Print Thread
Hop To
Page 98 of 108 1 2 96 97 98 99 100 107 108
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp
Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

Being that you hold that the body is not resurrected, where will will your spirit reside eternally?

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
God is spirit

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp
Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

Study to show yourself approved, a workman that need not be ashamed rightly dividing the word of truth.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by Ringman
That might be a relevant point if the commandments had been given as a set of rules to live by. The commandments were only given to reveal sin and conclude all under sin so that all would learn that they couldn't be justified by the deeds of the law. The commandments have never been given as a set of rules to live by. That thinking is only in modern church doctrine preached by people who have no understanding of grace or faith.

Gal.3-5 lays it out quite plainly.

So you want us to believe God uses One Scripture to neuter Other Scriptures?

I wasnt aware God wrote the Bible? I thought it was Joo's? Am I mistaken?

Christians added a verse that says it is all inspired by God. Inspired by doesn't exactly mean quoted from though, does it?

I'd say it matters ? no disrespect intended toward anyone , but I think its good to keep in mind it wasnt written by God himself.

Didnt Joo's also decide which volumes and authors were to be included or not? as I understand it there were several "the book of's" left out? and then there are the Dead Sea Scrolls.

OK general question: Do you think King James of KJV fame translated the Bible absolutely faithfully or being a King (and as Kings often do) might'a bent things a smidge to fit what benefited him more so than less so , when there was a question? Sorta fudged it so to speak?

I think the King James translators did the most accurate job they could do. The problem is that one can only translate into the thoughts and concepts common to one's culture and history. The King James is translated by a cultural monarchy and the understanding of scripture is greatly influenced by it. It's hard to not picture God as King and all of us as his subjects. Many times, the translators have added words and phrases intending to add clarity to the understanding, but they clearly change meanings sometimes that reflect the culture of the translators.

Last edited by RHClark; 04/26/23.
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp
God is spirit

Jesus is incarnate with flesh and blood and ascended the same. He taught of the resurrection from the dead where the whole of a man, body soul and spirit, will be restored to live eternally on the earth with Christ.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
That might be a relevant point if the commandments had been given as a set of rules to live by. The commandments were only given to reveal sin and conclude all under sin so that all would learn that they couldn't be justified by the deeds of the law. The commandments have never been given as a set of rules to live by. That thinking is only in modern church doctrine preached by people who have no understanding of grace or faith.

Christians added a verse that says it is all inspired by God. Inspired by doesn't exactly mean quoted from though, does it?

I'd say it matters ? no disrespect intended toward anyone , but I think its good to keep in mind it wasnt written by God himself.

Didnt Joo's also decide which volumes and authors were to be included or not? as I understand it there were several "the book of's" left out? and then there are the Dead Sea Scrolls.

OK general question: Do you think King James of KJV fame translated the Bible absolutely faithfully or being a King (and as Kings often do) might'a bent things a smidge to fit what benefited him more so than less so , when there was a question? Sorta fudged it so to speak?

I think the King James translators did the most accurate job they could do. The problem is that one can only translate into the thoughts and concepts common to one's culture and history. The King James is translated by a cultural monarchy and the understand is greatly influenced by it. It's hard to not picture God as King and all of us as his subjects.

As with most other translations they did not place their culture within the text. They meticulously translated from the original manuscripts that were available.

When comparisons are done of good modern translations the variation from the KJV is pretty much nil. NASB and ESV are two good examples and both translated from within cultures vastly different than early 17th century England.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by krp

Being that you hold that the body is not resurrected, where will will your spirit reside eternally?

this is interesting. Where does Jesus' spirit reside.?

.... like tears in the rain
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp
See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.”

So there’s gonna be an incarnation Christ with a bunch of human spirits hovering around?

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp

Christ has always been the physical embodiment of the Godhead. He took on physical form when incarnate. It is in that state that he ascended and promised to return.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
God is spirit

Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think the King James translators did the most accurate job they could do. The problem is that one can only translate into the thoughts and concepts common to one's culture and history. The King James is translated by a cultural monarchy and the understanding of scripture is greatly influenced by it. It's hard to not picture God as King and all of us as his subjects. Many times, the translators have added words and phrases intending to add clarity to the understanding, but they clearly change meanings sometimes that reflect the culture of the translators.[/quote]

I'll buy that.
In the first 4-5 years of my life, I spoke only German.
There are still words I remember that I speak with other German speaking people that do not translate into English. The concept translates but it takes more than a word to convey it.
Someone not versed would likely be a bit confused and ask for an explanation.

I can imagine doing the same from Aramaic, Greek and Hebrew to early English and needing to add or deduct text.

Last edited by AKA_Spook; 04/26/23. Reason: used but instead of buy

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
"Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you"

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

I think the King James translators did the most accurate job they could do. The problem is that one can only translate into the thoughts and concepts common to one's culture and history. The King James is translated by a cultural monarchy and the understand is greatly influenced by it. It's hard to not picture God as King and all of us as his subjects.

As with most other translations they did not place their culture within the text. They meticulously translated from the original manuscripts that were available.

When comparisons are done of good modern translations the variation from the KJV is pretty much nil. NASB and ESV are two good examples and both translated from within cultures vastly different than early 17th century England.

I am not saying they intentionally manipulated the scripture. What I am saying is that certain concepts and ideas in the translation are influenced by culture. It can't be otherwise because you are trying to translate thoughts and ideas of other cultures into your own anytime any translation is made.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

I think the King James translators did the most accurate job they could do. The problem is that one can only translate into the thoughts and concepts common to one's culture and history. The King James is translated by a cultural monarchy and the understanding of scripture is greatly influenced by it. It's hard to not picture God as King and all of us as his subjects. Many times, the translators have added words and phrases intending to add clarity to the understanding, but they clearly change meanings sometimes that reflect the culture of the translators.

I'll but that.
In the first 4-5 years of my life, I spoke only German.
There are still words I remember that I speak with other German speaking people that do not translate into English. The concept translates but it takes more than a word to convey it.
Someone not versed would likely be a bit confused and ask for an explanation.

I can imagine doing the same from Aramaic, Greek and Hebrew to early English and needing to add or deduct text.[/quote]

Were you raised Lutheran?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by krp

Christ has always been the physical embodiment of the Godhead. He took on physical form when incarnate. It is in that state that he ascended and promised to return.

I do not disagree. Does he exist now as flesh and blood or as spirit ? and if the former is the case does anyone know where?

Were you raised Lutheran?

to the extent that we received religious training , yes, loosely

my parents were people who were refugees during the war and I'm not sure they held a strong sense of God after that experience.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

I am not saying they intentionally manipulated the scripture. What I am saying is that certain concepts and ideas in the translation are influenced by culture. It can't be otherwise because you are trying to translate thoughts and ideas of other cultures into your own anytime any translation is made.

I can understand your point but in my mind it would seem that those influences would be quite different in our day and cause the good modern translations to be significantly different from KJV. That doesn’t seem to be the case.

There are a lot of points where the specific terms are a bit weird. I try to go back to a Greek reference when I find questions about language.

A former pastor who was trained in the original languages, made an interesting comment to me years ago. He said that to learn the Greek and Hebrew, and read the text in the original language, made it come to life in a way that our language cannot convey. Based on my experiences and trying to look at the original tracks for clarification, I’d have to say that I agree with him.

Last edited by IZH27; 04/26/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A former pastor who was trained in the original languages, made an interesting comment to me years ago. He said that to learn the Greek and Hebrew, and read the text in the original language, made it come to life in a way that our language cannot convey. Based on my experiences and trying to look at the original tracks for clarification, I’d have to say that I agree with him.

would you believe....
I have friends who attended "Hebrew School" as kids that say something very similar about reading Torah from right to left.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

would you believe....
I have friends who attended "Hebrew School" as kids that say something very similar about reading Torah from right to left.

I would not doubt that for a minute. With my limited ability, looking into the original language as needed it safe to say that they are just some things that don’t translate well.

Page 98 of 108 1 2 96 97 98 99 100 107 108

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 22magnut, 65 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,247
Posts18,525,074
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.