Hop To
Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SinisterLefty
Originally Posted by dave284
Scopes cost more than rings, follow the scope manufacturers rec. I've saw several ring sets that even say that in their instructions. There are plenty of ways to keep a scope from moving in the rings. Or as mathman said, default to the lower of the two settings. I've never used ARC rings but any maker who recommends twice or more torque than what most other manufactures recommend would have me thinking about the quality of the product, regardless of cost.

Dave.

The reason the value is higher with ARC rings is surface area; they're significantly larger than most standard rings, and only use one screw per ring, so the compression of the rings is more evenly spread out than smaller rings with 4 screws per ring. Companies like ARC, Area419, NEAR, etc are going to have a better idea of the clamping force their rings create than a scope manufacturer who has no idea if you're going to run a one-piece Spuhr or some of those super-skinny junk rings everyone bought back in the 80s, so the scope maker is going to default to a lower torque value to keep warranty returns down.

For argument's sake, if I bought a set of CABABALIANG or Zeqwhusga (generic Chicom face-roll brand name) scope rings from Amazon that called out 55 in-lbs, I'd toss the directions in the trash and go with the standard 18 in-lbs.

I admire your patience amigo, trying to talk sense to this crowd and all. I didn’t have it in me.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
I admire your patience amigo, trying to talk sense to this crowd and all. I didn’t have it in me.

Have you ever posted a pic on this board of anything you've killed ?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I would never.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
It doesn’t take brains to kill a fenced animal. It does however take brains to pick a scope that works.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

He's an internet expert.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I would never.

Right on Paul......all mouth and lip service.......what a surprise.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Just tighten the ring screws till you see sparks and then give them another half turn.

I literally laughed out loud when I read this. Good one!

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by qwk
Whose specs? The rings or the scope’s specs? They often have very different recommendations.
They will dance around this issue, because their tubes are paper thin. Anything under 20 inch pounds is risking scope slip. You clamp some of these scopes to 25 inch pounds, and the side parallax freezes up. 55 inch lb will twist them up like a pretzel.

I use two ultra narrow strips of lead tape... sliced as thin as I can (1mm or so) in my rings and torque to the ring specs...

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/tape/material~lead/

I had old stock "lead string" from a very old gunsmith, but it is all used up now...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Athlon_Optics
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Athlon_Optics
Originally Posted by CashisKing
The eye box is the weak link with Athlon.

Many other things to like (clarity, repeatable dialing, durability, price point), but the eye box is as bad as they come IMHO. I will not be buying more until that matter is solved.

I'm curious about which particular scope you are referencing (and what you are comparing it to) ???

I switched from an ATACR 1-8 to a Cronus 1-6 on my 3GUN AR when I started working at Athlon and have found the eye box to be more forgiving on my Cronus.

2-12 Helos... It is simply awful.

In fairness, I will look around locally for a Cronus 1-6 before further comment.

The Cronus 1-6 is my favorite scope that we make - the glass is incredible and the reticle is incredibly intuitive.

Sounds impressive... I would like to look thru one someday...

I did NOT throw Athlon entirely under the bus... there is much to like at the cost Doug sold them... it is only the Eye Box that I find unacceptable.

Doug sold me a bunch of Minox HD ZA5 1.2-6... their Eye Box is as good as a S&B, Kahles et al...

HOWEVER some of the recitals "slip" on the Minox... so damn... another weak link scope.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 2-12x BTR Gen 2's forgiving nature,connects all dots,for those who actually shoot. Hint.

The only fhuqking thing that goes inside rings,are scope tubes. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The only fhuqking thing that goes inside rings,are scope tubes. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Not all of us like to use three, four or five scope rings to mount a scope...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon wares that exist,as you "shoot" your mouth and Imagination. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
So let me get this straight, Ring manufactures set torque values to prevent stripping the screws in their rings, scope manufactures set the torque value to prevent crushing the scope tube. Am I missing something or is this just a slow day for conflict?

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
no no , you are not missing anything.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Today. Hint.

Not all wares are "equal",nor close. Hint.

410600's and Swiffer rings,with a BTR Gen2 2-12x,to the rescue. Hint.................

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Today. Hint.

410600's and Swiffer rings,with a BTR Gen2 2-12x,to the rescue. Hint.................

Stick...

Your skill with the use of colored electrical tape is UNMATCHED.

It has been extraordinary to see your tape wrapping technique improve so dramatically over the past decade.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
You guys are great smile I'm taking a few days off for the 4th - will re-engage when I get back. Be safe !!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Just tighten the ring screws till you see sparks and then give them another half turn.

Yep, "farmer tight" is the way to go.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Today. Hint.

That can't be today... It's a Leupold scope. Or is it just for lapping? (Grin)

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
What if the ring maker’s specs conflict with the scope makers specs?

Go with what the scope manufacturer says. Athlon recommends 18-20 in/lbs on all of our scopes.

Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (35, 14idaho, 405winash, 257robertsimp, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 858 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,407
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.