Hop To
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by RHClark
I am forced into the conclusion that you have zero interest in a discussion but just want to slander Paul to see if you can argue with anybody.
The first Christians ran Paul off. The Romans had to put him on a boat and get him away after he was exposed for what he was. And the Asia Minor Christians all turned against him. Reckon the Christians closest to Jesus were all wrong about the man?

Christians didn't run Paul off. You read something and then just jump to some wild conclusion you made up. Paul had to escape the city in a basket and went into exile for a while. The bible doesn't say, I repeat does not say that the real Jesus followers ran him off for lying. That's all made up in your head.

What happened is that Paul was very educated in and aligned with the leaders of Judaism. Remember he had been given authority to arrest and bring to trial the heretic Christians. He was a man used to authority. When this known religious official converted and started arguing and showing from the Jewish scriptures the divinity of Jesus it stirred up such a fuss that it actually threatened the early Christian church. That's why Paul went into exile for a while, not because he was running from angry Christians.

Last edited by RHClark; 05/08/23.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
And at the end of the day, the New Testament teaches that Christians are not required to keep the Law of Moses, neither as a matter of salvation or righteousness. This was clearly affirmed by James and Peter at the First Jerusalem Council.
You are correct. A good bit of the 613 rules do not apply. I am not a Levite priest so all that is out. I can marry a gentile so that is out, I don't have to follow the rules for kings because obviously I'm not a king. I have never had the opportunity to put frankincense or olive oil on a sin offering of flour, ect. etc.

But the laws concerning health and morality should be followed. I cannot get involved in killing adulterers or folks getting mixed up in sexual perversions though so I'll trust the Lord to understand.

The big 10 are still in force or Jesus would not have endorsed them. And he endorsed going above and beyond by following the spirit of the law not just the technicalities.

John and Jesus both preached repentance as a condition of salvation, but I do believe that faith and grace are absolutely part of the equation. The Lord must be acknowledged and obeyed which equals faith plus works.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am forced into the conclusion that you have zero interest in a discussion but just want to slander Paul to see if you can argue with anybody.
The first Christians ran Paul off. The Romans had to put him on a boat and get him away after he was exposed for what he was. And the Asia Minor Christians all turned against him. Reckon the Christians closest to Jesus were all wrong about the man?

Christians didn't run Paul off. You read something and then just jump to some wild conclusion you made up. Paul had to escape the city in a basket and went into exile for a while. The bible doesn't say, I repeat does not say that the real Jesus followers ran him off for lying. That's all made up in your head.

What happened is that Paul was very educated in and aligned with the leaders of Judaism. Remember he had been given authority to arrest and bring to trial the heretic Christians. He was a man used to authority. When this known religious official converted and started arguing and showing from the Jewish scriptures the divinity of Jesus it stirred up such a fuss that it actually threatened the early Christian church. That's why Paul went into exile for a while, not because he was running from angry Christians.
Wrong

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Law is our Schoolmaster, that leads us to Christ.

How's that?

Because anyone with an ounce of honesty knows they cannot keep the law. We need a covering.

Even intimating that we keep the law is a denial of truth.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And at the end of the day, the New Testament teaches that Christians are not required to keep the Law of Moses, neither as a matter of salvation or righteousness. This was clearly affirmed by James and Peter at the First Jerusalem Council.
You are correct. A good bit of the 613 rules do not apply. I am not a Levite priest so all that is out. I can marry a gentile so that is out, I don't have to follow the rules for kings because obviously I'm not a king. I have never had the opportunity to put frankincense or olive oil on a sin offering of flour, ect. etc.

But the laws concerning health and morality should be followed. I cannot get involved in killing adulterers or folks getting mixed up in sexual perversions though so I'll trust the Lord to understand.

The big 10 are still in force or Jesus would not have endorsed them. And he endorsed going above and beyond by following the spirit of the law not just the technicalities.

John and Jesus both preached repentance as a condition of salvation, but I do believe that faith and grace are absolutely part of the equation. The Lord must be acknowledged and obeyed which equals faith plus works.

You are such a mixed bag of confusion, contradictions, and hypocrisy. You just don’t get it and don’t want to get it.

The Law is all 613 commandments, a package deal, Galatians 5:3. If you break even ONE commandment, you break them all, James 2:10. You don’t have the luxury you think you have of picking and choosing which ones to keep. You have to keep them ALL under the Law.

By keeping the Law, you reject what Jesus did at the cross in setting us free from the law. You have severed yourself from Jesus by placing yourself under the Law, and you have fallen from grace, Galatians 5:4.

We are to live a life based on faith alone (no works required for salvation) in Jesus through the Holy Spirit, not the Law. Jesus freed us from that curse, Galatians 3:13-14. The curse of the Law was its condemnation. Jesus took our curse so we could receive His righteousness, 2 Corinthians 5:21. Paul said those keeping the Law are under a curse, Galatians 3:10.

IC B2

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You are correct. A good bit of the 613 rules do not apply. I am not a Levite priest so all that is out. I can marry a gentile so that is out, I don't have to follow the rules for kings because obviously I'm not a king. I have never had the opportunity to put frankincense or olive oil on a sin offering of flour, ect. etc. But the laws concerning health and morality should be followed. I cannot get involved in killing adulterers or folks getting mixed up in sexual perversions though so I'll trust the Lord to understand. The big 10 are still in force or Jesus would not have endorsed them. And he endorsed going above and beyond by following the spirit of the law not just the technicalities. John and Jesus both preached repentance as a condition of salvation, but I do believe that faith and grace are absolutely part of the equation. The Lord must be acknowledged and obeyed which equals faith plus works.
So it is clear that things much more significant than an iota or a dot have already passed from the law.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Tarbe
The Law is our Schoolmaster, that leads us to Christ.

How's that?

Because anyone with an ounce of honesty knows they cannot keep the law. We need a covering.

Even intimating that we keep the law is a denial of truth.

Yes. The law was only a picture of what it would take to be perfect. God only gave it in response to the Israelites proudly proclaiming that they were well able to do all that God could ask of them. Moses had led them out of bondage and God wanted to speak to them in person. They were all afraid and just told Moses to go by himself and find out what God wanted, and they boasted they were well able to do anything God told them. God said OK here's a list and at the end he even added a rule that if you broke even the smallest one you were guilty of them all. God also added the most important part, when you can't keep them, make a sacrifice. The point of it all was to lead them to faith in the sacrifice. As an aside I always find it interesting that law minded folks seem to remember the law, but they never mention anything about the sacrifice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you break one of the 613 commands, you break them all.

Do you pick up a stick on Saturday?
Do you travel 3/5 of a mile on Saturday?
Is there a mezuzah on each doorpost?
Do you eat creatures that live in water other than fish?
Do you eat the meat of an animal that died without ritual slaughter?
Do you ritually slaughter an animal before eating it?
Do you eat untithed fruit?
Do you eat fresh grapes? or raisins?
Do you separate your tithe for the poor?
Do you set aside the first fruits and bring them to the Temple?
Do you give away the shoulder, 2 cheeks, and stomach of slaughtered animals?
Do you blow the shofar on the 10th of Tishrei to free the slaves?
Do you guard the Temple area?
Do you salt all your sacrifices?
Do you offer 2 lambs every day?
Do you burn incense every day?
Do you light the Menorah every day?
Do you make the show bread?

Remember, if you break even one of the 613 commands, you have broken all of them. This is just a few of those 613 commands.

Why have you rejected God’s grace and made yourself a slave to the Law? Galatians 5:1. Jesus set us free from that bondage.

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Law is our Schoolmaster, that leads us to Christ. How's that? Because anyone with an ounce of honesty knows they cannot keep the law. We need a covering. Even intimating that we keep the law is a denial of truth.
That’s evidenced by the clear cherry-picking that goes on by the Torahists. They clearly cherry-pick a tiny fraction of the Law of Moses that they’re gonna live by and call it good. They cherry-pick 1.9% of the Mosaic Law that they’re gonna abide by and convince themselves that they’re ‘walking in Torah.’

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Muffin

How do you know that Christians ran Paul off????
Acts 21 and 22.

2nd Timothy 1:15 "All who are in Asia (modern Turkey) turned away from me"

?????

First part of 21 Paul is seen 'getting along' just fine with Christians, they even warned about the JEWS....

And then you see 'the JEWS from Asia' stir up the people against him...........

HOW is this Christians against Paul???? And 'running him off'..........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You are correct. A good bit of the 613 rules do not apply. I am not a Levite priest so all that is out. I can marry a gentile so that is out, I don't have to follow the rules for kings because obviously I'm not a king. I have never had the opportunity to put frankincense or olive oil on a sin offering of flour, ect. etc. But the laws concerning health and morality should be followed. I cannot get involved in killing adulterers or folks getting mixed up in sexual perversions though so I'll trust the Lord to understand. The big 10 are still in force or Jesus would not have endorsed them. And he endorsed going above and beyond by following the spirit of the law not just the technicalities. John and Jesus both preached repentance as a condition of salvation, but I do believe that faith and grace are absolutely part of the equation. The Lord must be acknowledged and obeyed which equals faith plus works.
So it is clear that things much more significant than an iota or a dot have already passed from the law.

Which means 'Heaven and Earth' have passed away.......

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Law is our Schoolmaster, that leads us to Christ. How's that? Because anyone with an ounce of honesty knows they cannot keep the law. We need a covering. Even intimating that we keep the law is a denial of truth.
That’s evidenced by the clear cherry-picking that goes on by the Torahists. They clearly cherry-pick a tiny fraction of the Law of Moses that they’re gonna live by and call it good. They cherry-pick 1.9% of the Mosaic Law that they’re gonna abide by and convince themselves that they’re ‘walking in Torah.’

What happened my friend is that since the expansion of Christianity you have had a lot of well-meaning yet uneducated and ignorant preachers teaching a bastardized version of Christianity by trying to combine the old and new testaments. It's gone on so long that it has become essentially a separate religion practiced by people who do not understand either law or grace.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Tarbe,

What are your qualifications to analyze RHClark's posts?

I care enough about the scriptures to have spent a goodly portion of the last 26 years of my life studying them.

But don't take my word for anything, be a Berean, as I am sure you know you are supposed to be (because you also study, right?).

And don't forget the analogy of faith, or audience relevance, or the nuances of the Greek language.

Your first sentence is enough. Adding other books is a waste of time.

The first four years I was a Christian I used four Greek books and a Hebrew interlinear to learn what the Bible "really" says. I had full SETS of commentaries. They contradicted each other and at time God's Word. I finally concluded the translators pretty much agree and all we have to do to learn what God wants is read a Bible in the language we normally use. There's no need to learn "nuances of the Greek language" to learn John 3:16 or Mark 16:16. Or even John 14:15 and John 15:14.

I am confused. What "other books" are you referring to?

Any one who ignores the nuances of the Greek language will be easily led astray. Witness how many are just that!

Imagine someone reading in English "it is raining cats and dogs" but they do not understand the idioms of the native users?

Can you show me an example of "raining cats and dogs" in any translation of the Bible? You seem to think God is not able to protect His Word from one language to another. Like I posted, I discovered the commentaries contradicted each other and occasionally the Bible. I didn't find "nuances of the Greek language" to change any of the meanings in the Bibles I used. The books other than the Bible can and do lead people astray.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

What happened my friend is that since the expansion of Christianity you have had a lot of well-meaning yet uneducated and ignorant preachers teaching a bastardized version of Christianity by trying to combine the old and new testaments. It's gone on so long that it has become essentially a separate religion practiced by people who do not understand either law or grace.

And many, at least some, do not even understand the Old Law........ like tithing.....

A tithe was NOT, 10% of what you made, minus taxes, insurance , dues and such........

An Old Law tithe was 10% of EVERYTHING that you owned, each and every year.......... Had a bad year??? You still owed 10% of everything that you owned. Made NOTHING one year, you still owed the 10%..............

Try preaching that today.......

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Please explain "Grace".

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
God’s Word illustrates that grace is a free forever gift of unmerited favor, mercy, and loving kindness. It is accessed through faith alone (apart from works), Romans 5:1-2 and Ephesians 2:8-9.

It is how we are saved and receive eternal life. Those who revert to the Law have fallen away from Christ and are severed from Christ, Galatians 5:4. The Law can’t give eternal life.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Please explain "Grace".

The question is do you know. I know what grace means. Do you? I'll define it if you will. You first, go ahead. I dare you.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And many, at least some, do not even understand the Old Law........ like tithing.....

A tithe was NOT, 10% of what you made, minus taxes, insurance , dues and such........

An Old Law tithe was 10% of EVERYTHING that you owned, each and every year.......... Had a bad year??? You still owed 10% of everything that you owned. Made NOTHING one year, you still owed the 10%..............

Try preaching that today.......
Maybe you are just mistaken and not purposely falsifying.

The tithe was instituted to support the priesthood that ran the whole country from governing, to religion, to social programs if any), everything. The Levites did not get any land so the other tribes chipped in 10% of the produce of the land. The hireling's wages were not taxed, nor commercial fish, nor mining. The agricultural and livestock were tithed and not everybody farmed or had cattle and sheep. There were additional tithes at other times but it remained on the produce of the land. Other people such as the widow and her pennies gave offerings as they could.

So, you might want to correct that after looking into it. I will agree that a person like me should give generously to the less fortunate but there are people barely scraping by that basically don't own any unpledged property. They give what they can if they can. They are in no way obligated by any OT scripture to fork up 10% of their meager living.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you interpret it wrongly to say works are necessary than you have to discount all of Romans as false and many other scriptures. As I've said many times scripture must be interpreted so that it all agrees, otherwise you have misunderstood.
Read Romans 13:1-6 and tell me Paul was not a crackpot or a Roman agent. If a witness once gives provable false testimony his testimony is no longer accepted.

How is Paul's statement substantially different than JESUS - ' statement - 'render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's'

Or HIS recognition that Pilate DID have the authority to set HIM free or put him to death.... AND where that 'authority' originated.....

BOTH seem to be an admission that the earthly governments have a place.....
BOTH admit to the reality that earthly government by man exerted authority.

PAUL averred that they (the civil government) were "ordained by God" and "he is a minister of God to thee for good" and "they are God's ministers". And Paul further warned you could get your head chopped off "for he beareth not the sword in vain". That sounds crazy

Now I have a question for those of you who quote Paul for your plan of salvation. Can you by using Jesus' words only as a reference come up with the same plan? It's OK to use the OT but Let's stop with Jesus.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you interpret it wrongly to say works are necessary than you have to discount all of Romans as false and many other scriptures. As I've said many times scripture must be interpreted so that it all agrees, otherwise you have misunderstood.
Read Romans 13:1-6 and tell me Paul was not a crackpot or a Roman agent. If a witness once gives provable false testimony his testimony is no longer accepted.

How is Paul's statement substantially different than JESUS - ' statement - 'render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's'

Or HIS recognition that Pilate DID have the authority to set HIM free or put him to death.... AND where that 'authority' originated.....

BOTH seem to be an admission that the earthly governments have a place.....
BOTH admit to the reality that earthly government by man exerted authority.

PAUL averred that they (the civil government) were "ordained by God" and "he is a minister of God to thee for good" and "they are God's ministers". And Paul further warned you could get your head chopped off "for he beareth not the sword in vain". That sounds crazy

Now I have a question for those of you who quote Paul for your plan of salvation. Can you by using Jesus' words only as a reference come up with the same plan? It's OK to use the OT but Let's stop with Jesus.

I assume when you say 'Let's stop with JESUS' that you mean use nothing that came after HIS ascension, using only the OT the Gospels and the first few verses of Acts?????

Last edited by Muffin; 05/08/23.

( . Y . )
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 117LBS, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 1,876 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,257
Posts18,525,257
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.