Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Something new and bizarre to me followed me back from a pawn shop yesterday. It’s a Rem 700 marked “US” above the serial number. The receiver, one piece base, and bolt all have the SN on them and matching. McMillan woodland camo stock, Leupold 10x with mil-dots.

It looks like an M40a1, but from my reading over the past 12 hours it seems there have been lots of repro’s.

The SN starts with an “E” Prefix. I’ll get a picture or two up shortly.

Does anyone here follow or collect these rifles?

Much appreciated

Go Bearcats
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Receiver clip-slotted ?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SquibLoadMatch
Reciever clip-slotted ?

Were the M40 receivers clip slotted?

I believe the Army M24 had the clip slot.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
M40's were M24's were not

ETA- I'd bet the farm it's a clone. I guess it could be a legit m40A1 that was returned to CMP and later auctioned off, but I seriously doubt the owner would be the type to have to pawn his rifle later on down the road.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks, faulty memory here.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Since the date of manufacture was removed when the barrel was changed out. I’m not sure when the M40’s were discontinued. The serial number dating isn’t exact but:

I’m on my phone rather than a computer so I can’t get you the thread address but this info from another 24 hour post might help

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Bugger; 05/19/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Receiver clip-slotted ?

Yes it is

Go Bearcats
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Bugger. I’m googling wildly and it takes me to lots of forums with lots of contradicting information.

Figured I’d heap myself upon the altar of those more knowledgeable.

Go Bearcats
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A well executed clone could be a very nice piece indeed.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

ETA- I'd bet the farm it's a clone. I guess it could be a legit m40A1 that was returned to CMP and later auctioned off, but I seriously doubt the owner would be the type to have to pawn his rifle later on down the road.

True, but someone's inheriting relative might be the type to pawn a treasure for a pittance.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by horse1

True, but someone's inheriting relative might be the type to pawn a treasure for a pittance.

Agree, but I doubt there's more than a dozen true M40A1's in the wild.

Originally Posted by mathman
A well executed clone could be a very nice piece indeed.

The Leupold isn't the correct scope, but that doesn't mean the rifle isn't a well done clone

Originally Posted by CreekChub
Thanks Bugger. I’m googling wildly and it takes me to lots of forums with lots of contradicting information.

Figured I’d heap myself upon the altar of those more knowledgeable.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/m40a1-build-guide.107/

If there is anyone that has a real m40A1 it's this guy

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/need-help-deciding-m40a1-build-configurations.7153492/

Last edited by SquibLoadMatch; 05/19/23.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Lots of good info, especially that last link. Thanks.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’d love to see some photos of your clone! I always wanted one myself, but haven’t ever been up to parting with the cash. Congratulations!

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Go Bearcats
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Very nice rifle! Definitely a clone.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
someone went to a lot of effort in cloning this thing! So the "US" marked receiver isn't real? Just someone etched the US on there and had the rear bridge machined for stripper clips?

Go Bearcats
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
also, I want to say thank you all again for the time and information your spending/sharing. I'm not a member on sniper's hide, long range only, etc etc, which may have been a better landing spot for this sort of query. I was a bit sheepish about joining some of the hyper specific forums on the topic as I truly know nothing.

Go Bearcats
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CreekChub
someone went to a lot of effort in cloning this thing! So the "US" marked receiver isn't real? Just someone etched the US on there and had the rear bridge machined for stripper clips?

Definitely not a real US Property M40. First giveaway is the E-series action, long shroud, and then the textured grip areas of the McMillan stock. The scope isn’t right, this rings aren’t right either. Most all real M40A1s were a smear pattern and slick in the grip areas. That said, this is still a VERY nice rifle.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The biggest giveaway is the stock. The barrel isn't correct as well. M40A1s used Schneider rough finished barrels. The Marines like the rough finish on the barrels because it held paint.

The mount looks like the correct mount but its a repo. That mount is still worth a good bit probably $300-$400

There are a few builders that specialize in correct clones. I used Raven Rifles https://ravenrifles.wordpress.com (he is now retired) because he's well respected in the clone community and lives close by smile I had a hard time with shipping some of the parts across the country to have mine built. My M40A1 was built on one of the return stocks.
Here is a pic from the other thread discussing m40s

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks man. I bit the bullet and signed up on M40rifle.com , those dudes seem pretty intense on the topic. There are apparently some "E" prefixed receivers used around 1996 according to the folks sharing information over there, but I'm with you. This is most likely a pretty well done clone. Now to grab a case of black hills match ammo and let it to what it does best.

Go Bearcats
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,471
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.