Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow....$100k for a $50k boat that really isn't worth $30k. Makes sense

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Parents first off must fill that role. Most of todays parents do not do that. We had business classes in HS where we learned to balance a checkbook and read Stock Reports.
Kids don't have anyone to teach them economic sense and have them understand debt is slavery and that there are all kinds of vultures out there that are willing to financially enslave you and pick your carcass clean.

Half the parents are broke because of credit cards and foolish crap like this 20 year boat loan, so they are not good examples. School teachers can't teach it because most of them have abysmal credit. If you want some really bad advice go to a professional counselor.

My mother in law worked at the local mental health clinic and most of those highly educated folks were broke as the ten commandments. And overspending is a mental problem.

One thing my father advised me when I got married was that if I could keep from having money trouble I would have a lot less other trouble. An old great uncle worth a million (8th grade education) told me to never take advice from someone who is not successful.

There are 2 kinds of people in the world, those that pay interest and those that collect interest.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hastings
There are 2 kinds of people in the world, those that pay interest and those that collect interest.

Worth quoting.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Worth quoting.

Yeah but........

Ya gotta watch for those advisors he mentions.

They advise paying and collecting interest.
A game that sounds good, and works good, until it don't.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by RUM7
I only buy new things if they make me money.
My kids have just as much fun on our 20 yr old ski boat.
Paid cash from an old friend of the family. Same with my travel trailer. I don't feel the need to keep up with the Jones. I absolutely hate monthly payments!

Outlr school systems really need a mandatory class on balancing a budget and how credit works for or against you. Parents obviously aren't teaching it.

They used to have those classes in HS, evidently they didn't want people to vote Republican anymore when they dropped them.

Who needs to be taught to earn money if you are going to buy something?

Who needs to be taught to not spend more money than they have?

Only an idiot can’t see simple economics!

Parents first off must fill that role. Most of todays parents do not do that. We had business classes in HS where we learned to balance a checkbook and read Stock Reports.

Besides the old lady that takes forever to write a check for groceries who the he!! still has a check book?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Worth quoting.

Balance. Nothing wrong with paying some interest if you are living an enjoyable and fulfilling lifestyle.

Don’t be the guy who decides to start living after you retire. It takes decades to become proficient in the outdoors and of you want your grandkids to go with you, you better be good at it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Worth quoting.

Yeah, heard that before. My version is “There’s 2 kinds of people in the world. Those that believe there’s 2 kinds of people in the world and those that don’t.”

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pal
It's pretty silly to buy a brand new boat when it's so easy to find one that's barely been used for a fraction of new cost. But I have done it when I was young and dumb. Also silly to buy a toy you cannot afford and so must pay interest also.

Spent about half my 80 years living on boats. My present boat, a 43' twin diesel, I bought used for cash (less than that 19') and it will be my home, as have been other boats in the past. It's somewhat easier to rationalize the cost if you live aboard. Though it is not for everyone.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's what I'm planning. Looking at a used 41 foot twin diesel with aft cabin and only 600 hours on the engines for less than the cost of a new F-150.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's 2 kinds of people in the world. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Calvin
Balance. Nothing wrong with paying some interest if you are living an enjoyable and fulfilling lifestyle.

Don’t be the guy who decides to start living after you retire. It takes decades to become proficient in the outdoors and of you want your grandkids to go with you, you better be good at it.

Agree with everything you’ve said in this thread. 100%

As far as interests and hobbies, the one constant for me is being on the water. Some of my best memories with my parents, my kids, and maybe grandkids someday.

IC B3

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
A few years back my investment counselor was looking for skiff to do a little fishing. Wife and kids decided to get on board (pun intended), and he ended up with payments on a $75k ski unit that was useless for fishing. He's been divorced for some time now and does little if any fishing.

$75,000 ski boat ?

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
My little brother just bought a Bayliner that's made to surf behind and it was $140,000. He said that's on the cheaper end for that kind of boat.

Bb
If he paid 140 k for a Ballmer I need to sell him some oceanfront property in Arkansas

You're right. I had it wrong. He bought a master craft nxt24 not a bayliner. I don't know much about boats so I had to go back and look at the pic I took of it.

Bb

Thats a damn nice boat. I would have thought more than $140k. I have a similar nautique

Originally Posted by coyotewacker
I've lived on the Great Lakes all my life have bought and sold boats since I was 14 years old over 55 years....made good money mostly before 1984 buying and selling boats....
Around 1984 is when the long boat loans came out 10 years before that loans were 4 years....now you can finance a boat loan for 30 years like a home mortgage....
What this has done to the used boat market is made boats depreciate like a car....back in the 70's and 80's I bought boats in the late summer and fall did a little work on them sold them in the spring and made money on them....now its hard to make a good profit on used boats because they depreciate more and faster especially after the Covid buying ....people now are just not using there boats like they did during Covid and getting tired of them....
I've only ever bought one new boat back in 1982 but have owned many previously owned that were picked up at a good price to be resold....

When I got my nautique I sold a 10 year old chaparral with several hundred hours and some disclosed mechanical issues for roughly what I paid for it. This was spring ‘22

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thats how most people afford boats,campers,atvs

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by srwshooter
How do you know this?

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bust Out Another Thousand.!!!

A boat is a hole in the water into which one pours money. The bigger the boat, the bigger the hole. The longer the term, the more money you will pour.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 19352012
How do you know this?
I know it because I know lots of people. And most of the ones I know that buy new big items even down to a $10,000 or less ATV make payments and pay interest. And a lot of those things put them in a serious bind every month. Bass Pro, Honda, Kubota, John Deere, RV dealers will gladly put you out the door with new equipment and payments. And don't ever believe that "no interest" is no interest. My 40 year old neighbor kid has bought 2 brand new Kubota tractors with no money down and interest free to do custom work with. I told him the interest was figured in and that if he fails to make a payment they will eat him alive. He told me he lost $60K last year.

I've owned 3 new vehicles in my life and two of them were over 45 years ago. I hate the idea of renting money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How do you know this?
I know it because I know lots of people. And most of the ones I know that buy new big items even down to a $10,000 or less ATV make payments and pay interest. And a lot of those things put them in a serious bind every month. Bass Pro, Honda, Kubota, John Deere, RV dealers will gladly put you out the door with new equipment and payments. And don't ever believe that "no interest" is no interest. My 40 year old neighbor kid has bought 2 brand new Kubota tractors with no money down and interest free to do custom work with. I told him the interest was figured in and that if he fails to make a payment they will eat him alive. He told me he lost $60K last year.

I've owned 3 new vehicles in my life and two of them were over 45 years ago. I hate the idea of renting money.
What are their names?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by losttrail60
LoL

No

There’s a pile of checks on our desk we’re taking to the bank and depositing Monday. I deal with digital and analog world daily and not just financial. We do ourselves a great injustice by not being able to go both ways and that includes teaching that to you young folks I know we we do. The world of 1’s and 0’s is very convenient but can be very fragile…. Live accordingly….

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How do you know this?

What are their names?
You think I would put the names of friends and acquaintances that I think are acting foolishly on a public forum? I don't mind telling some of them privately that I don't think their actions are wise or that the arithmetic doesn't work but I am not going to publicly ridicule them. Would you?

And I bet we all know people that can't afford the notes they on stuff they really don't need. ATVs, furniture, motorhomes, boats, zero turn mowers, etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How do you know this?

What are their names?
You think I would put the names of friends and acquaintances that I think are acting foolishly on a public forum? I don't mind telling some of them privately that I don't think their actions are wise or that the arithmetic doesn't work but I am not going to publicly ridicule them. Would you?

And I bet we all know people that can't afford the notes they on stuff they really don't need. ATVs, furniture, motorhomes, boats, zero turn mowers, etc.
Ok, list only their first names.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,403
Posts18,488,921
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.