Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The real fact is, 95% of all big game animals are killed under 300 yards, so most all of the incessant "long range hunting" ballistics equipment and prep is irrelevant to actually killing stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The typical Reupold CDS,couldn't begin to pass a simplistic 100yd Tall Target Test,but they are "great!" inside the barbed-wire! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The real fact is, 95% of all big game animals are killed under 300 yards, so most all of the incessant "long range hunting" ballistics equipment and prep is irrelevant to actually killing stuff.
No debate there!

But then what fun would this forum be?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
And most of the long range shooting equipment purchased is used at similar ranges.

Thread was a glorious failed attempt at Leupold bashing. The arguments against it were more of a benefit of it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
No debate there!

But then what fun would this forum be?

Good point!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I reckon I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon,to mail in my MK4 Reupold Spotter(for the third time). Can they put a CDS on it,so it will "work"?!? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My point is, those who have a deep understanding of the technical aspects of ballistics probably don’t shoot CDS. There are the few experienced hunters who get by on grit and woodsmanship and may choose CDS for whatever reason, and then there are the overwhelming majority of the rest who choose CDS because they just walked out of a big box and it sounded cool.

The first one I got because I wanted to try it. It worked for what I do with it. I have crappy eyes and probably won't ever shoot past 600 yards. I probably won't ever shoot an animal past 400 yards. So, really I don't even need a CDS but they're fun to play with IMO. I do reload my own ammo. But it's not like I'm blowing the factory stuff out of the water, although it's more accurate.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The difference with handloads is you can replicate the velocity every time. Even as powder lots or brass may change, you just work up the velocity to match the turret. CDS would actually work much better for a handloader. But I’d venture to guess that the vast majority of CDS users are factory ammo guys. They don’t even know what different lots are. Or understand that their barrel may naturally speed up after a couple hundred shots and change things. Or understand that environmental conditions change ballistics. Ignorance is bliss and it’s a good thing deer offer a sizeable amount of target area inside of most ranges.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Good points SDHNR. I am a handloader and I have a magnetospeed chronograph. I have a VX-5HD 2-10 with ZL2 and CDS. It's on a Tikka T3X 270 WSM, and I always use the same load (Nosler 140 accubond at 3200). Air density changes can change ballistics at very long range but I tend to hunt in conditions similar to what the CDS was set up for. It works very well for me and I have not had any problems with tracking in my scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bottom line, CDS is for people who don’t know any better. With a little education and better understanding, no one who is well informed uses them. Every single one of the guys that Ive met who uses CDS (or similar) also shoots factory ammo. Which I find funny. Because I then ask them, “so you bought 4-5 cases of that ammo with the same lot # right?” Blank stare. Hell, most don’t even own a chronograph and just use the velocity printed on the box when cutting the turret! Ha! Then they think that cut turret allows them to do magical things at 800 yards!

And I think that brings up the real objection people have to CDS. It’s a shortcut. It enables people to take shots and attempt to do things they probably shouldn’t. Without the proper understanding required to take such shots.

Now that's some serious self-righteous high-horse BS if I've ever heard it!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nobody has ever placed CDS atop a Sound Rifle,gunned a 100yd Tall Target Test,got done and said "that works great". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
CDS = +950 inches

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CheeseGrater,

You can't even take a real picture,with a real camera and are a Hay Bale Sluicing Fenced Fhuqktard...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Bottom line, CDS is for people who don’t know any better. With a little education and better understanding, no one who is well informed uses them. Every single one of the guys that Ive met who uses CDS (or similar) also shoots factory ammo. Which I find funny. Because I then ask them, “so you bought 4-5 cases of that ammo with the same lot # right?” Blank stare. Hell, most don’t even own a chronograph and just use the velocity printed on the box when cutting the turret! Ha! Then they think that cut turret allows them to do magical things at 800 yards!

And I think that brings up the real objection people have to CDS. It’s a shortcut. It enables people to take shots and attempt to do things they probably shouldn’t. Without the proper understanding required to take such shots.

Now that's some serious self-righteous high-horse BS if I've ever heard it!
Stick is definitely right about one thing. The hurt feelers and panty wadding abound here. It’s never not funny!

Last edited by SDHNTR; 08/29/23.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I haven't seen anything that narcotic infested midget says in years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Probably less !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Comedy gold in the optics forum, again !!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tough to beat the HILARITY of Imaginary Pretend Ignore,heralded from inside a barbed wire fence. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Have seen the Freedom line track perfectly. Windage clicks were mushy however.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
You are practical minded and I appreciate your outlook. I think the majority of folks are too. I’d wager simple MOA duplex reticle (9 or 10 power max)
sit atop most hunter’s rifles. Nothing against long range shooters and equipment mind you. As long as they aren’t just wounding animals. The more firearms enthusiasts the better. Ultimately, simple purists likely prefer less equipment/gadgetry. I know I do. I and others like you don’t have overwhelming interest to attempt to harvest quarry beyond 300. Heck, it’s hard to find places to shoot beyond 300; even less than that.

Last edited by Vinootz; 09/09/23. Reason: Typo
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,003 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,900
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.