Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi Guys and Gals and both closet Bud Light drinkers still on the forums...

If one were to stack gold and silver...what would be the end goal for a decent stack?

I was thinking 60 ounces of each...big enough to be stacked, but small enough to hide/carry.

What are your goals and how do you determine them?

Of course we know that no one on this forum would have any real precious metals nor guns after the great boating accident of 2021...still, I'd like to know your insights to learn from others.

Thanks,

John

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
For me, it's 75% gold and 25% silver, in terms of dollars into it. That will result in a much greater number of ounces of silver than gold, the idea being that the ratio of silver to gold is much higher than it should be right now, and in fact when metals go parabolic, silver usually quickly catches up to gold, meaning that most of your profits will come from silver, i.e., it will go from, e.g., 100 to 1 to, e.g., 20 to 1 on their way up to their peaks, giving your silver the best profit making potential, so you want lots of it in terms of ounces, vs gold.

Silver has the better profit potential due to the tendency described above, while gold prices tend to be more stable (less volatile).

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I do more silver than gold by probably 50 to 1. Silver is much better for using to barter if needed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NoDak
I do more silver than gold by probably 50 to 1. Silver is much better for using to barter if needed.
That, too. Gold is a store of wealth, while silver functions better as day to day money for regular folks during a monetary collapse.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good goal would be 5% to 10% of your personal net wealth in P.M.'s.
As Hawk said silver is the better play today, when the gold to silver $ ratio drops to around 30 to 1 , sell the silver and buy gold

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Also, while junk silver used to be the best deal in town, that's no longer the case. You will pay a huge premium on it today, due to their becoming harder to find.

Your best bet in silver today is one ounce generic rounds (not coins from national mints, and certainly not US Silver Eagles), and 10 oz or 1 kilo bars.

These are the best for getting into and getting out of, vs national mint coins or junk.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So I've been watching more youtube concerning stacking philosophies...Bald Guy Money...that he guestimated the stacks of ownership based upon nongovernment stackers. So real people:

Silver
Top 1% = 406-541 ounces
Top 5% = 132-176 ounces
Top 20% = 41-54 ounces

Gold
1% = 164 ounces
5% = 53 ounces
20% = 16 ounces

Of course mean median and modes will bias these numbers, but they are nice ballparks to strive for...I was just guessing a fist full for easy transport is what most non-addicted people would do.

I'm looking for more information on platinum too, but that seems more speculative than either gold or silver.

As a noobie precious metals interest...I am not confidant in bars and stuff and would like to stick with coins.

Should I just go with Britain and Krugerands in Silver since they are the lowest to accumulate ounces or go for like old peace dollars or for American Eagles or what?

Last edited by LeakyWaders; 05/06/23.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What's your purpose in having PMs? Investing, or prepping?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To bribe boarder guards.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dassa
What's your purpose in having PMs? Investing, or prepping?

It seems like a fun hobby with some investment potential.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Premiums on eagles are very high. Sometimes you can get things like krugarrands, Britannias, or philharmonic for not much more than generic rounds so that makes them not too bad of way to go.

I like 90% junk too but the premiums are too high right now. The other government minted stuff like Brits, Krugers, and Phil's aren't a bad way to go in this market but the lowest spread is generic stuff.

The generic rounds sell easy and have the lowest premiums. I should buy more generic but I mostly have eagles, maples, Phil's, and 90%.

These are a good deal today.

https://sdbullion.com/2023-1-oz-silver-britannia-coin-king-charles

https://bullionexchanges.com/tube-of-20-2023-armenia-1-oz-noahs-ark-silver-coin-500-dram

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 05/06/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys must be rich. If I could buy a few ounces of silver I'd buy a box of Hammer Hunter 7mm 90 grain bullets.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It's a scam people. Gold and silver are constantly being manipulated by the banks. You would do better in investing in brass and copper - for when the SHTF.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
It's a scam people. Gold and silver are constantly being manipulated by the banks. You would do better in investing in brass and copper - for when the SHTF.

I received some gold from my grandfather in 1970. It was worth about $40/ounce then.

The spot paper price is manipulated...but there are times when it shoots up to account for massive currency creation.

Gold price has not kept up with currency printing the past 5 years, that is for sure. Might be due for a reset.

Burley Boy's advice above is good.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Of course it's manipulated. Wait until they lose control. How long are they going to keep this ponzi scheme going? I like to have physical assets. Property, tools, guns, food, firewood. Yes, especially brass,lead,primers. How much precious metals should I have? What ever amount you don't want to lose.

Last edited by Twopatch; 05/06/23. Reason: Double word edit

It doesn't matter who gets more votes, It matters who counts the votes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Twopatch
How much precious metals should I have? What ever amount you don't want to lose.

My thought exactly.

Once I had the house and 300 acres paid off and a year's worth of food and a lifetime of ammo and such, I started converting excess fiat into gold/silver.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I kind of wish I would have bought a few tunes when I posted those links. The Noah's asks were $3.25 over spot any quantity but that deals already gone. The brits were $3.99 over any quantity but that's gone too.

I've got my home paid off, food storage, plenty of ammo and reloading components so stacking is an ok hobby for me. I like having some hard assets these days. My stack is less than 15% of my net worth and I really don't trust stocks right now. Most of my ira is in cds and recently bonds. I spread the cds out among several different banks at $5000 to $10,000 per bank. I'm averging just under 5% on them which doesn't keep up with bidenflation but it's pretty safe and better than nothing.

My recent regret was not buying $75k of tesla at the end of last year. I had it typed in but didn't press go. Other than that I've not had too much interest in stock. Although last year I should have bought in the maker of ozembic when my Dr told me how well it worked for weight loss. I occasionally get a stock idea but have a hard time pulling the trigger anymore. I've been in hunker down mode for 2 years.

Bb

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Invest in lead.......first. Save your 22LR fired casings, too.

Filters, iodine, bleach, antibiotics.......second.

Guess what's third.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I usually buy gold and silver when everybody else is selling. Everybody’s buying right now.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Anyone do business with Moneymetals?
Are they considered trustworthy, any others that would be a better choice?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 673, 13 invisible), 1,695 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,374
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.