Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can a person ruin a cartridge for you?

Nope.

Don't care what other people think enough for it to ruin a cartridge for me.

I value their freedom to think what they want to, as well as my own.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Germans ruined the 8x57 for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I don't blame you. Thank you for your service 🙏

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Same thing happened to me with the 7.62x39, but it wasn't the Germans.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac007
Mann’s uncle was right about the 30-06. However, I’ll never own a 6.5 Creedmore. Not because of one person but because hundreds of thousands of man bun wearing ninny’s swear it’s like some cutting edge new technology, surpassing all existing rifle dynamics as we know it.

Hope to never run into thousands of man bun wearing ninny's afield. Then again ,I could care less what they carry or what they think.
YMMV

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Never had another's opinion rune a cartridge for me. Came close after meeting Jack O'Conner and Elmer Keith at an NRA convention. Jack was a pompous AH on that particular day and Elmer was a gentleman. I have owned several 270's none of which stayed long. 243 is another cartridge I have never had any joy with. I have owned several, Colt Huntsman, Sako action, No1A Ruger probably the best looking rifle I ever owned, several Rem 700's and a Rem 600. None of which I could ever get to shoot like I wanted. 6mm Rem good to go, 6mm BR and 6mm Arc all of which have been excellent. The first 243 I had ever seen really shoot,(on paper on demand) is a friends Ruger 77v. Do I dislike the 243, no but my lovely wife has forbidden me buying another as she dislikes my comments when it doesn't work for me.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah I wanted so bad to love the 243 but it just never won me over. Every so many years I forget and buy another one. The definition of insanity and all that

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm in the same boat with the 243, have had several over the years that I wanted to like but never happened, the final cure for me with the 243 is when I bought an AR10T from Armalite in 243...........hated it !!!!!!!!!!!!!and it cured me for good with the 243

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Robert Silvers

300 blackout

couldn't stand all of the vague comparisons he was pushing on various forums shilling and trying to make about the blk in comparison to the mp5sd, etc. As I recall, he even was banned from a few of those forums.

[img]https://image.slidesharecdn.com/300...sibility-carbine-2-638.jpg?cb=1438121493[/img]

[img]https://image.slidesharecdn.com/300...sibility-carbine-7-638.jpg?cb=1438121493[/img]

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The 45-70 shooters ruined that one for me. Actually, come to think of it, the 45-70 ruined the 45-70 for me.

IC B3

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A person can't because I really don't care what someone says. But the entire hype about the 6.5 Creedmoore put me off it especially when I looked at the loading data and saw that it doesn't do a damn thing that my 6.5x55 Swede cannot do. As a matter of fact I can load the Swede to levels the 6.5 Creedmore cannot begin to attain. The 6.5 Creedmore has benefitted from a lot of hype and it filled a niche that didn't exist in the first place. The 6.5x55 Swede, 260 Rem, 6.5x57 Mauser, 6.5 Rem Mag and 264 Win mag all beat it. But they didn't have the hype.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by moosemike
Yeah I wanted so bad to love the 243 but it just never won me over. Every so many years I forget and buy another one. The definition of insanity and all that

Originally Posted by boatanchor
I'm in the same boat with the 243, have had several over the years that I wanted to like but never happened, the final cure for me with the 243 is when I bought an AR10T from Armalite in 243...........hated it !!!!!!!!!!!!!and it cured me for good with the 243

Not a .243 fan, either. If a person could be to blame, I s'pose it'd be my Superhero: Dad.

He bought me a 788 when I was 12, and a box of 100 grain CoreLokts for it. We proceeded to sight it in on the farm... with no hearing protection. The muzzle blast scared the [fecal material] outa me, and I flinched like a [maternal fornicator] every time I tried to get that 90# trigger to break. I managed by luck to take a few bucks with it as a teenager (none of them being spectacular kills), then it stayed in the gun cabinet for over 25 years.

After hanging out here a while, I got it out & tried (using hearing protection this time) to make it work with different brands of ammo & various bullet weights, but it sprayed shots wildly, even with a new scope & mounts.

I reached out to Mickey Coleman for advice, 'cause he seemed like one of the good guys here. His opinion was that it had a, "bad barrel", so he offered to screw a new one on there for me. As it turned out, he had a spare Douglas barrel in .280AI in the shop, so he reamed it to 7-08 so I could use the .243 magazine that came with the rifle. He even worked-over the trigger a bit. Voila - it would now stack 120 grain BT's atop one another, and I swear it has less recoil & muzzle blast, too.

I've no doubt I could take plenty of game with a .243, but I just don't see the point in trying again. I've got .223's that shoot extremely well, and .284-bore & up rifles for the bigger stuff. It's all just superstition, but that's the story behind my own.

And yes - Dad's still my Superhero, & always will be.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by MAC
A person can't because I really don't care what someone says. But the entire hype about the 6.5 Creedmoore put me off it especially when I looked at the loading data and saw that it doesn't do a damn thing that my 6.5x55 Swede cannot do. As a matter of fact I can load the Swede to levels the 6.5 Creedmore cannot begin to attain. The 6.5 Creedmore has benefitted from a lot of hype and it filled a niche that didn't exist in the first place. The 6.5x55 Swede, 260 Rem, 6.5x57 Mauser, 6.5 Rem Mag and 264 Win mag all beat it. But they didn't have the hype.

Have pointed out a number times on the Campfire and elsewhere that the point of the 6.5 Creedmoor is NOT beating the muzzle velocity of similar-sized rounds like the .260 and 6.5x55. Instead it began as a target round, with "modern" case and chamber features that resulted in finer accuracy--even with common, inexpensive factory ammo.

EVERY guy I've met who made your same criticisms has been a handloader, usually older, who thinks the only measurement of a cartridge is muzzle velocity. And no, the .260, 6.5x55, and 6.5x57 Mauser don't beat the Creedmoor's velocity when handloaded to the same pressure, because all three have just about the same powder capacity. I know this because I've handloaded for all three. (If you're loading the 6.5x55 to velocities "the Creedmore cannot begin to attain" then you're loading the 6.5x55 to much higher pressures--and the SAAMI maximum average pressure for the Creedmoor is 62,000 PSI, which is not that far behind the highest SAAMI maximum pressure SAAMI for any rifle cartridge.)

But the major advantage of the 6.5 Creedmoor is abundant, affordable and usually very accurate factory ammo. Have shot seven of 'em, and even the least accurate (a $250 T/C bolt rifle) would do an inch with really cheap factory ammo.

And no, the Creedmoor didn't start getting "hyped" until it had been around a few years. It was introduced as a target round in 2007, but it took longer for hunters to catch on. I was aware of its existence, but didn't buy one until 2010, when a local store got some Ruger Hawkeyes, and everybody was raving about the accuracy. So I bought one, along with several boxes of Hornady ammo, and the very first 5-shot (not 3-shot) group at 100 yards was around .6 inch. So I killed a pronghorn with it that fall, and wrote an article for Handloader magazine, so thought I was "done" with the 6.5 Creedmoor and sold the rifle.

But by that time far more hunters had tried one, and there was so much demand for info that various magazines started running articles. THAT was when the "hype" started--but it came from demand from readers. In fact, the editor of Handloader got tired of 6.5 Creedmoor articles, and said he wasn't going to run any more. But readers kept insisting on wanting more, so he had to change his mind--which is why I ended up doing at least three "update" articles on the round over the next dozen years, partly because so many bullet and powder companies kept introducing new bullets and powders primarily designed for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I will finish this by noting that I no longer own a 6.5 Creedmoor, or even dies. That's partly because I own a superbly accurate custom 6.5x55 made with a Lilja barrel by Charlie Sisk. But it doesn't group any better than some $500 6.5 CMs I've owned and shot--and you can't buy 6.5x55 factory ammo in the U.S. that matches the variety AND velocities of average 6.5 Creedmoor ammo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by MAC

Have pointed out a number times on the Campfire and elsewhere that the point of the 6.5 Creedmoor is NOT beating the muzzle velocity of similar-sized rounds like the .260 and 6.5x55. Instead it began as a target round, with "modern" case and chamber features that resulted in finer accuracy--even with common, inexpensive factory ammo.

EVERY guy I've met who made your same criticisms has been a handloader, usually older, who thinks the only measurement of a cartridge is muzzle velocity. And no, the .260, 6.5x55, and 6.5x57 Mauser don't beat the Creedmoor's velocity when handloaded to the same pressure, because all three have just about the same powder capacity. I know this because I've handloaded for all three. (If you're loading the 6.5x55 to velocities "the Creedmore cannot begin to attain" then you're loading the 6.5x55 to much higher pressures--and the SAAMI maximum average pressure for the Creedmoor is 62,000 PSI, which is not that far behind the highest SAAMI maximum pressure SAAMI for any rifle cartridge.)

But the major advantage of the 6.5 Creedmoor is abundant, affordable and usually very accurate factory ammo. Have shot seven of 'em, and even the least accurate (a $250 T/C bolt rifle) would do an inch with really cheap factory ammo.

And no, the Creedmoor didn't start getting "hyped" until it had been around a few years. It was introduced as a target round in 2007, but it took longer for hunters to catch on. I was aware of its existence, but didn't buy one until 2010, when a local store got some Ruger Hawkeyes, and everybody was raving about the accuracy. So I bought one, along with several boxes of Hornady ammo, and the very first 5-shot (not 3-shot) group at 100 yards was around .6 inch. So I killed a pronghorn with it that fall, and wrote an article for Handloader magazine, so thought I was "done" with the 6.5 Creedmoor and sold the rifle.

But by that time far more hunters had tried one, and there was so much demand for info that various magazines started running articles. THAT was when the "hype" started--but it came from demand from readers. In fact, the editor of Handloader got tired of 6.5 Creedmoor articles, and said he wasn't going to run any more. But readers kept insisting on wanting more, so he had to change his mind--which is why I ended up doing at least three "update" articles on the round over the next dozen years, partly because so many bullet and powder companies kept introducing new bullets and powders primarily designed for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I will finish this by noting that I no longer own a 6.5 Creedmoor, or even dies. That's partly because I own a superbly accurate custom 6.5x55 made with a Lilja barrel by Charlie Sisk. But it doesn't group any better than some $500 6.5 CMs I've owned and shot--and you can't buy 6.5x55 factory ammo in the U.S. that matches the variety AND velocities of average 6.5 Creedmoor ammo.

Thanks John,nice to have a response by someone who knows what they're talking about and has actually BTDT.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yup. Which is why I stated early in this thread, if I didn’t already have a .260 Rem (which is my favorite rifle) when the 6.5 CM came out, I’d have built one.

I appreciate a versatile, accurate, mild recoiling cartridge.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've never understood why some people get so emotional involved about inanimate objects.

IMO cartridges aren't good or bad, they are just cartridges and all cartridges are designed to work within a set of performance parameters. With few exception, like the 22 and 6mm PPCs, most, maybe all, cartridges that have been introduced during the past 100 years are redundant in some way and could be replaced by other similar cartridges without any meaningful difference in actual performance.

I've never understood how any American male with cahones' can sit out a presidential election and not bother to vote. That's far more important than getting horned up and pissed about what someone chooses to shoot or hunt with. I personally could give a ratsazzz what anyone uses, or what anyone thinks about my own equipment.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by JohnnyMac007
I’ll never own a 6.5 Creedmore. Not because of one person but because hundreds of thousands of man bun wearing ninny’s swear it’s like some cutting edge new technology, surpassing all existing rifle dynamics as we know it.

Except none of that is true. Hundreds of thousands? Exaggerate much?

Sorry to have stepped on your favorite cartridge and hair style.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Craigster
[

Thanks John,nice to have a response by someone who knows what they're talking about and has actually BTDT.

Thanks!

As an example of 6.5 Creedmoor factory rifle/ammo accuracy, here's a group shot with Hornady 143-grain ELD-X hunting ammo from an unaltered Franchi Momentum rifle retailing for around $550 at the time, if I recall the price correctly.

This is not a 100-yard group, but was shot at 300 yards while sighting-in for a mule deer hunt. There was a little left-right breeze, which I didn't try to correct for--though the drift was "correct" the load and range. Have known quite a few handloaders who would be happy with such a group at 100 yards.... In fact I know more one Creedmoor critic who thinks 1-1/2", 3-shot groups with one of his favorite rounds are really good. There's no doubt that'll work for most big game hunting at "normal" ranges, but....

The target was shot at by more than one of the hunters in camp, the reason there are other holds--some of which are covered with "pasters." But this was my final confirmation group.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by MAC

As Potterfield likes to say, "that's the way it is".

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed John, thank you.

It amazes me that someone can actually "hate" any cartridge. I just don't get it. I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor and I doubt I ever will. Not because I hate it, or its hype, or the weird unfathomable connotations applied to owners/shooters of it, it's just that I have a nifty 6.5x55 Ruger 1A and that's enough 6.5 anythings for me (well, maybe not if another 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer winked at me). I have enough other guns to mess with, such that I doubt I'll have enough time to fully understand them all before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

To each his own but I do wish that the haters would at least learn to spell "Creedmoor" properly though.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 80 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,881
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.