Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Randy Selby always makes sense. To mock someone of his experience and wisdom is a distinct sign of immaturity and outright stupidity. Many of the comments I’ve read are by younger “know it all” imbeciles that have absolutely no clue. Here’s the consolation to their limited minds. They will piss away their money, and they will never be capable of earning the respect Selby has earned. They will go through life being the imbeciles their comments have proven they are. Good luck morons- you’ll need it. 😂

GB4

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, slow day so you're going to the diwnriggers, eh.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
In my opinion, I can’t judge people who can do something I can’t. As long as what they do is the legal taking of game, I feel it’s counterproductive to my own privilege to hunt to disparage other hunters.
^^^^^^
This

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Old Randy stirring up the campfire with his video, funny how many dont agree. Yet Old Randy is making money, from those who consider him a fool. Hunt how you want, and keep watching Randy, you are keeping his bank account full. 🤔

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
In my opinion, I can’t judge people who can do something I can’t. As long as what they do is the legal taking of game, I feel it’s counterproductive to my own privilege to hunt to disparage other hunters.

I'm not a long range hunter. Long range hunting is like a lot of things, it's best left to those who are proficient at it.

And bitching about it is best left to those who aren't.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I spend less time worrying about what others are legally doing and more time becoming more proficient and capable with what I’m doing.

The first time I shot out to a thousand yards was with a friend's rifle and at his range set up at different yardage. With him telling us what to dial on the scope, my son and I were able to make consistent hits out to a thousand yards. The kicker is allowing for wind.
If you have an accurate rifle, good scope-I like Vortex Razor scopes. A good chronograph, range finder, know the ballistic coefficient of your bullet. Have a good ballistic app. thousand yard shots when done correctly are not magical like some have thought.
This doesn't mean you don't have to practice to be efficient.
Not saying I'll shoot an animal at a thousand but there are those that can. Long distance shooting makes you a better marksman at all ranges.
Remember White Feather in Vietnam while shooting 30-06 and later 308 had his rifles sighted in below 500yds aim for balls beyond 500yds aim for head to a 1000. Of course he made longer shots also.
I do agree alot of hunters couldn't hit a pie plate at 100yds, many shoot at a rock and if it's close good enough.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Snacking on some elk sausage right now.

Hate to tell all the haters how far the shot was.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
As long as they are proficient and legal, I sure don't have a problem with it.

Probably 1/4 of the hunters out there shouldn't be taking even 100 yard shots. wink

Every year a few weeks before deer season you can go to tge local range and watch dozens of guys shoot a few boxes of ammo each just trying to "get on paper". I'm much more likely to make a 600 yard shot than many of them are to make a 100 yard shot. Ethical hunting is knowing your limits in a wide variety of situations.

Bb

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I enjoy shooting long. I enjoy it because it shows you what you are capable of. Hit or miss it shows you, steel plates don't walk off bleeding to suffer either. I don't practice on animals. Once a month shoot with some local guys on a small ranch south of town 5 shots offhand 100yds, 5 shots @ 200 off sticks, 5 @ 300 off sticks, and 5@ 400 off sticks. 20 shots for score black powder and lead bullets, with tang sights. Learn something new everytime you go because the wind allways changes. Last month I shot 18/20 missed 1st offhand and 5th one, ran the rest. The bullet splatters got repainted and nothing walked off bleeding to die later. Next weekend I go back to Montana for a 40 shot match at 1000 yds same gun same ammo and a whole lot more humble score. Last year I shot 19/40 my best at a 1000 yds sure I hope to better that next weekend. But for sure the wind never is the same , the elevations will change with the temp and humidity. Only 2 constants I will have some fun and enjoyment and when I'm done those 4 moa targets won't walk off bleeding. Know your limits but don't fail to challenge them..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 07/02/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Where I hunt, a long shot is 100 yards or less. Lots of folks around here can’t even handle that. Out in Wyoming, much longer shots present themselves. I applaud my friends that take game, cleanly and regularly at long ranges.

Sam......

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
See a lot of three legged deer these days.

I thought it was the 10 year old apprentice hunting program. Maybe it's the high speed low drag boys instead.

Hard to know.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ron Spomer is a well know outdoors personality that frowns upon long range shooting at big game. I have heard him say that about 1/4 mile is the ethical limit for shooting at big game.

He gives two reasons for his conclusion that 1/4 mile is about the maximum for ethical shooting at big game. Number one is wind deflection: he understands that today's tech provides the dope for vertical drop, but the ability to gauge the wind over long distances is at best a guess (long range target shooters often times need one or two shots to get on paper when wind is involved). Number two Ron Spomer gives for a 1/4 mile maximum ethical distance is time of flight for the bullet: he understands that if the game takes a step, by the time the bullet reaches the game animal a lung shot is now a gut shot.

Another u-toob personality very outspoken when it comes to ethical hunting issues is Desert Dog Outdoors.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFgoMna-L8AhkQvYe9dKY4w/videos

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The safest bet is to quit hunting and don't shoot at anything because you could wound it or offend someone. Making assumptions based on one's own preconceived notions or emotions is intellectually lazy, and the conservative mindset of attacking its own is a problem.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When they invent a gadget that can stop the wind then I'll start shooting at animals at 1000

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Tesoro
When they invent a gadget that can stop the wind then I'll start shooting at animals at 1000

Yup the tough factor is wind, its mostly flat where I live. Most of the time it's windy with gusts, not to mention the man made and natural windbreaks. Often the wind settles down at dusk. Longrange shooters have spotters to help with this in particular.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by dakota300rum

Yup the tough factor is wind, its mostly flat where I live. Most of the time it's windy with gusts, not to mention the man made and natural windbreaks. Often the wind settles down at dusk. Longrange shooters have spotters to help with this in particular.

my bet is 1:300 hunters can read the wind well enough, and shoot well enough, to make a heart/lung shot vs a gut shot at 1000

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dakota300rum

my bet is 1:300 hunters can read the wind well enough, and shoot well enough, to make a heart/lung shot vs a gut shot at 1000

Curious have you done much LRS do you know guys that burn out barrels on a fairly regular basis. Do you know what a Kestral linked ballistic app. is. Cause there are guys I wouldn't bet against.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If your talking the regular hunter I would tend to agree.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If I lived in more open, friendly terrain I would take longer shots. It just takes one time trying to find an animal on a steep brushy slope when you are already spent or in a clearcut and it makes you a little more motivated to get closer. Searching for game sucks.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yea Calvin different terrain different skills and tactics. Thick wooded areas lots of lever actions, pumps, Semi autos and shotgun slug hunting. Real open longer ranges where I live. Sounds like you live in a sit and wait area.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,095
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.