Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.340 Wby and cow elk,I used a 210 grain Nosler Partition.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
One shot one bunny with an open sight .460 Wby.

One shot one pig.
I dont think you brought enough gun to that fight haha. Awesome rifle!
It was close, I barely stooped the charge! wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I screwed up the first shot on this oryx, after that it was a run and gun for a bit. I used a .375 H&H loaded with a 270 grain Swift A-Frame.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome pics elk. Thanks for sharing!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hit my first bear 5 or 6 times with a 32 Special before it succumbed

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My elk hunting partner was sold on Sierra 180 grain GK’s in his 300 Win Mag for elk. Many times he was having to shoot follow up shots due to less than positive terminal performance. I begged him to try Partitions just to see how they would do. Him being a doctor meant he wouldn’t listen to me, nor my opinions.

I always videotaped our hunts and this hunt I struck first and videotaped him afterwards. Nice 6x6 with 35 or so cows a couple hundred yards off. I actually videoed him the previous day on my hunt. He took a good rest and hit the bull in the shoulder. Bullet came apart on the shoulder. Second shot…same result. In all, seven hits were recorded on my camera and six exploded on the elk’s shoulder, neck or ribs. One finally made it into the vitals and he did the little run around in circles thing and finally flopped down. Poor guys hide was ruined. Got him loaded into the truck and on the way back in he said “tell me about Nosler Partitions”. Bang flops ever since.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
My elk hunting partner was sold on Sierra 180 grain GK’s in his 300 Win Mag for elk. Many times he was having to shoot follow up shots due to less than positive terminal performance. I begged him to try Partitions just to see how they would do. Him being a doctor meant he wouldn’t listen to me, nor my opinions.

I always videotaped our hunts and this hunt I struck first and videotaped him afterwards. Nice 6x6 with 35 or so cows a couple hundred yards off. I actually videoed him the previous day on my hunt. He took a good rest and hit the bull in the shoulder. Bullet came apart on the shoulder. Second shot…same result. In all, seven hits were recorded on my camera and six exploded on the elk’s shoulder, neck or ribs. One finally made it into the vitals and he did the little run around in circles thing and finally flopped down. Poor guys hide was ruined. Got him loaded into the truck and on the way back in he said “tell me about Nosler Partitions”. Bang flops ever since.
He could've done better than that with 180 Power Points

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Godogs57

He could've done better than that with 180 Power Points
Both cup and core bullets. That bull looked to he’d been hit by a grenade with the way his hide was torn up. Glad I got it on video or I wouldn’t have believed it myself.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That cartridge only counts for 1/2 of a 300 mag. So you only get credited with taking 3 shots. smile

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most lead I ever flung at a game animal was back in 1989 when I got the biggest whitetail of my life, (so far). In a shotgun zone with my 12 ga. Rem. 870 Special Purpose Deer. Which in those days had a smoothbore slug barrel. Got 2 shots off at it down the hill from me about 75-90 yards away moving left to right. One missed and the other hit too far back; the buck must have thought I was behind him because he made a 90 degree right turn and came flying up the hill straight at me, first time I ever got charged by a deer, LOL. Third shot was at his chest but went low as he leaped into the air and missed the body completely but caught the left rear leg and shattered it. His butt hit the ground as he went right by me and he continued on dragging his rear end through the woods. Fourth shot was an attempt at a Texas heart shot which went too far right and glanced off his hip. By this time I was racing after him and realized I only had one slug left in the gun. My spare ammo was back in my day pack next to the tree I had been sitting against. Shortly thereafter he came to a complete stop and turned his head around to watch me come up to him. His heart & lungs & other vitals were untouched. We stared at each other for a few seconds before I finished things from 10 yards away. IIRC that's the only time I ever expended more than two rounds at a game animal, except for a small buck that I gave a 2 round coup-de-gras to with a 9mm after firing 2, 12 ga. sabots at him and he was still breathing but incapacitated.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Ive had to shoot twice on an elk and a pig.

I hit an elk 1/3 up and tight behind the front leg with a 180gr partition and he folded up and went down. I quickly chambered another round as I moved toward him and I saw his head lift up up and he got his front half back up off the ground, so I shot him in the neck and he went down for good.

I shot a pig in the head, right below the eye, with a 140gr partition and knocked him down easy. I walked up and I saw he was still very much alive. Shot him behind the ear with a 147gr HST and it was over. I looked it up when I got home and found out my first hit wasn’t anywhere near the brain.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My worse experience was a whitetail doe when I was 16 using a Czech VZ-24 in 8x57, three shots and a shetshow.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
10. 30-06. cow caribou.

About 20 below, 30-40mph wind in my face, eyes watering, gun not too steady, sitting position. First shot was a hit, so I had to keep shooting until she went down. 5 hits, 3 fatal, including the first one through her lungs. The last one clipped her spine and she went down, so I could quit shooting!

I think she was just too damned cold to die well.

I was hunting with 3 other guys, two of whom heard me shooting, and started ribbing me when I came in dragging my caribou.

"How many did you get with all that shooting?", kind of thing.

I looked around, and asked "How many did you get?" Since the answer was "None", that shut them up. smile

Last edited by las; 06/09/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
T O M: I am with you on this topic - consider the source though!
"small twig" - sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
That cartridge only counts for 1/2 of a 300 mag. So you only get credited with taking 3 shots. smile

😂

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is gopher living about 125 yards off my deck that’s good for about 1/2 a box of .22 and still alive. Actually it could be a family of them and there is one left and 20 dead in the hole smile

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by LBP
My worse experience was a whitetail doe when I was 16 using a Czech VZ-24 in 8x57, three shots and a shetshow.

What happened? Bad bullets? Bad opening shot?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
4 rounds on a moose at 40 yards. 3 Shoulder shots with a .308 with 165 grain Sierra boat tails. Finally he turned and I put my last one through his neck. The rounds in the shoulder splattered with not much penetration. This was about 25 years ago, and I've never used those bullets again. Haven't had anything that I'd call a bullet "failure" since. I switched to partitions, and more recently Barnes monometals and Federal Trophy Coppers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was a squirrel of all things. Me and a couple of buddies back when we were teenagers shot a squirrel on a tree limb wounding it enough to slow him down but didn’t knock him out of the tree. After a barrage of 22 lr bullets we finally knocked him out of the tree and a fourth friend stopped it with a single shot 20 gauge that he’d missed with earlier.

I have no idea how many bullets actually hit him but we called it the bullet proof rabies squirrel for a longtime after.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A full 7 from a 30-30 at a deer when I was 10. Never touched her!

The way life should be.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 3333vl, 358WCF, 19 invisible), 15,116 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,978
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.