Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Your point that 99% of other scopes work is bunk. More like 99% of consumers are too dumb to know better and demand more. But that’s changing. People are becoming more informed and demanding better durability. Fancy features, pretty glass, flashy marketing (warranties) and recoil testing alone aren’t gonna cut it.

It's not bunk. It's fact as is evidenced by dead animals.

As to the rest of your post, an insignificant number of internet nerds are on a bandwagon. The masses will continue to buy scopes that work for them.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Your point that 99% of other scopes work is bunk. More like 99% of consumers are too dumb to know better and demand more. But that’s changing. People are becoming more informed and demanding better durability. Fancy features, pretty glass, flashy marketing (warranties) and recoil testing alone aren’t gonna cut it.

As to the rest of your post, an insignificant number of internet nerds are on a bandwagon. The masses will continue to buy junk scopes because they don’t know any better.

Yep! Fixed it for ya.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 06/17/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So just because an automobile has a motor that runs and tires that turn, that’s enough for you? Of course a scope should hold up to recoil, that’s a given, and no it’s not enough! Personally, I want a car that has also been crash tested. Durability after impact matters to me, just like it does with scopes.

Your point that 99% of other scopes work is bunk. More like 99% of consumers are too dumb to know better and demand more. But that’s changing. People are becoming more informed and demanding better durability. Fancy features, pretty glass, flashy marketing (warranties) and recoil testing alone aren’t gonna cut it. Scope manufacturers will need to adjust accordingly. It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen. It’s starting. Manufacturers that continue to ignore the matter of impact testing and zero retention will lose share to those who embrace the concept. It’s a good thing.
The only company I remember doing testing and advertising it was Leupold. Seems they lost share to everyone. Marketing is a game and I tend to discredit marketers. Independent unknown folks using stuff and reporting their experiences is not much better.

Obviously you put yourself in the elite 1%, so how did you get there?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Bro, it's the internet; you can be anybody you wanna be. wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

As to the rest of your post, an insignificant number of internet nerds are on a bandwagon. The masses will continue to buy scopes that work for them.

Yep. I've culled more big game animals than that clown will in 10 lifetimes, without an SWFA, NF, etc. A statement like that is laughable at best.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hahaha. Predictable. Nothing of substance to add so you take it down to personal attacks. As if you knew anything about me. If you did, you’d know how wrong you are!

Happy Father’s Day everyone. Hug your kids!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Read enough of your idiotic posts to know you're an idiot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
So just because an automobile has a motor that runs and tires that turn, that’s enough for you? Of course a scope should hold up to recoil, that’s a given, and no it’s not enough! Personally, I want a car that has also been crash tested. Durability after impact matters to me, just like it does with scopes.

Your point that 99% of other scopes work is bunk. More like 99% of consumers are too dumb to know better and demand more. But that’s changing. People are becoming more informed and demanding better durability. Fancy features, pretty glass, flashy marketing (warranties) and recoil testing alone aren’t gonna cut it. Scope manufacturers will need to adjust accordingly. It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen. It’s starting. Manufacturers that continue to ignore the matter of impact testing and zero retention will lose share to those who embrace the concept. It’s a good thing.
The only company I remember doing testing and advertising it was Leupold. Seems they lost share to everyone. Marketing is a game and I tend to discredit marketers. Independent unknown folks using stuff and reporting their experiences is not much better.

It has taken a substantial number of bandwagon posts both here and on Rokslide, but he has arrived!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Matt,

Welcome to the 🔥! Thanks for providing a great product at a great price point. I’ll ignore all other comments and just leave it at that.

Apologies if it was mentioned somewhere in these 11 pages, but if you’re jotting down wish list items, I’d ask for a 1” line similar to the defunct line of Leupold VX-Rs (illuminated).

The used ones are selling like hotcakes at substantial prices. There are many of us who would like to run what looks like the traditional 1” scopes on lever guns and hard kickers. Traditional size and looks with modern features. If you’ve ever set a bear bait, you know how illumination is a great feature to have. A coup,e years ago, I had to turn on illumination to put the bead on an axis deer in TX.

Regards,
Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Matt,

Welcome to the 🔥! Thanks for providing a great product at a great price point. I’ll ignore all other comments and just leave it at that.

Apologies if it was mentioned somewhere in these 11 pages, but if you’re jotting down wish list items, I’d ask for a 1” line similar to the defunct line of Leupold VX-Rs (illuminated).

The used ones are selling like hotcakes at substantial prices. There are many of us who would like to run what looks like the traditional 1” scopes on lever guns and hard kickers. Traditional size and looks with modern features. If you’ve ever set a bear bait, you know how illumination is a great feature to have. A coup,e years ago, I had to turn on illumination to put the bead on an axis deer in TX.

Regards,
Bob

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Thanks also for your input on product development.

I've seen a lot of great ideas on this thread and I always pass them up the chain of command.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by SinisterLefty
Originally Posted by Athlon_Optics
Originally Posted by MrWilson
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Welcome to the Fire, Athlon_Optics.
Would you like to comment on the performance of your Helos 2-12 in the scope evaluation, linked below?

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/q-a-for-athlon-helos-btr-gen-2-2-12x42mm-field-eval.289776/

Athlon_Optics,
You may have missed my previous post amongst the noise. Would appreciated your comments on the 2-12's performance in the thread linked above.

the drop tests if yo can call it that , is not a real test or measure in my mind. too many variables , prone to inconsistent and no real control in the "testing" to be valid and meaningful. Besides , if I drop or bump my rifle I am going to ensure my zero is fine before shooting at an animal.

One time I was driving down the highway and I decided to take a picture of the sunset by holding my phone up through the sunroof (bad idea). It blew away and I could see it bouncing down the highway in my rearview mirror. I was able to recover it and it was completely fine! Shortly after, I knocked my phone off the bottom shelf of a nightstand (about 15 inches) and the screen shattered. Drop tests, as mentioned above, can be misleading due to consistency and control issues. All it takes is contact at just the right angle to mess things up. That's my opinion, anyway. Fortunately, Athlon offers a transferable lifetime warranty. If something goes wrong, we will repair or replace it.
I can understand your aversion. Honest question… So I assume Athlon has some type of durability testing of their own that is more uniformly standardized? Please share with us. What kind of impact and or reliability testing does Athlon perform?

I test and break stuff for a living (.mil COTS and spaceflight), and most manufacturers won't release details on specifics of internal testing they do. I can think up some test programs that would be applicable, but it would be interesting to see some transparency in the test standards, procedure details, and sample size tested.

The "Rokslide test" is...yeah. Very arbitrary and likely not especially repeatable.

I don’t necessarily need to see the exact test, but I want to know that some impact/durability/zero retention testing was done! I’d venture a guess that most manufacturers do none at all! They could show us what that means the scope is then capable of. You ever seen any of the Nightforce torture test videos? I’m not saying things need to be taken to that extreme, but I will tell you this, I will only purchase scopes that come from manufacturers that do durability/impact/zero retention testing. As a consumer, I believe that should be a minimum standard we should expect. Instead, most manufacturers seem to avoid the matter altogether. I hope that isn’t what’s happening here?

Hey All,

Thank you for some good discussion on a very important topic!

We are definitely on the same page when it comes to the importance of conducting impact testing, resilience, and return-to-zero capabilities.

Pretty much everyone in our office hunts (and/or) shoots competitively (and/or) has served in law enforcement or the military (myself included).

We all use the products we make because they work and because they stand up to the tasks we put them through.

We have a lifetime warranty on all of our products because stuff happens. We do not, however, use that warranty as a backstop for poor Quality Control.

Numerous tests are conducted on our optics before they ever leave the manufacturer.

We also have a QC lab at our headquarters in Olathe, KS that includes a recoil machine and multiple collimators.

We also conduct the Nightforce test (
) on various products multiple times every week. The only qualifier I would add is that instead of slamming our scopes on a metal surface, we slam them on a wood surface.

As a 3GUN competitor, I am pretty hard on my equipment (lots of throwing guns into barrels) and I have never had a single issue with any of my Athlon Optics or mounts.

I hope that helps.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Matt,

Regards,
Bob

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Thanks also for your input on product development.

I've seen a lot of great ideas on this thread and I always pass them up the chain of command.

Thank you for the response! Greatly appreciated!

👍

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
The eye box is the weak link with Athlon.

Many other things to like (clarity, repeatable dialing, durability, price point), but the eye box is as bad as they come IMHO. I will not be buying more until that matter is solved.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Many other things to like (clarity, repeatable dialing, durability, price point), but the eye box is as bad as they come IMHO. I will not be buying more until that matter is solved.

I'm curious about which particular scope you are referencing (and what you are comparing it to) ???

I switched from an ATACR 1-8 to a Cronus 1-6 on my 3GUN AR when I started working at Athlon and have found the eye box to be more forgiving on my Cronus.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Here is a link to a review that was posted a few days ago. It includes some drop test, impact, and return-to-zero results.

https://americangunfacts.com/athlon-heras-spr-4-20x50-sfp-scope-review/

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

I'm curious about which particular scope you are referencing (and what you are comparing it to) ???

I switched from an ATACR 1-8 to a Cronus 1-6 on my 3GUN AR when I started working at Athlon and have found the eye box to be more forgiving on my Cronus.

2-12 Helos... It is simply awful.

In fairness, I will look around locally for a Cronus 1-6 before further comment.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

In fairness, I will look around locally for a Cronus 1-6 before further comment.

Couldn't disagree more......love mine.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Couldn't disagree more......love mine.

I've been scratching my head on this one. I've gotten rid of multiple scopes due to critical eye boxes, but the four 2-12x Helos I have are as easy to get behind as any scopes I've used. They seem plenty forgiving to me...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I wouldn’t mount an Athlon on anythi9g even if it was free.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

The Cronus 1-6 is my favorite scope that we make - the glass is incredible and the reticle is incredibly intuitive.

Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (12344mag, 270cowboy, 1lesfox, 44mc, 35, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,108 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,421
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.