Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[quote=Swifty52]After 10 years working with Ozone I wouldn’t have that sh*t anywhere around the house. More downside than upside.[/quote

I did a quick search. Ozone generator vs. Air cleaner.

Seems ozone generator would be more effective but potentially dangerous. Would you seal it up, run the ozone generator to blast the mold and odors, let it air out. Then keep up with future odors using a dehumidifier and air filter?

Use ozone generator sparingly, as needed, careful not to breathe the O3? Once bulk of odor is gone keep up with it.

GB1

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Swifty52
After 10 years working with Ozone I wouldn’t have that sh*t anywhere around the house. More downside than upside.[/quote

I did a quick search. Ozone generator vs. Air cleaner.

Seems ozone generator would be more effective but potentially dangerous. Would you seal it up, run the ozone generator to blast the mold and odors, let it air out. Then keep up with future odors using a dehumidifier and air filter?

Use ozone generator sparingly, as needed, careful not to breathe the O3? Once bulk of odor is gone keep up with it.

Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
[quote=JohnGlenn]https://www.amazon.com/Purisystems-Filtration-PuriCare-Woodworking-Collector/dp/B09MK3GLRC/ref=mp_s_a_1_7_sspa?keywords=air+filter+systems+for+garage&qid=1687534596&sr=8-7-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfbXRm&psc=1

Might try something like this and a dehumidifier.

The smell is pretty bad and anything in it absorbs the smell very easily.

That's not going to do anything for the smell, that's to remove "dust, hard particles, etc"
An Ozone machine may work, but you would have to seal the garage, and it would run for days !
Fire restoration, and remediation companies know to kill the source. Look into SAFRAX for example.
After garage is completely dry, and clean,
Set a few buckets of water in garage, add CD and leave. wait a day, air out, repeat if necessary.

Yep. Kind of what I am thinking. Its not a living space, so I won't be out there breathing the Ozone. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton
The short term solution is an ozone generator, usually under $100. Close the place up, let the generator run for an hour or two, let it sit for another hour, and then open it up and let it air for an hour before you go in.

In the long term, it probably needs ventilation.

I have a $60 I bought on Amazon and does wonders for musty and mildew odors in my workshop. Its lasts maybe 2 or 3 weeks, then I run it again.

I saw a video where a guy had one of those, put it on a wasp nest that was in the ground, put an aquarium over the machine and the hole and ran if for about an hour. Killed almost every wasp.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by KFWA
The short term solution is an ozone generator, usually under $100. Close the place up, let the generator run for an hour or two, let it sit for another hour, and then open it up and let it air for an hour before you go in.

I have a $60 I bought on Amazon and does wonders for musty and mildew odors in my workshop. Its lasts maybe 2 or 3 weeks, then I run it again.

I saw a video where a guy had one of those, put it on a wasp nest that was in the ground, put an aquarium over the machine and the hole and ran if for about an hour. Killed almost every wasp.

Thanks. I honestly was not aware of ozone generators thought it was just another variant of air purifier. Think I will buy one and use it as needed. Also run a humidifier. The other suggestions are also good...gable vents for sure. I know it is not vented very well. It is well shaded...that doesn't help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, and it will kill you too. Ozone is a heavy oxidizer. Works extremely well to purify water especially when municipalities get their water direct from the river. Had to wear PPE when working in the Ozone generator building for more than 15 minutes. After about 5 minutes in that building I would lose sense of smell and taste for about an hour.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U need air, where you live and the Compass Direction of where it faces... and how much is in the trees or out of the trees prevailing wind... can solve this in a minute

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure where you're at, but you could move the garage and its contents Out West?

RH got down to 17% yesterday afternoon, and that's after having clouds most of the day. You should see it on a clear, dry, day.

If you're in a place where the humidity is high most days, these folks recommending the dehumidifier and fans are working in the right direction.

If you live in places like where I've lived, coastal NorCal and Juneau AK..............good luck. You'll need it. I've seen moss start growing around the door frames of cars that are parked in the shade for a month or two.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, just a warning..................if you get an ozone machine.............................don't get lost in the ozone.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

Thanks. Going this route.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Not sure where you're at, but you could move the garage and its contents Out West?

RH got down to 17% yesterday afternoon, and that's after having clouds most of the day. You should see it on a clear, dry, day.

If you're in a place where the humidity is high most days, these folks recommending the dehumidifier and fans are working in the right direction.

If you live in places like where I've lived, coastal NorCal and Juneau AK..............good luck. You'll need it. I've seen moss start growing around the door frames of cars that are parked in the shade for a month or two.

Born in the midwest. Lived "out west" for 12ish years then moved back to raise my kids closer to family and be closer to aging parents.

Humidity, mosquitoes, black knats, no cool evenings, hot as [bleep] in the summer, bone chilling cold in the winter, snow, wind chill factor, tornadoes, derechos, fall is 3 weeks long, spring is 2 weeks, limited big game options and only one kind of turkey, small game is all dead. I could go on. Lol.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

Yep, and it will kill you too. Ozone is a heavy oxidizer. Works extremely well to purify water especially when municipalities get their water direct from the river. Had to wear PPE when working in the Ozone generator building for more than 15 minutes. After about 5 minutes in that building I would lose sense of smell and taste for about an hour.

That's wild. I will look up some youtube videos. I will run it, open the overhead door when done. Thanks

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you want to do it right and get to the source, you’re going to have open up the tree canopy on the sun exposure side - otherwise excess moisture will have a hard time evaporating.

Then I’d seal the place up and run a powerful dehumidifier for a number of days to dry it out. After my folks had a large tree branch put a hole in the roof while they were in AZ for the winter, that’s exactly what the remediation company did. THEN fire up the ozone thing for the smells. Roof vents, gable vents, and soffit vents will help going forward, but the key is more sun exposure if possible.

FYI - 5 days of running a mega dehumidifier cost my folks (insurance) hundreds of dollars.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JohnGlenn

That's wild. I will look up some youtube videos. I will run it, open the overhead door when done. Thanks

Yep - you definitely can't be in the space when you are running it, and you have to air it out real good before going back in! I guess I should have mentioned that earlier.

Mine has a timer, I run it for an hour, then open up the exterior door. I hold my breath when opening up the door to ventilate the space. That stuff is nasty, but it airs out within a couple of hours. You can still smell the ozone residue for about a day, but it's not overpowering. After a couple of days, no noticeable smell at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

yea, we don't go near the thing while its running and let it air out for at least 2 hours afterwards before we go in

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

219 members (16penny, 14idaho, 308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 33 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,613
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.