Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
Since I'm the OP, I kind of hate being the turd in the punchbowl, but after reading through all this, I realized my own experience was worth mentioning.

I have not done much pussyfooting in the deer woods recently. The lingering neuropathy in my feet will probably preclude it for at least this season. However, I did do quite a bit of time early on in Ohio and Indiana. There really was nothing better than 12 Gauge. Even when I moved my hunting to Kentucky, I still tried to spend at least one day playing Buckeye old-schooler.

I give you 3 examples:

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]
This is a Remington 1100 with a smoothbore barrel and rifle sights. This is my first and overall favorite. I used to shoot everything with this: dove, turkey, trap, skeet-- albeit with different barrels.

Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel. What the 1100 could do at 50 yards, this one could duplicate at 100 yards. It is my turkey gun most years.

When my buddy, Big Bob, died, I inherited "Luigi." It's a Stoeger SXS with Mauser sights welded onto the rib. I still haven't had this one out.

It dawned on me that we've kind of had this discussion before:

——————–

JBabcock
Campfire Regular

Reged: 12/07/02
Loc: Auburn, Wash.
Re: Brush Guns [Re: shaman]
#1062925 – 10/30/06 07:35 AM

I think the whole concept of a “brush gun” is nothing more than a myth.

I use my bolt actions for all hunting, including heavily wooded terrain. There, I can pull the trigger on it just as fast as I can any other kind of gun. And most times, you only get one shot. I can run the bolt fast enough if needed.

shaman
Campfire Ranger

Reged: 12/28/02
Loc: Neave, KY
Re: Brush Guns [Re: JBabcock]
#1063018 – 10/30/06 08:37 AM

Then I would not change a thing. Some things just work. You’re lucky enough to stop right where you are. Me? I gave up all my other vices, and I got married. I got bored with college football, I’m lousy with cars. It was either deer rifles or a saltwater aquarium.

I personally find that when I walk out to one of my bow hunting stands with my bolt 30-06 and my beanfield scope and try to hunt, I keep hearing sniggers. It may be just the wind. It may be my imagination but it might be the deer. On the other hand, I have a hard time seeing the other end of my pasture without binos. As a result, I’ve got to pick a venue and take a rifle to hunt it.

Probably my best overall deer rifle is the Savage 99 in 308. If I was going somewhere where I did not know what I run into, it would be either my primary gun for deer-sized stuff or certainly the backup. It comes as close any I would have to the one-gun rifle. The Winnie bolt gun in Ought-Six comes in #2, but it has a big honkin’ scope on it leftover from my days using it as a varmint gun. Close-in, you have your choice of which small patch of hair you want to see.

I am a hunter that shoots, rather than a shooter than hunts, so I don’t have all that many closets filled with deer rifles, but the subject of what makes a good deer rifle intrigues me. It’s a fascination instead of an obsession. I can quit at any time, honest.

The Shaman’s Myth of the Brush Gun– the real one

You’re right in the end: the brush gun is really just a myth. On the other hand, I can pick up my 1100 and a fresh box of Sluggers and walk into the cedars and something magical happens. The deer are sniggering as much as ever, but for one brief Saturday afternoon I’m away from the shaving mirror and me and the brush gun can slip into the woods.

I can stalk the deer and when I look down that 1100 is still as bright and shiny as the day I bought it. The Remington Sluggers are just as green, and as long as I stay along the ridge, and maybe angle downhill a little bit and don’t try to go back it can be like twenty-something years ago back in Hocking Hills on Opening Day. The only thing missing is the stray shots zipping through the treetops. Those I don’t miss at all.

Of course the 1100 is starting to get a little dented, but I’m not wearing my reading glasses. I don’t see the wear on the stock, or the lines on my hands. Along about sunset, I start trudging back up the ridge and as long as I do it slow enough the myth keeps working. Finally, I get back home and put my brush gun up on the rack next to Moose’s Garand and Angus’ Mosin Nagant– my sons don’t seem to mind the weight. They’d schlep a boat anchor through the woods if they thought it would get them a deer.

Once in a great while I catch some deer laughing a little to hard or too long out there in the cedars, and it makes the trip worthwhile by reaffirming the myth and topping off the freezer. KY rifle season ends, and I don’t feel bad about not buying an Ohio tag and joining the orange army the next Monday for the start of shotgun season. I put the 1100 away and don’t think about it until next year.

Hello Shaman
I have killed 2 deer with a Stevens 20ga. SXS. Do yourself a favor and take out that Stoeger and give it a try. You just got to get close.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by battue
What does that have to do with another's success. You seem to do well with your .30-30...So what? What does it prove? Actually nothing, except it works for you.

And that .30-30 would be far from a first choice of the "successful" Deer hunters I know. But again, that would prove nothing.
The most successful deer hunter I ever knew used a .30-30. Course he didn't let bag limits get in the way of his fun and routinely killed 4-5 bucks every season. He had killed well over 200 bucks right here in NY before he died. Those who don't use one tend to underestimate their effectiveness and suitability for woods whitetails. I have many scoped bolt actions from which to choose but most often a .30-30 will be in my hands if I'm going to hunt the woods. It will do everything that needs doing to kill whitetails.

Everybody I knew that put up numbers like that used a 22 mag

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Blackheart
What does that have to do with another's success. You seem to do well with your .30-30...So what? What does it prove? Actually nothing, except it works for you.

And that .30-30 would be far from a first choice of the "successful" Deer hunters I know. But again, that would prove nothing.
The most successful deer hunter I ever knew used a .30-30. Course he didn't let bag limits get in the way of his fun and routinely killed 4-5 bucks every season. He had killed well over 200 bucks right here in NY before he died. Those who don't use one tend to underestimate their effectiveness and suitability for woods whitetails. I have many scoped bolt actions from which to choose but most often a .30-30 will be in my hands if I'm going to hunt the woods. It will do everything that needs doing to kill whitetails.

Everybody I knew that put up numbers like that used a 22 mag
It is good to know what poachers use. Perhaps Blackheart can show pictures of his vast successes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When they pass out tags like penny candy, and even to the point they let family pass them around, there must be a lot of Deer to be killed …. It can’t be all that difficult to pad your numbers with 5-7 Does per year.

Sounds more like shooting than hunting. Similar to Doves, which is a shoot more than a hunt.

anymore, i only shoot 3 deer (150lbs per deer and that equals to 65-70lbs of meat) to feed me. one buck tag and 2 doe tags. i don't shoot the little ones, just average to oh my God, thats a big deer!!!

"back in the day" wink my friend had farm depredation tags, so he and i shot many, many deer.

we hunt for doves, we would go 1 bird/15 shotgun shells to 1 bird/2-4 shotgun shells. my God, were those things quick!!! dove season opened to pheasant season and it was shooting balloons out of the sky. 1 bird/1 shotgun shell.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

S
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Use the same one for up close as you would for out far.

Easier to make a short shot with a longer range set up than it is to be handicapped with a short range rig on a longer shot.

There is a lot of truth there. After I moved my hunting from Ohio (shotgun-only at that time) to Kentucky (anything goes), my first attempts were simply shooting my Rem 742 in 30-06 with 180 grainers from my bow treestands. That habit persisted for the better part of 30 years before I really started to extend my ranges. Let me tell you: if you thing Ought-Six is a wonder inside 200 yards, you should see what it does inside 20 yards.

I kind of had come to your conclusion myself as part of my 44 Magnum experiment. I put up a stand meant for 50 yard shots and the only buck that showed up gave me a shot at 100 yards.

As I reach 65 this month, I still have so much deer-related goo rolling around in my head. It probably comes from reading way too many Outdoor Life magazines as a kid. I started out this thread trying to figure out why a well-respected author chose a 6.5 mm Mannlicher stocked gun for close-in stalking. 18 pages later, I am scratching my head even more.

The one basic truth of deer hunting I've gleaned from all this is that inside 50 yards, anything goes.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I went through a close range phase where all I wanted to hunt with was a 30-30 or 35 REM lever action. I put scopes on them, telling myself that they were real threats at 225 yards. And they were, just not as good as a 280 Rem. The 280 Rem and its close kin are better at 50, 100, & 300. In an 8lb rifle setup, it’s not a bad carrying rifle either. A 3-9X scope set on 3X has plenty of Field of View too. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Killed quite a few "woods" deer from whitetail does to 300-pound mule deer bucks with the .30-06 and 200-grain Nosler Partitions. Not all were 50 yards or less, but all well inside 100.

Used this combination because at the time a bolt-action .30-06 with a 4x scope was my only big game rifle, having lost some others due to a divorce. Had long known the .30-06 was a fine all-around cartridge for Montana game, but didn't realize quite how well it worked with that one load until using it.

It worked very well on whitetail does without ruining much meat at all, and also shot lengthwise through a big mule deer buck facing almost directly away.

Of course, it also worked well on elk--which is the main reason I started loading it. But also killed one pronghorn doe with a rib-shot at 250 yards, and she dropped quickly as well--with the same minor meat-damage.

All of which is one more factor about why the longer I hunt, the more I've started disbelieving all the agonizing rifle loonies often go through to pick the "perfect" rifle and cartridge. This may seem like heresy, but there it is.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't think there is a perfect rifle and cartridge.

But there are darn good ones, and a couple rifles in different cartridges might suffice.

If I HAD to go with one rifle for woods hunting (under 150 yards) I'd have a Ruger #1 RSI done in .35 rem.

Alas, it wouldn't kill my deer any more dead than my beater 760 in .35 rem.

I really need to leave it in the safe this season and blood my bolt rig in .30-06.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/02/23.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
That last paragraph should be graven in granite at the foot of Mt Rushmore.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
One I plan to use this fall, close-in......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

hope to hammer em'

S X S double, 30 WCF

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by flintlocke
That last paragraph should be graven in granite at the foot of Mt Rushmore.

Thanks!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Geedubya,

Nice old double!

Who made it?

Have mentioned before that I had a Sauer hammer drilling in 12x12/.30-30 for a number of years, which worked very well on game from deer to birds, both ducks and upland.

Aside from the open sights, it also had one of those flip-up tang aperture sights some older German break-action guns feature. At 100 yards, standard factory 170-grain loads shot 2" high--which was perfect.

John

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Killed quite a few "woods" deer from whitetail does to 300-pound mule deer bucks with the .30-06 and 200-grain Nosler Partitions. Not all were 50 yards or less, but all well inside 100.

Used this combination because at the time a bolt-action .30-06 with a 4x scope was my only big game rifle, having lost some others due to a divorce. Had long known the .30-06 was a fine all-around cartridge for Montana game, but didn't realize quite how well it worked with that one load until using it.

It worked very well on whitetail does without ruining much meat at all, and also shot lengthwise through a big mule deer buck facing almost directly away.

Of course, it also worked well on elk--which is the main reason I started loading it. But also killed one pronghorn doe with a rib-shot at 250 yards, and she dropped quickly as well--with the same minor meat-damage.

All of which is one more factor about why the longer I hunt, the more I've started disbelieving all the agonizing rifle loonies often go through to pick the "perfect" rifle and cartridge. This may seem like heresy, but there it is.

John, that was a bit of a shock, yet quite refreshing to see you say that! Heresy or not……maybe we’re not on opposite ends of the spectrum in our thoughts about hunting firearms!

Though, having anything in common with me “will” likely have you labeled as a heretic! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/02/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Can't argue with Geedubya. I'd carry that trackin' rig. If it'll let you pull both triggers at the same time for the big ones, it's the perfect brush gun.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Geedubya,

Nice old double!

Who made it?

Have mentioned before that I had a Sauer hammer drilling in 12x12/.30-30 for a number of years, which worked very well on game from deer to birds, both ducks and upland.

Aside from the open sights, it also had one of those flip-up tang aperture sights some older German break-action guns feature. At 100 yards, standard factory 170-grain loads shot 2" high--which was perfect.

John

Sir,

The seller had recently acquired 5 doubles. I purchased this 30 WCF Double and a Burgsmueller & Sohn Double chambered for the 405 Winchester from him.

The information I got was that the rifle was made in 1976 in Suhl, Germany. The only identifier that I saw was the "KruppStahl" stamp.

ya!

GWB

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
GWB,

Thanks for the info, and the photo.

A bunch of old German guns that don't really reveal much more. Have owned several with only the "Kruppstahl" stamp, which only indicates where the steel was produced. But have yet to own one that wasn't a fine gun! That .405 sounds like another....

Good hunting,
John

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never did I imagine a SxS hammer gun chambered for the .30-30. KUDOS!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

my grandpap(RIP), Dad (RIP) and my uncle (RIP) had '06s. my dad and grandpap had Rem m760, while my uncle had Rem m760 (pump actions are a PA thing.) i had a Rem m700 Mountain rifle in '06 with a 4x scope. we had Rem 180gr RN factory ammo. most shots were 50 yards and under. my dad had killed a very old and fat 9 pt at 250ish yards and he used open sights. he had a 1.5 - 5?x Weaver on a see thru mount, but he never sighted it in. my dad killed alot of deer with that rifle.

the more i think about the "perfect" rifle and cartridge to hunt with is my Winchester m94 TE in 30-30 (which is now a 35/30-30) that my grandpap gave me. i killed alot of deer with that rifle. what do i do with it? i put her in the safe for about 20 years and then i forgot about her. then a few years ago i heard about the 35/30-30 and i sent it to JES Reboring and he did an awesome job.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Never did I imagine a SxS hammer gun chambered for the .30-30. KUDOS!

ya!

GWB

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Any Savage 99

Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 1234, 1badf350, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 74 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,831
Posts18,496,650
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.