-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Doc" (B-29) just flew over my place while i was watering my mater's... almost low enough to wave to them... They've got the aluminum polished to the nines... big thunder...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DMc
Anyone on the Fire ever build an experimental airplane??

I know many were produced in kit form. I'd like to build this one...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I have not but if I did - I could like a KitFox set up for backcountry work. I used to work with a guy who built his own. Neat rig but he liked building it more than flying it - seems like.

Me

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've known two people that built their own planes...

First was a very good friends dad who was a veterinarian. He was killed on his first flight.

Another friend's dad had the fuselage and wings almost complete, then divorced and was forced to move out of the garage/shop. No clue if he ever finished it.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went every year from 87 to 96. Hope to make it back again.

Do you have a hotel room? You don't just drop in and get one. Once you get one you like, you make reservations for next year before you leave, at least that was the system back when. It took a few years of reserving early to get a room in Oshkosh.

We had a cane chair we bought at the show. Three folding legs, cane handle, it was handy. That was when I was young. I'm older and I can't be on my feet all day.

Record the position of your vehicle. You have no idea how vast the parking is.

Make sure you have extra batteries for your camera and memory cards with space if you are into taking pictures.

The seminars on building are fantastic.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you are flying in, put locking tags on your gas cap.
My brother is convinced he lost fuel last year when he attended.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
"Doc" (B-29) just flew over my place while i was watering my mater's... almost low enough to wave to them... They've got the aluminum polished to the nines... big thunder...
Not so far over my place either. Closest flyover I've had was a B-17 out on Shady Lane while I was riding my old blue Trek 360. It might have been 150' off the deck at most. I'm pretty sure that's the definition of a code 42.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by trplem
Not so far over my place either. Closest flyover I've had was a B-17 out on Shady Lane while I was riding my old blue Trek 360. It might have been 150' off the deck at most. I'm pretty sure that's the definition of a code 42.

Now imagine yourself being in Germany in 1943 and having hundreds of them flying overhead

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by cv540

Now imagine yourself being in Germany in 1943 and having hundreds of them flying overhead
Nah, I'd rather not do that. Had an Uncle and a best friend's Granddad that could speak as to how it was to look through a Norden, though.

KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Szumi

Do you have a hotel room? You don't just drop in and get one. Once you get one you like, you make reservations for next year before you leave, at least that was the system back when. It took a few years of reserving early to get a room in Oshkosh.

We had a cane chair we bought at the show. Three folding legs, cane handle, it was handy. That was when I was young. I'm older and I can't be on my feet all day.

Make sure you have extra batteries for your camera and memory cards with space if you are into taking pictures.

yea, a little late to the game but got a hotel room about 20 minutes away

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have a great time. Always have wanted to go. It’s reputation is solid. Never met anyone who went that didn’t love it.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B3

P
P
Been probably 20 years since I’ve been. My grandmother used to do interpretation work for the Germans. Always had free passes because of that. Looks as tho the airport has doubled since I was last there. Gonna be hot! Lots of fluids.

KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
yea looking forward to it.

gonna do my best to bypass Chicago going there and back

Last edited by KFWA; 07/24/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
yea looking forward to it.

gonna do my best to bypass Chicago going there and back

Do Not take 94 downtown, the 294 bypass isn’t bad.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Szumi

yea, a little late to the game but got a hotel room about 20 minutes away
North or south? If North, hit the Scheels, Woodman's for groceries and booze, Fleet/Farm to see a man's mall, and Fratello's down in the flats for excellent food and views. If south, Widmer's cheese is quite good, especially the farmer's mild brick. Fondle-acks lighthouse park is also a nice spot down that way.

KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
North

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody going please take some pics of these two warbirds that just got out of the restoration shop - the P-47D Bonnie (the only Republic-built razorback flying) and the P-51C Thunderbird racer (blue and yellow livery):

https://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/warbird-highlights-at-airventure-2023.html

PRESS RELEASE

A variety of rare and iconic warbirds, along with new restorations, are expected next week at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2023.

Dakota Territory Air Museum’s P-47D Bonnie, which was recently restored by Aircorps Aviation, is expected to travel to Oshkosh and will be the first Thunderbolt to attend AirVenture in a number of years. Bonnie is believed to be the only flying Republic-built razorback P-47 in the world. DTAM is also expected to bring its recently restored P-51C Thunderbird, which is one of the more recognizable post-war Mustangs, having won the 1949 Bendix Trophy race in which pilot Joe DeBona set a piston-powered speed record of 470 mph.

Additionally, 10-12 Corsairs are anticipated to attend as part of the AirVenture 2023 Corsair gathering, and a number of Vietnam War-era aircraft are also expected to be in attendance, representing aircraft types such as the A-4, A-1, AC-47, C-123, O-2, L-19, Cobra, Chinook, Huey, and Loach.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
North
Yez hit the good bit of ne wi,then. Seriously, between the BIG PX that is Appleton, the Wiouwash trail between Hortonville and Oshkosh for walkers and cyclists, Union-Star cheese curds, and the big green that is lake Winnebago, you'll have a great time. The bombardier uncle I mentioned earlier lived in Toledo most of his life except for visits to America's Dairyland-he was a big fan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
about a dozen yrs back we rented a workshop just behind the airport Shell station at Wisconsin ave & CB... it was directly under the glide path approach for the north/south runway... when the B-17 would land we would step out of the overhead door and the person in the nose cone would usually wave at us... you could literally see the whites of their eyes... with all the planes that land there every day it started keepin me up at night... what if a plane had a problem on approach?... our shop is now a few miles due west of the airport on Hwy 96...

Last edited by 7mm_Loco; 07/25/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The B-17 "Yankee Lady" arrived in Appleton yesterday... i watched it land about 6 pm and taxi in at the Air Wisconsin hanger... the ground crew cleaned her up a bit, topped off the oil & put her to bed for the night... Bomber rides tomorrow/today...

Last edited by 7mm_Loco; 07/25/23.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 22250rem, 1badf350, 204guy, 60 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,003
Posts18,500,053
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.