Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by mirage243
All the stories here about 308 and 30-06 bullets splattering on shoulder impact and not ever penetrating are complete and utter bullsheit.

Or not.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
24 of us were blocking and driving pheasants in Kansas. On one drive we were all closed in and the last rooster that jumped had 24 people shooting him. I bet 2 boxes were shot at him. He went straight up and soaked up a lot of shot before he fell.

Crap, we talking birds? I've seen a bunch of crappy shotgunning party hunting. It's all in good fun.
That’s what make’s watching a good dog do its thing so much fun.

Watching a dog bound through the grass with a high head to about where it marked the bird hit the ground and then transition to nose to the ground like a beagle while running it down.

Or a retriever with a pintail and a teal in his mouth trail another pintail in water until it dives, then standing on top of it pawing the water.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Either wrong type or weight of bullets used or simply poor shot placement of what I have just read.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
All the stories here about 308 and 30-06 bullets splattering on shoulder impact and not ever penetrating are complete and utter bullsheit.

Or not.

Go get a 6x6 piece of pressure treated post and shoot it at any angle with any type of bullet ever made for a 308 or a 30-06 and post the pics. I find it incredible how f'ing stupid some people can be when it comes to the destruction of high powered rifles. Don't be a dumbass.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Or not.

Go get a 6x6 piece of pressure treated post and shoot it at any angle with any type of bullet ever made for a 308 or a 30-06 and post the pics. I find it incredible how f'ing stupid some people can be when it comes to the destruction of high powered rifles. Don't be a dumbass.

Hunt long enough and you see some schit happen.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Or not.

Hunt long enough and you see some schit happen.

Tell us about all the bullets you've seen just blow up and disinegrate when they touch a shoulder. Poof, off into thin air they go, put a bandaid on it to stop the bleeding.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
30-378 WBY at 150 yards on a brush rack Roosevelt bull elk, put three 180 grain Barnes X bullets in a half inch hole trough both lungs and the thing never flinched. Finally put one through the shoulder, found the bullet under the hide on the far side. Haven't used the Barnes since.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by paguy
30-378 WBY at 150 yards on a brush rack Roosevelt bull elk, put three 180 grain Barnes X bullets in a half inch hole trough both lungs and the thing never flinched. Finally put one through the shoulder, found the bullet under the hide on the far side. Haven't used the Barnes since.

Lmfao, 1/2" hole, huh? Mf'er never even felt em, kinda like a bad cold, just felt like he had the sniffles. JFC

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whokalouie
Either wrong type or weight of bullets used or simply poor shot placement of what I have just read.

Well, considering one of the instances was one I posted I am going to say you don't know that the hell you're talking about. The black wildebeest I posted about was shot with a handload that I personally put together. 7mm Rem Mag loaded with a 160 gr Nosler Partition over 62 grs of RL-22. This is my go to load for this rifle and on that trip I took, in addition to that wildebeest, Cape Kudu, Red Hartebeest, 2 Warthogs, Zebra, Vaal Rhebok and Gemsbok all with one round apiece. On the black Wildebeest those 4 bullets were all in the chest in a 2 inch group and the lungs in the animals chest were completely shredded. That animal just decided he was not going to fall down with the first shot.

With that same handload I have taken mule deer, whitetail deer, blacktail deer, elk, pronghorn antelope, black bear, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, wild hogs, and it has gone to Africa 5 times. I have used that load in that rifle for over 25 years. Don't try to tell me there is something wrong with the bullet, the handload or the shot placement.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
goalie;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the last day of the week was kind to you and this finds you and yours well.

Since you didn't specify "big game" animal and my friend elkhunternm started the ball rolling with somewhat smaller game, I'll offer the following tale of - well if not "woe" then perhaps "whoah..."

My good wife and I were cruising some logging cuts that were growing in enough to hold some mulie or perhaps whitetail bucks, when she says to me, "There's a coyote bedded down on the other side of that brush pile".

Sure enough there is a coyote bedded but with his head up watching us.

I muttered something likely resembling, "Well we can't have that sort of thing now can we?" and pulled the folding stock 10/22 from behind the seat where it rode for grouse shooting duty - which is totally legal here in BC.

Back then it had an El Paso Weaver steel tube 3X with the old plain cross hair reticle and for a magazine I was running a Butler Creek 20 or 25 round whatever the longer extended ones were.

We agreed the coyote had to be about 150yds out, maybe a tad more, so shot #1 just made it stand up as it landed a few feet in front of it. Shot #2 - with the appropriate correction of course, dropped the coyote, no doubt to the surprise of all 3 of us.

Then as quickly as it had dropped, it was up and running and so was I after it.

To be sure, it wasn't firing on all cylinders and was leaking fluid, but it was still moving pretty good.

Initially I shot at it with singles, but somehow quickly figured out that double taps gave me a better chance of seeing where the bullets were landing.

Thus it was that I hit it with #2 as previously mentioned, then #13, missed with #14 and dropped it finally with #15.

It's the only coyote I've ever got tanned. It was nothing special for a hide, but as you all likely know by now with me, a good story along with props - like a tube skinned coyote hide - is pure gold! laugh

Thanks for reading and all the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/09/23.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
I shot a black wildebeest in RSA with a 7mm Mag and it took 4 rounds for him to go down. All were in the chest within about 2 inches group. For some reason he just decided he wasn't going down. He locked up with the first round and didn't move, just soaked up 3 more 160 gr Noslers before he bled out. My PH said he had seen that happen 2 or 3 other times, always with black wildebeest.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shot a black wildebeest with my 300HH. Hit him but he ran off. Eventually got him in a follow up about 30 minutes later. Wife still calls him the 'overachieving wildebeest".

Carpe' Scrotum
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
goalie;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the last day of the week was kind to you and this finds you and yours well.

Since you didn't specify "big game" animal and my friend elkhunternm started the ball rolling with somewhat smaller game, I'll offer the following tale of - well if not "woe" then perhaps "whoah..."

My good wife and I were cruising some logging cuts that were growing in enough to hold some mulie or perhaps whitetail bucks, when she says to me, "There's a coyote bedded down on the other side of that brush pile".

Sure enough there is a coyote bedded but with his head up watching us.

I muttered something likely resembling, "Well we can't have that sort of thing now can we?" and pulled the folding stock 10/22 from behind the seat where it rode for grouse shooting duty - which is totally legal here in BC.

Back then it had an El Paso Weaver steel tube 3X with the old plain cross hair reticle and for a magazine I was running a Butler Creek 20 or 25 round whatever the longer extended ones were.

We agreed the coyote had to be about 150yds out, maybe a tad more, so shot #1 just made it stand up as it landed a few feet in front of it. Shot #2 - with the appropriate correction of course, dropped the coyote, no doubt to the surprise of all 3 of us.

Then as quickly as it had dropped, it was up and running and so was I after it.

To be sure, it wasn't firing on all cylinders and was leaking fluid, but it was still moving pretty good.

Initially I shot at it with singles, but somehow quickly figured out that double taps gave me a better chance of seeing where the bullets were landing.

Thus it was that I hit it with #2 as previously mentioned, then #13, missed with #14 and dropped it finally with #15.

It's the only coyote I've ever got tanned. It was nothing special for a hide, but as you all likely know by now with me, a good story along with props - like a tube skinned coyote hide - is pure gold! laugh

Thanks for reading and all the best.

Dwayne

You tanned the hide? In my opinion, the story was worthy of a hat. 😁

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
goalie;
Good evening once more, thanks for the reply and the laugh! laugh

You're right of course, it would indeed have made a wonderful mountain man sorta head gear and that's an opportunity likely not to happen again.

Ah well, perhaps if I take up hunting with my old Navy Arms Hurricane muzzle loader and manage to get a coyote it'd be a fitting thing to do with it.

Thanks for the laugh again and have a grand weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Gotta keep those momentos, Dwayne!

I maybe have more than my share of multi-shot kill goat-ropes. I hope? Or Not? I'm a bit confused, here. smile

This one was a yearling bull moose that came swimming across a lake to us just as we landed the canoe on an island. I was shooting standing offhand, 3' or so high on a shaky rotting birch log, through a screen of alder just in front of me, from the island, after he had circumvented it to the mainland. 140 yds first shot to 160 4th shot as he was about to enter heavy cover .338WM, 250 gr. factory premiums (Not NP) , various angles. He just would not go down! The first one went through both shoulder blades!

I paced the distances that winter when the water thickened.

The second shot took out a front knee, but these are the other three exit wounds on the far shoulder blade, the third shot just creasing the front of the ham, traversing the paunch (ick!). The 4th shot was a GK hand load (I think the upper one) broadside again, but he was seconds from going down anyway. The entrance wound was not evident- I think the same as #1.

I'm kinda proud of my shooting this time! With goat-ropes, 75% is passing, right?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by las; 06/09/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Thanks for the laugh again and have a grand weekend.

Dwayne

Thanks, I will. I've got my son and nephew up at the cabin. We're gonna get some range time tomorrow. 😁

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wife and I had to double team a mule deer buck in rut one day. Her twice with a .257 Roberts, me 5 times with a .223 shooting TSXs... Seven entrance holes through the vital and rib cage, seven exits holes on the other sides of the vitals. Any one of which was a sure kill..the deer just didnt know the rules.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Wife and I had to double team a mule deer buck in rut one day. Her twice with a .257 Roberts, me 5 times with a .223 shooting TSXs... Seven entrance holes through the vital and rib cage, seven exits holes on the other sides of the vitals. Any one of which was a sure kill..the deer just didnt know the rules.

Finished an antelope with my knife after one shot.

It weren't like the movies. That damn thing needed a bunch of stabbing and slashing.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Kaotic.com is a good place to see high numbers of bullets slung at animals. I've seen 100 round clips emptied

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My best/worst was 6 shots on a heavy sow with 270 SP from a 375.

First shot hit the shoulder/heart area. Should have been perfect, but the SP mushroomed on the shoulder blade and "slid" down the leg, bruising the offside (right) front leg. 180 yard shot from prone. She ran about 75 yards.

Second hit the right ham dead center and cut the femoral artery (she was facing straight away from me). She ran (with her two good and two bad legs) into some brush. 255 yard shot (guide was using a rangefinder) from prone. Another "kill" shot.

Third his the chest low (she was in the brush and the bottom of the heart/front leg area was visible). But she was sooo fat, I blew a chunk of fat off her sternum. There was about 2 inches of fat below the sternum. 25 yards.

Forth and fifth in the neck area through the brush--just tissue damage. 25 yards.

Sixth severed the spine in the neck and it was over. 25 yards.

Sometimes, weird stuff happens.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 06/09/23.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by ingwe

Finished an antelope with my knife after one shot.

It weren't like the movies. That damn thing needed a bunch of stabbing and slashing.

A friend, now deceased, but not from that, had a similar moose story, involving deep snow and snowshoes.

He said when she reared up as he went to cut her throat "she was 27 feet tall". And he was on his hands and knees in punchy snow; they went round and round a little spruce tree, before he got his rifle back in action.

The mental image is epic!

He also said, "If a Native American can do it, I can do it, but I was mistaken..."

He had yet to realize the "pull the white guy's leg" syndrome....

Last edited by las; 06/09/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 23 invisible), 14,411 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,963
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.