Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Is it time to lay the "pre-64" Winchester crap to rest? That's almost 60 years ago now (for the younger kids that skipped math class). I have a "pre-64" Model 12. It's a very fine pump shotgun. I could shoot it another quarter million times and it wouldn't be worn out. It does the job for sure. I also have an early 90's Wingmaster that when compared side by side is a tin can, but in maybe 10,000 rounds (admittedly not that many) hasn't had an issue.
I will say I haven't been exposed to many Model 70's, although a cousin has a 300 H&H that is a might fine rifle. I just think we are so far past 1964 that it is no longer relevant.
I've put on my asbestos underware and kevlar vest, so flame and hammer away.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don’t see there being a big demand for them in the future. The people that appreciate them are dying and younger shooters don’t buy anything you can’t call a “platform”.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes. Send your pre-64s to me and I will dispose of them properly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Winchester Model 70's built before 1964 deserve to be SHOT by RIFLEMEN. I can't stand safe queens or the fetishistic prices paid for same.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think there will always be a demand and they will continue to increase in value as they always have. People appreciate quality.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My next door neighbor and hunting partner has a pre-'64 Mdl. 70 in .300 H&H Magnum. He has killed several elk and deer with it. I think he is going to keep it. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DMc
I think there will always be a demand and they will continue to increase in value as they always have. People appreciate quality.
Take a look at the pre 64 checkering,inletting and machine work on the actions and tell me about quality. There was a reason they went the direction they did . Take a look at a new Winchester 70. Better all the way around.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Yes. Send your pre-64s to me and I will dispose of them properly.

This.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I own three pre-64's M70's and they are all "low cost" customs. Most recent is an early 70's Dale Goen's 6.5x55 purchased not long ago. I hope to have it out Friday for the first time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s a quality benchmark…don’t think it’ll ever go away.

It’s also a selling point…that won’t go away either.

I’d guess it’ll always matter. More to the seller right up until it’s sold, then more to the buyer, especially when they might become the seller someday. 😎

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Beautiful, EdM

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/05/23.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I don’t see there being a big demand for them in the future. The people that appreciate them are dying and younger shooters don’t buy anything you can’t call a “platform”.

Flawed logic...

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by DMc
Take a look at the pre 64 checkering,inletting and machine work on the actions and tell me about quality. There was a reason they went the direction they did . Take a look at a new Winchester 70. Better all the way around.

Are you saying Winchester moved away from the pre-64 era guns to make them better, or am I misunderstanding you?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

Flawed logic...

I’m in my thirties and I have 6 pre-64 Winchesters. I’ll own more as soon as this house is paid off and my wife and I build the casita which will include a reinforced gun room. 2 more years as long as the world keeps turning….

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by DMc

Are you saying Winchester moved away from the pre-64 era guns to make them better, or am I misunderstanding you?

That appears to be what he said. It’s probably not the first or last mistake of his life.

When you are good enough to disassemble a bolt, take a good look at the machining that went in inside those early bolts. Cheapening the production cost of a Model 70 Winchester didn’t actually start in 1964, they started streamlining the metal work, well before 1964…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
And it is well documented that the changes occurred as cost saving measures, particularly to compete with Remington.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DMc

This.

Here's my pre-64 Super Grade. You can easily distinguish it from anything they made after 1963.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 16 gauge model 12 that I built from parts All the parts are "pre 64". It is a one of a kind, serial numbers do not match, probably no two parts came from the same gun, Skeet barrel, solid rib, crow foot safety, gorgeous highly figured chocolate colored Herters wood. It's about as perfect a grouse gun as can be had. When I get to the point where I am no longer able to shoot it, I am pretty certain it is going to make someone very happy and proud to own.

Over a lot of years I just accumulated parts as spares for my other M-12s and at some point I realized I had well more than enough parts to assemble a whole gun, plus I had the tools to properly fit them all together.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I like them. I don’t harbor any belief that they are the end all be all. They are just cool old weapons that work. Kinda like an old watch or hand fitted tool.
Besides, I’m a bit of a Winchester fan.

As to them holding or increasing in value. All one has to do is look at what M77’s and 700’s are fetching today. It’s crazy.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Post '64 Winchesters were cheaper to manufacture, end of story.

Pre '64 M70's shoot OK by me. 100 yard group during load development...

It's a boring rifle and I like them like that.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 3,278 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,542
Posts18,510,082
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.