Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Last time I went underneath it was to dump some cremains in that little cove just NW of the bridge.

I wasn't driving nor piloting, just a nautical passenger that time.

One of the bereaved passengers was puking his guts up the whole time, and one of the vessel's crew was having a grand old time flipping shít at him. sick laugh

Funnest time I've ever had at a "funeral".

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
It's an inspiring experience. Glad I saw it when California was fairly normal and SF quirky weird, not disgusting insane.

The "City" and Bay Area were great places to visit in the late 60s/early 70s. I miss going there and to Stinson Beach.

I wouldn't go to SF with a 10' pooper-scooper now.

Me neither. My wife went to school out there. Her dad was there. Free tuition. She took my daughter a few years ago. Some black piece of [bleep] homeless bastard on the bus punched her in the side of the head. Her glasses softened the impact but a punch is a punch. Bus driver called the cops for some pointless reason. They -do- nothing! The streets were disgusting. Nothing charming about the place anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
[img]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gipzQr0k9zA&pp=ygUORGVhbiBTdGVlbCBNZW4%3D[/img]

fail

GOA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Drove over it a couple times, years ago. I have zero interest in seeing it or any of Calif again.

NRA Patron
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by ironbender
How about the "Guinea Gangplank"?

Apologies to Geno. wink
I'm originally from "Back East".

No gangplank there, just a ride to the East River or Hudson River with your "cementa shoes"
Official name with one "z"

Rockefeller signed the "Verrazano" name into law in March 1960, which officially changed the name of the Narrows Bridge to "Verrazano-Narrows Bridge".[147] The naming issue did not encounter any more controversy until 1963, after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. This prompted a series of suggestions to rename structures, monuments, and agencies across the United States after the late president.[180] A petition to rename the Verrazano Bridge for Kennedy received thousands of signatures.[181] In response, LaCorte contacted the president's brother, United States Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, who told LaCorte that he would assure that the bridge would keep the "Verrazano" name.[182] Ultimately, the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge kept its name, while Idlewild Airport in Queens was renamed after Kennedy.[183]

In part due to discrimination against Italian-Americans, the bridge's official name was widely ignored by local news outlets at the time of the dedication. Some radio announcers and newspapers omitted any reference to Verrazzano, referring to the bridge as the Narrows Bridge, or the Brooklyn–Staten Island Bridge. The society continued its lobbying efforts to promote the name in the following years until the name became firmly established. Another ethnic slur for the bridge was its nickname as the "Guinea Gangplank", referring to the Italian-Americans who subsequently moved from Brooklyn to Staten Island.[71]: 33  The Italian Historical Society's published references to the bridge's name all contained two "z"s.[184]

wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/img]

We made it half way across on that trip.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This was another trip……

M
M
Used to live in Marin County and the bridge is probably the best thing about the San Francisco area. Amazing site when driving south on the 101 out of the tunnel and this big red bridge appears. Wonderful feat of engineering. Best viewed from the Marin headlands.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Anyone else cycled across it?

Many times during my dinner break. Would leave Civic Center and do the headlands and get back in time to shower have a beer and dinner and make my show call.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Driven across it many times. Crossed it on the motorcycle. Walked on it. Crossed under it on an aircraft carrier.

Don't care if I'm never within 100 miles of it ever again.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, lived 60 miles north of crapfransico, drove over it 100s of times, walked it as well.
As kids we spit over the edge onto boats if they were coming under it.
This was before they fenced it to keep jumpers from going over. We could lean over and spit way back then.
Course as soon as we spit the wind blew it away.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks all, think about what it takes for things we don;t think much about. Good men died building that bridge.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
How about the "Guinea Gangplank"?

Apologies to Geno. wink
I'm originally from "Back East".

No gangplank there, just a ride to the East River or Hudson River with your "cementa shoes"
Official name with one "z"

Rockefeller signed the "Verrazano" name into law in March 1960, which officially changed the name of the Narrows Bridge to "Verrazano-Narrows Bridge".[147] The naming issue did not encounter any more controversy until 1963, after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. This prompted a series of suggestions to rename structures, monuments, and agencies across the United States after the late president.[180] A petition to rename the Verrazano Bridge for Kennedy received thousands of signatures.[181] In response, LaCorte contacted the president's brother, United States Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, who told LaCorte that he would assure that the bridge would keep the "Verrazano" name.[182] Ultimately, the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge kept its name, while Idlewild Airport in Queens was renamed after Kennedy.[183]

In part due to discrimination against Italian-Americans, the bridge's official name was widely ignored by local news outlets at the time of the dedication. Some radio announcers and newspapers omitted any reference to Verrazzano, referring to the bridge as the Narrows Bridge, or the Brooklyn–Staten Island Bridge. The society continued its lobbying efforts to promote the name in the following years until the name became firmly established. Another ethnic slur for the bridge was its nickname as the "Guinea Gangplank", referring to the Italian-Americans who subsequently moved from Brooklyn to Staten Island.[71]: 33  The Italian Historical Society's published references to the bridge's name all contained two "z"s.[184]

wink

Cool info about the bridge. Drove across it while touring around back there in my mid 20's. Didn't know about the slur.

Discrimination against my people? I think we deserve some reparations or something. From a back east paper more than a century ago:

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I walked across it with intentions of getting a cab back. Took about four hours because some homo was holding itself hostage in the middle of the bridge. Then I found out it was illegal for people to take people back across the bridge for money. Then I walked back.
I saw the little island that my my Dad was stationed at in WWII, when he wasn't at sea.

Then I never went back.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have walked it, drove it and sailed under it as many "locals" have noted. I do not need to experience any of it again, particularly sailing.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, been over it several times.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by Esox357
Alot of people kill themselves every year off it.

I and my late wife have driven across it a dozen times or more when visiting San Francisco.

As for the suiciders, when I lived in Los Angeles, a girl whom I knew well who dated a good friend of mine but later broke up, drove to San Francisco, but parked her car away from the bridge. She walked to the bridge, walked to the railing, took off her clothes and jumped. Her purse was on top of her clothes but had no driver's license or other idee inside. There were, however, several pieces of very expensive jewelry.

The police were able to determine who she was because the jewelry was registered to her by Tiffany's and Van Cleef, Arpels. She was a stunningly beautiful girl, but as screwy as a bucket of bolts. No letter left as to why she decided to commit suicide. You never know .....

L.W.
mental

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,216
Posts18,485,508
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.