-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not a bad question. Were Dinks considered game animals back in the day?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Yes.

Always and forever.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by mirage243
All the stories here about 308 and 30-06 bullets splattering on shoulder impact and not ever penetrating are complete and utter bullsheit.

Happened to me. Early 90's. Shot an antelope buck square on the shoulder with a 165 grain Nosler BT out of a 300 Win Mag at about 3200 fts at about 150 yards. When the gun cracked hair went flying in every direction. Antelope stumbled off with a blown up shoulder but it never penetrated the scapula. Broke his shoulder but not one piece of that bullet made it through. Stuck the next one in his ribs and killed him. Saw a women do the same thing on an antelope hunt a year or 2 later with a 243 shooting 100 gr. Nosler BTs. Blew the shoulder apart and we chased that thing all over the state of Montana before we got it killed. Saw a guy shoot an elk all to pieces with 180 grain Winchester BTs in about 2008 with a 300 WSM. Another sheetshow. What a mess that thing was. Looked like it had been hit by a tractor trailer. I asked the guy why he chose that bullet to hunt elk and he said it was the most accurate one he tried.

Nothing utter about any of it. Saw it all with my own eyes.

Another complete and utter bullsheit story.

Nothing wrong or spectacular about the antelope.

Poor bullet construction. You haven't hunted much outside of bama have you?

I've humted all over the country, I'm just not stupid enough to believe a 180 grain bullet traveling 3K just encounters antelope hair and just goes poof. Just stfu and quit making yourself look like a f'ing idiot.

Happened. Hit bone and exploded, not hair. Small point, but it was a 165 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullet not 180.

If you don't think that can happen, it exposes you as somebody that hasn't shot much or hunted much or seen much game killed outside of what you have shot out of your tree stand overlooking a pile of corn.

Just a big mouth now manifested with a key board.

Put the bottle down. Time for bed.

Go shoot a piece of 3/8 inch steel plate with something as small as a 55 gr NBT, even at an angle and get back to me. Don't blame your sheitty shooting skills on a 165 gr bullet blowing up on an antelope 🤣🤣🤣

Bullet hit the buck on the point of the shoulder. Nothing wrong with my shooting skills. That was 30 years ago when you were still probably sheeting yellow in diapers. Nosler has cleaned that up since. Shooting a ballistic tip now at 3/4 inch piece of steel would prove nothing. But how would you know that?

The fact that you have a big mouth, a bottle and a key board proves that you know exactly nothing.

Rookie.

I was 30 thirty years ago knucklehead. Bullets don't bounce off of antelopes shoulders, then or now. Maybe you were huntin with your Red Ryder BB gun while watching A Christmas Story

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

For you they were, I wish I could have watched you. 🤣🤣🤣

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OK then, likely the bullet count was around 8,000 for the average hunt when they showed their ass.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK then, likely the bullet count was around 8,000 for the average hunt when they showed their ass.

Show off

😁

I didn't miss, but only got to shoot a few.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

That's ok, you prolly dinged a few you didn't even know about. 🤣

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably. There was no bag limit.

I am..........disturbed.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmm. Took 6 shoots on a bull elk.
First shot broke his shoulder and her ran down into a drainage/creek bed and back up on the other side.
Tried to connect on him while he was on the run and went though remainder 4 rounds. When he finally stopped on other side of the hill, about same height I was standing at. I could only see his neck though the brush.
Squeeze off and click. Kept my rifle on him because I want sure I’d find him and grabbed an extra mag I had in the back pack/waist strap pocket. Shot number 6 finished him with a neck shot.
Also Found a broad head and a partition in his hind quarter. I shoot ttsx.
Good bull for 2.5 year old. One of quarters had to get thrown out on it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Myself and two friends took a guys whose name is Larry on a hound hunt for a bear. Larry wanted to shoot one with his bow so he had the quiver loaded with six arrows and was carrying an old 357 Blackhawk in a waist holster. We turned loose the dogs and within an hour had a 250 lb bear treed. He was only about halfway up the tree perched on a big limb. Larry got excited. The dogs were howling and bear was moving around branch and Larry started shooting. He shot all six arrows in his bow connecting wit a couple of them. Harry and I scrounged up a couple arrows that had come to ground and he shot them agin. Bear still not dead. Larry then pulled his old Blackhawk and completely emptied it too ! By now Harry is on the ground behind him rolling with fits of laughter. Larry reloaded the 357 and shot three more times before he rolled that bear outta the tree. Id have to go back and count all the shots but it was a bunch.
Was quite a day.

Best, Billy

Turn em loose ...
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Well, took about 5 shots with 00 at a buck on a south Georgia dog drive. The deer popped out of the thick brush about 15 feet in front of me and caught me off guard. He saw me and went into high gear, and I started wing shooting. Folded him with the last shot, I think I did kill a bunch of small trees tho.

Same place, saw a buck about 12 chains away (264 yards) running across a field of bedded pines. Took one shot at him as he paused and he jumped as I pulled the trigger. Wasn't sure if I hit him, so I took a running shot before he disappeared into the swamp. I got on his trail, and discovered the last shot had entered high on his right hip angling down, opening up his belly like I had field dressed him. He strung guts for 20 yards on bushes, before they tore off and the blood trail nearly disappeared. I tracked him nearly a half mile before I found him bedded in thick titi. He stood up when I approached and tried to hook me, had to grab one side of the rack and cut his throat to end it.

They can be so darn tough, other times I've killed them with 1 arrow and they barely took a step after the shot.

But so far, with the exception of this one, all others have been one shot kills from either an 06, 280, or my favorite 1950 Marlin 30-30.

But not 8 shots yet...

Last edited by BigDutch; 07/04/23.

"Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war."

Time to show your colors, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Three shots on the biggest whitetail I had ever seen at that point, 152” ten point.
But it was with a muzzleloader. Back when shooting hours in Illinois ended at sunset, saw the buck 70 yards away with 10 minutes left for legal shooting. First shot slightly quartering to me broke the left shoulder. Buck ran/stumbled toward me and laid down 12 yards off the base of the tree I was in. Waited a couple minutes for him to expire then looked at my watch and only had 5 minutes left on shooting hours. Didn’t want him to get up and stumble off after hours. Reloaded and fired a steep angle shot to anchor him. He jumped up, ran 40 yards and laid down again with his head up looking around. I fired shot three with 2 minutes on the clock and he tipped over for good. Every shot was fatal but the clock pressured me to keep shooting. I hated shooting hours ending when you still had a good 30 minutes of daylight left. They changed that rule a few years later.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've fired 3 shots twice. Once at the best whitetail I've ever killed and the other time at a 260 lb black bear. The 1st shot was the killing shot both times, but the animals showed no signs of being hit so I kept shooting.

The deer ran about 100 yards before just falling over. The bear about 50 yards, stopped and looked back. The 3rd shot finished him, but he wouldn't have gone far without it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just wanna hear more stories about bullets bouncing off of antelopes shoulders

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just wanna hear more stories about bullets bouncing off of antelopes shoulders

😂🤣😂🤣😂😁

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Loading Bt at 3200 might get those. Kept at <2900, not so much. Pays to know the bullet you are using. Pays even more to put it where it will do its job.

I went to hunt deer with my uncle and cousing back when I was about sixteen. Took my Winchester 1200 20ga, with slugs. Well, that was no good, according to my uncle. He loaned me his 742 .243. So here I sit on a log in this little ravine, holding that 742 with the ten round mag full of what was probably Corelokt 100gr. ammo, and this line of does come down the hill at me. I just let them come. Shot the lead doe in the chest at 20 yards. She turns to the right, but doesn’t go down. I hit her again, right behind the shoulder. She starts moving, so I kept shooting. I think I was seven or eight rounds in when she fell. My uncle said it sounded like war broke out. I was simply thinking I should have used the 20ga. It was a small doe, but she ate good, even though the chest cavity was jello. I don’t know if the bullets failed to open, came apart, or she was just a “tough” deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those old early 90’s ballistic tips were not exactly the best bullet out there. What a mess they would sometimes make on animals as small as pronghorn. I can’t say I ever saw them fail to penetrate a doe antelope’s shoulder, but based on what I did see of them, .277” and .308” specifically, at hyper velocity I wouldn’t totally discount the possibility.

FWIW, I have seen 6.5mm bergers blow up on elk shoulders without penetrating, but I am half convinced it was my particular rifle that made them fail.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by APredator
Loading Bt at 3200 might get those. Kept at <2900, not so much. Pays to know the bullet you are using. Pays even more to put it where it will do its job.

I went to hunt deer with my uncle and cousing back when I was about sixteen. Took my Winchester 1200 20ga, with slugs. Well, that was no good, according to my uncle. He loaned me his 742 .243. So here I sit on a log in this little ravine, holding that 742 with the ten round mag full of what was probably Corelokt 100gr. ammo, and this line of does come down the hill at me. I just let them come. Shot the lead doe in the chest at 20 yards. She turns to the right, but doesn’t go down. I hit her again, right behind the shoulder. She starts moving, so I kept shooting. I think I was seven or eight rounds in when she fell. My uncle said it sounded like war broke out. I was simply thinking I should have used the 20ga. It was a small doe, but she ate good, even though the chest cavity was jello. I don’t know if the bullets failed to open, came apart, or she was just a “tough” deer.

Bullsheit

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
FWIW, I have seen 6.5mm bergers blow up on elk shoulders without penetrating, but I am half convinced it was my particular rifle that made them fail.

Bullsheit

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by goalie

Show off

😁

I didn't miss, but only got to shoot a few.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Grin..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (300_savage, 6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 7 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,405
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.