Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Just finished a Field and Stream Richard Mann article where he stated he will never use a 30-06 because of an obnoxious uncle who incessantly proclaimed the 06 to be the end all, be all. I can't think of a cartridge that I let another person ruin for me. How 'bout y'all?

Only if you let them. Personally, I like them all, including .30-06s, 6.5 Creeds, .270s and 7mms.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Orerancher
Anything chambered in an AR....

Way to lead off. Strong 1st post.

lol

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Orerancher
Anything chambered in an AR....
Fudd

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I always thought of the 243 as a puny cartridge until I watched grandkids slay deer and pigs as well as I did with my magnums. I have a couple now, like them a lot.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have my favorites i load or reload for ,shoot targets and hunt with as do others . but to be honest that dang old 30-06 the older i get the more i see it as a still a great been around a long time old cartridge still getting it done and ammo is available any place in the world. and yes since i was a kid many have told me that too and yes maybe they were right too ???? Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Never been a follower, I will entertain other peoples opinions and then do my own research and make up my mind. I tend not to like changes so I am kind of partial to older cartridges such as 30-06, 300 H&H, 7mm RM, 243, 30-30 and few others and no one can ruin my use or experience with them.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I thought of the 243 as puny until I saw a dozen sets of elk horns hanging on the wall of my buddy's den. He never owned another rifle than his Sako Forrester .243.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by hanco
I always thought of the 243 as a puny cartridge until I watched grandkids slay deer and pigs as well as I did with my magnums. I have a couple now, like them a lot.

it's been going on 30 years since i've touched the 243. i gave my oldest son, after he graduated high school, a Savage Axis in 243. he takes it out coyotes/groundhog hunting. when he goes for deer, it's either a 7 Mauser or my grandpap's (RIP) pump '06.

i ruined myself on the 243, mostly because the 243 didn't drop deer DRT or at 10-40 yards after the shot. it kills deer, 9 or 10 deer agree, but i don't like to track them. my friend (who shoots behind the shoulder) only tracks deer only 20 or 30 yards after the shot. go figure.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Mann’s uncle was right about the 30-06. However, I’ll never own a 6.5 Creedmore. Not because of one person but because hundreds of thousands of man bun wearing ninny’s swear it’s like some cutting edge new technology, surpassing all existing rifle dynamics as we know it.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Due to my background in more general journalism, once I starting to write more for "gun magazines" in the 1990s decided to try to be as objective as possible about various cartridges. This doesn't always work, because like most humans something else always introduces itself. But have tried to be objective--which includes actually shooting, handloading and hunting with various rounds.

One thing that resulted was that the longer I hunt and use more cartridges myself, or witness them in action in the hands of various hunting partners, is how little difference in performance there is between 'em--usually far less than many firmly believe.

Though one thing I did discover about myself is that often when more hunters/shooters badmouth a round, the more I want to try it...if I haven't already.
Amen, just slightly varying shades of grey.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I’m was acquainted with a blowhard who tried his very best to convince me and rest of the world that life would not be complete without a 257 and 300 Weatherby.

He had a reamer for a 300 Wby and I had just gotten my left handed 300 H&H from Remington’s custom shop. I think he was insulted that I didn’t want him to ream the chamber out to 300 Wby. He pushed hard until I finally grumped at him that if I wanted a damn 300 Wby I would have ordered one.

I’ve not had much use for either Weatherby round since though I know both are good.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I don't much care what other people say so the answer is "no."

This but if only I had a penny for everytime I heard stupid sh*t I'd be rich. Then there is the fact I'm almost deaf and that don't bother me as much anymore. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Anytime I see Mr. Mann opine about a cartridge, I usually run the opposite direction.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Despite a small-sample correlation I perceive between .270 win and needle peeners I have known... no. Even lately when contemplating what to get next, .270 win was in there alongside .30-06 and 6.8W. However, I don't see my favored 325 wane its operation window until it's Grendel territory so I went with more variants of 'el favorito'.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep!... Grampa had a 351 Winchester sl... apparently it was the laughing stock at deer camp... then one day he went out barefoot to dispatch a skunk in the yard... he missed, gun jammed, skunk sprayed him, then chased him back to the house... Gramma grabbed a bat and chased him back to the skunk!...

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I started not liking the 30-06 for that reason, now I have a half dozen or so. Then it was the 7mm Remington magnum, now I'm on my second. Then the .243 (I like the .244/6mm Remington), now I have two. I'm a big hypocrite, for the right price I'll shoot anything. I just love to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was Ingwe who really wrecked it for me and the 270 WIN.

. . . Not really. It was Jack O'Connor. I read way too much Outdoor Life as a kid, and 270 Winchester was always going places and shooting at things that I was probably never going to. I lived in a shotgun-only state. Nobody ever wrote about hunting deer with a 12 Gauge. It pissed me off. When I started going to a new barbershop, there were two camps. 30-06 and 270 WIN. I climbed on board the ought-six train, partly because my dad had shot it in the war, but mostly because it wasn't a 270 WIN.

I still don't like it. I buy 270 WIN brass and nock the gay out of it, turning it into 25-06.

On the other hand, I can't explain my unnatural attraction to 35 Whelen. I shot my Whelenizer for over a decade at Kentucky Whitetail. I finally grew tired of all the extra recoil and went back to the ought-six . However, I still keep a loaded 35 Whelen round next to my chair. I find it comforting to hold.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing that resulted was that the longer I hunt and use more cartridges myself, or witness them in action in the hands of various hunting partners, is how little difference in performance there is between 'em--usually far less than many firmly believe.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
It was Ingwe who really wrecked it for me and the 270 WIN.

. . . Not really. It was Jack O'Connor. I read way too much Outdoor Life as a kid, and 270 Winchester was always going places and shooting at things that I was probably never going to. I lived in a shotgun-only state. Nobody ever wrote about hunting deer with a 12 Gauge. It pissed me off. When I started going to a new barbershop, there were two camps. 30-06 and 270 WIN. I climbed on board the ought-six train, partly because my dad had shot it in the war, but mostly because it wasn't a 270 WIN.

I still don't like it. I buy 270 WIN brass and nock the gay out of it, turning it into 25-06.

On the other hand, I can't explain my unnatural attraction to 35 Whelen. I shot my Whelenizer for over a decade at Kentucky Whitetail. I finally grew tired of all the extra recoil and went back to the ought-six . However, I still keep a loaded 35 Whelen round next to my chair. I find it comforting to hold.
That's how I feel about my 458 Lott round. I hated the rifle. It was punishing. But I like that loaded 458 round. John Taylor wrote about an African who carried a 465 Nitro Express round in his pocket as a talisman. I'm not there yet

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was a kid many decades ago, I used to read outdoor magazines & dream of owning certain rifles in various calibers. Over time I never grew out of that so most of the calibers I own would probably be considered "classics". There have been some great cartridges invented in the last 100+ years but I just haven't purchased many of them. Shooting left-handed limits my options as well. Since I do most of my hunting in the southeast for medium-sized game, any centerfire I have in the safe can kill a deer or a hog. If I lived in more wide-opened terrain, some of the more modern long-range rounds that are popular now might be more appealing. I would say that maybe I'm a bit leery of the latest & greatest whiz bang cartridges until I feel some certainty that they won't fade away within a few years of being introduced especially since I don't reload. I enjoy hearing other hunter's opinions about various cartridges. But I buy what I like only to please myself & for reasons that might only make sense to me.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 222ND, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,533
Posts18,530,989
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.