Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ChanceD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I’ve got a Ruger Hawkeye Hunter 6.5 creedmoor, stainless steel with walnut stock coming in and of course like any real gun nut, I’m already thinking about what do I need to do to make this rifle better. This is funny to me because, heck I don’t even know how it’s going to shoot right off the bat… it may shoot great. I know I’ll be getting rid of the picitinny rail so whatever scope I choose will be mounted lower. From experience the factory trigger on the hawkeye is on the heavy side for me. Which replacement trigger or kit would you choose? I’ve also heard there’s a pressure pad built into the forend of the stock, remove or not? What would you do or what have you done?

Thanks,
Chance

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot it first, see what if anything it needs.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bed it in the after-market stock of your choice.

Jard trigger upgrade kit.

Keep the original trigger parts, as if you ever have to send it to Ruger for service they will remove the after-market trigger parts and sell you new original parts.

C
ChanceD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GeoW
Of course I’ll shoot it first.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Keep the original trigger parts, as if you ever have to send it to Ruger for service they will remove the after-market trigger parts and sell you new original parts.
Im buying it because I like the wood stock. Keeping it for sure. I’ll check out the jard trigger kit, and thanks for the advice on the trigger parts.

Last edited by ChanceD; 05/19/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ChanceD
Originally Posted by GeoW
Of course I’ll shoot it first.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Im buying it because I like the wood stock. Keeping it for sure. I’ll check out the jard trigger kit, and thanks for the advice on the trigger parts.

I've been told by people who worked for Pine Tree Casting that Ruger does that for liability purposes.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bed the wood stock and float it

Click 2 coils off the trigger spring and polish and hone the surfaces. It's pretty easy to get a MKII/Hawkeye trigger down to 2.5-3lbs and crisp with the original parts.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I own several Hawkeyes.

I routinely replace the trigger spring and polish the mating surfaces in the trigger. It's very easy and takes about 30 minutes. When you're done you have a ~ 3lb trigger with a very simple (open) design that can be trusted in any conditions.

I personally believe Hawkeyes - especially the stainless ones - are a good value in today's rifle world (especially if one is a fan of 3-position safeties).

SR

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make sure mag box is not binding and is floating.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

This

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Yep, absolutely check for that.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
It's pretty easy to get a MKII/Hawkeye trigger down to 2.5-3lbs and crisp with the original parts.
Yep. So simple a cave man could do it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some good suggestions so far.

I would add that there are, or were, some good directions online for performing trigger work on the 77. If you screw it up or it is still not to your liking, then you can still buy an aftermarket trigger but you might save some money doing the trigger job yourself.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i like to glass bed and float the barrel right away , i always take my new to me rifles apart and see how it fits in stock and clean the barrel channel out and reseal it too.

Last edited by pete53; 05/19/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
ChanceD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for all of your recommendations! I’ll definitely deal with the trigger myself. I’m going to shoot it first and then free float and bed the action just to test to see how much it helps. In my opinion, it always does help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Something I like to do with new (or old) rifles is to remove the firing pin and spring from the bolt, clean it and the empty bolt body with solvent, then lubricate with Dri-Slide, which won’t gum up the works. I also like to put a little moly grease on the lugs and other stuff that rubs against each other, just a touch does it.

Don’t mess with Dr-Slide in “sensitive locations” like on your wife’s tablecloth or white carpet!

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
IME you might be jumping the gun just a bit.............wait until you get the rifle.

I had a gun on order from Ruger for over a year.........they discontinued it at shot show and informed me, sure sorry about that !!!!!!!!

C
ChanceD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by boatanchor
IME you might be jumping the gun just a bit.............wait until you get the rifle.

I had a gun on order from Ruger for over a year.........they discontinued it at shot show and informed me, sure sorry about that !!!!!!!!

It’ll come, it’s coming from gunbroker, but I understand what you were saying.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Some good suggestions so far.

I would add that there are, or were, some good directions online for performing trigger work on the 77. If you screw it up or it is still not to your liking, then you can still buy an aftermarket trigger but you might save some money doing the trigger job yourself.

The LC6 on the Hawkeye is different than the old MK2 trigger. It generally only needs a lighter spring. I've clipped them like Heath suggested, but a lighter spring is the easy button and only costs about 40 cents at Ace. I'd lightly polish the sear, so it's smoother though. No honing or filing, like you would on a MK2 trigger.

Here's what I'd do to the OP's rifle:

1. Glass bed. Leave the speed bump. Ruger designed the angled recoil lug and speed bump to work together.
2. Lighter trigger spring.
3. Check mag box for binding. If it is, fix it.
4. Polish the bolt and race ways. Make it run smooth like a model 70.
5. Work up a good load for it and hunt it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The LC6 on the Hawkeye is different than the old MK2 trigger. It generally only needs a lighter spring. I've clipped them like Heath suggested, but a lighter spring is the easy button and only costs about 40 cents at Ace. I'd lightly polish the sear, so it's smoother though. No honing or filing, like you would on a MK2 trigger.

Here's what I'd do to the OP's rifle:

1. Glass bed. Leave the speed bump. Ruger designed the angled recoil lug and speed bump to work together.
2. Lighter trigger spring.
3. Check mag box for binding. If it is, fix it.
4. Polish the bolt and race ways. Make it run smooth like a model 70.
5. Work up a good load for it and hunt it.

These are things I would like to do but am a little afraid of dicking something up in the process.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 01Foreman400, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 45 invisible), 2,191 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,457
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.