use as donor's. It's tough to beat the weight, size/footprint, material, bolt lift angle, and mag box they offer. chris84's mounts were the final piece to make it. If the new owners of Barrett really wanted to go one up on anything available, making the action with an integrated recoil lug, guaranteed headspace, and making it available as an action alone would be something.

After putting together a lw 7-08 on an anTi and working around bolt handle and mount issues, I wish I'd just rebarreled a Fieldcraft.

I like the Montana's, but a 3" mag box would be really nice, especially for 7-08's.

For sure on the ARC. I've really been enjoying it the last month. Sweet little round and the mini's, especially with Chris's bottom metal, are a slim trim package. Even with the extra $ for the bottom metal and a Stocky's second, it's a hair shy of $1000. Wish it was stainless but it's still hard to beat for the $.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, one of the few really smart firearms purchases I’ve made was snagging a FC relatively early, even though it was a financial stretch at the time. Oakland Guns made it happen with their handy layaway plan.

Now I could just buy one, or more, if any were to be had, but realistically at my age, one is plenty. I do find myself “needing” more shotguns than ever before for some reason, and handguns seem to appear almost out of nowhere…….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Yup, one of the few really smart firearms purchases I’ve made was snagging a FC relatively early, even though it was a financial stretch at the time. Oakland Guns made it happen with their handy layaway plan.

Now I could just buy one, or more, if any were to be had, but realistically at my age, one is plenty. I do find myself “needing” more shotguns than ever before for some reason, and handguns seem to appear almost out of nowhere…….
I’ve bought quite a few guns through Oakland Guns also. They’re one of my favorite online retailers. Between the 10 month no fees layaway and always being first rate with emailed invoices when payments are made, reasonable prices and just good easy people to buy from.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just hope they don't start leaning to the tacti-cool side to raise sales.... Melvin's rifles were popular because of what they were/are. If they (Wilson) adds a heavier barrel or some gaudy detachable mag it will kill it for me.... rifles like that are already available.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I’ve bought quite a few guns through Oakland Guns also. They’re one of my favorite online retailers. Between the 10 month no fees layaway and always being first rate with emailed invoices when payments are made, reasonable prices and just good easy people to buy from.

Even now, with money not generally an issue, the layaway has allowed me to secure stuff I want, but might not be quite ready for because I’m otherwise engaged. They seem to have hard to find stuff available (at their jobber mostly) more than most, case in point being my M70 EW that was pretty much unobtanium elswhere.

Ron and Cici are nice folks too. Always enjoy talking with them.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've never owned nor closely looked at anything from Wilson but I've been somewhat vaguely aware of them for quite a while. Seems like they've been able to walk and chew gum @ the same time. Meaning they've got a suite of production firearms AND a custom shop that seem to do find running concurrently.

Seems like some folks are getting the vapors over something that hasn't even come close to happening yet.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 35, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,264
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.