Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Burns invented long range hunting.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've seen plenty of precision range shooting at 1000 yards to believe it isn't a big challenge for competent marksmen. Dan Lilja writes on the subject and the way they go about it is cautious and ethical seems to me. With excellent range finders and superbly accurate rifles with plenty of power it isn't a bigger risk than some of the offhand shots average hunters take. Sending a sighter over the animal's head until the windage is dialed in, then dropping down on target is very similar to long range competition when you don't have a good zero. A spotter behind the shooter can easily see the vapor trail trace of the bullet in flight. You can see the wind shifting mirage in the spotting scope too if it's blowing. An elk hunter I know has only shot one under 400 yards without any sophisticated setup. Which takes more skill, or luck?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[quote=Crash_Pad]I've seen plenty of precision range shooting at 1000 yards to believe it isn't a big challenge for competent marksmen. Dan Lilja writes on the subject and the way they go about it is cautious and ethical seems to me. With excellent range finders and superbly accurate rifles with plenty of power it isn't a bigger risk than some of the offhand shots average hunters take. Sending a sighter over the animal's head until the windage is dialed in, then dropping down on target is very similar to long range competition when you don't have a good zero. A spotter behind the shooter can easily see the vapor trail trace of the bullet in flight. You can see the wind shifting mirage in the spotting scope too if it's blowing. An elk hunter I know has only shot one under 400 yards without any sophisticated setup. Which takes more skill, or luck?[/quo
te]

Nice take on it!!

Last edited by dakota300rum; 07/02/23.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well duh ya old fktard, you can't kill shiznit at 1k with a "Douglas Air Gauged in 30-06 " fk me, get a real cartridge for fks sake

fkn Boomers and their old ways ... SMH ... in ten years their bullshlitz will be buried with them, finally

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I enjoy shooting long on the range,and do so regularly and enjoy the challenge, but in the field hunting it's rare for me to shoot critter over250 yards, in our envirornment you normally can't see much over 200 yards.. Rio7

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Randy Selby is being fed by someone who wants his money when he's dead. I called and talked to him about reboring a barrel for me. He wanted $500 plus return shipping so I passed. I'm really glad I did! I later learned he sends barrels to JES and someone else and doesn't even rebore them himself. Supposedly his P&W gun drill and rifling machines haven't been run in more than 20 years.

Medics bury their mistakes..
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dinny
Supposedly his P&W gun drill and rifling machines haven't been run in more than 20 years.

Must be more profitable to run his yap on youtube.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am old enough to remember a time when your skill as a hunter was based on how close you could get to your quarry.

This. If you hit and kill a deer or elk 900 yards away then yeah that's a great shot. But it's not really anything to brag about from a hunting standpoint. And I'd be just as impressed if you hit a 12 inch metal gong at that distance. As far as hunting skill goes I am more impressed by a shot from less than 50 yards. Maybe that's just the bow hunter in me.

I have always said when it comes to hunting if it's legal and you want to do it then more power to you. But I also wonder how honest the practitioners of long range hunting are about their success rate. Of course you will see the shots that worked out fine on TV or posted on the internet. I doubt seriously they are posting the shots that hit the animal in the ass or blew one of it's legs off.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The deciding factor is respect. If you respect your quarry, you will limit yourself to your own skill set. With modern technology in optics, bullets, ballistic calculators etc, more people can shoot further than they used to be able to. That doesn't mean that everyone should, but in my opinion, more people can. The man in the video makes some pretty foolish claims.....

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you’re good……folks know it! They don’t have to be told!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm a bow hunter also, the shots I decide to take are usually 20 yards. I certainly do not go out hunting to try and see how far away I'm going to shoot an animal. It is the idea of being proficient at the range the quarry presents its self. There are geographic areas that often make getting closer impossible. If a person doesn't feel confident in taking the shot then pass on it.
One can question any form of hunting as far as success or wounding.
* bow hunting
* Muzzleloader hunting
* Handgun hunting
If you take a trained practiced LRS with excellent equipment vs the seasons open pick up the old gun and shoot at a rock hunter whats the success ratio
This gets silly to me, do the things mentioned happen I'm sure they do they happen in all the other "ACCEPTED" hunting methods, YES THEY DO.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JeffP
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
I am old enough to remember a time when your skill as a hunter was based on how close you could get to your quarry.

Me too.

Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
In my opinion, I can’t judge people who can do something I can’t. As long as what they do is the legal taking of game, I feel it’s counterproductive to my own privilege to hunt to disparage other hunters.

I agree with you too. If you can , and that’s your thing, good for you. My problem with LRS isn’t the guys that can. It’s the guys buying these “1000 yard out of the box” rifles, who can’t shoot 200 yards (and have never practiced at ranges they are taking shots) going hunting with them. And taking shots on game they have no business taking.
And can't "read" animal behavior,an animal can make 1 - 2 steps before a bullet can make it 1000 yds, turning a kill into a wounded critter.
That's not accounting for the variable winds over 1000 yards.

I'll get fairly close, thank you.

Legal and morally ethical are 2 different subjects.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
What does Burns think...LOL

He thinks Zelensky and Ukes win and Trump and Putin lose.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I'm old enough to remember when a guy had to be a hunter and had to get within fairly close range to get dinner.

Randy Selby is a hunter and has a winner here.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by JeffP

Me too.

In my opinion, I can’t judge people who can do something I can’t. As long as what they do is the legal taking of game, I feel it’s counterproductive to my own privilege to hunt to disparage other hunters.

I agree with you too. If you can , and that’s your thing, good for you. My problem with LRS isn’t the guys that can. It’s the guys buying these “1000 yard out of the box” rifles, who can’t shoot 200 yards (and have never practiced at ranges they are taking shots) going hunting with them. And taking shots on game they have no business taking.

They often get that 1000 yard gun and start shooting at game that far in a 10 mph crosswind and have no clue about how far the bullet drifts or the power it hits with or the velocity it takes to result in expansion. Just as Selby said.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/02/23.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's what people who can't shoot worth a piss say.
I'm not opposed to shooting an animal at any distance that I can confidently. I prefer to be closer because it reduces the margin of error, but sometimes it is what it is. Guys who go out of their way to make a long shot are not the kind I want to associate with in any capacity.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my opinion, I can’t judge people who can do something I can’t.

There is a huge assumption in the statment above, which is mentioned in various ways by several posters. It is that anyone who chooses not to shoot game at long range cannot do it. Not so.

Some folks simply choose not to take long range shots on game. Some of them can make the shot, but choose not to. It is a disservice to them to say that they can't, and skews the discussion away from reality into aspersions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

870 yards in a 17 mph 90° wind from right to left. 1.75 mil hold off

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Nice.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,906
Posts18,518,578
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.