Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
is your daughter bunking with a male.
5-min.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a college guy, or family.

Boy my eyes have been opened over the last few years.
Adults over 18, signing themselves into huge debt, being told they HAD
to stay in dorms. Dorms priced well in excess of other local housing, but the school collects$$$ over their co-opted, unwilling tennents. No choices in room mates. Often chosen because of differences, not similarities.
Being told "You can NOT have a car"!

WTF?
I'm paying $100ķ+, an adult, and being told this [bleep]?

What the hell is wrong with people accepting this crap.
Decades ago? Oh, yeah.
My kid is going to a great school, focused on passing courses run by tough
professors in the class. Housed on campus, supervised and assisted in
successfully completing.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It ain't Mayberry anymore!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
At VSU my daughter had a Mexican roommate her first semester in the all girls dorm. Her roommate brought her boyfriend and another negro to camp out in there room. We found out they couldn't stay over 2 consecutive days or more than 12 days a semester. And to make matters worse the rules state that freshmen have to live in the dorms their first year on campus. The front desk called campus police when we got there at 3am, wouldn't let us take our daughter out of the dorm and then told me I needed anger management classes.

Life is good live it while you can.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

to stay in dorms. Dorms priced well in excess of other local housing, but the school collects$$$ over their co-opted, unwilling tennents. No choices in room mates. Often chosen because of differences, not similarities.

WTF?

Decades ago? Oh, yeah.
successfully completing.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Had one graduate from TAMU four years ago and none of that was a reality.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My youngest starts ULL in the fall. Mandatory for freshman to stay in dorm and buy one of the 2 most expensive meal plans they offer. This is a state school and with a small scholarship of $2400 a year, and TOPS giving another $2800 we are still in the hook for $18,000. Tuition went up $1000 per semester from last year to this year. It’s a damn BS racket. He will have an apartment sophomore year at half the cost. At least he was able to room with his buddy.

Clyde

Last edited by BLG; 05/19/23.

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
IC B2

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a nice little racket they have going.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
At VSU my daughter had a Mexican roommate her first semester in the all girls dorm. Her roommate brought her boyfriend and another negro to camp out in there room. We found out they couldn't stay over 2 consecutive days or more than 12 days a semester. And to make matters worse the rules state that freshmen have to live in the dorms their first year on campus. The front desk called campus police when we got there at 3am, wouldn't let us take our daughter out of the dorm and then told me I needed anger management classes.
A Mexican and a negro.
Were the anger management classes expensive?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BLG
My youngest starts ULL in the fall. Mandatory for freshman to stay in dorm and buy one of the 2 most expensive meal plans they offer. This is a state school and with a small scholarship of $2400 a year, and TOPS giving another $2800 we are still in the hook for $18,000. Tuition went up $1000 per semester from last year to this year. It’s a damn BS racket. He will have an apartment sophomore year at half the cost. At least he was able to room with his buddy.

Clyde

Go somewhere else.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What difference does it make

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
What difference does it make
smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
You need anger management classes. Pretty pointless last words. Which is likely what they would be, were someone to tell me that while attempting to refuse my protection of my child. Best thing one could do in that situation is get the hell out of my way and try not to let me get the idea they were any part of the problem at all. Holy hell, where has this world gotten to?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My granddaughter will live at home and go to a community college for at least 2 years. Less than $300 a credit hour. If she decides to go to a 4 year I'm pretty sure it will be on her own dollar. I have a private college 13 miles south of me and a State college 22 miles north of me. I see no reason for any grand kid to live in a dorm unless they are willing to pay for it. The community college is less than 3 miles away and the credits transfer to either college.

College is a racket unless you are damned sure of what field you want to be in and are determined to stick it out. I have a niece who was in a master's program and then got pregnant. She borrowed for every single credit. With 2 kids what are the chances of ever paying it off ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

WTF?

Decades ago? Oh, yeah.
successfully completing.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Had one graduate from TAMU four years ago and not of that was a reality.
I would think that was an exception to the norm.

I attended Michigan State from 94’-98’. Freshman were required to live in the dorms and buy a meal plan unless they had parents or siblings within a few miles radius. We could choose our dorm mate and own a vehicle but vehicle’s had to be kept in a parking lot two miles away making it unpractical for just about anything but driving home on weekends.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT

There is nothing “little” about the college racket. Tuition, financial aid offices hiding commercial loans in “financial aid” packages, predatory behavior on kids that are the first to go to college in their families, suckering kids into majors with virtually no economic benefit, the list goes on and on and on.

When my son was at U of I, the guidance counselor refused to meet with him to develop his degree plan because he was working through school and refusing to take loans. She called it a waste of time because he wasn’t a serious student.

The university system in this country is, for the most part, morally bankrupt.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As almost always, it's parenting and what said parents allow...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by DBT

There is nothing “little” about the college racket. Tuition, financial aid offices hiding commercial loans in “financial aid” packages, predatory behavior on kids that are the first to go to college in their families, suckering kids into majors with virtually no economic benefit, the list goes on and on and on.

When my son was at U of I, the guidance counselor refused to meet with him to develop his degree plan because he was working through school and refusing to take loans. She called it a waste of time because he wasn’t a serious student.

Well said.

The government sets the professional and occupational qualifications for most careers and owns most of the schools that provide the needed degrees.

The government then essentially owns the loans and is able to keep prices artificially high.

Occupational standards for engineers and MD’s among others is obviously a good thing but for a lot of occupations the government has its thumb on the scales for no good reason other than control and running a racket.

Elementary teachers being required to have a Masters degree for instance or RN’s being pushed towards BS’s when they learn everything that’s useful in clinical’s.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I guess I lucked out with another mechanical engineer in the family.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
I guess I lucked out with another mechanical engineer in the family.
Most of my roommates were mechanical engineer majors. They were all great ppl with charisma and big personalities.

How did you wind up an insecure a-hole with a bunch of weak chinned kids?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
98-03 at Kansas State. Lived off campus entire time, freshman year with 3 juniors/seniors, 2 from my hometown. Don’t think it was required to live on campus. Maybe it was but I never asked. Never have been a crowd person or being forced into social gatherings, so a dorm and cafeteria would have been pure misery to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by DBT
Well said. The government sets the professional and occupational qualifications for most careers and owns most of the schools that provide the needed degrees. The government then essentially owns the loans and is able to keep prices artificially high.
Occupational standards for engineers and MD’s among others is obviously a good thing but for a lot of occupations the government has its thumb on the scales for no good reason other than control and running a racket. Elementary teachers being required to have a Masters degree for instance or RN’s being pushed towards BS’s when they learn everything that’s useful in clinical’s.
There is no "university system" nationwide, but many across the country in various states do adhere to the troublesome patterns noted above. But, far from all. In some states there is some gratifying variety, others are more controlling. The differences between public/private, large/small, quality vs. degree mill, etc. can be very big.

TLL identifies some important issues and the drivers for those, at least conceptually, but these negatives are not universal - particularly in the detailed aspects - and there are very rewarding choices/decisions to be made.

Before decisions about where/what to study, thorough research on particulars and strong parent involvement at each step still seem to be big factors for success.

The steady move to an artificially certificated society has taken a toll, in more ways than one would think, and it is saddening.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (12344mag, 21, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,796
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.