M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by memtb
As a qualifying statement…..I am a “one gun” hunter! memtb

What the hell are you doing here then???? That is so sad; whadaya want, help or pity?

MM

Doing what I enjoy doing ……hunting since around 5 or 6 yo (with adults), shooting since around 7 yo, and hand loading since age 14 or 15. 65 or so years of hunting/shooting!

Been a member of this forum since January 2001……when did using multiple firearms to satisfy inadequacies or with which to hunt become a qualifier for participation? 🤔

I need nor want help or pity! Perhaps it is those that require many firearms with which to hunt when one firearm can suffice……that need help or pity! Or is it the need to attack someone via a keyboard to prove one’s virility! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 06/22/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
my first rifle was a 1972 Winchester m94 in 30-30. it killed my first buck and first doe. it went kill many more deer and then the m94 was put in my safe and i just forgot about her. then about 4 years ago, i sent the m94 to JES Reboring and he did a fabulous job reboring her to 35/30-30. i put on a Williams FP aperture sight because my eyes ain't what they used to be. i use 200gr RCBS FN GC with 2400/tuft of Dacron that goes 1726fps. i've killed two does and one buck. last year, i didn't hunt , i was scheduled for a heart cath. i'd say that i luv the m94.

my second choice is a Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57 and a 2-7x Leopold scope. it uses 275gr WFN GC and IMR4895 that goes about 1800-1900fps (i forgot to chrony it). it is a sweet rifle, and it thumps deer with authority.

my third choice is one that came down to me. it was used by great grandpap, pappy, Dad (RIP), late uncle and finally by me. it will be passed on by my sons. it is a sporterized 1898 Springfield Armory in 30-40 Krag. i put on a Redfield 102K aperture sight. it uses a 165gr Ranch Dog with H4198 and it goes 1926fps. i killed my first cast bullet deer with the Krag. i then added 8 or 9 deer and my oldest son also added 5 or 6 deer.

my fourth choice is a TC Encore with a 23" MGM heavy factory barrel in 444 Marlin and a 2-7x Leopold. i've shot many deer with 255gr Kieth -type bullets, 275gr Ranch Dog, 280gr WFN GC, 280gr LFN GC, 300gr SAECO FN GC and 265gr Hornady FN. the fps is anywhere between 1600 - 2300fps. the one bullet i liked best is 280gr WFN GC with Reloder 7 that goes 1937fps.

this year i'll use my TC Contender in a 10" barrel in 30 Herrett and a 2-7x Swift with 130gr Speer HP and Reloder 7 (i still have to chrony it) but it will go 1700 - 1800fps. i also bought another 10" barrel in 357 Herrett but i'm not going use that for a couple years. when i do, i'll be sure to use cast bullets.

the place that i mostly go to, 60 yards is considered a long shot. depending on the deer, my shots can go either 10 or 12 feet oy 60 something yards. most of the time, it is around 25+/- yards.

i shot deer through the 22-250AI, 243, 25-06, 6.5 Creedmoor, 270 Win, 7-08, 7x57, 30-30, 30-40 Krag, 308, '06, 7.65x53, 8x57, 35/30-30, 9.3x57, 44 Special, 44 Rem mag, 444 Marlin, 45-70 and a bunch of other calibers.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tdoyka
my first rifle was a 1972 Winchester m94 in 30-30. it killed my first buck and first doe. it went kill many more deer and then the m94 was put in my safe and i just forgot about her. then about 4 years ago, i sent the m94 to JES Reboring and he did a fabulous job reboring her to 35/30-30. i put on a Williams FP aperture sight because my eyes ain't what they used to be. i use 200gr RCBS FN GC with 2400/tuft of Dacron that goes 1726fps. i've killed two does and one buck. last year, i didn't hunt , i was scheduled for a heart cath. i'd say that i luv the m94.

my second choice is a Husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57 and a 2-7x Leopold scope. it uses 275gr WFN GC and IMR4895 that goes about 1800-1900fps (i forgot to chrony it). it is a sweet rifle, and it thumps deer with authority.

my third choice is one that came down to me. it was used by great grandpap, pappy, Dad (RIP), late uncle and finally by me. it will be passed on by my sons. it is a sporterized 1898 Springfield Armory in 30-40 Krag. i put on a Redfield 102K aperture sight. it uses a 165gr Ranch Dog with H4198 and it goes 1926fps. i killed my first cast bullet deer with the Krag. i then added 8 or 9 deer and my oldest son also added 5 or 6 deer.

my fourth choice is a TC Encore with a 23" MGM heavy factory barrel in 444 Marlin and a 2-7x Leopold. i've shot many deer with 255gr Kieth -type bullets, 275gr Ranch Dog, 280gr WFN GC, 280gr LFN GC, 300gr SAECO FN GC and 265gr Hornady FN. the fps is anywhere between 1600 - 2300fps. the one bullet i liked best is 280gr WFN GC with Reloder 7 that goes 1937fps.

this year i'll use my TC Contender in a 10" barrel in 30 Herrett and a 2-7x Swift with 130gr Speer HP and Reloder 7 (i still have to chrony it) but it will go 1700 - 1800fps. i also bought another 10" barrel in 357 Herrett but i'm not going use that for a couple years. when i do, i'll be sure to use cast bullets.

the place that i mostly go to, 60 yards is considered a long shot. depending on the deer, my shots can go either 10 or 12 feet oy 60 something yards. most of the time, it is around 25+/- yards.

i shot deer through the 22-250AI, 243, 25-06, 6.5 Creedmoor, 270 Win, 7-08, 7x57, 30-30, 30-40 Krag, 308, '06, 7.65x53, 8x57, 35/30-30, 9.3x57, 44 Special, 44 Rem mag, 444 Marlin, 45-70 and a bunch of other calibers.

I'd like to see your 9.3x57 set up. I have the same rifle and have debated getting it drilled and tapped for optics or at least for a peep sight.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve never really thought about a “dedicated stalking rifle”……or perhaps that’s all that I ever considered! I want a rifle that is fully capable of handling any situation that I may find myself in!

My hunting can result in shots measured in feet, while hours later could result in the potential to shoot to the Earth’s curvature …..though, my personal max range is a self-imposed 600 yards in perfect conditions! My cartridge/caliber choice also reflects the possibility of taking game of sizes ranging from a 100 pound Pronghorn to deer, moose, elk, Black Bear depending upon the licenses that I have…..then there’s also the “very remote” possibility of bumping into a grizzly in a foul mood at the aforementioned range measured in feet!

While my cartridge/caliber choice in 9 pound pkg (scoped, loaded, slung) is certainly not #1 on everyone’s list…..it has worked quite well for me for 33 years!

You have two problems. 1) Your loony status is suspect, and 2) You aren't hunting in the swamps, where a long shot is 50 yards. Both can be cured, trust me!

Now, Queen Elizabeth she fell in love with me
We were married in Milwaukee secretly
But I got tired and shook her and ran off with General Hooker
To shoot 'skeeters down in Tennessee!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I’ve never really thought about a “dedicated stalking rifle”……or perhaps that’s all that I ever considered! I want a rifle that is fully capable of handling any situation that I may find myself in!

My hunting can result in shots measured in feet, while hours later could result in the potential to shoot to the Earth’s curvature …..though, my personal max range is a self-imposed 600 yards in perfect conditions! My cartridge/caliber choice also reflects the possibility of taking game of sizes ranging from a 100 pound Pronghorn to deer, moose, elk, Black Bear depending upon the licenses that I have…..then there’s also the “very remote” possibility of bumping into a grizzly in a foul mood at the aforementioned range measured in feet!

While my cartridge/caliber choice in 9 pound pkg (scoped, loaded, slung) is certainly not #1 on everyone’s list…..it has worked quite well for me for 33 years!

You have two problems. 1) Your loony status is suspect, and 2) You aren't hunting in the swamps, where a long shot is 50 yards. Both can be cured, trust me!

I grew up hunting in Central Louisiana, and have a pretty good idea of what it takes to hunt the thickets….I stand by my choice! 😉

DD, we have lots of guns to shoot…. but, prefer to use only one rifle for hunting! 🙂 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 06/23/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by tdoyka

I'd like to see your 9.3x57 set up. I have the same rifle and have debated getting it drilled and tapped for optics or at least for a peep sight.

[video:flash][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/video]

i had my gunsmith bent the bolt handle, 2 position Bueler safety, Dayton Cock on Opening Speed Lock kit and D&T for scope mounts. i did cock on opening because i had a stroke and i'm only left with one arm and the original cock on closing was hard for me to do.

the D&T for a scope mount was for my eyes. (they ain't what they use to be!!! wink ) i, or rather my gunsmith, did an old Lyman aperture sight on my '91 Argentine Mauser, but don't forget about your stock. he removed about 1/8 to 1/4" x 1" of the stock action channel and then he matched the color of the stock to the divot he cut out. i don't have a picture, but.......

1944 '98 Mauser

35/30-30
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

30-40 Krag

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought an '60s FN Musketeer 264WM with a 22" barrel.NIB. It had a very fast handling stock. Talk about a confused rifle. But the fast handling stock interested me. It was a why do the ergonomics work so well ? It all boiled down to the angle of my wrists. The pistol grip was fairly flat, allowing a quick, more natural raising of the rifle. A deliberate aim works better with a more vertical one, (which is what a 264WM should have). The fore-end helps too with a pronounced slope. This makes for a good looking rifle. You will find this type of stock on rifles with totally inappropriate calibers.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Interesting. Had to google that to see where it came from. That was an interesting song, DD.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Windfall
Pre-mil 1950’s era d&t Savage M99F .300 Savage. End of discussion.

Great choice, have one, 130 Barnes shoot great in it

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a 99 in 375 Win now. I’m eager to try it on deer or pigs. It has a 3.5x10 on it

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 06/23/23.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have used a Thompson Encore in 405 Win and a 4x fixed scope with excellent results. Big holes in and out.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Some guys just don't seem to understand hunting someplace where there are no fields or power line cuts, just woods.

You are right....some guys don't understand. Woods are open compared to this....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Looks like where I hunt. The gun doesn’t have as much to do with success here as quiet clothing and a good set of binoculars. I have a pair of moccasins I use for still hunting, being able to feel the ground and any debris on it helps.

Have had some success in dry leafy areas using a trick an old man showed me years ago. One does not step or walk, more shuffles, mimicking the rambling scurrying of a squirrel. Perhaps it is only my perception, but I have neck or head shot a bunch of deer after using the technique during movement. I don’t shoot running or frightened deer. Too easy here to find them calmly eating or sneaking through the brush. And a deer snuffed instantly with a CNS shot while in a calm state just tastes better. Others’ experiences will vary, no doubt.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I too have an MS model 1905 in 9x56MS and I feel it was purpose built to be the best still hunting rifle ever built.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Fury01
Buttstock,
I had a buddy in upstate NY who many years ago sent an 870 smooth bore barrel to PA and had it rifled. He cast his own round balls and loaded them in to a shortened, scissors cut wad. I don’t remember anything else but it was an accurate “rifle” and the round balls killed very well.
Best regards,
F01

Pumpkin balls kill great. Illegal in Shotgun only NJ woods where i hunt, damned if I know why other than because NJ laws are a mess.

My favorite stalking rifle is a .45 caliber White super 91. Its neither light nor has a backup shot, but it packs a Wallop, has a full stock, shoots where I point it and fits like a glove.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A short range, woods rifle doesn't just mean a big, heavy, slow moving bullet. Many times it is more precise placement that wins the day in the thick stuff. This Husqvarna in 243 has done the job up close many times.

This Marlin 336 in 35 Remington is normally my first choice for the deer hinting I do now. It is smooth and accurate. It leaves a hole on both sides for easy trailing, if it is necessary, but most of all I have carried it enough over the years that it seems to almost have become part of me. This one replaced a Marlin 336 in 44 magnum that I had been using off and on since 1967. The 35 Remington gives me the chance to take a deer at a longer range than the 44 magnum did. But basically the same rifle

Thinking I needed a new more modern rifle for my deer hunting, I bought this Remington 600 in 35 Remington from a friend a couple of months ago. It is very accurate, short and handy. I'm going to give this one a try in the woods this year to see if it will displace my Marlin 336

Harry
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My favorite is the winner I pull out in the great “who goes hunting today” contest I suffer with. Records say my Whitworth 458 WM loaded with 485 cast gc fn is in first place with my 1903 Springfield 35 Whelen loaded with 285 cast gc rn in second.
The Whitworth is scoped 1x 5 Burris and the Whelen goes with a peep and post.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I wanted a bolt action 35 Rem for years and could never find one at a reasonable price. I decided to have one made and I am very happy with the results. A Shaw MK Vll, stainless, 21" barrel.

I would still like to find a Remington Model 600 in 35 Rem(like the one above) or a Remington Model Seven KS.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=kandpand]I wanted a bolt action 35 Rem for years and could never find one at a reasonable price. I decided to have one made and I am very happy with the results. A Shaw MK Vll, stainless, 21" barrel.

I would still like to find a Remington Model 600 in 35 Rem(like the one above) or a Remington Model Seven KS.[/quot

I wanted one for awhile myself. I like the 35 Remington. I put a 20' tube chambered for 35 Remington on a Tikka T3 and a 1.5 -5 Leupy and it moved to the number one spot for deer and hogs. I have 2 Marlin 336's and a CVA single shot also. Right now everything eats 200 gr. RCBS.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mathsr, When I was shopping for my first rifle, 56 years ago, I really wanted a Remington 600 in .350 REM Mag. I don’t regret my ultimate decision, but really wish I could have gotten both!

Nice group of hunt’n rifles! memtb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
memtb, to me, luck has played a large part in my hunting rifles. My brother was talking about a bolt action rifle in 35 Remington he was building at our hunting club meeting. A friend mentioned that his wife hunted with one for years in 35 Rem and that she didn't use it any more. When he asked if I was interested, I jumped on it. My brother had looked for years for one in good shape, finally gave up and started his build. I wasn't even really looking hard and had it fall into my hands.

Harry
Page 18 of 24 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 56 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,314
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.