Home
Stick, now known as "The Ocho" says he put eight (8) into a bear. Who's got him beat???

Originally Posted by Big Stick
I splashed (8) .308" 165gr IL's on a single Bear(300 Winny) and tracked him for over 3/4 mile. He's lifesize. Hint.

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some. Hint.
One shot one bunny with an open sight .460 Wby.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One shot one pig.
Holy crap, I thought .375 H&H on a deer was overkill!!!
I put at least 6 into my cape buff. PH probably another 4. Was getting dark on the last day. Think he fell over from the amount of lead he was packing.
Originally Posted by goalie
Stick, now known as "The Ocho" says he put eight (8) into a bear. Who's got him beat???

I do, badly, but it doesn't seem to be a thing to brag about. frown

The whole topic reminds me of an old indian guy who lived down the road and sometimes did day labor for my father. One day he came to work and bragged 'bout getting hepatitis 'cause it was proof he'd finally, at 60-ish, gotten laid. A smart feller would keep his mouth shut about such things.
I have witnessed a white tail doe that had 7 entrance wounds. 5 of those were from a Glock 40cal. The other 2 from a 30-30.

Dude was determined to kill one with his service pistol. After hitting it as it ran by him 5 times, it ran over to the neighbors where they shot it twice with a 30-30. Once square in both back hams and once in the guts.

I still laugh as they were both trying to make the other one tag and clean it. Wooof!
Usually 1, as where I hunt, you Usually on get 1. East coast wt and black bear.

Out west, so far only 1 per on elk, md, and stink goats.

BC, 1 per mtn goat, moose.

Really only multi shot animal was 8.5ft mtn grizz.

2 in the boiler room, missed 1 rolling down a ridge, 1 in the rear leg flopping around.

Really, he was doa on the first shot, but the guide was yelling keep shooting, so I did. 300rum, 200ab.

I splashed (8) .308" 165gr IL's on a single Bear(300 Winny) and tracked him for over 3/4 mile. He's lifesize. Hint.

Schtick was probably drunk, and with that crosseyed look on his face...

I'm sure every one is smart enough not to believe him, when he posts pics of him putting ten 22 long rifle bullets into a single hole at 500 yds....probably pushes a pencil hole into a target on a sheet of paper, writes 500 yds on it, and his groupies worship him over it...as he shows a pic of 'the rifle', laying in a stream with a dead fish next to it... on dry land.

Nobody has ever told him, the fish belongs in the water if it was caught, and the rifle belongs on dry land. Some one told him that a long time ago, but he was drunk at the time and has been doing it backwards ever since... Remember, no one gets more out of 2 working brain cells than Schtick...
Several hundred at a pheasant with a 30 mph tail wind. As far as I know that bird dodged all from 4 shots of #6's
I remember when I was a kid I had to shoot a squirrel like 5 times. Little bastard would never give me a clear shot and I kept hoping I'd ding some extremity of his hard enough that he'd fall. He was dripping blood on my head before he finally fell.
Shot pigs 3 or 4 times when they were going nuts in a round trap pen.
I think I put 5-6 rounds into a doe antelope’s chest once at 50-150 yards. It was ‘just’ a .223 Rem and IIRC either 69 or 62 Sierra, both of which I had several, several one shot kills with on critters bigger than doe antelope.

That stupid thing absolutely refused to die. I think I followed blood and lung chunks for well over half a mile. I found her bedded with her head still up and finally put one more in her head.

What a sh’itshow that was. Just one of those rare situations, I guess.
Stick called me a bunch of names because of how bad the 300 wby is according to him. 8 shots from one to kill the bear and yeah, not his fault apparently. Dudes a literal tard lol
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I think I put 5-6 rounds into a doe antelope’s chest once at 50-150 yards. It was ‘just’ a .223 Rem and IIRC either 69 or 62 Sierra, both of which I had several, several one shot kills with on critters bigger than doe antelope.

That stupid thing absolutely refused to die. I think I followed blood and lung chunks for well over half a mile. I found her bedded with her head still up and finally put one more in her head.

What a sh’itshow that was. Just one of those rare situations, I guess.

I had ok luck stunt shooting deer with .223, but I had to waste a shoulder to get bang-flops. I have the luxury of enough land and good neighbors to pop the lungs with something big, and follow the trail of blood a little ways of they run.

If the deer going 25 yards makes recovery a mess, I get the shoulder shot, but for me there's no need to waste the meat.
Originally Posted by Seafire

Schtick was probably drunk, and with that crosseyed look on his face...

I'm sure every one is smart enough not to believe him, when he posts pics of him putting ten 22 long rifle bullets into a single hole at 500 yds....probably pushes a pencil hole into a target on a sheet of paper, writes 500 yds on it, and his groupies worship him over it...as he shows a pic of 'the rifle', laying in a stream with a dead fish next to it... on dry land.

Nobody has ever told him, the fish belongs in the water if it was caught, and the rifle belongs on dry land. Some one told him that a long time ago, but he was drunk at the time and has been doing it backwards ever since... Remember, no one gets more out of 2 working brain cells than Schtick...
lol
Another with my .460 Wby.

Entrance of the 480 grain Woodleigh RNSP.

Exit of the 480 grain Woodleigh RNSP.
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Stick called me a bunch of names because of how bad the 300 wby is according to him. 8 shots from one to kill the bear and yeah, not his fault apparently. Dudes a literal tard lol

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

One shot one pig.
I dont think you brought enough gun to that fight haha. Awesome rifle!
CZ 550 .450 Howell and jackrabbit.
CZ .17 HMR and ground squirrel.
.340 Wby and cow elk,I used a 210 grain Nosler Partition.
Originally Posted by gunchamp

One shot one pig.
I dont think you brought enough gun to that fight haha. Awesome rifle!
It was close, I barely stooped the charge! wink
I screwed up the first shot on this oryx, after that it was a run and gun for a bit. I used a .375 H&H loaded with a 270 grain Swift A-Frame.
Awesome pics elk. Thanks for sharing!
I hit my first bear 5 or 6 times with a 32 Special before it succumbed
My elk hunting partner was sold on Sierra 180 grain GK’s in his 300 Win Mag for elk. Many times he was having to shoot follow up shots due to less than positive terminal performance. I begged him to try Partitions just to see how they would do. Him being a doctor meant he wouldn’t listen to me, nor my opinions.

I always videotaped our hunts and this hunt I struck first and videotaped him afterwards. Nice 6x6 with 35 or so cows a couple hundred yards off. I actually videoed him the previous day on my hunt. He took a good rest and hit the bull in the shoulder. Bullet came apart on the shoulder. Second shot…same result. In all, seven hits were recorded on my camera and six exploded on the elk’s shoulder, neck or ribs. One finally made it into the vitals and he did the little run around in circles thing and finally flopped down. Poor guys hide was ruined. Got him loaded into the truck and on the way back in he said “tell me about Nosler Partitions”. Bang flops ever since.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
My elk hunting partner was sold on Sierra 180 grain GK’s in his 300 Win Mag for elk. Many times he was having to shoot follow up shots due to less than positive terminal performance. I begged him to try Partitions just to see how they would do. Him being a doctor meant he wouldn’t listen to me, nor my opinions.

I always videotaped our hunts and this hunt I struck first and videotaped him afterwards. Nice 6x6 with 35 or so cows a couple hundred yards off. I actually videoed him the previous day on my hunt. He took a good rest and hit the bull in the shoulder. Bullet came apart on the shoulder. Second shot…same result. In all, seven hits were recorded on my camera and six exploded on the elk’s shoulder, neck or ribs. One finally made it into the vitals and he did the little run around in circles thing and finally flopped down. Poor guys hide was ruined. Got him loaded into the truck and on the way back in he said “tell me about Nosler Partitions”. Bang flops ever since.
He could've done better than that with 180 Power Points
Originally Posted by moosemike

He could've done better than that with 180 Power Points
Both cup and core bullets. That bull looked to he’d been hit by a grenade with the way his hide was torn up. Glad I got it on video or I wouldn’t have believed it myself.
That cartridge only counts for 1/2 of a 300 mag. So you only get credited with taking 3 shots. smile
Most lead I ever flung at a game animal was back in 1989 when I got the biggest whitetail of my life, (so far). In a shotgun zone with my 12 ga. Rem. 870 Special Purpose Deer. Which in those days had a smoothbore slug barrel. Got 2 shots off at it down the hill from me about 75-90 yards away moving left to right. One missed and the other hit too far back; the buck must have thought I was behind him because he made a 90 degree right turn and came flying up the hill straight at me, first time I ever got charged by a deer, LOL. Third shot was at his chest but went low as he leaped into the air and missed the body completely but caught the left rear leg and shattered it. His butt hit the ground as he went right by me and he continued on dragging his rear end through the woods. Fourth shot was an attempt at a Texas heart shot which went too far right and glanced off his hip. By this time I was racing after him and realized I only had one slug left in the gun. My spare ammo was back in my day pack next to the tree I had been sitting against. Shortly thereafter he came to a complete stop and turned his head around to watch me come up to him. His heart & lungs & other vitals were untouched. We stared at each other for a few seconds before I finished things from 10 yards away. IIRC that's the only time I ever expended more than two rounds at a game animal, except for a small buck that I gave a 2 round coup-de-gras to with a 9mm after firing 2, 12 ga. sabots at him and he was still breathing but incapacitated.
Ive had to shoot twice on an elk and a pig.

I hit an elk 1/3 up and tight behind the front leg with a 180gr partition and he folded up and went down. I quickly chambered another round as I moved toward him and I saw his head lift up up and he got his front half back up off the ground, so I shot him in the neck and he went down for good.

I shot a pig in the head, right below the eye, with a 140gr partition and knocked him down easy. I walked up and I saw he was still very much alive. Shot him behind the ear with a 147gr HST and it was over. I looked it up when I got home and found out my first hit wasn’t anywhere near the brain.
My worse experience was a whitetail doe when I was 16 using a Czech VZ-24 in 8x57, three shots and a shetshow.
10. 30-06. cow caribou.

About 20 below, 30-40mph wind in my face, eyes watering, gun not too steady, sitting position. First shot was a hit, so I had to keep shooting until she went down. 5 hits, 3 fatal, including the first one through her lungs. The last one clipped her spine and she went down, so I could quit shooting!

I think she was just too damned cold to die well.

I was hunting with 3 other guys, two of whom heard me shooting, and started ribbing me when I came in dragging my caribou.

"How many did you get with all that shooting?", kind of thing.

I looked around, and asked "How many did you get?" Since the answer was "None", that shut them up. smile
T O M: I am with you on this topic - consider the source though!
"small twig" - sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Tyrone
That cartridge only counts for 1/2 of a 300 mag. So you only get credited with taking 3 shots. smile

😂
There is gopher living about 125 yards off my deck that’s good for about 1/2 a box of .22 and still alive. Actually it could be a family of them and there is one left and 20 dead in the hole smile
Originally Posted by LBP
My worse experience was a whitetail doe when I was 16 using a Czech VZ-24 in 8x57, three shots and a shetshow.

What happened? Bad bullets? Bad opening shot?
4 rounds on a moose at 40 yards. 3 Shoulder shots with a .308 with 165 grain Sierra boat tails. Finally he turned and I put my last one through his neck. The rounds in the shoulder splattered with not much penetration. This was about 25 years ago, and I've never used those bullets again. Haven't had anything that I'd call a bullet "failure" since. I switched to partitions, and more recently Barnes monometals and Federal Trophy Coppers.
It was a squirrel of all things. Me and a couple of buddies back when we were teenagers shot a squirrel on a tree limb wounding it enough to slow him down but didn’t knock him out of the tree. After a barrage of 22 lr bullets we finally knocked him out of the tree and a fourth friend stopped it with a single shot 20 gauge that he’d missed with earlier.

I have no idea how many bullets actually hit him but we called it the bullet proof rabies squirrel for a longtime after.
A full 7 from a 30-30 at a deer when I was 10. Never touched her!
I think… 4? 5? It was my (1) antelope and I had a Butler Creek objective cap go south on me sometime while tromping around in the hot barren desert for days… lol… which I didn’t realize till the moment of truth, and then it was an absurd rodeo where I ended up trying to hold the [bleep] open with my left hand while shooting.

It was an inauspicious start for the rifle I’d just built for the task, a clone of the wonderful GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM.

Got him, though.
When I lived in North Dakota, I would snipe jackrabbits at long ranges with my .25-06 loaded with 75 grain V-Maxes at 3,550 fps muzzle velocity. I'd occasionally hit them out as far as 450-500 yards.

One old Jack about 600 yards away from me allowed me to take eight shots at him before I finally ended his day. I'd miss three inches behind him, he'd run about thirty yards, then stop and go back to munching sugar beet tops. Miss by a couple inches over his head, with the bullet landing five feet behind him, same deal. The beets were just sprouting above the ground, and I guess were tasting too good for him to run away. Most of the rabbits I'd shoot at would take off for good after a near miss, but not him.

He was too greedy, and it finally caught up to him on the ninth shot. Not much left of a jackrabbit after a solid hit with those bullets. Chunks of meat and pelt go flying.

Then I'd come back in the evening and try to get a coyote or two scavenging jackrabbit chunks.
I find it hard to believe that Stick would ever admit to having to nail a critter 8 times... but I've reached an age where nothing really surprises me any more!

I have 3 multi-shot critters in my hunting history, although on 2 of them I was just backing up a partner. They were 6, 8, and 8 shots.

First one, back in the late 1970's, my buddy Norm and I were hunting moose. We spotted a decent bull feeding along the edge of a swamp, and we stalked to about 100 yards. The bull had his head down in a clump of willows when Norm put his first shot in. He was shooting a sporterized .303 Brit, with the ubiquitous Imperial 178 gr softpoint bullet. We heard the whack of the bullet hit, and the moose seemed to shudder, but then kept right on feeding with his head down in those willows. So Norm poked him again, and then again, and then again, and then again. Five shots. His magazine was empty, and as he dug in his pocket for more shells he suggested I give him a poke. So I did, aiming for the neck with my own .303 (same ammo). Moose just stood there. I had a better scope than norm, so I twisted it up to 9X and I could see what appeared to be a lot of blood on the side of the bull's chest, so we didnt' shoot any more. Eventually we decided to walk up to him and see what's what.. and found the bull dead on his feet, probably from the first shot. He was standing over a big log, and the log plus the tangle of willows around his horns were holding him up. Norm's first shot had nailed the spine, so he was likely dead for the 5 followup shots.

Second one was a nilgai cow I shot with Stxhunter down near the King Ranch. I hit her a tad far back with my .270 WSM (140 gr AB), but as it turned out the bullet took both lungs and the bottom of her heart. She took off running up the hill and then let out a long series of bellows like Chewbacca yelling at Han Solo, weirdest damn sound I ever heard. So I went up the hill and found her down in some low scrub. Her head was up but she couldn't get to her feet. I had 3 more rounds in my magazine, so I hit her in the chest because her neck was in a tangle of branches. She was still alive so I pulled my only remaining bullet out of my pocket (I left all my spare ammo in my pack with Roger) and hit her in the neck but missed her spine. So, out of ammo and 5 shots in, I moved around her and gave her a bullet from my .45 in the back of the neck. Didn't break her spine, although I hit bone. Gave her one more, same result. Finally I walked right up to her and put one in her brain to end it. 8 bullets, but only 5 from a rifle. Tough critter.

Third one was an aoudad that my friend Bob shot out here in west Texas 3 years ago. Bob had recently completed his Grand Slam of North American sheep, and he really wanted an aoudad. Bob's a damn good shot, and had killed 3 of his 4 big rams with a .300 Win Mag, and the last with a custom .308; I don't know what bullet he was using. The ram was across a canyon from us when he shot it at about 250 yards. The winds in those canyons can get real squirrelly, but at Bob's shot the Ram dropped off the rock he was standing on, but we couldn't see him where he fell due to dense brush. Bob decided to hike up to the head of the canyon and come down that side, while I stayed on the near side in case it was wounded and got up. When Bob was about 25 yards from it, the ram jumped up and started running down the canyon. Turned out that his first shot was in the guts and liver. He shot a couple times and managed to hit it in the haunches both times. I had one quick shot with my 270 WSM and 140 gr AB, and it went into his back above his spine. The canyon curved off to my left, so I ran to try to cut the corner as Bob pursued behind the aoudad and got several more shots in, including a "Texas heart shot". None of these shots stopped him. Finally the ram came around the corner and I was able to get a good bead on him at 280 yds and I shot him through the chest. He slowed to a walk at that point, and finally stopped. I gave him one more Accubond through the chest (my two shots were only about 2" apart) and that was all she wrote. We counted 8 bullet holes in him when we caped him out.
4 on a bull elk in Colorado with a 30-06. The first one would eventually kill him, but the angle and speed with which he was leaving, he might have died on the fence of the Florence super max prison. I got off 3 more while he was running with the 4 shot catching the neck and stopping the flight.
3 200 gr eldx from 300wsm, 300 yards 5x6 bull. They were all breadbasket hits, just behind shoulder, in a 3 inch circle. Elk ran into timber. Waited a few minutes, and went down to timber line.

Elk jumped. Backed out. Could hear him thrashing.

A few hours later, he was dead. His lungs were jelly. When I started breaking him down, he had a relatively fresh arrow shaft just under his spine that was broken off. He was a tough SOB.

I did a double double once (double one day... and a double the next day). .300WM Sendero
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I find it hard to believe that Stick would ever admit to having to nail a critter 8 times... but I've reached an age where nothing really surprises me any more!

I have 3 multi-shot critters in my hunting history, although on 2 of them I was just backing up a partner. They were 6, 8, and 8 shots.

First one, back in the late 1970's, my buddy Norm and I were hunting moose. We spotted a decent bull feeding along the edge of a swamp, and we stalked to about 100 yards. The bull had his head down in a clump of willows when Norm put his first shot in. He was shooting a sporterized .303 Brit, with the ubiquitous Imperial 178 gr softpoint bullet. We heard the whack of the bullet hit, and the moose seemed to shudder, but then kept right on feeding with his head down in those willows. So Norm poked him again, and then again, and then again, and then again. Five shots. His magazine was empty, and as he dug in his pocket for more shells he suggested I give him a poke. So I did, aiming for the neck with my own .303 (same ammo). Moose just stood there. I had a better scope than norm, so I twisted it up to 9X and I could see what appeared to be a lot of blood on the side of the bull's chest, so we didnt' shoot any more. Eventually we decided to walk up to him and see what's what.. and found the bull dead on his feet, probably from the first shot. He was standing over a big log, and the log plus the tangle of willows around his horns were holding him up. Norm's first shot had nailed the spine, so he was likely dead for the 5 followup shots.

Second one was a nilgai cow I shot with Stxhunter down near the King Ranch. I hit her a tad far back with my .270 WSM (140 gr AB), but as it turned out the bullet took both lungs and the bottom of her heart. She took off running up the hill and then let out a long series of bellows like Chewbacca yelling at Han Solo, weirdest damn sound I ever heard. So I went up the hill and found her down in some low scrub. Her head was up but she couldn't get to her feet. I had 3 more rounds in my magazine, so I hit her in the chest because her neck was in a tangle of branches. She was still alive so I pulled my only remaining bullet out of my pocket (I left all my spare ammo in my pack with Roger) and hit her in the neck but missed her spine. So, out of ammo and 5 shots in, I moved around her and gave her a bullet from my .45 in the back of the neck. Didn't break her spine, although I hit bone. Gave her one more, same result. Finally I walked right up to her and put one in her brain to end it. 8 bullets, but only 5 from a rifle. Tough critter.

Third one was an aoudad that my friend Bob shot out here in west Texas 3 years ago. Bob had recently completed his Grand Slam of North American sheep, and he really wanted an aoudad. Bob's a damn good shot, and had killed 3 of his 4 big rams with a .300 Win Mag, and the last with a custom .308; I don't know what bullet he was using. The ram was across a canyon from us when he shot it at about 250 yards. The winds in those canyons can get real squirrelly, but at Bob's shot the Ram dropped off the rock he was standing on, but we couldn't see him where he fell due to dense brush. Bob decided to hike up to the head of the canyon and come down that side, while I stayed on the near side in case it was wounded and got up. When Bob was about 25 yards from it, the ram jumped up and started running down the canyon. Turned out that his first shot was in the guts and liver. He shot a couple times and managed to hit it in the haunches both times. I had one quick shot with my 270 WSM and 140 gr AB, and it went into his back above his spine. The canyon curved off to my left, so I ran to try to cut the corner as Bob pursued behind the aoudad and got several more shots in, including a "Texas heart shot". None of these shots stopped him. Finally the ram came around the corner and I was able to get a good bead on him at 280 yds and I shot him through the chest. He slowed to a walk at that point, and finally stopped. I gave him one more Accubond through the chest (my two shots were only about 2" apart) and that was all she wrote. We counted 8 bullet holes in him when we caped him out.
Nigai don't die easy. I had one bang flop and one that took 6 rounds. Tough animals.
I am man enough to admit that my first Mule deer kill was an absolute goat rodeo. Caused by a dumb kid pumped up on adrenaline.
Not necessarily a game animal.......

P/dogs.....sometimes you'll get one at 500 ya just can't hit

Wind....moving target....etc

Ya ask your buddy.....

Is that SOB wearing a Kevlar vest ?
24 of us were blocking and driving pheasants in Kansas. On one drive we were all closed in and the last rooster that jumped had 24 people shooting him. I bet 2 boxes were shot at him. He went straight up and soaked up a lot of shot before he fell.
Four from a 7mm Rem. Magnum at a WT buck. I hit him four times but that buck did not want to stay down until the fourth shot. All of the shots were in the shoulder or heart/lung area.
I shot a black wildebeest in RSA with a 7mm Mag and it took 4 rounds for him to go down. All were in the chest within about 2 inches group. For some reason he just decided he wasn't going down. He locked up with the first round and didn't move, just soaked up 3 more 160 gr Noslers before he bled out. My PH said he had seen that happen 2 or 3 other times, always with black wildebeest.

Back around 1970 my brothers and several cousins were hunting whitetail deer on the eastern edge of the Black Hills. All the hunters except two had filled their tags by lunchtime. While standing around the vehicles eating our lunches a nice whitetail buck breaks out of the timber, running across the meadow.

The two remaining hunters with unfilled tags proceed to blaze away with their Model 94 Winchester 30-30s. Both emptied their rifles and on the last shot the buck tips over end over end. I walked up to the deer, cut his throat and proceeded to field dress the deer. I thought it was kind of strange though that I didn't see any bullet wound in the deer.

We hanged the deer in the barn and skinned it from hocks to it's nose, not a bullet hole in the carcass anywhere. 12 rounds fired and not a hole in the critter. I can only assume the deer tripped and knocked itself out and I cut it's throat before it woke up!
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Oh he did. Was totally the 300 wby fault though. Damn thing cant kill anything if you havent heard
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Four from a 7mm Rem. Magnum at a WT buck. I hit him four times but that buck did not want to stay down until the fourth shot. All of the shots were in the shoulder or heart/lung area.
Some seem bullet proof. Stuck a 250 grain cup and core bullet from a 338 win mag through the lungs of a doe and she ran further than any deer ive ever shot. Lungs were gone. Total devastation, but she didnt seem to care for a min or so
8’s got me beat. 😁
3 on a raghorn elk several years ago.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
24 of us were blocking and driving pheasants in Kansas. On one drive we were all closed in and the last rooster that jumped had 24 people shooting him. I bet 2 boxes were shot at him. He went straight up and soaked up a lot of shot before he fell.

Crap, we talking birds? I've seen a bunch of crappy shotgunning party hunting. It's all in good fun.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Crap, we talking birds? I've seen a bunch of crappy shotgunning party hunting. It's all in good fun.
That’s what make’s watching a good dog do its thing so much fun.

Watching a dog bound through the grass with a high head to about where it marked the bird hit the ground and then transition to nose to the ground like a beagle while running it down.
Back in Jr High, Dad and I were hunting with a friend of his and the friend's son, my age. Us boys were sitting on the fenders of their old Jeep as we putted our way up an old logging road. We jumped a doe next to the road - either sex was legal. I hopped off and drilled it in the lungs with my Win 32 Spcl. at the phenomenal range of 30 yds. The other kid was carrying a military M1 Carbine with a 16 shot mag. He cut loose on the deer. We counted the holes later - 17, my 1 in the lungs and he hit it with all 16, holes in every quarter. It was a mess. Dad gave me a head shake and congratulated the kid on his great deer. I got the point. There wasn't an edible hamburger left on it.
All the stories here about 308 and 30-06 bullets splattering on shoulder impact and not ever penetrating are complete and utter bullsheit.
Originally Posted by mirage243
All the stories here about 308 and 30-06 bullets splattering on shoulder impact and not ever penetrating are complete and utter bullsheit.

Or not.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Watching a dog bound through the grass with a high head to about where it marked the bird hit the ground and then transition to nose to the ground like a beagle while running it down.

Or a retriever with a pintail and a teal in his mouth trail another pintail in water until it dives, then standing on top of it pawing the water.
Either wrong type or weight of bullets used or simply poor shot placement of what I have just read.

Or not.

Go get a 6x6 piece of pressure treated post and shoot it at any angle with any type of bullet ever made for a 308 or a 30-06 and post the pics. I find it incredible how f'ing stupid some people can be when it comes to the destruction of high powered rifles. Don't be a dumbass.

Or not.

Go get a 6x6 piece of pressure treated post and shoot it at any angle with any type of bullet ever made for a 308 or a 30-06 and post the pics. I find it incredible how f'ing stupid some people can be when it comes to the destruction of high powered rifles. Don't be a dumbass.

Hunt long enough and you see some schit happen.

Or not.

Hunt long enough and you see some schit happen.

Tell us about all the bullets you've seen just blow up and disinegrate when they touch a shoulder. Poof, off into thin air they go, put a bandaid on it to stop the bleeding.
30-378 WBY at 150 yards on a brush rack Roosevelt bull elk, put three 180 grain Barnes X bullets in a half inch hole trough both lungs and the thing never flinched. Finally put one through the shoulder, found the bullet under the hide on the far side. Haven't used the Barnes since.
Originally Posted by paguy
30-378 WBY at 150 yards on a brush rack Roosevelt bull elk, put three 180 grain Barnes X bullets in a half inch hole trough both lungs and the thing never flinched. Finally put one through the shoulder, found the bullet under the hide on the far side. Haven't used the Barnes since.

Lmfao, 1/2" hole, huh? Mf'er never even felt em, kinda like a bad cold, just felt like he had the sniffles. JFC
Originally Posted by Whokalouie
Either wrong type or weight of bullets used or simply poor shot placement of what I have just read.

Well, considering one of the instances was one I posted I am going to say you don't know that the hell you're talking about. The black wildebeest I posted about was shot with a handload that I personally put together. 7mm Rem Mag loaded with a 160 gr Nosler Partition over 62 grs of RL-22. This is my go to load for this rifle and on that trip I took, in addition to that wildebeest, Cape Kudu, Red Hartebeest, 2 Warthogs, Zebra, Vaal Rhebok and Gemsbok all with one round apiece. On the black Wildebeest those 4 bullets were all in the chest in a 2 inch group and the lungs in the animals chest were completely shredded. That animal just decided he was not going to fall down with the first shot.

With that same handload I have taken mule deer, whitetail deer, blacktail deer, elk, pronghorn antelope, black bear, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, wild hogs, and it has gone to Africa 5 times. I have used that load in that rifle for over 25 years. Don't try to tell me there is something wrong with the bullet, the handload or the shot placement.
goalie;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the last day of the week was kind to you and this finds you and yours well.

Since you didn't specify "big game" animal and my friend elkhunternm started the ball rolling with somewhat smaller game, I'll offer the following tale of - well if not "woe" then perhaps "whoah..."

My good wife and I were cruising some logging cuts that were growing in enough to hold some mulie or perhaps whitetail bucks, when she says to me, "There's a coyote bedded down on the other side of that brush pile".

Sure enough there is a coyote bedded but with his head up watching us.

I muttered something likely resembling, "Well we can't have that sort of thing now can we?" and pulled the folding stock 10/22 from behind the seat where it rode for grouse shooting duty - which is totally legal here in BC.

Back then it had an El Paso Weaver steel tube 3X with the old plain cross hair reticle and for a magazine I was running a Butler Creek 20 or 25 round whatever the longer extended ones were.

We agreed the coyote had to be about 150yds out, maybe a tad more, so shot #1 just made it stand up as it landed a few feet in front of it. Shot #2 - with the appropriate correction of course, dropped the coyote, no doubt to the surprise of all 3 of us.

Then as quickly as it had dropped, it was up and running and so was I after it.

To be sure, it wasn't firing on all cylinders and was leaking fluid, but it was still moving pretty good.

Initially I shot at it with singles, but somehow quickly figured out that double taps gave me a better chance of seeing where the bullets were landing.

Thus it was that I hit it with #2 as previously mentioned, then #13, missed with #14 and dropped it finally with #15.

It's the only coyote I've ever got tanned. It was nothing special for a hide, but as you all likely know by now with me, a good story along with props - like a tube skinned coyote hide - is pure gold! laugh

Thanks for reading and all the best.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by MAC
I shot a black wildebeest in RSA with a 7mm Mag and it took 4 rounds for him to go down. All were in the chest within about 2 inches group. For some reason he just decided he wasn't going down. He locked up with the first round and didn't move, just soaked up 3 more 160 gr Noslers before he bled out. My PH said he had seen that happen 2 or 3 other times, always with black wildebeest.

Shot a black wildebeest with my 300HH. Hit him but he ran off. Eventually got him in a follow up about 30 minutes later. Wife still calls him the 'overachieving wildebeest".
Originally Posted by BC30cal
goalie;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the last day of the week was kind to you and this finds you and yours well.

Since you didn't specify "big game" animal and my friend elkhunternm started the ball rolling with somewhat smaller game, I'll offer the following tale of - well if not "woe" then perhaps "whoah..."

My good wife and I were cruising some logging cuts that were growing in enough to hold some mulie or perhaps whitetail bucks, when she says to me, "There's a coyote bedded down on the other side of that brush pile".

Sure enough there is a coyote bedded but with his head up watching us.

I muttered something likely resembling, "Well we can't have that sort of thing now can we?" and pulled the folding stock 10/22 from behind the seat where it rode for grouse shooting duty - which is totally legal here in BC.

Back then it had an El Paso Weaver steel tube 3X with the old plain cross hair reticle and for a magazine I was running a Butler Creek 20 or 25 round whatever the longer extended ones were.

We agreed the coyote had to be about 150yds out, maybe a tad more, so shot #1 just made it stand up as it landed a few feet in front of it. Shot #2 - with the appropriate correction of course, dropped the coyote, no doubt to the surprise of all 3 of us.

Then as quickly as it had dropped, it was up and running and so was I after it.

To be sure, it wasn't firing on all cylinders and was leaking fluid, but it was still moving pretty good.

Initially I shot at it with singles, but somehow quickly figured out that double taps gave me a better chance of seeing where the bullets were landing.

Thus it was that I hit it with #2 as previously mentioned, then #13, missed with #14 and dropped it finally with #15.

It's the only coyote I've ever got tanned. It was nothing special for a hide, but as you all likely know by now with me, a good story along with props - like a tube skinned coyote hide - is pure gold! laugh

Thanks for reading and all the best.

Dwayne

You tanned the hide? In my opinion, the story was worthy of a hat. 😁
goalie;
Good evening once more, thanks for the reply and the laugh! laugh

You're right of course, it would indeed have made a wonderful mountain man sorta head gear and that's an opportunity likely not to happen again.

Ah well, perhaps if I take up hunting with my old Navy Arms Hurricane muzzle loader and manage to get a coyote it'd be a fitting thing to do with it.

Thanks for the laugh again and have a grand weekend.

Dwayne
Gotta keep those momentos, Dwayne!

I maybe have more than my share of multi-shot kill goat-ropes. I hope? Or Not? I'm a bit confused, here. smile

This one was a yearling bull moose that came swimming across a lake to us just as we landed the canoe on an island. I was shooting standing offhand, 3' or so high on a shaky rotting birch log, through a screen of alder just in front of me, from the island, after he had circumvented it to the mainland. 140 yds first shot to 160 4th shot as he was about to enter heavy cover .338WM, 250 gr. factory premiums (Not NP) , various angles. He just would not go down! The first one went through both shoulder blades!

I paced the distances that winter when the water thickened.

The second shot took out a front knee, but these are the other three exit wounds on the far shoulder blade, the third shot just creasing the front of the ham, traversing the paunch (ick!). The 4th shot was a GK hand load (I think the upper one) broadside again, but he was seconds from going down anyway. The entrance wound was not evident- I think the same as #1.

I'm kinda proud of my shooting this time! With goat-ropes, 75% is passing, right?

Dwayne

Thanks, I will. I've got my son and nephew up at the cabin. We're gonna get some range time tomorrow. 😁
Wife and I had to double team a mule deer buck in rut one day. Her twice with a .257 Roberts, me 5 times with a .223 shooting TSXs... Seven entrance holes through the vital and rib cage, seven exits holes on the other sides of the vitals. Any one of which was a sure kill..the deer just didnt know the rules.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Wife and I had to double team a mule deer buck in rut one day. Her twice with a .257 Roberts, me 5 times with a .223 shooting TSXs... Seven entrance holes through the vital and rib cage, seven exits holes on the other sides of the vitals. Any one of which was a sure kill..the deer just didnt know the rules.

Finished an antelope with my knife after one shot.

It weren't like the movies. That damn thing needed a bunch of stabbing and slashing.
Kaotic.com is a good place to see high numbers of bullets slung at animals. I've seen 100 round clips emptied
My best/worst was 6 shots on a heavy sow with 270 SP from a 375.

First shot hit the shoulder/heart area. Should have been perfect, but the SP mushroomed on the shoulder blade and "slid" down the leg, bruising the offside (right) front leg. 180 yard shot from prone. She ran about 75 yards.

Second hit the right ham dead center and cut the femoral artery (she was facing straight away from me). She ran (with her two good and two bad legs) into some brush. 255 yard shot (guide was using a rangefinder) from prone. Another "kill" shot.

Third his the chest low (she was in the brush and the bottom of the heart/front leg area was visible). But she was sooo fat, I blew a chunk of fat off her sternum. There was about 2 inches of fat below the sternum. 25 yards.

Forth and fifth in the neck area through the brush--just tissue damage. 25 yards.

Sixth severed the spine in the neck and it was over. 25 yards.

Sometimes, weird stuff happens.

BMT
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by ingwe

It weren't like the movies. That damn thing needed a bunch of stabbing and slashing.

A friend, now deceased, but not from that, had a similar moose story, involving deep snow and snowshoes.

He said when she reared up as he went to cut her throat "she was 27 feet tall". And he was on his hands and knees in punchy snow; they went round and round a little spruce tree, before he got his rifle back in action.

The mental image is epic!

He also said, "If a Native American can do it, I can do it, but I was mistaken..."

He had yet to realize the "pull the white guy's leg" syndrome....
Originally Posted by bluefish
A full 7 from a 30-30 at a deer when I was 10. Never touched her!

forgot - did that at 17. Not my mostest flung bullets, but it was at that time.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Or a retriever with a pintail and a teal in his mouth trail another pintail in water until it dives, then standing on top of it pawing the water.
It’s all good stuff.

My first bird dog, a Setter broke all of the molds. He loved the water and retrieving. Double blind retrieves on land, he’d highpoint a frisbee, run down cripples, was staunch on point and would play fetch until your arm fell off all by six months. I thought I was a dog training genius. The next two reinforced how lucky I was with the first.

Truly a once in a lifetime dog.

Rest in Peace Winston.

Gone but never forgotten.
back again. -- later after missing 7 for 7 with the '94 I did score on another ND whitetail doe. She was moving a bit slower. That was in 1966. The rifle is now my walkabout piece up here. Haven't killed with it since that doe. Might have to remedy that....

It wasn't the rifle..... smile

Dwayne

Thanks, I will. I've got my son and nephew up at the cabin. We're gonna get some range time tomorrow. 😁
Your cabin?

Or the neighbor's? whistle
Have been known to wing a few "hail mary's" at coyotes headed for the horizon...
When I was in Basic at Ft Sill OK, we were out on the rifle range qualifying with our ARs.

there was probably 30 of us on the line, down in the pits.

A Magpie landed on the target stand at 100 yds, right about at the 15th or 16th foxhole position.

The range shack announces, "Ready on the Right, Ready on the Left... the range is hot!"

We were suppose to be shooting 3 round bursts, but instead multiple guys were just doing a mag dump..

I watched this magpie just digitally disappear... only way to describe it...

We hear " Cease Fire, Cease Fire" from the range shack....

"Put your rifles on safe, get out of your foxholes....Front leaning Rest.... Start calling them out drill sgt."

that magpie disappeared in probably a 60 to 70 round burst from 6 or 7 AR 15s....

There was about 20 of us, were pulled off the line, and while others got to ride back to the Barracks Area in the Cattle Cars, we had to march back the 12 miles on foot and carrying 50 pound packs and filled with tons of unexpended 223 ammo.
We also missed lunch.... but by damn did we get that magpie
I believe 6 total.

I like to hunt the HAM season for javelina in AZ. Handgun, Archery, Muzzleloader for those that don't know that acronym. One year, wasn't seeing anything walking from camp as I like, and even prefer to do, I took a ride with one of my outfitter buddy's guides. On the way over behind the mountain, I asked to stop to go up a saddle to get oriented as to where camp was. Climb up the saddle, leaving the muzzleloader in the mule because we were just going to "take a peek" over the ridge.

Take a look, start to turn back (east) , both of us turn north after hearing pebbles rolling. Yep, a herd of "pigs" coming down the knob on the N side of the saddle. He asks "where's your rifle, as they were about 100 yards away, a bit far for the 25-20 pistol I was carrying. Down the hill I go, grab the rifle, get set up with a clear shot through/over the brush, rested on a monopod deal. Bang, smoke clears, pig was up on about a 3' tall rock bench looking W, he falls off like he was poleaxed. Legs up in the air, apparently done for. A second or two later he gets up on his two front legs, rear end dragging in the dirt, and starts making for the draw going to the W from the saddle where he was hit. Crap, I pull out the Blackhawk and start shooting, open sights, about 80 yards to a pig who now is getting his back legs under him and with other javelina running all around him panicked and skedaddling into the brush. About the 3rd shot with the pistol both myself and my guide/friend saw him swing his rear end as if he'd been hit again, then over the edge of the sort of flat area on the saddle and into the brush.

OK, Reload, go over to the rock he fell from and start the search. WTH??? Not a drop of blood there. Obvious evidence in the dirt of where he fell, drag marks from when his back legs weren't working, hoof marks from the front legs. We followed the trail toward where we thought the pistol shot moved his legs before the brush started. It was still easy enough to get to that point, but after that his trail was mixed in with a dozen others as they hit the brush. The two of us, me an amateur and he a paid guide with a bunch of experience working for my outfitter friend, could only find two little dots of blood. Both about the diameter of a pencil lead and very difficult to see in the pink flecked decomposing granite. We tried to follow the herd in the brush, but that was futile as thick as it was, given the density of the brush and the number of pigs that were with him, and lack of a good blood trail. 45 minutes, or an hour later we gave up as there was nothing else we could do.

Best he could figure, and I thought it plausible, was that the first shot from the .50 cal BP rifle might have hit high on his back above his shoulder, just nicking above his spine, maybe even hitting the projection of a vertebra and stunning him for a moment, hence the tits up fall and back legs not working. We figured I may have nicked a ham with that shot from the pistol. Such little blood trail, and we crawled around looking for near all of that 45+ minutes looking for it, and we figured he certainly wasn't hit hard with either shot.

The one I got a couple of years later, walked up to within 15 or so yards while I was glassing at the top of the same mountain, maybe a mile or two south of the lost one. Walked right up a little wash with his buddy while I was leaning on a rock resting my elbows as I glassed. I caught the movement out of the corner of my eye as I was glassing 100+ yards past them. I quickly got the pistol out of the chest holster, same one but with a .256 WinMag cylinder and an Ultradot on it, set the sight on him, and pulled the trigger. He and his buddy took off to my right, where it was impossible for me to see and get a shot. I somehow scrambled over the boulders there onto the little flat they were on and saw him about 20 or so yards away standing there swaying. After losing the first one, this one got hit again in the chest, which dropped him for good. 75gr .257 Speer Hot Core. When I opened him up I could see he was dead on his feet after the first one. No liver to speak of left, lungs were mush, and there was some heart left. Those little bullets opened up nicely inside him and pieces penetrated and left some wounds on his off side leg.

I'll never forget either, but that first one was amazing to see that critter fall off that rock the way it did and then struggle and get going again.
Mid 70s, I was headed out the back of an ag operation, with nearly 180 degrees of the area around me unsafe to shoot towards. I caught movement from my right and it was a buck high tailing it almost directly at me coming down a fence line. I stood still and waited.

That buck was within 50 yards of me before he spotted me and veered. I was carrying my dad's model 12 16 ga with foster slugs. First shot was likely 35 yards, angling right to left and I connected, but he was still running. Anxious about him getting to where I couldn't shoot, I shot twice more. Second shot caught him low on the shoulder and rolled him, but he was up and getting ready to run again when the 3rd shot hit his spine just ahead of his hind quarters. He was dead when I got to him.

That first shot killed him, but I've killed a fair few deer with slugs that ran a ways before falling. I can take the razzing about shooting something up better than the razzing about something getting away.
Originally Posted by johnw
Mid 70s, I was headed out the back of an ag operation, with nearly 180 degrees of the area around me unsafe to shoot towards. I caught movement from my right and it was a buck high tailing it almost directly at me coming down a fence line. I stood still and waited.

That buck was within 50 yards of me before he spotted me and veered. I was carrying my dad's model 12 16 ga with foster slugs. First shot was likely 35 yards, angling right to left and I connected, but he was still running. Anxious about him getting to where I couldn't shoot, I shot twice more. Second shot caught him low on the shoulder and rolled him, but he was up and getting ready to run again when the 3rd shot hit his spine just ahead of his hind quarters. He was dead when I got to him.

That first shot killed him, but I've killed a fair few deer with slugs that ran a wgood point.ays before falling. I can take the razzing about shooting something up better than the razzing about something getting away.

Good point especially if once hit.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Dwayne

Your cabin?

Or the neighbor's? whistle

Mine, but I got his in the pic too for good measure. 😁

I got a Marlin 1894 .44 mag for Christmas when I was around 14. The following Saturday season opened back up after the Christmas break and I wanting to try out my new gun. Left camp with 13 rounds of Speer 225 Half jacket loaded with 25 gr of 296. That was my favorite bullet in my Redhawk and thought it would be good in the Marlin as well. By 9:30 that morning I had missed a spike once, a nice racked buck twice and an apparent deaf doe 7 times standing still at 70 yards. I went back to camp with 3 rounds. Ended up trading that gun for a Winchester 100 in 308 a couple weeks later. Never figured out where those bullets were going. I got ribbed pretty good about it because I could keep 6 rounds in a milk jug at 70 yards with the Redhawk. They would tell folks don't let him shoot at you with a pistol but you would be safe if I was carrying a rifle.
If you count skunks as game animals then...19. We were really laying down grazing fire as the skunk ran towards us....got to laughing so hard at the end I couldnt hit anything. Ended up a little stinky and the skunk was healthy as ever last I saw him.
Amateurs, I have watched a dove fly the length of a 3/4mile dove field and leave the at least 100 shots in his wake to flutter off untouched
I had been in Ambler, Alaska about two weeks when a group of three my future students who were 15, 14 and 16 came up the river in a battered boston whaler with a archaic 60 horse outboard. They waved me to come in and they had small 4 or 5 year Boar Grizzly that probably weighed 300lbs. They had removed the guts but hadn't skinned it and said that they were going to have their grandma Minnie skin it. The bear looked like someone dragged it by its head behind a truck on asphalt. I asked them how they killed it and they said that they saw the bear on a sandbar, jumped off and started opening up with their three ruger 10/22 rifles and all of them kept shooting it in a triangular field of fire. I asked them if the bear had made a motion towards them and they said it had at the start but they all kept shooting it in the head with their 22lr rifles. They told me that they had shot it between 50 and 100 times but had quit counting. They shoot less now with bigger rifles but I never forgot that.
A couple 2-shots are memorable.

A Ram at about 330. First shot broke his hind legs down. Second shot, slightly lower hold tumbled him. Went over there and couldn't find him at first. He was about a quarter mile down the mountain, and 1500 feet lower in elevation. By the map! Ran into a couple guys the next year who had been going up after him until I topped out of the brush and they stopped to watch. They said the end-over-end fall was spectacular!

When I got down to him, I gave him another kick and he ended up about 30' above the trail out.

Jumped a wolf at about 100 yards - it had seen me and was running right to left. I swung the .338WM through and fired, blowing a 4 inch "pecker pole" right in two, just in front of it's nose Wolfie swapped ends as the snag sloooowly toppled, and stretched out to about 18 feet long and 4 inches high. I was laughing so hard I couldn't even attempt a second shot.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Yeah. I got into one of those with a little forked horn buck. I shot it head on with a .223 bolt action and assumed I broke its neck. Left the rifle with my dad and ran up to cut its throat and start gutting. It got back up. I was in the way so dad couldn't shoot so I grabbed my knife and jumped on its back, hooked my heels under its belly, and pulled the head back to start whittling on its throat. Don't do that. Its a wonder I didn't gut myself before it was all said and done. I reckon PETA would have just loved that one for the anti-hunting propaganda.
Goat-fugs-R-us. Amusing in retrospect! Not so much in the moment. smile
Originally Posted by las
Goat-fugs-R-us. Amusing in retrospect! Not so much in the moment. smile

True.

I've only had one multiple shot goat rodeo involving big game. Shot at a deer with .223 from 50 yards. Figured out later that I screwed up and hit some brush in front of it, and the bullet deflected down into the front leg. It ran right at me, but was bounding "different" due to the injured leg. I airmailed my second shot as ran right under me. Then he stopped in some brush 30-40 yards away.

After 4-5 minutes that seemed like an hour, then limped out, stopped and gave me a perfect broadside shot. I drilled him in the heart, he did the death kick, ran a few yards and dropped.

I got a lot of crap, as I'd gone 20+ years without needing two shots, then skipped two and went straight to three. 😁
I had a goat rodeo with my very first rifle deer in MN. I was young, jumpy, and stupid. 12 shots scattered all over hell with a 44 Mag... 3 hits, none of which were fatal on a little doe.

My uncle finished it off because I was out of ammo 🤦‍♂️He still occasionally reminds me of that one, 20+ years later.
Holy crap, I thought .375 H&H on a deer was overkill!!!

Not really

416 Weatherby 300 grain TSX at 363 yards on antelope....exit hole

416 WBY prairie dog

Also 416 Wby 330 GS custom bullet at 3100 fps. Antelope at 452 yards.

400 grain Speer .458" from my .460 going about 2500 fps.

Where I hit the bunny, it was @75 yards away.

Same bullet, but different bunny.
400 grain Speer .458" from my .460 going about 2500 fps.

Where I hit the bunny, it was @75 yards away.

Same bullet, but different bunny.
IMHO, I don't like you using underpowered weapons to shoot bunnies. Get you a 50 BMG.
Just need a .50 BMG now. wink
i was 18 or 19yo and over 6 or 7 years, i shot a number of deer. when it happened, i was using a Rem m700 Mountain rifle in '06 with factory ammo in (4) 180gr Rem. SP AND (1) 180gr Rem RN. i couldn't find 180gr Rem RN factory ammo, so i got the 180gr Spire Points.

anyway, i'm sitting in the woods and i can hear deer coming. then i see them. ok, a small group of doe, which it's buck season, doe season's in couple of weeks, so i let them go. they come on a trail some 20+/- yards left of me. then i hear a deer coming the same way as before. then i see a small 6pt. i let him go till he gets on trail about 20+/- yards away, broadside, then Bang!!! he stands there looking around, so i work the bolt and Bang! he turns around still looking for the shot. i work the bolt and Bang! he then walks a couple of feet and looks around. i work the bolt and Bang! he then runs about 15-20 yards and falls down. at this point, i'm mad and i'm telling myself that while i work the bolt. i'm wondering why and how my scope's off. when all of the sudden, i see him trying to stand up. well, i put crosshairs on the spine between the shoulders and Bang! dead deer. i then go to deer and try to find out what happened. 3 of 4 shots were a quarter sized group, while the fourth was back part in the lungs. the fifth shot i shouldn't have done, he wasn't going anywhere. it was on the spine and the hole it exited was like two hands fisted between the front legs.

the first thing i did was to go to the spot where i first shot the small 6pt. i looked around and i found some hair, but no blood. i followed the tracks a couple feet and i found some more hair. i followed the the tracks some more and i looked up and a sapling was hit by my bullet. that explains why my shot was back in the lungs. well its time to gut it. when i got to lungs, i found out why. it was like pencil went thru the lungs. the SP bullets did not expand, while the RN did(my last shot). i think that was when i was on the reloading bandwagon. a few months later i got Lyman turret kit my gunsmith(RIP) was my mentor.

i can only remember two shots on deer a couple of times, most of the time, one shot/one kill. my brother has one shot/two kills on deer, tho. although he did empty cartridges on deer...i didn't say fire, he just emptied the rifle...lol!!! he was about 12 or 13yo, he just got excited and pulled the trigger with the safety on and worked the bolt. i laughed so hard that the deer got away.

on shoulder shots.....yes, i believe the game got away. if you have a Nosler BT, you have the chance to injure game. i shoulder shot an 8pt at 12' (feet) with a Ruger #1 in 270 Winchester with 130gr Nosler BT and IMR4320 going roughly 3000fps. the shot was in the shoulder and then the bullet fragmented, but it made a mess of the lungs and heart (lung soup with chunks of heart). after i was done field dressing it, i looked at the lung cavity and there was bruise or holes on the exit side of the lungs, just a hole going in. i had to throw the whole shoulder away form bloodshot meat. now i download the Nosler BT and the Hornady SST to 2700-2800fps and then the bullet mushrooms no matter what distance it is. yes, i shot many shoulders at 3000fps, before i downloaded them. i could see that the HP, BT or SST could fragment on the shoulder and only go into one lung and thats the recipe for trouble. i don't like track wounded deer, so i make sure of my first shot.

mostly i use cast bullets (10 - 15BHN) for deer. they are FN, WFN, and LFN. i don't use RN, although i'm told to soften up alloy (7 thru 12 BHN), but i don't know just because i don't like to track wounded deer.
I video'd a feral goat being shot from 70 yards with a 6.5x55 11 times before she fell.
Astonishing to see, it is the only animal I ever witnessed that required reloading the rifle 3 times.
If you don't know feral goats, it is utterly foolish to compare them to deer in toughness.
Besides a couple running deer with buckshot, I've only had to shoot one deer more than once. One morning, with the sun barely up, I looked down a lane in the woods and saw a large bodied deer with its head down. I shot him with a Nosler 240gr JHP out of a Remington 788 .44 Magnum. After the shot, I saw nothing. I didn't see him drop, nor did I see or hear him run. I just figured he was laying in the tall grass so got out of the stand and slowly made my way to where he was. Nothing. No deer, no blood. I slowly started walking in the direction he was facing. After about 100 yards, I jumped him and saw this large, odd antler. He was limping visibly going away from me and I took a snap shot. He kept going. I should have backed out but was determined to get another bullet into him. I jumped him two more times without getting a shot and finally backed off. I went to my buddy's stand and told him what happened then drove home (less than 10 miles) and grabbed two shotguns.

When I returned, my buddy and I went into the thicket and I eventually jumped him again. I had a clear shot and my buckshot load misfired.... By the time I got another round in the chamber he was gone again. Eventually we decided I would go out and stand on the logging road while my buddy tried to push him towards me. Eventually I heard him yell "He's coming your way" and I heard crashing through the brush. Sure enough, he popped out on the road about 40 yards away. I threw up and fired and he dropped. When I got to him he was still trying to get up so I pulled my Colt Mustang out of my pocket and gave him two .380s in the back of the noggin. So it took two .44 Magnums, one load of 0 Buck and two .380s to get him in the truck. The first .44 passed through that area above the lungs and below the spine, just barely taking a small chunk out of the top of one lung, then breaking the offside shoulder. The second .44 harmlessly grazed his side as he was going away from me. It was a big bodied buck with the freak rack shown.

Happened to me. Early 90's. Shot an antelope buck square on the shoulder with a 165 grain Nosler BT out of a 300 Win Mag at about 3200 fts at about 150 yards. When the gun cracked hair went flying in every direction. Antelope stumbled off with a blown up shoulder but it never penetrated the scapula. Broke his shoulder but not one piece of that bullet made it through. Stuck the next one in his ribs and killed him. Saw a women do the same thing on an antelope hunt a year or 2 later with a 243 shooting 100 gr. Nosler BTs. Blew the shoulder apart and we chased that thing all over the state of Montana before we got it killed. Saw a guy shoot an elk all to pieces with 180 grain Winchester BTs in about 2008 with a 300 WSM. Another sheetshow. What a mess that thing was. Looked like it had been hit by a tractor trailer. I asked the guy why he chose that bullet to hunt elk and he said it was the most accurate one he tried.

Nothing utter about any of it. Saw it all with my own eyes.
Originally Posted by 99guy

Happened to me. Early 90's. Shot an antelope buck square on the shoulder with a 165 grain Nosler BT out of a 300 Win Mag at about 3200 fts at about 150 yards. When the gun cracked hair went flying in every direction. Antelope stumbled off with a blown up shoulder but it never penetrated the scapula. Broke his shoulder but not one piece of that bullet made it through. Stuck the next one in his ribs and killed him. Saw a women do the same thing on an antelope hunt a year or 2 later with a 243 shooting 100 gr. Nosler BTs. Blew the shoulder apart and we chased that thing all over the state of Montana before we got it killed. Saw a guy shoot an elk all to pieces with 180 grain Winchester BTs in about 2008 with a 300 WSM. Another sheetshow. What a mess that thing was. Looked like it had been hit by a tractor trailer. I asked the guy why he chose that bullet to hunt elk and he said it was the most accurate one he tried.

Another complete and utter bullsheit story.

Armored antelope?
My own personal story is a buck my father wounded when he was old and near the end of his hunting career. He shot 4 or 5 times at it and broke its front leg. So my brother and I went after it. So once an animal is wounded the aren't any more bad shots to try and get it killed and recovered. Gloves come off then.

It was in Pa and it was on a large farm I was the manager of at the time. It crawled into every nasty spot of multiflora rose and autumn olive it could find and a couple of times it broke cover and was blazing through the brush with both my brother and I shooting at it. We were walking through the stuff with a gun in one hand and a machete in the other and every time it busted out, we would have to drop the knife and start shooting. It finally broke out across a cut corn field at long range and my brother, and I continued to shoot at it although now it had a broke front and back leg. It got across to the neighbor's property and we heard one shot. Walked over there and there the poor buck laid and was absolutely shot to pieces. Only fatal shot was fired by the neighbor boy. He shot once at it and hit it right behind the shoulder and killed it stone dead. He asked us if we wanted it. Haha. Left it with him. Wasn't enough left of it to trouble ourselves. Not even a big buck. Puny little 6 point buck.

I don't even know how many shots were fired at that deer, I suspect it could have easily been 20. Or more. I often wonder what the neighbor boy thought hearing all that shooting and then seeing that deer stumble up to him and then 2 hunters with no bullets, bloody hands and faces and clothes torn to pieces come behind to see the deer.

Probably thought those are some sorry ass hunters, because that is exactly what I would have thought.
Originally Posted by Raferman

Armored antelope?

Level III plates 😁
Not necessarily.

I had a 210NP .338 blow up on a moose shoulder blade, totally shattering the blade. Near side lung was peppered with bits of bone and lead, but no damage to offside lung. Never found the back half of the bullet. I was not impressed when that moose came up off the ground when I was 10 feet away, in front of it - well I was, but not by the bullet performance! (Never did that again either!) Never used NP210 again, tho I'm sure that was an anomaly. That was about 20 years back.

Gonna load up the remaining 25 or so 210s for caribou this fall if I take that rifle, just to get rid of them - should work on those critters.

Nothing wrong or spectacular about the antelope.

Poor bullet construction. You haven't hunted much outside of bama have you?

I've humted all over the country, I'm just not stupid enough to believe a 180 grain bullet traveling 3K just encounters antelope hair and just goes poof. Just stfu and quit making yourself look like a f'ing idiot.

I've humted all over the country, I'm just not stupid enough to believe a 180 grain bullet traveling 3K just encounters antelope hair and just goes poof. Just stfu and quit making yourself look like a f'ing idiot.

Happened. Hit bone and exploded, not hair. Small point, but it was a 165 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullet not 180.

If you don't think that can happen, it exposes you as somebody that hasn't shot much or hunted much or seen much game killed outside of what you have shot out of your tree stand overlooking a pile of corn.

Just a big mouth now manifested with a key board.

Put the bottle down. Time for bed.
There used to be a huge buck that lived over on the neighbor place to ours. We didn’t know he lived there because he was pretty much nocturnal, neighbor said he had seen him a couple times but only in the headlights when he got home late at night.

Well opening morning of rifle season, and smack in the middle of the rut, that sucker is laying in the middle of a buffalo grass pasture with a hot doe. They’re in plain sight of the highway and there’s 7 other smaller bucks staying close by right out in the open. When the smaller ones would move in too close the big boy would get up and make a run at them and push them back before laying back down beside the doe.

We were done with the morning hunt and headed home when we happen upon all of this taking place. We’re watching it all go down when the neighbor’s nephew and his buddy come pulling up to see what we’re doing and we point it out. They quickly circle around to walk in from behind the hill and try to kill him.

We head back onto our place and set up on the hill to watch and see what happens.

As soon as they topped the ridge to the west of the deer the doe saw them and headed out. When the big bastard followed the bullets started flying. They were 3/4 of a mile from our fence line with a bunch of rough country in between. Deep rocky draws chocked full of wild plums, cedars, and briars. Every time the deer would come into the open, BAM BAM BAM they’d empty their rifles. The deer would get down in the brushy bottoms and hunker down until the guys would come over on top of them and throw a rock down in the bottom or get too close to where they were laying and the lead would start flying again.

Eventually they pushed the whole entourage of 8 bucks and what must have been the best smelling doe in the county across the fence where the giant and the next biggest buck died from one .270 bullet apiece fired by my mom and dad. When they caught up and we talked to them they had two shells left between them, they’d gotten out of the truck with a box each. One guy was completely out and the other had only gotten off 18 rounds!

That has to be the most ammo I’ve ever seen expended on one deer and I’ve been in on some rodeos.

Happened. Hit bone and exploded, not hair. Small point, but it was a 165 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullet not 180.

If you don't think that can happen, it exposes you as somebody that hasn't shot much or hunted much or seen much game killed outside of what you have shot out of your tree stand overlooking a pile of corn.

Go shoot a piece of 3/8 inch steel plate with something as small as a 55 gr NBT, even at an angle and get back to me. Don't blame your sheitty shooting skills on a 165 gr bullet blowing up on an antelope 🤣🤣🤣
You drooling dumbfhuck one shot shooters are a hoot. Smooch a 190 with .798 BC in the lands, add in a Chiner Mofo for the Mojo, and get off the couch. Hint. Lafin.
This buck was a hard charger. 55 yards and he just wouldn't give up.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
I haven't read the thread, but since shot, by definition, is bullets, I'm not sure. I have shot 3 12 ga 3"mag #6 shot shells at a duck and that is a game animal.

So, IIRC, there is 1 1/2 oz shot, in that shot shell and that's about 330 shot/shell. So, 990 bullets flung at a game animal.

And, might I add, that/those dead ducks flew away.

Go shoot a piece of 3/8 inch steel plate with something as small as a 55 gr NBT, even at an angle and get back to me. Don't blame your sheitty shooting skills on a 165 gr bullet blowing up on an antelope 🤣🤣🤣

Bullet hit the buck on the point of the shoulder. Nothing wrong with my shooting skills. That was 30 years ago when you were still probably sheeting yellow in diapers. Nosler has cleaned that up since. Shooting a ballistic tip now at 3/4 inch piece of steel would prove nothing. But how would you know that?

The fact that you have a big mouth, a bottle and a key board proves that you know exactly nothing.

Rookie.
Not a bad question. Were Dinks considered game animals back in the day?
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Yes.

Always and forever.

Bullet hit the buck on the point of the shoulder. Nothing wrong with my shooting skills. That was 30 years ago when you were still probably sheeting yellow in diapers. Nosler has cleaned that up since. Shooting a ballistic tip now at 3/4 inch piece of steel would prove nothing. But how would you know that?

The fact that you have a big mouth, a bottle and a key board proves that you know exactly nothing.

Rookie.

I was 30 thirty years ago knucklehead. Bullets don't bounce off of antelopes shoulders, then or now. Maybe you were huntin with your Red Ryder BB gun while watching A Christmas Story

For you they were, I wish I could have watched you. 🤣🤣🤣
OK then, likely the bullet count was around 8,000 for the average hunt when they showed their ass.
OK then, likely the bullet count was around 8,000 for the average hunt when they showed their ass.

Show off

😁

I didn't miss, but only got to shoot a few.

That's ok, you prolly dinged a few you didn't even know about. 🤣
Probably. There was no bag limit.
Hmm. Took 6 shoots on a bull elk.
First shot broke his shoulder and her ran down into a drainage/creek bed and back up on the other side.
Tried to connect on him while he was on the run and went though remainder 4 rounds. When he finally stopped on other side of the hill, about same height I was standing at. I could only see his neck though the brush.
Squeeze off and click. Kept my rifle on him because I want sure I’d find him and grabbed an extra mag I had in the back pack/waist strap pocket. Shot number 6 finished him with a neck shot.
Also Found a broad head and a partition in his hind quarter. I shoot ttsx.
Good bull for 2.5 year old. One of quarters had to get thrown out on it.
Myself and two friends took a guys whose name is Larry on a hound hunt for a bear. Larry wanted to shoot one with his bow so he had the quiver loaded with six arrows and was carrying an old 357 Blackhawk in a waist holster. We turned loose the dogs and within an hour had a 250 lb bear treed. He was only about halfway up the tree perched on a big limb. Larry got excited. The dogs were howling and bear was moving around branch and Larry started shooting. He shot all six arrows in his bow connecting wit a couple of them. Harry and I scrounged up a couple arrows that had come to ground and he shot them agin. Bear still not dead. Larry then pulled his old Blackhawk and completely emptied it too ! By now Harry is on the ground behind him rolling with fits of laughter. Larry reloaded the 357 and shot three more times before he rolled that bear outta the tree. Id have to go back and count all the shots but it was a bunch.
Was quite a day.

Best, Billy
Well, took about 5 shots with 00 at a buck on a south Georgia dog drive. The deer popped out of the thick brush about 15 feet in front of me and caught me off guard. He saw me and went into high gear, and I started wing shooting. Folded him with the last shot, I think I did kill a bunch of small trees tho.

Same place, saw a buck about 12 chains away (264 yards) running across a field of bedded pines. Took one shot at him as he paused and he jumped as I pulled the trigger. Wasn't sure if I hit him, so I took a running shot before he disappeared into the swamp. I got on his trail, and discovered the last shot had entered high on his right hip angling down, opening up his belly like I had field dressed him. He strung guts for 20 yards on bushes, before they tore off and the blood trail nearly disappeared. I tracked him nearly a half mile before I found him bedded in thick titi. He stood up when I approached and tried to hook me, had to grab one side of the rack and cut his throat to end it.

They can be so darn tough, other times I've killed them with 1 arrow and they barely took a step after the shot.

But so far, with the exception of this one, all others have been one shot kills from either an 06, 280, or my favorite 1950 Marlin 30-30.

But not 8 shots yet...
Three shots on the biggest whitetail I had ever seen at that point, 152” ten point.
But it was with a muzzleloader. Back when shooting hours in Illinois ended at sunset, saw the buck 70 yards away with 10 minutes left for legal shooting. First shot slightly quartering to me broke the left shoulder. Buck ran/stumbled toward me and laid down 12 yards off the base of the tree I was in. Waited a couple minutes for him to expire then looked at my watch and only had 5 minutes left on shooting hours. Didn’t want him to get up and stumble off after hours. Reloaded and fired a steep angle shot to anchor him. He jumped up, ran 40 yards and laid down again with his head up looking around. I fired shot three with 2 minutes on the clock and he tipped over for good. Every shot was fatal but the clock pressured me to keep shooting. I hated shooting hours ending when you still had a good 30 minutes of daylight left. They changed that rule a few years later.
I've fired 3 shots twice. Once at the best whitetail I've ever killed and the other time at a 260 lb black bear. The 1st shot was the killing shot both times, but the animals showed no signs of being hit so I kept shooting.

The deer ran about 100 yards before just falling over. The bear about 50 yards, stopped and looked back. The 3rd shot finished him, but he wouldn't have gone far without it.
I just wanna hear more stories about bullets bouncing off of antelopes shoulders
I just wanna hear more stories about bullets bouncing off of antelopes shoulders

😂🤣😂🤣😂😁
Loading Bt at 3200 might get those. Kept at <2900, not so much. Pays to know the bullet you are using. Pays even more to put it where it will do its job.

I went to hunt deer with my uncle and cousing back when I was about sixteen. Took my Winchester 1200 20ga, with slugs. Well, that was no good, according to my uncle. He loaned me his 742 .243. So here I sit on a log in this little ravine, holding that 742 with the ten round mag full of what was probably Corelokt 100gr. ammo, and this line of does come down the hill at me. I just let them come. Shot the lead doe in the chest at 20 yards. She turns to the right, but doesn’t go down. I hit her again, right behind the shoulder. She starts moving, so I kept shooting. I think I was seven or eight rounds in when she fell. My uncle said it sounded like war broke out. I was simply thinking I should have used the 20ga. It was a small doe, but she ate good, even though the chest cavity was jello. I don’t know if the bullets failed to open, came apart, or she was just a “tough” deer.
Those old early 90’s ballistic tips were not exactly the best bullet out there. What a mess they would sometimes make on animals as small as pronghorn. I can’t say I ever saw them fail to penetrate a doe antelope’s shoulder, but based on what I did see of them, .277” and .308” specifically, at hyper velocity I wouldn’t totally discount the possibility.

FWIW, I have seen 6.5mm bergers blow up on elk shoulders without penetrating, but I am half convinced it was my particular rifle that made them fail.
Originally Posted by APredator
Loading Bt at 3200 might get those. Kept at <2900, not so much. Pays to know the bullet you are using. Pays even more to put it where it will do its job.

I went to hunt deer with my uncle and cousing back when I was about sixteen. Took my Winchester 1200 20ga, with slugs. Well, that was no good, according to my uncle. He loaned me his 742 .243. So here I sit on a log in this little ravine, holding that 742 with the ten round mag full of what was probably Corelokt 100gr. ammo, and this line of does come down the hill at me. I just let them come. Shot the lead doe in the chest at 20 yards. She turns to the right, but doesn’t go down. I hit her again, right behind the shoulder. She starts moving, so I kept shooting. I think I was seven or eight rounds in when she fell. My uncle said it sounded like war broke out. I was simply thinking I should have used the 20ga. It was a small doe, but she ate good, even though the chest cavity was jello. I don’t know if the bullets failed to open, came apart, or she was just a “tough” deer.

Bullsheit
FWIW, I have seen 6.5mm bergers blow up on elk shoulders without penetrating, but I am half convinced it was my particular rifle that made them fail.

Bullsheit

Show off

😁

I didn't miss, but only got to shoot a few.

Grin..

Bullsheit

It is comforting to know you're more familiar with my experiences than I.
Egzackly ! Well, aint that special? smile
The NYC police probably have us all beat.

Bb

180 GKs are SOFT!!! I had a buddy that loved them too but after watching similar performance, was able to talk him into Swift Sciroccos, which worked much better. Never could talk him into Partitions, the fact that they have exposed lead in the base was a no go for him. (God only know why)

Should’ve used Ballistic Tips, just ask these guys.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...rch/true/re-nosler-bt-vs-ab#Post18352694
Last buck I killed with a 243. I put 2 through the ribcage. 1 in the tail bone. 1 in the side of the neck. He laid down after that one. When he started getting back up I put one right under the ear. That finished him off. Never deer hunted with a.varmint cartrige again and have been happy with the results. Now I just shoot once and go get them.
Last buck I killed with a 243. I put 2 through the ribcage. 1 in the tail bone. 1 in the side of the neck. He laid down after that one. When he started getting back up I put one right under the ear. That finished him off. Never deer hunted with a.varmint cartrige again and have been happy with the results. Now I just shoot once and go get them.

Bullsheit
© 24hourcampfire