Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thinking of changing my homeowners insurance. I'm only interested in the 2 companies mentioned above. If you have had homeowners insurance from one or both, I'd like to know your opinion or experience with them particularly dealing with claims regarding your roof. Satisfied or not? Thanks for your response.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
We’ve had State Farm forever. Both auto and home. Never had to use the homeowners insurance but have had a couple auto claims. Nothing terribly serious. They’ve been good to deal with and very helpful during our move to and from Alaska.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Farm Bureau of Idaho has been superlative. I have been with them since 1979. They paid off three cars my kids totaled. Well, one was a hailstorm.
Paid off on damages to the house twice. Paid off liability claims on the autos twice. They even bought my Subaru Legacy when another FB customer T-boned me.

Never a word of argument, Never a hassle over payout $. Best rates I have ever been able to find.

I show other ins brokers my policy and ask for a quote. I have always been told "We can not touch that."

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had State Farm for decades with no deal-breaking complaints. Once had a $4k water damage claim (leaky shower valve in the wall) and other than the 5 different claims adjusters they sent out checking up on each other they paid right up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Thinking of changing my homeowners insurance. I'm only interested in the 2 companies mentioned above. If you have had homeowners insurance from one or both, I'd like to know your opinion or experience with them particularly dealing with claims regarding your roof. Satisfied or not? Thanks for your response.

We have had State Farm for years. (Idaho.) Several years ago, just by accident, we discovered a leak from a copper pipe in the crawl space. It was a freaking mess! Everything was soaked because the tiny leak was from a hot water pipe and had been active for some time. Therefore because of the cold weather the hot water caused condensation in the crawl space eventually soaking everything. We caught it right before mold set in.

State Farm called a restoration company with whom they worked and they tore out everything underneath the floor, insulation, ground sheet, etc., etc. They put big fans down there to dry it out (three days for that.) They put in all new insulation, plastic ground cover, etc. It was a six day job. $8,800.0 A plumber replaced the copper pipe.

State Farm paid all of that except our deductible of $500.00 with no questions asked. They were very helpful. My wife had an accident (no injuries) in her new Nissan Altema. That was about $7,500.00. State Farm paid it all except the $500.00 deductible. No problems.

So, for us, State Farm did us right. Don't know about other people's experiences.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It sounds like you could flip a coin with your two choices. I have had home and auto insurance from State Farm for an embarrassingly long time.

Our family has moved multiple times and at least 6 agents have handled our claims in a timely, fair and professional manner. I have been impressed with the overall quality of service delivered by every agent and their rates are VERY competitive, even during the years when we had teenage sons. Get to know the agents who will represent you and answer your calls, check the costs and coverage and pick one of the above based on what you and your friends have experienced.

I had forgotten about the hail damage that "totaled" one of our cars. They paid a reasonable sum for value lost.

Admittedly, it has been decades since anybody in the family was ticketed for some stupid behavior on the asphalt, but our rates are enviable. See Idaho Shooter above, but with a different strong company.

Still a coin flip.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve heard good about both. I think State Farm is higher.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Farm Bureau is a collection of smaller companies, some good, and others awful. The one here is one of the worst. I refused to do their work when they were bought by one of the other Farm Bureau companies. It was excellent when it was CalFarm. Now Country Companies has the region's business, and they would be about last on my list, along with American Family Insurance.

I tried State Farm, and they have been great in their handling two homeowners' claims. If I have another, they'll non-renew, however. I saved quite a bit by bundling my home and auto.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had both. Farm Bureau sucked royally, while State Farm has been great.

Last edited by K1500; 05/23/23.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Farm Bureau

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
STATE FARM ALL DAY LONG...... We have had them forever in several different locations after moving around several times. A couple of pretty bad auto accidents which were not our fault. And a CATASTROPHIC POLE BARN COLLAPSE under 275" inches of snow load one bad winter in NW Michigan. The pole barn was built by a well regarded company. It was only 3 years old. We submitted two pages of claims including a 20 ft dual axle equipment trailer, Lund fishing boat, patio furniture, big Weber grill, lawn equipment, 2 expensive bikes, etc, etc. State Farm paid for EVERYTHING we had documentation for!!!

And they helped us get through a very nasty process getting our pole barn rebuilt. You need to get a good agent, but State Farm is a very solid company IMHO.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I can’t say enough good about Farm Bureau….been through two hurricanes and one burst water pipe and they wrote checks quickly without batting an eye. Good folks.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
State farm is good until you get sued then you have to get your own lawyer to make sure the State Farm lawyer takes care of their obligation to you. Farm Bureau is OK but you need to take your premium payments right to your agent and pay them with a cashier's check. Twice those people misplaced my mailed in personal check for a premium and then told me I was late wanting another check rfn. So now all premium payments are by cashier's checks a week in advance of due date.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not what you asked.
I’d go to an independent insurance agency that represents multiple insurance companies and let them shop insurers to find the what you want. That agency should know how well those insurers perform when there is a claim.
I had one of the “big name” insurers for years, then went to an independent agency. The insurer they found saved me substantial money on premiums. I’ve had several claims, one pretty large, and the claims were handled fast and painlessly.
And that agency shops insurers every year when my premiums are due just to keep the insurance company honest.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
State Farm is woke as phuq!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had State Farm for 27 years, at the ripe old age of 40 I talked to a guy and wanted to buy a Vette in Florida. Clean driving record, no chargeable accidents, tickets etc. MyAgent gave me a ridiculous high quote. I decided not to buy the Vette it was that expensive. 2 Weeks later I saw the corksucker at a light driving a Vette. I changed Insurance companies immediately.

I have had SF,Allstate,Farm Bureau,Amica and now Erie.

Erie is the Rolls Royce of Insurance companies, there is no better.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We've had homeowners insurance through both companies and have nothing bad to say about either. The last 10 years we've been insured through American National and are happy with them at a 3rd of the cost. Companies that don't have to pay all the retirement expenses can offer better rates.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
FB has been great to deal with here.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
FB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Farm Bureau - I have a long memory. When I bought my 1st new car, age 23, I went to them for insurance. I had a completely clean driving record, not a single infraction. I was a college graduate and had a good job. They turned me down flat, saying they didn't insure anyone under 25. I told them take me now or you'll never see me again. They didn't and they haven't.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Farm Bureau - I have a long memory. When I bought my 1st new car, age 23, I went to them for insurance. I had a completely clean driving record, not a single infraction. I was a college graduate and had a good job. They turned me down flat, saying they didn't insure anyone under 25. I told them take me now or you'll never see me again. They didn't and they haven't.

No big loss

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would go with out insurance before having State Farm again....they are crooks....had a rider on my insurance for jewelry payed $1200 a year just for the rider. back in the 90's...
Wife lost her wedding ring filed a loss for $24000 that it was insured for it turned into a battle for over 6 months....she just wanted the same ring she had they only wanted to pay $4000 theres no way that a new ring could be bought for $4000....we had pictures and a written appraisal dated years before....
They mailed a check for $4000 that would be void in 30 days....made a complaint to the Michigan Insurance Commission it turned into a battle that we could not win...

That was 12 years ago we have a different insurance but every chance we get we will down talk State Farm....I had them for an Insurance Company for over 25 years never made a claim had the same Agent for 23 years a friend of the family....get a new Agent and every thing went to Hell....

Last edited by coyotewacker; 05/24/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

They’re probably still kicking themselves in the butt for that decision.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Over the years I’ve found that the individual agent is more important. Will they work (fight) for you?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by muleshoe

They’re probably still kicking themselves in the butt for that decision.
It's certainly isn't a Bud Light sized boycott and it didn't change anything but it's as useful as most of boycotts we read about here on the Fire.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
👍🏼

Black Cows Matter!
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I had State Farm for over 45 years .Then they raised their rates tremendously. Switched to Allstate and then Farmers.Same deal.They are all high now.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/24/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The cost of building materials the last couple of years pushed insurance way high. Once it's up, it's going to stay up.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Farm Bureau for over 55 years. Home, farm, vehicles, equipment, and life. Enough said

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Get quotes from both, as well as an independent agent. That’ll tell you how serious you are about only wanting to deal with one of the two companies you listed. If your opinion still hasn’t changed, go with the low bidder.

If our local Farm Bureau was the only place I could get insurance, I would not have any.

Last edited by gregintenn; 05/24/23.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had State Farm homeowners insurance for about 15 years and when I experienced hail damage on the house roof, they sent out a investigator who said damage was not significant to replace roof. I complained to my agent and insisted on a second opinion and they sent another investigator who found some light roof damage but not enough to replace roofing. I took the guy into the attic and showed some new water damage. Only then did State Farm agreed to pay for new roofing.

In the same storm, my truck in the driveway had damage and an auto insurance company paid for immediate repairs.

A year later State Farm increased my insurance by a huge amount and I called my agent and he said all his customers received large increases. I told him I am going to find another insurance company and took my business to a local mutual insurance company. A little while later I learned the State Farm agent quit the company,

Go Ahead And Backup
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had State Farm for probably 25 years, we moved to a more rural location, with less crime, fewer accidents & they raised our rates. Then to Farm Bureau for a few, raised rates every year. Now with USAA for everything and added some coverage, still less.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I feel like you're overpaying with either one. If it was even money I'd go FB. I wouldn't pay much if any more for it. Lots of good smaller companies in this space. You're paying for name here.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had State Farm for 38 years. I have no complaints about the service they provided. Had a couple of claims over the years. they handled them with no problems. But I live in Florida, So because of the threat of Hurricanes they raised rates through the roof forcing me to shop for another ins. company.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Over the years I’ve found that the individual agent is more important. Will they work (fight) for you?

I agree with muleshoe. Finding an agent who will work with/for you is more important than the company except Progressive. I would never go to Progressive. Insurance companies are in business to collect premiums not pay out claims.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You can talk up this company or that one about how you been doing business with them for years. If you have never made a claim all is good but make a claim or 2 and see what happens. So until you have a couple claims and they didn't raise your premiums just stfu.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Call the contractors in your area that specialize in insurance claims and ask them witch one gives the better service.

I have had adjustors that will do what ever it takes to make the homeowner happy (within reason) and I have had adjustors that won't pay for schit.

It's not uncommon for horse-schit insurance companies to only pay for what is damaged. Example: you have damage to your vinyl siding, say 25% of the house, that vinyl siding cannot be matched, (out of business, color, style no longer available, etc.), a good insurance company will pay to have the whole house redone, a bad insurance company will only replace the 25% that is damaged even though it cannot be matched.

Then the home owner is left with two options, pay out of pocket to side the whole house, or have an ugly mismatched mess that was once beautiful.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That’s crazy. Georgia Farm Bureau took both our daughter and our son when they turned 18

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
No question: Farm Bureau. Service great plus get a check every year if they make money due to it a coop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own a disaster cleanup company and work with all insurance companies. I have handled thousands of claims for 28 years. State Farm is far from my first choice. They are ok there is nothing that would make me pick them over a random company. You should be happier with farm bureau. I always recommend smaller to medium size insurance companies. They are more liberal on finding coverage which can be a big deal. I like USAA if you can get them. Horace Mann is great too. American family usually pretty good.

DO NOT use travelers. They are and have always been A holes and it permeates to their staff.

On the home owners side contrary to popular belief the insurance industry normally takes decent care of people. On the auto side that is the Wild West. They are very cutthroat there and often flat out illrational. The worst of what you hear about insurance companies is done on the auto side.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have had State farm for all of my adult life for both home and auto, service has always been outstanding, I see no reason to change.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Interesting that you mention that. Farm Bureau doesn't do nearly as much advertising as most big companies and they also avoid high risk policies. That's why their rates are almost always more affordable than others.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
I have had State farm for all of my adult life for both home and auto, service has always been outstanding, I see no reason to change.

Same here. I am almost 59 and have been with my agent since I was 15. I am trying to outlast him. Had to have insurance to drive at the time. Don't remember if it was a law or my parents made me, but I had it.

I have made multiple claims over the years for both auto and only one major one for homeowners. They were incredible to deal with from hail damage on cars/trailers to someone hitting our car or one of my daughters totaling her car. The hail damage on our home was the pleasant surprise.

The bill to replace our roof was a little over $60,000 and I just knew I would get tattooed on the depreciation costs, but our agent had sold me a total replacement policy. I didn't realize that and he explained that he wouldn't sell a policy without that rider. The cost wasn't that much more and I was certainly happy he did that.

The other surprise was the advice I got to put class IV or impact resistant shingles on our roof when they replaced it. The up-charge was $3,200 above the $60,000+ and we were responsible for that up-charge. It saves us a flat 25% on our homeowners insurance each year and paid for itself in less than 2 years. That savings is for our area and I don't think other areas get hit as much so the savings won't be there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102

Call the contractors in your area that specialize in insurance claims and ask them witch one gives the better service.

I have had adjustors that will do what ever it takes to make the homeowner happy (within reason) and I have had adjustors that won't pay for schit.

It's not uncommon for horse-schit insurance companies to only pay for what is damaged. Example: you have damage to your vinyl siding, say 25% of the house, that vinyl siding cannot be matched, (out of business, color, style no longer available, etc.), a good insurance company will pay to have the whole house redone, a bad insurance company will only replace the 25% that is damaged even though it cannot be matched.

Then the home owner is left with two options, pay out of pocket to side the whole house, or have an ugly mismatched mess that was once beautiful.

The universal rule of thumb on damaged siding on only one wall is to replace the entire wall's siding, not the whole exterior.

Adjusters just follow company guidelines and duck.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Interesting

It was Spring of 79. I had just purchased my first car of my own. 22 years old. I made a half dozen calls to various agents. Farm Bureau (Caldwell office) quoted the lowest rates. I have been with them ever since.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Interesting that you mention that. Farm Bureau doesn't do nearly as much advertising as most big companies and they also avoid high risk policies. That's why their rates are almost always more affordable than others.
My son was 18, and still attached to our policy when he got his second reckless driving ticket.

He had to do SR22 for a year. Farm Bureau added $7.50 per month to my policy as a fee to file the form with the state each month.

I certainly could not complain. Nor did I complain when I got a $300 check in the mail from Farm Bureau Ins. As they had finished the year overfunded.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
You can talk up this company or that one about how you been doing business with them for years. If you have never made a claim all is good but make a claim or 2 and see what happens. So until you have a couple claims and they didn't raise your premiums just stfu.

Okay. After three years Farm Bureau gives a 10% reduction in premiums for no claims. Make a claim, lose the 10% for three years.

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks for all the responses men. A fishing buddy owns the local state farm office. I sat down with him this morning and will give him my business. Thanks again.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The government has a monopoly and can raises rates (taxes) as needed. The older and larger the insurance company, the more benefits they have to pay to the employees, and to those employees who have retired. It's common sense and someone has to pay for it.... and it's the customer.

Life is good live it while you can.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Interesting story in regards toi Farm Bureau.

Earlier I mentioned that my Subaru Legacy was T-boned in town one day. Low speed collision. No Injuries. But it caved in a rear quarter panel and laid a rear wheel into a 45 degree angle on a $4000 car.

Over the course of two weeks I was in touch with the Farm Bureau adjuster in Pocatello about six times to get the other gal's liability to cover my loss. I had to get him a police report of the accident. He had to get an appraiser out to look at the car. One hold up, one excuse after another.

I made a call to my agent. "Can you build a fire under this guy. I need the check for a down payment on a replacement. Momma is tired of me leaving her stranded while I drive her car to work."

It must have been a hell of a fire.

That adjuster called me within a couple hours. He made arrangements to get the check in my mailbox post haste. But he was a little slow on the uptake I guess. As he still did not understand why he had gotten a call from an agent in Caldwell. Finally he asked" "OH! Are you a Farm Bureau customer?" Duh!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Between the two I'd pick Farm Bureau.

My ex-wife got royally screwed by State Farm on a deer collision that they wouldn't pay for. State Farm was also one of the ringleaders in trying to screw homeowners on the Mississippi Gulf Coast when Katrina wiped out the area in 2005. They tried to deny claims calling it a flood and claiming they didn't have to pay because it's not flood insurance. Allstate got in on the deal and tried it too. They eventually relented and paid when they realized they were about to get sued into oblivion and would lose. Many of the areas that were affected were majority black residents. An insurance company being sued by a black client who got screwed by them, in a Mississippi court with an all black jury is going to find out that they just keep adding zeroes to the end of the award. They knew better than to do that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve found the agent you buy through has a lot to do with it, but that said, my only experience with the two you are limited to is with SF and the agency I bought through was easy to work with. That said, when I called them for a quote on my first home, they were 35% higher than a local independent agency who quoted me with their preferred insurer. Line by line it was the same coverage levels.

I was later told that in MI (for reasons I do not know) SF was outrageously high on homeowners policies. This was circa 2006.

Still with that independent agency two homes and about 10 cars later.

Fear the crabcat.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
State Farm since getting my drivers license in 1966. Then add homeowners later. I’ve had claims small and large. Only problem was a stinkin auto claim an out of town body shop tried to screw me over on almost 3 years ago. Their process has changed over the years and not for better. Every time I called during the claim period I spoke with someone different. And this was on a $5000 2001 Tahoe. Got to the point I was ready to dump my policy and thankfully my agent was able to intervene at the right level. Since then all is well. Better the devil you know……..

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Earlier I mentioned that my Subaru Legacy

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Well that was helpfull! Don't forget to read all posts, on each thread, you might miss using the latest meme, instead of adding information, or experience!

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Heym06

Well that was helpfull! Don't forget to read all posts, on each thread, you might miss using the latest meme, instead of adding information, or experience!
I think it's very helpful

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

LOL.

Yep, nothing quite like a Lesbaru to make it out a mile of unplowed snowy or muddy rutted two track till you hit the pavement, and bring home a ton of hog feed in a waterproof cargo area. All while getting 25 mpg.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Yes, I'm sure you do, considering what you go through life thinking with!💩💩

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Yes, I'm sure you do, considering what you go through life thinking with!💩💩

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My Dad was an Attorney. He said once he could make a living doing nothing but suing Farm Bureau to pay the claims they owed in our area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had State Farm for years all good and well they still have all my auto and my boat but once I moved outside of a fire service area no more homeowners insurance for me they won't fund it

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I own a disaster cleanup company and work with all insurance companies. I have handled thousands of claims for 28 years. State Farm is far from my first choice. They are ok there is nothing that would make me pick them over a random company. You should be happier with farm bureau. I always recommend smaller to medium size insurance companies. They are more liberal on finding coverage which can be a big deal. I like USAA if you can get them. Horace Mann is great too. American family usually pretty good.

DO NOT use travelers. They are and have always been A holes and it permeates to their staff.

On the home owners side contrary to popular belief the insurance industry normally takes decent care of people. On the auto side that is the Wild West. They are very cutthroat there and often flat out illrational. The worst of what you hear about insurance companies is done on the auto side.

I've been a public adjuster in the State of Michigan for 43 years, I would agree with most of the above, but say it's also luck of the draw in terms of individual adjusters / claims examiners. Read your policy, it's a contract between you and your insurance company, in the event of a claim always file a proof of loss within 60 days of the date of the loss. Don't fall in love with anyone the insurance company sends out - chances are the love will not be returned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by softailrider
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

I've been a public adjuster in the State of Michigan for 43 years, I would agree with most of the above, but say it's also luck of the draw in terms of individual adjusters / claims examiners. Read your policy, it's a contract between you and your insurance company, in the event of a claim always file a proof of loss within 60 days of the date of the loss. Don't fall in love with anyone the insurance company sends out - chances are the love will not be returned.
. Yes on the individual adjusters. Occasionally you get one that thinks they are paying from their own pocket. And others lack communication skills

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
State farm sucks! Farm Bureau of Missouri does not. Claims with both in past. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Been with State Farm about 40 years. In that time I've had two roof claims on different houses with different agents because of hail damage. First claim was in 1995 and second was about five years ago. Excellent experience both times. My only auto claim also involved hail damage in '95, also excellent result. I've never had an accident auto claim so can't speak to that. Both claims were through career agents; I think that makes a difference.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
I’ve found the agent you buy through has a lot to do with it, but that said, my only experience with the two you are limited to is with SF and the agency I bought through was easy to work with. That said, when I called them for a quote on my first home, they were 35% higher than a local independent agency who quoted me with their preferred insurer. Line by line it was the same coverage levels.

I was later told that in MI (for reasons I do not know) SF was outrageously high on homeowners policies. This was circa 2006.

Still with that independent agency two homes and about 10 cars later.

I did a short stint as a personal lines underwriter. When a line of insurance is losing substantial money, like personal homeowners' insurance in that state, the company will jack up rates so nobody will buy that line of coverage. It's a way to stay licensed with the state to sell the line, but avoid any sales of the losing line, until conditions change.

SF didn't want to insure homes in MI at that time.

They do that with car insurance, commercial lines, etc. as necessary.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Neither. Farmers: Get a bid, you'll be glad you did.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Farm Bureau for over 30 years, business and personal. Exceptional service across the board.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It pays dividends to get second opinions with pictures showing evidence of damage. Adjusters that insurance companies send mostly will stand with the company. Do not give your evidence to your advisor to fax. Make him email it so the pictures show up or send it directly to insurance headquarters. I learned the hard way. We had a storm and got hail damage. State Farm sent an adjuster out and he assessed it at a couple of thousand dollars and prorated because the age of the shingles. our repairman said "you were screwed". We paid to have them repaired instead of replaced. The next storm was bigger and we got more hail damage. Same thing. My nephew's wife is an adjuster and he worked for a roofing company in a large city. He came out and climbed on the roof. Took sidewalk crayons and circled the dents. took lots of pictures. Told me what to do. My agent balked and said he didn't know how to send the stuff other than faxing it. My nephew got on the phone with me and he helped me sent the stuff to State Farm headquarters. They paid for new roofing..

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Why would you limit your choices to just those two?

P
petersena
Unregistered
petersena
Unregistered
P
Choosing between Farm Bureau and State Farm for homeowners insurance can be a tough call. I've heard good things about both, but it depends on your specific needs and situation. It might be worth checking out reviews online or asking friends and family about their experiences with either company. Another option is to look into the Best homeowners insurance companies overall and see how Farm Bureau and State Farm stack up against the competition. Ultimately, it's all about finding the right fit for you, so take your time and do some research before making a decision.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by immature
Been with State Farm about 40 years. In that time I've had two roof claims on different houses with different agents because of hail damage. First claim was in 1995 and second was about five years ago. Excellent experience both times. My only auto claim also involved hail damage in '95, also excellent result. I've never had an accident auto claim so can't speak to that. Both claims were through career agents; I think that makes a difference.

My experience also....

Roof while in GA and a total from hurricane Andrew......

SF was great...

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Have FB and no complaints, moved to them when a brother became the local agent.
A couple of minor claims without issue.
Brother left them and I followed him to his Independent agency.
He retired/sold out and I went back to FB.
After a month the agent called and asked if I could just send pics of the house etc

I had reason to call them a while back and in conversation I had to ask
"who is my agent? I've never met him/her."
Lady replied
"that's a good thing-no claims"
Rubbed me wrong and I think she got my point when I stated
"I could walk by him/her on the street and neither would know the other yet that person IS getting a commission from my premiums"

FB has been fairly good but has lost the personal touch IMO

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
No State Farm for sure. They try to figure out how not to pay a claim. I went to Erie and couldn’t be happier!
Rick

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The cost of building materials the last couple of years pushed insurance way high. Once it's up, it's going to stay up.

See, I don't quite understand that logic.

My homeowners ins has gone from $2400 a year to $6k a year with NO claims, and NO increase in coverage.

They didn't double or triple the amount of coverage I have.

No matter the cost to replace a potential loss, they are still only covering the same dollar amount.

Ponzi scheme.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My wife works at Farm Bureau in Southeast Missouri. She gets a lot of people wanting to switch from State Farm. PM me and I can get you her office contact information.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Welcome to a bot/scammer that looks to have been here for quite some time!Very informative bunch of posts you’ve had over the years. Thanks for all the great links!

Originally Posted by petersena
Choosing between Farm Bureau and State Farm for homeowners insurance can be a tough call. I've heard good things about both, but it depends on your specific needs and situation. It might be worth checking out reviews online or asking friends and family about their experiences with either company. Another option is to look into the Best homeowners insurance companies overall and see how Farm Bureau and State Farm stack up against the competition. Ultimately, it's all about finding the right fit for you, so take your time and do some research before making a decision.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

See, I don't quite understand that logic.

My homeowners ins has gone from $2400 a year to $6k a year with NO claims, and NO increase in coverage.

They didn't double or triple the amount of coverage I have.

No matter the cost to replace a potential loss, they are still only covering the same dollar amount.

Ponzi scheme.

I would guess that costs to replace is just part of the equation. The other part is the greater likelihood of risk of loss, due to fire, storms, etc. We face that situation (no claims in 40 years) with wildfires.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My dad was an attorney. He told me to never use Farm Bureau. He said he could make a.living suing them for claims they don't pay. And we live in an area with a small population.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If you drink Bud Light then State Farm is the company for you.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had State Farm for yrs, as did my parents. I like my agent, known him for years. I never thought about changing. A year ago my mother’s house had some wind damage to the roof. All of her neighbors received new roofs and three different roofers said the same that “the damage to my mother’s roof was consistent with the neighbors “. State Farm denied any repairs. I asked for a second opinion or adjuster. The first adjuster called me and said “I denied it and you’ll not receive another”! I dropped all of my insurance the next day with State Farm. Picked up Alfa and have been pleased ever since.
State Farm is Not like it was in the past.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
State Farm is awful on claims agents are great till you have a claim had to get a lawyer when my house flooded they fought me on every item, had to sick the State of Alaska Insurance board on them. Horrible ratings.
https://www.knappandroberts.com/3-worst-insurance-companies-for-paying-out-claims/

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I see that the OP has already made a decision and went with State Farm. However, I'd like to share my recent experience with hail damage to our roof. Our policy is with Homesite, partners with Geico.
An inspection was scheduled three different times. I took off work each time to go on the roof with him. First two times were no-shows. Third time, three weeks after the claim, he actually showed up.
Adjuster told us our claim payment would be $900. To say I was furious is a severe understatement. Tried calling and emailing with no response. Finally called their headquarters and told them to get this shiit straightened out and call me within an hour.
1. They said my roof is 18 years old so not worth much after depreciation. I told them and the inspector that my roof is 4 years old. She said I had to prove the age with an invoice. No problem, invoice sent. So I asked her to prove that it's 18 years old and explain how they arrived at that number.... crickets.
2. The estimate did not include shingles, felt paper, tear-off or labor. It took half an hour to get it through to the Adjuster that her estimate was screwed up.
Final claim payment of $14,200 was received yesterday, six weeks after the claim.

We were going to shop around for auto and home insurance anyway but now have a renewed determination.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Kentucky Farm Bureau for past 30+ years. Houses, Vehicles, Farm equipment. One house claim for roof and siding damage due to hail. I was satisfied with the process and with the coverage.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
And they helped us get through a very nasty process getting our pole barn rebuilt. You need to get a good agent, but State Farm is a very solid company IMHO.

^^THAT^^ I had State Farm for 10-15 years and they were terrific -- because of the agent. Did some shopping and switched to Farm Bureau approx 10 years ago and saved more than 15%. FB agent is just as terrific. Switched my family & a number of colleagues over and all are very happy with Larry. If/when he retires, will be time to shop again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After my dealing with State Farm on a car accident,
then finding that no body shops within 50 miles will be affiliated with them despite
working with other companies?

State Farm is at the top of my,
I Will Not Use list.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
None of the above.

The measure of insurance is not how they cash your check or produce a scrap of paper called a policy. It is how they process a claim and the attitude towards a claim: 1) Figure out how to pay OR 2) Figure out how not to pay.
There is a world of difference between the two approaches to handling a claim plus the result. Farm Bureau, State Farm and Allstate are all of the last class of companies in my opinion, an opinion gained by actual experiences in multiple catastrophes watching them work and the results.

Most of these companies have agents, but the agents do not have any claims handling authority, the effect is the customer is left an orphan, and in trouble.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Go with USAA of San Antonio!

Farm Bureau has basically set their home insurance premiums so high for all intents and purposes that they will no longer insure at replacement cost unless you let them cut your nuts and right arm off!

State Farm same attitude!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Insurance companies are more alike than different. They excel at collecting premiums and NOT writing checks. That’s how they own big buildings and sports arenas.

As mentioned above, your local agent is a salesman, but you will deal with an adjuster when you file any significant claim. He will try to wear you down, trick you or scare you into settling low. Sometimes he’ll flat out deny your claim, leaving you to sue or walk away. He’ll NEVER pay one cent more than the contract requires.

Get a lawyer? Sometimes necessary, but he’ll also take a big chunk of the eventual payout. I always choose a high deductible as it saves premium dollars and also saves time and aggravation by making fewer claims.

None of these companies are out to help you. They are not on your side. It’s just a business contract; no more and no less.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,340
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.