Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
338Rem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Would like some feedback from the dog men here on the fire. Yellow Lab, female, 2.5 years old, spayed. Last Sunday morning, 3AM dog wakes up and throws up. Liquidy stuff, throws up four more times by 7AM, not huge amounts, again all liquid. Worked in the yard Sat afternoon before all this happened. She was playing with her ball and running around. When she gets bored with that, I have oak trees in my back yard. then she starts chewing small sticks, 3 to 4 inch in size. After throwing up, no appetite. Made some chicken, boiled.she was not interested. Then cooked up hamburger and rice and she ate some of that. Then she stopped eating that, so I cooked up just some hamburger and she ate that and liked it. I have fed her Nutri Source brand dog food for a year and a half. about three weeks ago when I went to pick up another bag the store was out, did not know when they would have any in, they had Purina Pro plan, my sister in law feeds her retriever that brand and is always talking it up, so I picked up a bag and blended it in with the remaining dog food over 10 days. Then went total Pro plan. (Both food flavors were Lamb and rice) Thursday morning (two days ago) I tracked down some Nutri Source lamb and rice food, I started to give her small amounts and she ate it all, no problem. Thursday evening I gave her her normal feeding of the Nutri Source (1 1/2 Cups) she ate is all. Friday morning, same thing. Toward noon she wanted to go out so I took her out, she took a dump that was huge, even Flave would have proud of the size. Normal stool, normal texture and color. Then took her for a walk a couple hours later and she took a smalll dump. Came supper time last night, she had no appetite again. No blood in stool. Last night she threw up two small amounts, brownish, kind of gelatinus. First time she has thrown up since Sunday. Called the vet Tuesday and they said to bring her in if things continue to get worse. Will go to the vet today if she gets worse. She is playing with her toys, barking at the neighbors in the street. Sorry for the long dragged out story, I am baffled. Thank you for any input.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like she might have eaten something that disagreed with her digestive system. Might give her some plain yogurt to settle her stomach.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
A visit to the vet's office seems to be in order.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Could she have possibly found some mouse poison?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Vet appointment.
πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Might be something simple and treated with some meds.
Hope it is only thatπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Check the inside of the dog’s mouth for cuts, sores, bad tooth, fishing lure, anything.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sounds like you did all the right stuff. You can also dose the dog with Pepto Bismol...just scale the dose to the dog's weight. If she's playing etc and eating intermittently, she just got a hold of something that didnt agree with her and it will be temporary.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Labs are kind of notorious for eating stupid shìt and getting sick from it ain't they?

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The vet will take an X-Ray and see what's going on in her digestive tract. Might be something in there that needs out.

In the 1990s, my dog almost died because he chewed off a big chunk of a rubber chew toy and ate it. It plugged up his duodenum. Had to be surgically removed. Thousands of dollars.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My dog ate mushrooms and was sick like you described, vet advised to feed pumpkin pie filling. After a couple days the dog was fine and could go back on regular food. I'm feeding Purina Pro Plan to my 5mos. old Beagle pup right now, mixed it with what the pet store sent him home with 50/50 till going completely on Pro Plan. He's thriving, growing and gaining weight.

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Sorry to hear this as you may have an emergency. If she isn't drinking or eating she needs seen yesterday and checked for possible Addisons Disease. If that's it there is no time to waste.

God bless.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Labs are kind of notorious for eating stupid shìt and getting sick from it ain't they?
Yes indeed they are..
BTDT with Sonya the Corky duck dog lab that never worked out for me as one.
Woulda got suuked down into the whirlpool of duck hunting back then.
Kinda glad it didn't work out...

Sweet Family pet.
Had the retention of a tree stump though.
Most challenge training a dog ever in my life honestly.
Just let her be a family pet, the girls loved her goofball ways and she loved being around them.
Think she had doggy Downes syndrome honestly.
OK Sonya I am gonna teach you to sit again today.
You retained it yesterday and the 100,s of days prior to that.
Brain dump again this morning huh girl??

That dog would eat toys of various types, rocks, roots, loved bee,s in the yard, then doing the hunched up in the middle barfing routine, 10 15 ate up bees in the barf.
Never put it together in her head to stop eating bee,s.
πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€£πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ
Always schitting some clump of something out walking around all hunched up.
🀣🀣πŸ₯΄πŸ₯΄πŸ€£πŸ€£

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you're giving her any rawhide based dog chews/treats ...... STOP. That stuff is so full of preservatives it should be banned. Matter of fact, if you're giving her any kind of dog treats/biscuits stop that for the time being too.

Have you given her a heartworm treatment recently? Sometimes that stuff causes reactions even though it wasn't a problem in the past.

New play toy(s) she is chewing on?

New waterer or dog bowls? The plastics used for things like that is often poor grade and they ingest plastic particles.

A trip to the vet sounds in order.

Keep us posted.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
See if she'll eat a raw egg or two.

Life is good live it while you can.
338Rem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Since I posted this, she has eaten a little bit of shredded cheese (one of her favorite snacks) and a quarter cup of dog food and drank water a couple of times. She also wants to go for a walk. I will give her another quarter cup of dogfood in 15 minutes and see if she eats it.

Thanks for all the input.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
That's good news. Probably rules out Addisons which results in extreme lethargy and rear leg weakness

Last edited by jaguartx; 08/19/23.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
She may have passed whatever was causing the issue.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 338Rem
Since I posted this, she has eaten a little bit of shredded cheese (one of her favorite snacks) and a quarter cup of dog food and drank water a couple of times. She also wants to go for a walk. I will give her another quarter cup of dogfood in 15 minutes and see if she eats it.

Thanks for all the input.

Conrad mentioned this. Labs eat damn near anything. At times they can get stuff hung up in their digestive system. Taking the dog to the vet at this point is the best course of action. For occasional stomach upset, canned pumpkin works wonders.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Although milk/dairy is not toxic per se' to dogs, many dogs have difficulty digesting it: ADULT dogs produce very little lactase which is the enzyme needed to digest lactose. Newborns produce lactase but shortly after weaning their lactase production starts to taper off.

Cut out the dairy for the time being.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Don't feed her anything other then normal dog food and get her to the VET as soon as possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,186 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,779
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.