DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not many fatties to be seen.....

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Morecambe Bay, a seaside resort, 19 miles south (a long way in England) down the coast as the jackdaw flies from Blackpool, the seaside resort I grew up in.

Diversity? OF COURSE there was diversity: English, Irish, Welsh, Scots and Gypsies. There was always someone willing to kick yer a$$ for you being who you were 🙂

Failing that, there was always football (soccer) fans……

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by JoeBob
No fatties.
Food was all real back then.

Food didn't have the same function as it does for us today. It was a means to survival, and if it tasted good, that was great. No fresh vegetables after December, unless you had some cabbage or carrots in the root cellar. You ate because you had to. And you had to cook it all yourself, from scratch, without a microwave. Canned beef, yum!

I have one of my mother's old cook books. It has an entire chapter on what the least expensive ways to meet the caloric requirements for the family were. Lots of calorie comparisons, and cost comparisons for meeting your caloric minimums. Sugar and fat were both quite expensive. Lean cuts were cheaper in many cases than fattier cuts. True "home ec".

I remember eating stuff at my Grand Parents and Great Grandparents house that had been stored "the old way".

Not "good" by todays "standards", but to them it was nutrition.

I worked with my Great Uncles Dad (b. 1890's) on my Great Uncles Farm. He was intolerant of ANY waste. You ate the whole apple, including the core and did NOT spill milk when milking. He was in his eighties, walked tall, had muscle and would have kicked my farm kid ass any day of the week.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I wonder what those people would think if they could see the same scenes today? England like so many of us have allowed immigrants in.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Scotty
I wonder what those people would think if they could see the same scenes today? England like so many of us have allowed immigrants in.

I suspect they would not be too happy.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad's side of the family came from England about the time the UK started a 2000 mile canal system about 1700. The engineering complete with 100s of locks fueled the industrial revolution.

This guy has 100s of videos about Cruising The Cut. He was full time live aboard on a narrow boat for several years. The couple he is showing around have been full time in RVs to start and for the past several years have been traveling around the World on a sail boat. Kind of cool to see them make a video together.

I had always planned to travel to the UK "someday" and took good health for granted. Now long distance travel is off the table but I talk to Ham radio operators in the UK on a regular basis and follow several You Tube channels about life in rural UK. I'm (mostly) proud of my long past ancestors

https://www.youtube.com/@CruisingTheCut

Please don't feed the trolls!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I wonder how many of those young boys shown died at the Marne or Flanders or ?..

It does illustrate a simpler and seemingly more elegant time but the reality is that life was much more difficult. The homogenization and pride is refreshing though.

Life should be more difficult in today's world, instead of instant gratification, welfare and no reason to contribute anything to society, when you can live your life as a drain on society instead.

To bad we don't have a society anywhere on the planet like we had in 1901.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Morecambe Bay, a seaside resort, 19 miles south (a long way in England) down the coast as the jackdaw flies from Blackpool, the seaside resort I grew up in.

Diversity? OF COURSE there was diversity: English, Irish, Welsh, Scots and Gypsies. There was always someone willing to kick yer a$$ for you being who you were 🙂

Failing that, there was always football (soccer) fans……
Yes, we all read Oliver Twist.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Everyone looking in amazement at the Google Earth car driving past.
I thought it was filmed by a drone.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Always bear in mind, a majority of the males from that time period were cut down like wheat to the scythe because of the veddy English propensity to do the bidding of their "betters". The British high command in WW1 was criminally stupid, squandering the lives of the young men of the Empire like so much confetti. Although the practice of selling commissions stopped in 1871, wink, wink, the officer corps was riddled with members of the peerage, blessed with rank and money and manners but unfortunately lacking intelligence.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I wonder how many of those young boys shown died at the Marne or Flanders or ?...

Glad I wasn't the only one to have that thought.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've read about some of the 'heroic' mass charges into the face of German machine guns. The Brits tried a mass cavalry charge in 1914 right into a long line of machine guns. It was total carnage. That one ended the days of mass charges. Modern weapons showed the idiocy of charges.
They didn't learn from experience. Many years earlier, in one of the battles for the throne between the English and the Scots, the Scots tried a sword charge across open ground into muskets and cannons. Over 2000 Scots died in 15 minutes and it broke the back of Scotland. A couple decades later came the American Revolution with shoulder to shoulder lines of soldiers facing each other and shooting huge numbers of men. Enlisted men were considered disposable by their 'betters'.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Green Fields of France"

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by DBT
Not many fatties to be seen.....

Unfortunately 🥲

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Morecambe Bay, Northwest England.

It looks surprisingly the same today, except no horse drawn wagons. It’s seen bygone days.

My wife’s grandparents owned a hotel and restaurant there for many years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_End_Pier,_Morecambe

Last edited by Stammster; 05/29/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stammster
Morecambe Bay, Northwest England.

It looks surprisingly the same today, except no horse drawn wagons. It’s seen bygone days.

My wife’s grandparents owned a hotel and restaurant there for many years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_End_Pier,_Morecambe

My mom’s parents owned a hotel along the seafront in Blackpool, my parents ran a fish and chip shop. I was looking at that video to see if it was Blackpool but when I saw the “West Pier” sign knew that it wasn’t (Blackpool has North, Central and South Piers). Like you said, not a whole lot different from 1900.

The coolest thing I can remember, at night during winter gales us kids would go down to the promenade and watch the huge waves crash against the sea wall, getting all wet with the spray.

In that Morcambe video, I’d guess the carriage drivers were Gypsies, into the Modern Era they sure cornered the donkey ride businesses on the beach.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Oliver Twist? Weren’t he from London?

London is down south, we was from up north, yet another reason to get yer a$$ kicked grin

Everybody seems to think that an all White country was like Happy Valley or something. Never mind Oliver Twist, go watch Peaky Blinders instead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some scantily clad babes on the boardwalk at the 2:00 mark +.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Oliver Twist? Weren’t he from London?

London is down south, we was from up north, yet another reason to get yer a$$ kicked grin

Everybody seems to think that an all White country was like Happy Valley or something. Never mind Oliver Twist, go watch Peaky Blinders instead.
Facts are facts. We can compare objective figures of violent crime in what were, or are, all-White nations (or those statistics in our nation when we were 90% White) vs nations overrun by non-Whites or which have become overrun by them in recent decades. Your position cannot be sustained.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
World population: 1900 1.6 billion. 2020 7.8 billion. Perspective is relevant as overpopulation produces a behavorial sink. Welcome to 2023.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.