Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 21 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 20 21
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pavementends
So let me get this straight, Ring manufactures set torque values to prevent stripping the screws in their rings, scope manufactures set the torque value to prevent crushing the scope tube. Am I missing something or is this just a slow day for conflict?

You know, You’d think there would be an industry standard. Where both the scope and rings are to be torqued within couple inch/lbs of each other where you won’t crush the tube like vortex which is like 15in/lbs? and some rings want 20 in/lbs

Last edited by Dre; 07/08/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It would seem that ring bearing surface, number of screws, screw size, and thread pitch would all effect the pressure (force per unit area) on the scope.

Scope manufacturers could specify alowable pressure, and ring makers could list pressures across the alowed torque range and maximum torque to prevent thread failure.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jimone
It would seem that ring bearing surface, number of screws, screw size, and thread pitch would all effect the pressure (force per unit area) on the scope.

Scope manufacturers could specify alowable pressure, and ring makers could list pressures across the alowed torque range and maximum torque to prevent thread failure.
That just makes too much sense and wouldn’t be any fun! Then what would we argue about? As an alternative, the scope manufacturer could also state the torque values specified with a particular recommended ring. Which I don’t think I’ve ever seen, even with in-house rings. Again, I guess that level of clarity is asking too much?

Which is what makes most of what scope manufacturers put out just laughable. Without specifics, and the inherent variability of different ring options, these figures are meaningless. So top quality ARC rings at 55 or even Nightforce at 25 would void my Athlon (or Vortex, or Swarovski) warranty and/or be deemed misuse? When I see torque values (especially wimpy ones) mentioned as a max that a scope manufacturer states, that tells me everything I need to know. Pass.

I suppose the best one could do these days would be to use the same manufacturer’s scope AND rings. That way there’s no room for interpretation? But what about scopes, like Swaro, who list a torque value (wimpy af!) and yet don’t make rings? Haha, the horror!

Last edited by SDHNTR; 07/08/23.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

That just makes too much sense and wouldn’t be any fun! Then what would we argue about? As an alternative, the scope manufacturer could also state the torque values specified with a particular recommended ring. Which I don’t think I’ve ever seen, even with in-house rings. Again, I guess that level of clarity is asking too much?

Which is what makes most of what scope manufacturers put out just laughable. Without specifics, and the inherent variability of different ring options, these figures are meaningless. So top quality ARC rings at 55 or even Nightforce at 25 would void my Athlon (or Vortex, or Swarovski) warranty and/or be deemed misuse? When I see torque values (especially wimpy ones) mentioned as a max that a scope manufacturer states, that tells me everything I need to know. Pass.

I suppose the best one could do these days would be to use the same manufacturer’s scope AND rings. That way there’s no room for interpretation? But what about scopes, like Swaro, who list a torque value (wimpy af!) and yet don’t make rings? Haha, the horror!

Still a battle in your little brain about minor things. I've been big game hunting for 52 years, and have been mounting scopes that long as well. I've never had one single issue with scopes not working correctly when not using the cheater bar mentality on scope ring mounts, ever. That includes Athlon, Arken, Leupy, Meopta, Bushy Elite, Burris, S&B, Zeiss, and Swaro 1" and 30mm tubes. It ain't that hard.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good talk. Resorting to insults because you have nothing of value to add to the conversation.

I like precision and details matter. As a consumer, a higher level is expected and deserved these days. Fudd on buddy.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've got experience and pics to prove it, you don't, but keep on reading internet stuff.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Haha, if you only knew.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Says the guy who can't even figure out how to torque a scope ring........keep going, you're doing great!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lol! You totally missed the entire point of this. All my questions are rhetorical, mixed with intentional cynicism, satire and admittedly snarky posts. Went right over your head.

I’m always willing to learn but I don’t think the additional figuring out is for me on this process. I know what to use and how to use it. IMO, the figuring is now up to scope manufactures to do better. It’s not for me, it’s probably not even for you, it’s for the legions of hunters new and old who are setting up their stuff wrong and or getting lousy results because of inadequate, insufficient or incorrect specifics from manufacturers and potential damage due to lesser build quality. It shouldn’t be acceptable anymore.

When 90% of warranty returns (you heard it here) come from one thing, there’s a problem somewhere. Lack of information or a build quality issue. Across the industry, both need attention.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
All mouth, no cattle.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Lol! You totally missed the entire point of this. All my questions are rhetorical, mixed with intentional cynicism, satire and admittedly snarky posts. Went right over your head.

I’m always willing to learn but I don’t think the additional figuring out is for me on this process. I know what to use and how to use it. IMO, the figuring is now up to scope manufactures to do better. It’s not for me, it’s probably not even for you, it’s for the legions of hunters new and old who are setting up their stuff wrong and or getting lousy results because of inadequate, insufficient or incorrect specifics from manufacturers and potential damage due to lesser build quality. It shouldn’t be acceptable anymore.

When 90% of warranty returns (you heard it here) come from one thing, there’s a problem somewhere. Lack of information or a build quality issue. Across the industry, both need attention.

How many times do you have to repeat “righty tighty lefty loosey” in your head while having a go at those ever so tricky fasteners?

As the rep said, 90% of the general public need to be spoon fed their mush or it’ll end up on their shirt, and here you are removing any doubt

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Please make more ffp scopes with smaller capped windage adjustments and a reticle that you can use fir wind hold offs. I prefer mil/mil. I bought one of your 4-16 models that has capped windage but the cap is still pretty large. I get really frustrated with the number of actions these days that throw brass into the windage knob.

Bb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

Rifles ONLY shoot loose and NEVER tight. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Only within the safety net of barbed wire strands,are all things "equal" and without failure. Reality ain't as forgiving and having 100's of scopes,under actual Real World use,do set trends. Ring spacing and increased surface area,are scopes(ALL scopes) best friend. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

'Horn rings steal the fhuqking show and nothing else begins to come even close,for protecting scope internals and maximizing same. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

It's been (2) days since I've mounted a NIB rifle and NIB scope with same. Nice to throw a total of 60MOA inclination,into the equation. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

To yield a 200yd zero with 147 Smooches,required a 3.4 Mil correction,from bottom of total erector travel. Windage was Skookum and untouched. NOTHING grips and centers a tube,like 'Horns. Hint.

I'm thinking there's Fresh Glass in a coupla parcels,which arrived in yesterday's Mail. Hint.

Film at 11:00...fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Rifles ONLY shoot loose and NEVER tight.

Would you expound upon that please ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Actual use and the culmination of actual Trigger Time,have an acute way of shaking schit loose(fasteners). That whether action fasteners and/or optics fasteners,none of which "bolsters" performance. Barbed Wire Safe Queen Schit,is more than a touch forgiving,due the opposite reason(s). Hint.

CORRECT initial assembly,is THE lifeguard and insured by wares that will actually take a fhuqking lick,do a ruggedly reliable system make. Hint.

Few could begin to fhuqking fathom the magnitude. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ok , I see what you mean.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pavementends
So let me get this straight, Ring manufactures set torque values to prevent stripping the screws in their rings, scope manufactures set the torque value to prevent crushing the scope tube. Am I missing something or is this just a slow day for conflict?
The conflict comes in when manufacturers build their scope tubes out of toilet paper rolls, then blame the consumer when there's a scope problem. AKA Athlon and Leupold.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JGRaider
All mouth, no cattle.
This is rich coming from a Texan who posts photos of someone else's trophy room.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My short experience with the Aries etr 4.5-30 x56 is positive might be the Butterbean of rifle scopes big and heavy But it gets the job done everytime , never sighted a rifle In So easy fired a shot used the the hash marks to count the Mils fired a second shot then fired two more to confirm and was done … bloody awesome

Last edited by 35sambar; 07/16/23.

MUD
Over
BLOOD
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

Your statement is absolutely true. And I think your idea is a GREAT one!

Page 14 of 21 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (10gaugemag, 348srfun, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 36 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,048
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.