Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
The problem of pain and suffering and injustice in the world is likely one of the biggest problems for a lotta people when it comes to having and maintaining faith in God.

A lotta people have stepped back from God, not necessarily into atheism, but a lotta people have stepped back from God because of their inability to reconcile a good and loving God with the pain and suffering and injustice in the world ~ maybe more so than for any other reason.

''The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.'' - Psalm 145:9

Contradicts;

''Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?" - (Amos 3:6, KJV)

"The Lord shall go forth as a mighty man, He shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: He shall cry, yea roar; He shall prevail against His enemies". - Isaiah 42:13

This version of God is far from being 'good to all,' with no evidence of 'tender mercies all over His works.'

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The problem of pain and suffering and injustice in the world is likely one of the biggest problems for a lotta people when it comes to having and maintaining faith in God.

A lotta people have stepped back from God, not necessarily into atheism, but a lotta people have stepped back from God because of their inability to reconcile a good and loving God with the pain and suffering and injustice in the world ~ maybe more so than for any other reason.

What too many have forgotten, or never understood to begin with, is God's promise is of everlasting life and peace in Heaven, not here on earth.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DBT

''The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.'' - Psalm 145:9

Contradicts;

''Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?" - (Amos 3:6, KJV)

"The Lord shall go forth as a mighty man, He shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: He shall cry, yea roar; He shall prevail against His enemies". - Isaiah 42:13

This version of God is far from being 'good to all,' with no evidence of 'tender mercies all over His works.'

This is the issue with translations. One must take in overall message rather than picking specific verses to build a belief on.

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
But sometimes in the midst of extraordinary pain and suffering and injustice, we often find extraordinary faith in God instead of extraordinary doubt.

Some people leverage pain and suffering and injustice in the world to argue against God; some people leverage pain and suffering and injustice in the world to argue against their personal relationship with God.

Should we maybe proceed with caution when commandeering other people’s pain and suffering and injustice to build our case against God…?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
But sometimes in the midst of extraordinary pain and suffering and injustice, we often find extraordinary faith in God instead of extraordinary doubt.

Blessed is the soul who can navigate pain, suffering, and injustice here on earth with peace in their heart and faith in God. That is the whole thing in a nutshell. We are not promised physical peace here on earth, but faith in God and His promises of the after life will put our heart and mind at peace no matter what physically happens to us here.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

More so, He glorifies himself by carrying us through such experiences as the human race has a history of forgetting Him and glorifying ourselves when everything goes well for a given time.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Blessed is the soul who can navigate pain, suffering, and injustice here on earth with peace in their heart and faith in God. That is the whole thing in a nutshell. We are not promised physical peace here on earth, but faith in God and His promises of the after life will put our heart and mind at peace no matter what physically happens to us here.

Thanks for the edifying words of encouragement. They are what I need. By the way, welcome to the 'fire.

To make your time here more pleasant, you might use the "ignore" function.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
…in the world influence the way you see God…? Why or why not…?

Seen enough to feel a WTF moment and why do you let dumb schit go on like this Mr. Big guy in the sky.

Seen enough to think it is his wrath on fuuked up people also.

Is what it is.
God can do pretty much what he wants when he wants.

Ain't no one been able to ask him why, get the answer and come back and tell us still using 02 types.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman

Thanks for the edifying words of encouragement. They are what I need. By the way, welcome to the 'fire.

To make your time here more pleasant, you might use the "ignore" function.

No problem. Hope all is well, or will be.

Thank you for the welcome here.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by renegade50
Seen enough to feel a WTF moment and why do you let dumb schit go on like this Mr. Big guy in the sky.

I saw one of those meme things somewhere, that very succinctly addresses that.

Oh, wait, here it is.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you really want to be mind blown, research the gnostic texts. At least what's left that the Catholics didn't destroy.

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is there is rational argument against the existence of a good and loving God…the God presented to us by Jesus in the New Testament…based on pain and suffering and injustice in the world…?

I understand that it’s an emotional argument, and when many of us hear people make it, especially based on their own personal pain and suffering and injustice, many of us get it. Many of us understand it. How could a good God allow that…? How could a loving God allow that…? How could a just God allow that…? Many of us totally get that. I think that many of us have enough compassion and empathy to be able to insert into someone else’s question and their hurt. But past the emotion and past the incident, is there a rational argument to be made against the existence of a good and loving God…the God presented to us by Jesus in the New Testament…?

Has Christianity ever made the argument for the existence of a good and loving God…the God presented to us by Jesus in the New Testament…based on a world where bad things never happen to good people…? Has Christianity ever made that argument…? Has Christianity ever taught that position…? Specifically, does the New Testament make that argument, or teach that position…?

Does the whole idea of throwing up all of the pain and suffering and injustice in the world in God’s face to somehow say that a good and loving God…the God presented to us by Jesus in the New Testament…doesn’t exist, even hold water…?

It’s clearly emotional. It’s clearly powerful. It’s clearly moving. But is it rational…based upon the teachings of Jesus and others in the New Testament…?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Oh, wait, here it is.

That dude in the frock is a total dick.

I saw him also in one of those meme things somewhere.

Oh wait, here it is.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Is there is rational argument against the existence of a good and loving God…the God presented to us by Jesus in the New Testament…based on pain and suffering and injustice in the world…?

I understand that it’s an emotional argument, and when many of us hear people make it, especially based on their own personal pain and suffering and injustice, many of us get it. Many of us understand it. How could a good God allow that…? How could a loving God allow that…? How could a just God allow that…? Many of us totally get that. I think that many of us have enough compassion and empathy to be able to insert into someone else’s question and their hurt. But past the emotion and past the incident, is there a rational argument to be made against the existence of a good and loving God…the God presented to us by Jesus in the New Testament…?

Has Christianity ever made the argument for the existence of a good and loving God…the God presented to us by Jesus in the New Testament…based on a world where bad things never happen to good people…? Has Christianity ever made that argument…? Has Christianity ever taught that position…? Specifically, does the New Testament make that argument, or teach that position…?

Does the whole idea of throwing up all of the pain and suffering and injustice in the world in God’s face to somehow say that a good and loving God…the God presented to us by Jesus in the New Testament…doesn’t exist, even hold water…?

It’s clearly emotional. It’s clearly powerful. It’s clearly moving. But is it rational…based upon the teachings of Jesus and others in the New Testament…?

Well the bible depicts god as an asshole, so pain and suffering shouldn't be a surprise.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Oh, wait, here it is.

Oh wait, here it is.

Wrong, that's not how it works.

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I can see how pain and suffering and injustice in the world calls into question the goodness and the love and the justice of God, but not the existence of God. This is a really big deal. There clearly is pain and suffering and injustice in the world, and Christians claim to worship a good and loving and right God…the God presented to us by Jesus in the New Testament…who’s all about right things and goodness and love. But the fact is that there is pain and suffering and injustice in the world, so I can see how it calls into question the justice and the love and the goodness of God, but not the existence of God.

To me, it makes more sense to be angry than atheist. It makes more sense to be angry with God. “God, if you’re love and good and just, then why the pain and suffering and injustice…?” It makes sense to be angry with God. But it doesn’t make any sense to me to be atheist based on pain and suffering and injustice in the world. There is a difference between arguing for God’s existence and examining your personal experience regarding God. The existence of God is different than your personal experience regarding God.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have been a little sore about it since those kids drown in basement of that school in Norman Oklahoma.

That was unnecessary.

I am MAGA.
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I feel ya’ Mr. Conrad. I was working in the ER at the Healthplex in Norman that very day. I stood out front and saw that tornado smash the town of Moore which was a little over 6 miles north of where I was. Our sister hospital in Moore was demolished in that storm. Plaza Towers Elementary School (where those 7 children drowned) was less than a mile WSW of there. The school and the hospital both took a direct hit from that EF5 tornado, which stayed on the ground for 39 minutes over a 17-mile path, crossing through a heavily populated section of Moore.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Oh, wait, here it is.

Oh wait, here it is.

Wrong, that's not how it works.

That's how the story goes.

Well?
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (160user, 10ring1, 222ND, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,572
Posts18,531,929
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.