Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
I took a 3x4 Mule deer buck 20 years ago with a borrowed .22-250 shooting 55 grain Sierra Gamekings after discovering a scope issue resulting in a miss with my .300 Savage.

The little 55 grain bullet was planted behind the shoulder into the lungs at 200 yards and dropped the buck right away.

My Dad has shot lots of deer and some feral hogs with his .22-250 over the years.

For some reason I would like to use my .220 Swift to take a deer or antelope at some point.

I have seen lots of deer taken with .224’s and largely they kill as well as the .243 or .250-3000 in my experience. I have seen a handful of flub-ups but I believe these were largely due to improper bullet selection and improper shot placement.

I tend to eschew plastic tipped bullets for deer in .224 caliber. They are designed for varmints and coyotes.

A sierra gameking, nosler partition or accubond, even one of the monometal bullets are what you want.
Those 55 grain Gamekings are a fine deer bullet from a 223 or 22-250. We probably tried em in a 222 or Swift but I don't recall.

I bought some .224 62 grain Sierra Gamekings and they shoot great out of my 1-12” twist .220 Swift. Am thinking that will be my hunting bullet for whatever I shoot with it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Not yet, but it’s on the list. I have a bunch of Nosler 64gr bonded, maybe some TTSXs I can load. Would also consider Gold Dots. Very little doubt about the outcome on deer. A bear would make me think about it some…

You'll be impressed by the terminal performance of the 64 NBB. It's grenade like, but penetrates well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
22 centerfires recoil mildly enough that you never lose the picture of the animal. The mild recoil affords plenty of bench time. People shoot 22 centerfires better than they shoot harder recoiling chamberings. Bullets are nominally less expensive, and when it comes to 223 brass, it is widely available and cheap. Once you have done post-mortem on enough deer shot with 22 centerfires, you realize the damage to the vitals is indistinguishable from the damage imparted by much larger centerfires. Given all that, the question isn't why, it becomes why not?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Two different cal. bullets of same construction moving the same speed, bigger and heavier is going to do more damage. The question is, is it needed.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've killed one each with .221 Fireball and .225 Win with X Bullets (45 and 53gr), for what it's worth, no issues. The last deer I killed was with a 55gr Fusion out of a .22-250. It did not exit, but resulted in a picture book mushroom.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Federal Fusions in my experience are one of the better factory cup n core bullets out there. It is no surprise that yours did so well!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
Federal Fusions in my experience are one of the better factory cup n core bullets out there. It is no surprise that yours did so well!
Sort of cup n core.

It's a bonded bullet.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I've killed one each with .221 Fireball and .225 Win with X Bullets (45 and 53gr), for what it's worth, no issues. The last deer I killed was with a 55gr Fusion out of a .22-250. It did not exit, but resulted in a picture book mushroom.

If you have the twist and can find some, try the 75 gr Gold Dots. They’re made the same as fusions and penetrate deep. I haven’t caught a 75 yet.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LBP

If you have the twist and can find some, try the 75 gr Gold Dots. They’re made the same as fusions and penetrate deep. I haven’t caught a 75 yet.

It's a Savage 99 with 1/14 so doubt it would handle it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i only have one doe that i killed with a 22-250AI (1 in 8" i believe) with a 75gr A max and i forget what powder. it was only 30ish yards and it was a headshot. basically why i did it is i told myself, "myself, why don't i use the 22-250AI to take deer?" so i did. am i going to do it again? no. i'm not against the 22, but it is just not me.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

IC B3

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Some of you brought up something interesting, and something I tend to overlook. That is hard angle shots. My biggest buck ever was taken on the last day of season at noon. Not that big for some of you guys (130), but pretty big for where I hunt.
It was pretty thick, and hard to see. I had actually shot at him and missed, but the group of does he was with did not know where I was, so they cautiously eased out of the bottom I was in. I saw the lead doe cross an opening at 80 yards where they were going up over the ridge, so I got my gun on that spot. The buck was last, and as he crossed the opening squeezed the trigger. He was quartering hard away.
Went up to where I shot, and there he lay, 40 yards from the shot. He was quartered so hard that the entryways right in front of the ham, and exit in front of the shoulder. I was using a 260 with 140 accubonds. Not sure what would have come of that deer with a 22 caliber rifle.
I think for myself I may be more comfortable with something slightly larger

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeyvod, I agree with you there. I've said it before, but our hunting here might give a guy 2-3 opportunities on shooter-grade bucks throughout the entire season and there may not be a perfect broadside scenario involved. Considering the amount of effort and time associated with my hunting, I'm not keen on blowing an opportunity or having to pass because I brought the wrong rifle. I'll certainly carry a .22 centerfire for "targets of opportunity" and I enjoy using the smaller rifles to take does and pigs, but I usually want a .257 caliber or larger centerfire in my hands for my general purpose deer hunting, which often takes place near some pretty heavy cover.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Jeyvod, i agree with you too, or three.

the average size deer for me is 150lbs, altho they can get up to 250lbs or bigger. i shot a doe that weighed 263 lbs. most of my shot at 30-40 yards, but over 300 yards, i shot deer that i could count on one hand and have fingers left over. i hunt for meat, but shooter grade bucks are in my preview. most of my hunting area, it is lucky to get a 60ish yards shot on deer. you can see deer or pieces of deer. i shot an 8pt at 12 feet in the shoulder, because of the brush around the deer and me. i tried to my shot behind the shoulder or in the neck, but it was thwarted by brush. if i were doing that with a 22CF, i wouldn't touch the trigger. i used a Ruger #1 in 270 Win with 130gr Nosler BT and IMR4320 going roughly 3000fps+. that's another story on why i use cast bullets on deer.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
22 Creed 90gr A-tip has been a deadly combination for me. Most drt, a few managed to move 10-12 yds

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by LBP

It's a Savage 99 with 1/14 so doubt it would handle it.

1-14” twist, 22-250, you need some 63 gr Sierra SMP’s.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Some of you brought up something interesting, and something I tend to overlook. That is hard angle shots. My biggest buck ever was taken on the last day of season at noon. Not that big for some of you guys (130), but pretty big for where I hunt.
It was pretty thick, and hard to see. I had actually shot at him and missed, but the group of does he was with did not know where I was, so they cautiously eased out of the bottom I was in. I saw the lead doe cross an opening at 80 yards where they were going up over the ridge, so I got my gun on that spot. The buck was last, and as he crossed the opening squeezed the trigger. He was quartering hard away.
Went up to where I shot, and there he lay, 40 yards from the shot. He was quartered so hard that the entryways right in front of the ham, and exit in front of the shoulder. I was using a 260 with 140 accubonds. Not sure what would have come of that deer with a 22 caliber rifle.
I think for myself I may be more comfortable with something slightly larger
I have a doe antelope tag and the season doesn't start until the end of Oct. By that time, the antelope will be well herded up for the winter. With my 22-250, the trick won't be to avoid a hard angle shot but rather to find a broadside without several more behind it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tdoyka
Jeyvod, i agree with you too, or three.

the average size deer for me is 150lbs, altho they can get up to 250lbs or bigger. i shot a doe that weighed 263 lbs. most of my shot at 30-40 yards, but over 300 yards, i shot deer that i could count on one hand and have fingers left over. i hunt for meat, but shooter grade bucks are in my preview. most of my hunting area, it is lucky to get a 60ish yards shot on deer. you can see deer or pieces of deer. i shot an 8pt at 12 feet in the shoulder, because of the brush around the deer and me. i tried to my shot behind the shoulder or in the neck, but it was thwarted by brush. if i were doing that with a 22CF, i wouldn't touch the trigger. i used a Ruger #1 in 270 Win with 130gr Nosler BT and IMR4320 going roughly 3000fps+. that's another story on why i use cast bullets on deer.

A263lb DOE.
LMFAO... I think you meant 163...

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 08/07/23.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Does anyone use the Speer 70 gr. that is kind of like a round nose? I think those would be real good, and they are reasonably priced.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ihookem
Does anyone use the Speer 70 gr. that is kind of like a round nose? I think those would be real good, and they are reasonably priced.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-grn-speer-semi-pointed-spitzer-for-deer

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Hornady Steel Match 75 gr BTHP worked on these hogs via my HBAR.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 14idaho, 2500HD, 16penny, 36 invisible), 1,976 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,115
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.