Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Cheesy
For $47k you can buy a whole fleet of 7000 series Allis Chalmers and they’ll have enough weight to actually do something. I think at one time my uncle had a half dozen he picked up for $5k-$7k at farm auctions, and he wasn’t just playing with them, but mixing feed daily for several hundred milk cows plus raising a lot of their feed. Blow a motor up? Big deal, now you’ve got a parts tractor for the other 5…

Not as cushy as a new Deere, but the price was right.
But they don’t have a cab, Hvac, and stereo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
For $47k you can buy a whole fleet of 7000 series Allis Chalmers and they’ll have enough weight to actually do something. I think at one time my uncle had a half dozen he picked up for $5k-$7k at farm auctions, and he wasn’t just playing with them, but mixing feed daily for several hundred milk cows plus raising a lot of their feed. Blow a motor up? Big deal, now you’ve got a parts tractor for the other 5…

But they don’t have a cab, Hvac, and stereo.

Sure they do, unless they’re on my uncles dairy, then everything’s always in a state of kinda almost working…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]spacebar key not working

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Spacebar no workie , Pard?

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
You need 4x4 for hills, Pard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Maybe on a toy tractor, Pard.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A bit of history
I have a 36 acre hilly property where I use my tractor.
I have only had and driven 1 Tractor in my life time so I do not have any comparison experience to share.
I purchased a Kubota MX5800 and it was probably the best fit for my uses.
The Dealer helped me by asking me the right questions about what my needs were with a Tractor.

Find a Dealer that you can work with and like. They will be a key player in the operation of what ever Tractor you choose to purchase.

I got lucky and found a great dealer interested with getting me set up with the best possible Tractor for what
I was going to use it for.

Do not cheap out and get the minimum Tractor for your needs purchase up because after you start using one you will find many other uses for it as time go's on.
My MX5800 has surprised me several times in what it can do.
It is a beast for my uses.

Good luck with what Tractor you choose to get.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cub cadet

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Maybe on a toy tractor, Pard.
It’s for shaman.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by shaman
One of my challenges will be hauling tons of fieldstone from the 200 acres back to the building site. I've got stone piles out the wazoo. THe problem is that they have to be dug out and loaded on something and transported up to a half-mile back to the house. Beyond that, I'll need something to mow, put in food plots, collect firewood and keep the roads open.

If I'm following, you want to dig up rock piles with loader tractor?

That is not going to be fun for a little loader tractor.
I was trying to think it had to be nice about this that's not even no fun with an actual real tractor and loader. I would hire a guy with the track loader or excavator to get rid of your big rock piles... I'm the farmer with the big real tractors and I'm also the guy with the excavator stuff have been most of my entire life lots of experience in what I say

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo
The Kubota dealer in Cynthiana just lost his franchise, & he was never competitive with the ones in Mt. Sterling or Augusta anyway.

No disrespect intended, but there's been many a city fella buy a hill farm & get really effed up or worse on a tractor, especially while pulling a loaded trailer or wagon. A beater 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup with some rough tires can haul the hell out of field rock or firewood, & be a lot safer to boot on land like you own. JMHO. 4x4 tractors changed the game as far as HP requirements & safety. But when the tail is wagging the dog like a trailer or wagon can do is another problem.

That leaves room for a sensibly priced 45-65 HP tractor for food plots & such.

This might sound intrusive or opinionated but I've lived in the immediate area all my life & could share many stories of roller coaster rides in a tractor. Some came out OK, some did not.

No offense taken. I'm an Oliver Douglas type for sure. I grew up in a construction family, but spent 40 years doing IT work. As a farmer, I . . . well, I know how to do your network. Does that count?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
One of my challenges will be hauling tons of fieldstone from the 200 acres back to the building site. I've got stone piles out the wazoo. THe problem is that they have to be dug out and loaded on something and transported up to a half-mile back to the house. Beyond that, I'll need something to mow, put in food plots, collect firewood and keep the roads open.

I was trying to think it had to be nice about this that's not even no fun with an actual real tractor and loader. I would hire a guy with the track loader or excavator to get rid of your big rock piles... I'm the farmer with the big real tractors and I'm also the guy with the excavator stuff have been most of my entire life lots of experience in what I say

This makes a lot of sense. I was looking at the biggest pile the other day. It's 8'high and 30' long When I moved in, it was all alone at the edge of the field and you could drive the truck between it and the treeline. Now, after 20+ years, it's inside the treeline and trees are growing out of it. Most of the rock around the place is one or two layers of big plates stacked at the edge of the field.

1) I could probably use a bulldozer easier than a loader tractor
2) I could buy a lot of nicer rock than the fieldstone I've got for $47K
3) I could probably really f-up a tractor trying to move the rock while I was learning.

My friends and neighbors are giving me all sorts of ideas. One suggested a busload of Messicans.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Rough, Ky

Or similar...

Lots on Fakebook in your zone...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There's nothing funnier than some retard that has never worked on a farm, inheriting some acreage and deciding he wanna try doing farmer schit.

"I dug this hole and filled it in with sand last week."

Uhhhh, why?

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 Kabota's, make sure to use good fuel and change the fluids per spec...parts are expensive, but they all are. My dealer is close, that made the decision easier for me...same at my last house.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ldholton

This makes a lot of sense. I was looking at the biggest pile the other day. It's 8'high and 30' long When I moved in, it was all alone at the edge of the field and you could drive the truck between it and the treeline. Now, after 20+ years, it's inside the treeline and trees are growing out of it. Most of the rock around the place is one or two layers of big plates stacked at the edge of the field.

1) I could probably use a bulldozer easier than a loader tractor
2) I could buy a lot of nicer rock than the fieldstone I've got for $47K
3) I could probably really f-up a tractor trying to move the rock while I was learning.

My friends and neighbors are giving me all sorts of ideas. One suggested a busload of Messicans.

can't load rock in a truck to move with a dozer. you want to dig a hole and bury them that might be different

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

These are cheap horsepower these days. A friend just sold the 7010 his dad bought new in 83’. Had a loader and good rubber, well maintained and low hours. It brought $3400 at auction. He sold a couple of the implements at the same auction, $400-$600 apiece, and gave the ones that didn’t sell to my uncle, a 14’ Batwing and a 4 bottom moldboard.

If I needed one I’d be far more inclined to buy one of these or a 70’s model IH than a new compact for $40k.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Unless you are super handy, a dealer is likely the most important factor.

This.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have an LS 45 hp tractor with an enclosed cab. I've had it 6 years and had no problems. I mostly use it for snow removal but also run a flail mower and PTO chipper occasionally. When I purchased it, it was quite a bit cheaper then the comparable Kubota and my funds were limited. I previously had a Kubota BX. The BX is nice tractor but too small for any serious work. The drawback with LS is that the dealer network is thin and tends to be more small mom and pop type places. Since I haven't had need for much dealer support, it hasn't been an issue for me. I had one part fail on my machine and the dealer send me a replacement that I installed. If money is no object and you have good dealer close by, I would probably look seriously at the Kubota. A note on the LS is that they make some of the New Holland models so you can sometimes get parts from New Holland that fit an LS. New Holland doesn't do any warranty work on the LS branded tractors, however.

Last edited by atomchaser; 09/19/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The older, larger tractors will get the job done easier but the comforts aren't there. I Have some large 4WD tractors and a NH 9030 with a loader, and a 990 David Brown for small tasks. That and excavators, dozers, etc.

I bought a new JD 4052R with all the options and attachments I could ever use just over a year ago. It is not a heavy tillage machine but it handles a 6' disk, mower, and tiller just fine. It sure is nice to jump into a new rig with all of the comforts and not need to worry about fixing. It was out of my price range until the dealer mentioned 60mo warranty and 60mo, 0% financing. Zero fixing and free money for 5 years sounds good to me.

I will probably trade it for a 4066R in a few years. With the hydro transmission, a little more HP wouldn't hurt. I would not want anything smaller unless it was just for mowing my lawn.

I called and emailed our Kobota dealer a few times to price a tractor with zero response. That was the deal maker on the JD. I have a few dealers all within an hour and they are all looking to help.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think I'm the last dude on earth that don't need a fugking tractor.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 41 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,223
Posts18,504,259
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.