-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I recently picked up an unfired REM 700 XCR II and when I removed the base screw plugs I noticed the front hole (over the chamber) is blind.

I am only able to get 2 1/2 turns with any base/screw combo before it bottoms out.

I’ve owned well over 50 Rem 700’s and they all have been tapped clear through so you could see the barrel threads.

This one has a nice clean flat bottom (looks factory finished) but as mentioned is only a few threads deep.

Anybody encountered this?

May explain why it was unfired lol.

Last edited by 280_ACKLEY; 07/07/23.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"
HR IC

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have owned well over 50 Rem 700s. All have have been tapped clear through - so one could see the barrel threads.

In my experiance, what you have is NOT the norm.

GB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do the base screws tighten or are they too long for that hole?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GeoW
Do the base screws tighten or are they too long for that hole?

The other three are all good, but the front screw is far too loose with any of the standard screws supplied with any of my variety of bases.

Went through all my old screws and found the shortest screw imaginable, and it’ll just start to snug up when it bottoms out (at ~ 2 1/2 revs)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen bases that use one long screw and one short one and was thinking that perhaps that is what was going on. Hope it get straightened out for you.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've seen bases that use one long screw and one short one and was thinking that perhaps that is what was going on. Hope it get straightened out for you.

Isn’t that because of the thickness of the base rather than varying tap depth in the receiver?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies

Thinking at this point I’ll have my smith pull the barrel and drill and tap it.

I just can’t imagine Big Green using a blind hole, so hopefully it’s not a broken tap in there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

Isn’t that because of the thickness of the base rather than varying tap depth in the receiver?

This is what I was thinking...
Link

Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

This is what I was thinking...
Link

No. According to the OP - the front hole of the receiver is "blind" - it was not drilled all the way through the action. That is the issue. Not the base or length of the screw.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had to file/grind more than one of those front screws to get it to fit and tighten correctly. But, as you said, you could see the barrel threads through the hole, not a blind hole. I would suggest a competent gunsmith and possible have the 4 holes D&T for 8-40 screws instead of the 6-40 they are now.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
B
You might just try the short screw you mentioned and put a small washer in the base slot, just a thought

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.