Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Labrador,but if the watch-dog/protection requirement is important,get a Chessie…

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Being in the MS delta, flooded timber country I have had my share of solid Labrador Retrievers, mainly of British stock. Great home companions and working dogs labs are.

A few years ago my daughter begged us for a Golden Retriever, why I have never known. I was hesitant at first but I set out to find a true field bred golden from trial and hunting stock. I ended up buying a male from up in Wisconsin and sending him to my trainer for the better part of a year. He turned out to be one of the best dogs we have ever owned. Not only is he a beautiful red coated golden, he has a GREAT nose, solid drive, a strong desire to please, and fantastic house manners. Everything he does, he does with style and swagger. Truth told, he probably belongs in the upland woods the way he works naturally.

Show Goldens and true field Goldens are not the same...

Last edited by CBB15; 07/09/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had both. The longer coat on a Golden can be a chore getting burs out etc.

I favor labs. My yellow lab in my avatar is the best dog I have ever shared my home with.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We have Goldens, my family has raised and bred Goldens since just after WWII.

All Goldens aren't created equal, as they've basically broken down into:

Show/Confirmation dogs, big hairy, light colored, don't even meet the AKS breed standards in size, color etc. Generally lack drive.
Backyard breeders, who knows what you're going to get.
Field/trial dogs.

We do the latter. The ones we currently own (3) have multiple titles in hunt tests, tracking, agility and obedience all due to my wife's training ability. The biggest difference we see between labs is the tolerance for repetition. Labs are better at putting up with it, whereas sooner of later the golden will shut down. Other than that, get a good puppy from a proven line (AKC registration means chit) look at the pedigree and the titles the parents have along with health certs, and both breeds will work for you. Purely waterfowl, I'd lean towards a lab, but add upland and I think the Golden has a slight edge in the nose department.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Strictly watchdog, I'd pick another breed. Goldens are somewhat "kennel brave" which is a response to being cornered, but speak kindly and pet them, chances are good they'll help a burglar carry your chit out of the house.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 07/09/23.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Shoot the one in the middle.

Paulie

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lab.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’ve had both and love both. Find a good breeder that produces what you are looking for and go from there. Both will sound the alarm when something is going on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
Can anyone with experience comment on pros and cons? May consider getting one for companionship & watchdog duties.

Thanks
Not a better dog on this planet for companionship than a golden retriever. Juat prepare yourself. Youll get attached like its your damn kid or something

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
In standard Campfire form; Chesapeake.
^This

I've had 2 and wouldn't consider any other retriever.

Keen sight, great swimmers, bold, great heart and strength. Great family dogs when well bred. Smartest dogs I've seen.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the best dogs I've had was a Golden/Yellow Lab mix.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best watchdog I ever had was a lab, although the German shepherd was more intimidating. But we use our dogs mainly for bird hunting. Between me and my son, our dogs got over 600 retrieves last year. It's been a long time since I've seen a golden do much more than turn dog food into dog turds.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I grew up with a golden retriever as my best friend and partner in crime. I’ve since owned labs, a GSP and an English Field Cocker and they’re all awesome. My GSP (Kodiak) is the most loving and needy goofball, my English Field Cocker “Sky” was the most faithful and intelligent animal I’ve ever been around while my labs have been my constant companion.

You won’t go wrong with either Golden retrievers or Labrador Retrievers…choose one and they’ll capture your heart faster than you can imagine. They’re both the best and they’ll both be everything you want if you raise them right and treat them fairly. Goldens and labs don’t require a heavy hand and thrive when showered with love. I’ve seen guys ruin a great dog because their frustrations and lack of control lead them to discipline their dogs with too heavy a hand which breaks my heart. Seeing a loving and faithful friend cower when you reach to pet it is an indication to me that the owner has no business having the privilege of owning a dog.

I’ll never be without a good dog by my side or laying at my feet. I can be in a foul mood, mad at the world and my lab Kenai will sit by me while I pet her and I can feel my anger begin to melt. After a long day afield and after we both get cleaned up sitting with my lab in the evening by the fireplace reading a book or watching football with her by my side I don’t think anything feels more “right” in this world than that simple pleasure. I’d be lost without a good dog and the little things that make life enjoyable wouldn’t be as significant without a dog. I can go from being in a terrible mood to laughing hysterically at my dogs…..every dog I’ve had over the past 52 years has enriched my life more than I could ever imagine and every dog I’ve had has been as good as the last dog. I’ve never had one that suffered health issues nor have I had a dog that had personality issues. Everyone has lived a long full life and everyone has been without personality defects nor have they been neurotic or stressed, ie fireworks, kids, etc have always been embraced by my dogs…. I attribute their lack of neurosis to our simple and consistent expectations and not feeding or creating an issue by exhibiting and modeling our own neurosis for the dog. Crazy neurotic people produce annoying, barking, uncontrollable neurotic dogs.

Well said.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
See my sig line below. We currently have 3.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had both and truthfully, it is a tossup which one is best - I love both breeds, but my personal choice is a Lab. As Sakoluvr stated, getting the burrs and crap out of the coat of a Golden can be a Bitch at times, but my wife loves their softer coat. As has been stated multiple times here, go to a reputable breeder with a good reputation of producing quality dogs - it will cost you more but the quality and intelligence of the dog you receive is more than worth it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bbassi
See my sig line below. We currently have 3.

That's almost a herd!

Thanks for the replies, gents.

The long hair maintenance thing would be a deal breaker for me. Maybe a lab mix is the way to go? If so, mixed with what? Sorry for my ignorance, I've never had a dog before.

- Rogue
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had 4 goldens and 1 currently. My last one and current one I do/did not hunt. Of the previous 3, 2 were pet/show dogs stock and one field bred and they all were good hunters, but I brought them up that way. Still they need the nose and the bird drive.
They'll bark if someone comes to the house but once they're in, they'll help them carry your stuff out. The reason I didn't hunt the 2 was I had an English setter I hunted when I got the next golden and a pointing breed was a better fit for what I do. So my current one is a pet/house dog and he just got a buddy (pointing breed) that will be my hunter.
But IMO goldens are great dogs and if I was going to for sure hunt one, I'd look for a field bred. Think I just got lucky with the other 2, but the breed should have some hunting instinct regardless.
Labs are great, but again popularity resulting in indiscriminate and poor breeding has ruined them, so selecting a lab breeder from a hunting line and a healthy one is job 1. Cancer is up across the board, all mine went from it, but retriever breeds (and others) are prone.
Best of luck searching.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,860
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.