Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
The recently purchased Sig X-Ten is proving to be somewhat of a disappointment. Ergonomically speaking, and in regards to the trigger, the gun is outstanding. Accuracy with woods loads is good. The mags are truly a weak link.

The first range session with the gun consisted of some cheap 180gr FMJ plinking rounds. Though difficult to load to capacity, the mags and the gun worked fine. Today's range session with 200gr, .401 WFN hard cast from Montana Bullet Works showed the weaknesses of the Sig pistol. My loads use the book max of Longshot, loaded to 1.250". Velocity is 1150 with the other, shorter barreled 10mms. I didn't bring the chrony along today. Accuracy at 25 yds was good. The problem is that when loaded with more than 10 rounds, the 15 round mag won't function. So basically, when using common bear defense ammo the Sig is an 11 round gun at best. There seems to be something about the WFN profile that ties the mags up. When loaded with 14 or 15 rounds the first round comes out of the mag and then the remaining ones just stay down. The spring or the follower hang up and keep the mag from functioning properly. This hanging up continues until there are only 10 rounds in the mag.

Another irritation is that with this ammo (You know, the sort most people would want to use in a pistol such as this) the gun shoots 7" low at 25 yards. Does anyone have any replacement sight experience for this guns? I plan to check with Ameriglo for a lower tritium front. I looked at the Sig website. They offer an adjustable rear for the 320, but give no indication as to whether it works with the X-Ten. There's also no discernable way to order it. Apparently they have some cult you have to join, the "legion" in order to get pricing and ordering info?

It's looking like the Sig is an expensive "not quite" in the world of plastic 10mms.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It sounds like the magazine is too short to work with that ammo (or the ammo is loaded too long). Likely as not, because there are more 1911 10mms out there than SIG 320s, the ammo was loaded to the max length for 1911 magazines, and the stuff just doesn't work in your SIG. The SIGs are a relatively new offering, so that's not an ammo issue, it's a gun issue.

You might check with Dawson Precision on your front sight issue. He's got stuff to fit damn near anything and everything.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Regarding the sights, doesn't the Sig use combat 3-dot sights? Make sure you're not getting messed up by forgetting the sight picture required for combat sights.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Good point dla, but I’ve been using this sort of sight for years now, so no issues there.

Dawson makes a fine product. I really like their narrow fronts but I’d rather have tritiums on this one. Ameriglo has some outstanding options in that regard.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd agree with Ratsmacker, you have to seat them to fit magazine, might or might not have to reduce powder charge a bit.

Found on the Montana Bullet Works website:

"From a customer–we couldn’t have said it any better: At first they wouldn’t feed in my glock 20 with KKM barrel. Additionally, the wide metplat rubs the side of the magazine when you stuff 12 or so in there at SAAMI length. After some experimentation, I found they function flawlessly at about 1.22-1.23” overall length. Of course this is slightly deeper than recommended for the 10mm, but working up from a starting load slowly gave me no issues. Brinn"

Not sure about the sights, I've loaded 215 gr in my 10, still minute-of-toothy-critter in it.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Considering how fast a Grizz charges at you, odds are you won't be able to get off more than a couple of shots at best. So if your pistol won't shoot more than ten rounds,don't worry as they will be plenty. A Grizz wants to have you for lunch, you'd better make those first two count. Long odds are you'll not have time for any more. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the XTen and didn't have any of the issues you describe. The mags are difficult to get the 15th round in, that is true, but I generally only load 14 just to keep the mag spring a little happier and last a little longer. Sounds like the metplats of your bullet are too wide for the contoured magazine, and/or have an OAL too long. I have found I need 10mm's to be no longer that 1.24" for reliable feeding in the various 10's pistols that get shot here. That's especially true with LHC and wide faced bullets.

As for the sights, mine were almost POA/POI using the standard sight alignment with POI at top of front sight. The "combat" sight thing is total BS in my opinion. It covers the target. Always be sure of your target and beyond...except when using this dumb, I-don't-know-how-to-aim-a-gun-alignment technique. I don't know a single competitive shooter, including the best of the best that use a combat sight hold. So saying it's faster is not true. A red dot definitely wrings out the best of the Xten as the dot can be dialed down smaller and is much more precise at long distances than an almost 1/8" wide front sight blade.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Considering how fast a Grizz charges at you, odds are you won't be able to get off more than a couple of shots at best. So if your pistol won't shoot more than ten rounds,don't worry as they will be plenty. A Grizz wants to have you for lunch, you'd better make those first two count. Long odds are you'll not have time for any more. grin

L.W.

I would pick 5 or 6 shot revolver in substantially more powerful caliber .45 LC/.44Mag or more. The .454 is nice because both .45LC and .454 loads can be used. American city folk 🤡 think they will engage Mr. Grizz in a running gun battle with possible mag reloads.🤣

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by pabucktail
The recently purchased Sig X-Ten is proving to be somewhat of a disappointment. Ergonomically speaking, and in regards to the trigger, the gun is outstanding. Accuracy with woods loads is good. The mags are truly a weak link.

The first range session with the gun consisted of some cheap 180gr FMJ plinking rounds. Though difficult to load to capacity, the mags and the gun worked fine. Today's range session with 200gr, .401 WFN hard cast from Montana Bullet Works showed the weaknesses of the Sig pistol. My loads use the book max of Longshot, loaded to 1.250". Velocity is 1150 with the other, shorter barreled 10mms. I didn't bring the chrony along today. Accuracy at 25 yds was good. The problem is that when loaded with more than 10 rounds, the 15 round mag won't function. So basically, when using common bear defense ammo the Sig is an 11 round gun at best. There seems to be something about the WFN profile that ties the mags up. When loaded with 14 or 15 rounds the first round comes out of the mag and then the remaining ones just stay down. The spring or the follower hang up and keep the mag from functioning properly. This hanging up continues until there are only 10 rounds in the mag.

Another irritation is that with this ammo (You know, the sort most people would want to use in a pistol such as this) the gun shoots 7" low at 25 yards. Does anyone have any replacement sight experience for this guns? I plan to check with Ameriglo for a lower tritium front. I looked at the Sig website. They offer an adjustable rear for the 320, but give no indication as to whether it works with the X-Ten. There's also no discernable way to order it. Apparently they have some cult you have to join, the "legion" in order to get pricing and ordering info?

It's looking like the Sig is an expensive "not quite" in the world of plastic 10mms.

I had a Sig X-Ten. Same mag problem you are having. I loaded as short as 1.20 with 200gr cast.
Sent the 2 mags back to Sig they sent back 5 mags. About every other mag would fail to feed at least 1 round.

I also have both a FN 510 and a Springfield XDM. Both of these feed everything I've loaded. My standard load length is 1.26 with 200 cast or 200 xtp.

I had installed a safety on the Sig X-Ten and along with the 5 mags I sold (at a big discount) it to a local that was aware of the mag issue I had.

The FN 510 is by far my favorite. The Springfield just needs a different rear sight for my eyes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Slavek

L.W.

I would pick 5 or 6 shot revolver in substantially more powerful caliber .45 LC/.44Mag or more. The .454 is nice because both .45LC and .454 loads can be used. American city folk 🤡 think they will engage Mr. Grizz in a running gun battle with possible mag reloads.🤣

So tell us, how many "Mr.Grizz" charges you survived by way of the guns & cartridges you just recommended ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

L.W.

I've come to the same conclusion regarding capacity, and decided that the extra five or six extra rounds aren't worth the weight. Ten rounds are more than enough.

BTW, I've seen the same magazine problem with the XDME. Adjusting the load and seating the bullet a little deeper cured it.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would already own an XTEN if I hadn’t read this same thing over and over. Pretty disappointing that Sig would put a gun on the market that won’t feed heavyweight bullets. I’m leaning more and more towards a P220 or a Tanfoglio Witness.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I dont think it is a big surprise that an auto pistol might have trouble feeding a WFN bullet

go to a truncated cone style of bullet or similar shape in a heavyweight and Id bet that pistol will feed fine

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 09/17/23.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have an update gents:

I have fixed the feeding issue with the 200gr Montana Bullet Works WFN bullet by seating it deeper, with a COAL of 1.220 and still using the max charge of Longshot. Velocity indicates no pressure issues. The pistol has been fully tested and I have no function concerns. For those interested, practice loads the same bullet that has the hi-tek coating averaged 27fps greater velocity.

Getting zeroed was a goat-rope. Upon calling Sig to buy replacement sights to get the correct height, Sig told me they expect people to use a combat sight picture. I told the guy that really makes no sense generally and really sucks for trying to shoot deer at 50 yards. He was aghast and told me that 50 yards was "way to far!" which made me question his experience with handguns. He dodged that question and instead told me that Sig's accuracy standard is a 3" group at 10 yards. Yes, you read that correctly, 10 yards. I found out that their P320 adjustable rear sight will fit the X-Ten's pro cut slide, but will necessitate the removal of the OEM fixed rear. It actually took talking to three different people before one of them told me about this fit. The first two said there was no way it would work, but I kept asking because it looked like it would. The downside is the stupid thing costs $160!!

So rather than pay $160 for a new rear sight, I paid alot less for a mounting plate from Springer Precision and mounted up a Holosun EPS Carry that I had on another gun. The sight zeroed just fine, and it was pretty simple to modify the Simply Rugged holster for the new setup.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (12344mag, 160user, 338rcm, 22kHornet, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,448
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.