Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Trust that your day is going well.

Working on another build concept: that of a medium-medium with in the .366-.375 range. This would be a thumper, but less recoil than a .375HH or Ruger variant and at least one round more capacity than either. I'd be quite happy with MV anywhere between 2300 and 2600FPS (plus or minus) with a suitable bullet.

I've narrowed the chambering down to 9.3x62 or a variant of .375 Whelen (regular, AI, etc.), and would get JES to do a rebore on something else I owned on a modern long action. Not interested in other options beside these two.

The style would be mannlicher (stuetzen) stock, bolt action, with iron sights and detachable low power scope, a 2 1/2x or so. Blind magazine (for portability and weight, no protruding magazine). Barrel length probably something between 17-20 inches. Likely shots would range to 100 yds or so.

Application would be Northern New England Moose and black bear. Scrambling around the mountains and deep (probably snowy) woods, so something on the lighter side weight-wise. Another possible application - although a stretch - would be to strap to my back as potential defense for bears while salmon fishing in Alaska. Not much bothered by recoil, so it can be as light as possible.

Understanding that these two chamberings are quite close, and either will do the job handily, I'm interested in your opinions with respect to these two. And value first hand experience shared.

Mebbe splitting hairs, but this IS the fire, so lob the question out there.

Thanks in advance!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just a thought but a 404-375 wildcat has always intrigued me so I'd thought I throw that in the mix. It's just a standard 375 H&H case (not improved) necked up to .423 caliber. It's what I always thought the 400 H&H should've been. Easy feeding and extracting, a 400g bullet at 2150 fps super easy to attain, can probably get up to 2400 fps but why? Once again just a thought.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here is a whole thread about this matter on AR a few years ago.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6521043/m/660101779/p/1

The way life should be.
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks but I want to keep this between .366 and .375, for reasons stated, with the magazine capacity of a non-"magnum" chambering, whether belted or otherwise.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My experience only: You can only get these results from RL-17, NOT RL-15!. My 9.3 x 62 is a Tikka T3 Lite with a 22.44" barrel, and limits COL to 3.37" due to the magazine clip. A long action will allow a longer COL. From the initial use of RL-15, MV was limited to a max of ~2460 fps from the 286 Hornady in winter climes (Central Ontario). And that was too "hot" for warmer weather. On the suggestion of a friend, I bought a 1 lb bottle of RL-17 (that I never knew existed) and have never looked back for the past dozen years! It is compressed to about 108% load density, being on the "slow" side for its capacity and bore size. That's 70 grains in Hornady cases and 68 in Lapua cases. Both give +2600 fps from the 286gr Partition and +2700 fps from the 250gr AB. I use WLRM primers for consistent ignition summer and winter. PSI is ~64,000 based on Quick Load, and from lots of experience with high intensity magnums from 7mm to .458, I'd say that's in the ball park from all pressure signs. The same rifle has been, and is chambered for the .338 Win Mag, which is SAAMI'd at 64,000. I've never had a problem, and have shot several bears with it.

The 250 AB is super accurate at sub- 1/2 MOA. Shot a bear with that load too. Massive trail of blood for 20 yds to dead bear.

Have yet to try a 300gr, but the 320gr Woodleigh PP over RL-17 has made up to 2500 fps with NO evidence of excessive pressure, but the accuracy node was at 2425 fps. The 286 Partition has always shot MOA or better at +2600 fps.

My rifle ready with scope and ammo weighs 7.75 lbs (Scope is a 3 - 9 x 40 Bushnell Elite).

From a 20" tube, I'd expect about 100 fps less than I'm getting from the same loads.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 07/28/23.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sorry buddy I was intending to post on another thread. Not thread drift but brain freeze! My bad!

The way life should be.
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
No worries Blue. I'm up in the NEK of Vermont today, so prolly quite close to you as the crow flies. I'll guess that you understand firsthand the kind of country and situations that frame my specs for this build.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I can’t help but suggesting the .375. I think that you should have a larger selection of bullet styles and weights!

Plus, I have an unabashed infatuation with the .375’s! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/28/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The practical options would be a 9.3x62 or maybe even a 9.3x66 - it still gives the extra cartridge in the mag and a bit more room for powder.

However some wildcatters go a step further and instead of using an improved 30/06 case use the 9.3x62 necked up to 375. You could similarly neck up the 9.3x66 case to 375. Since a lot of 375 pills have a relatively short ogive, either would make some sense.

I believe the 375 Hawk Scovill was originally based on the 9.3x62 case necked up to 375.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My path was a CZ 550 FS .Shooting sum bitch but my favorite is my 9.3x62 built on a commercial FN action

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
9.3x62 all the way. I've shot quite a few deer with mine and it is massively efficient.

The way life should be.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Find an old Winchester 1895 in 30-40 krag and have JES rebore it to 9.3X62. That is a pretty handy brush gun.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've owned several rifles chambered for 375 H&H, 9.3 x 62 and 9.3 x 74.

A variant that I like is the 376 Steyr, (375 Caliber)

Mine is in a Steyr Pro Hunter with a 20" barrel.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

MOH (Minute of Hoglet) @ 200 yds........

It is about 2" high at 100 yds

I usually go heavy for caliber but in this instance I decided to use the 235 Gr. TSX

It seems to thump accordingly.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have the .375-06 RCBS variant. It is very versatile! My diminutive wife (5', 125lb) shoots it with iron sights quite well out to 200 yards off of the bench.

I've loaded everything from the Missouri Bullet Co. #1 Ballard coated bullet, 245gr, sized .379", to Sierra 300 JSP Spitzers. It really shines with Speer 235gr JSP and IMR4064.
I have two custom molds for it but haven't dropped the first bullet from them. Too little time, too many projects.

I wish you the best in your search!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d guess if you’re going to Africa the 9.3x62 would be the choice.

I chose the 375 Whelen AI.

The 375 Whelen AI was my choice because of several reasons.
1. The reamer and the dies were available.
2. The cases might last longer??
3. I have 375 jacketed bullets and 375 molds and I have a 375 H&H AI and had a 375 H&H.
4. The cases can be formed easily from 30-06 or 35 Whelen brass.

I didn’t need to have another size caliber bullets on the shelf. For me there were no pluses for the 9.3x62.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
You wanna buy ammo over there ? 9.3 wins hands down.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
OK, to be fair, I haven't read in depth each above post, needing to admit. But I believe it's unfair of precept to compare a factory load of historic dimensions, with a "custom improved" round even as a highly successful one; much less a relatively "unknown". Perhaps too wrapped around the axle of victory of 'data' over rea world practicality! Many folks don't handload or wish to and market proportionately narrowed if "investment" plays any role. I'd not build the proposed rifle for such reason where 9.3x62 is a serious contender derailed.

I'd also not build a blind magazine where the project sounding to be a nifty rifle in the offing, "but for..." Such the fact that nifty bolt rifles are customarily defined in hinged magazines. Whether called out to defend you blind magazine choice or the viewer silently wondering... The fact of dollars "end product value" as the term "custom of quality" inferring the 'bomb bay' defined magazine capability. The trigger guard necessary, the "weight savings" defined as miniscule difference between wood and metal orifice coverings. Such difference in material weight as being "immaterial"! Where it 'might make some sense, of the 'plastic stocks', by any other term, as "utility' realization of plunked down on surfaces where such as rock or 'other' may quickly impact the finish of such as a floorplate. 'That' "utility consequence" I do fully understand. Short of such, "custom" to my mind bas the "hinged feature... In steel!

The difference in objective value as likely achieving "being material!"

Just my take
Good luck!
John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would go with the 9.3x62 over a virtually identical wildcat. Super accurate and thrives in carbine barrels.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 08/02/23.
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by iskra
OK, to be fair, I haven't read in depth each above post, needing to admit. But I believe it's unfair of precept to compare a factory load of historic dimensions, with a "custom improved" round even as a highly successful one; much less a relatively "unknown". Perhaps too wrapped around the axle of victory of 'data' over rea world practicality! Many folks don't handload or wish to and market proportionately narrowed if "investment" plays any role. I'd not build the proposed rifle for such reason where 9.3x62 is a serious contender derailed.

I'd also not build a blind magazine where the project sounding to be a nifty rifle in the offing, "but for..." Such the fact that nifty bolt rifles are customarily defined in hinged magazines. Whether called out to defend you blind magazine choice or the viewer silently wondering... The fact of dollars "end product value" as the term "custom of quality" inferring the 'bomb bay' defined magazine capability. The trigger guard necessary, the "weight savings" defined as miniscule difference between wood and metal orifice coverings. Such difference in material weight as being "immaterial"! Where it 'might make some sense, of the 'plastic stocks', by any other term, as "utility' realization of plunked down on surfaces where such as rock or 'other' may quickly impact the finish of such as a floorplate. 'That' "utility consequence" I do fully understand. Short of such, "custom" to my mind bas the "hinged feature... In steel!

The difference in objective value as likely achieving "being material!"

Just my take
Good luck!
John

Comment appreciated. "Investment" is not a factor as I do not plan on reselling. This would strictly be a user.

As to hinged vs blind magazine the key discriminator (until your post) between the two has been safety vs convention.

I have little interest in a hinged magazine popping open and dumping rounds on the ground in a moment of terror, haste or clumsiness (none of which I confess to being immune to). Preferring instead the most rudimentary of controls and moving parts. Utter reliability is paramount, IME in causal relationship to simplicity. I'm one lf those guys that prefers to wind up the windows on their vehicle by hand.

But you raise another factor: raising a possible misapprehension in the proposed design in the difference in magazine capacity between blind and hinged, all other factors being equal. My preference would be more down, with no protrusions in front of the trigger guard to displace carry-ability. So am all ears on this.

I suppose a better mousetrap in a hinged magazine than say a Remington BDL version (which I have popped open inadvertently) is not ruled out.

Thanks in advance.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I am late to this party and your decision has likely been made.
I also would go with the long proven performance and overall availability of the 9.3x62.
You can easily purchase factory ammunition and components in many areas of the world and there is minuscule difference in performance.
I have had several different 9.3x62s put together and considering another.
My current one is a rebored MarkX with a nice custom walnut stock.
I am considering another rebore on a model 70 Winchester I have in a synthetic stock. With the addition of iron sights, it would make a nice do everything rifle.
Best of luck with your build. Keep us updated and pics would be great.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 280shooter, 257_X_50, 260Remguy, 22 invisible), 1,628 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,122
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.