Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For a total of 102 times in 24 hrs. It’s a 600 ft BASE jump off the Perrine bridge in Twin Falls, which means the climbs back up the canyon added up to almost 50,000 feet.

Not my cup of tea, but that’s a LOT of climbing in 24 hrs, even at a low 3,000 feet elevation.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/...s-base-jumping-record-at-perrine-bridge/

For thousands of years, the people of planet Earth have worked to out-do each other.

Sometimes for good, sometimes for not – sometimes for no real reason other than being able to say you are better than the others.

The game of one-upmanship has a special home in Twin Falls. The Perrine Bridge: It’s a gorgeous piece of architecture. Most people drive over it, some look off the side to capture the scenes.

Others jump off with a parachute only to climb back up, nearly 500 feet, to jump again and again and again and – well, you get it.

There is a record to chase: the most human-powered jumps and climbs back up in a 24-hour period.

We’ve followed this battle for years and a new chapter was written this week by a new character.

One looking far beyond the record book.

Last Friday, Jonathan Cox made history by successfully completing 102 consecutive human-powered jumps off the Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls, crushing the previous record of 64 jumps.

Cox embarked on his record attempt at 7 p.m. on Friday. The first 20 jumps, Cox said, went smoothly as he enjoyed soaring 486 feet down to the river below. Things changed for Cox around the 30 jump mark – fatigue began to set in.

“Once I started to hurt, the bike ride out to the middle of the bridge was my recovery time,” Cox said. “Around 60 jumps, I hit a wall and was really struggling to climb back up from the river.”

But he was more than determined to push through. Cox had set his sights on the century mark, the 100-jump milestone. The endurance to climb back up the side of the Snake River Canyon for 24 hours cannot be understated. In total, Cox climbed 49,572 feet. Mount Everest is 29,032 feet in elevation for perspective. So yes, Cox climbed Everest completely and almost a second time during his journey.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB4

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What a bizarre thing to do.

He had to be sniffing some speed.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
And at the end of the day and all his accomplishment…who really gives a shît? 🤪

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To do that you have to trust your friends. He had at least a couple others packing his chutes for him. It's something you can't leave to chance. The canyon walls are vertical. There's a trail out of the canyon next to the bridge and it's steep. Climbing that 100 times in a day takes some serious legs and lungs.

His jumps were all standard ones. They have a fair number of injuries and a few deaths off that bridge. Most of those are from someone trying to make it bigger and better. They do crazy stuff and get in trouble. With only a 500' fall, you don't have time to do much correcting on the way down. A few years ago, a guy stood on his friends shoulders as they jumped. The bottom chute got wrapped around the top guy. They got untangled in time but they both got hurt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have contemplated jumping off Perrine Bridge, after dealing with a female clerk at Home Depot, (regarding the difference between tapered pipe thread and straight thread), a couple blocks south. Where do they hire these people from?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To break a record means some other idiot set the record........

I sit less than 2 miles from said bridge. People come from all over the world to jump off that thing. Dozens each year end up in the emergency room and a couple each year meet their maker doing it. They keep that pretty quiet.

Just walking across it and looking down puckers me up. No thanks on jumping off of it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You are right rockchuck he had to have a couple guys packing chutes. Who wants to be up at 3am packing parachutes?
Bizarre.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I have contemplated jumping off Perrine Bridge, after dealing with a female clerk at Home Depot, (regarding the difference between tapered pipe thread and straight thread), a couple blocks south. Where do they hire these people from?

Lol, I had one tell me that 2 40amp breakers equaled one 80amp breakers......."simple math" he said. He got really pissed when I started laughing and walked away.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I was waiting one morning in the parking lot for Sportsmans Whse to open, looking the Perrine Bridge, a family van pulls up and stops right on the bridge, a woman and a little kid jump out, I go into 'oh schidt, no! mode, thinking they were jumpers. The kid leans over the railing kinda with some kind of Zebco looking kiddy fishing pole, Mom snaps his picture, they jump back into the van and haul ass. I laughed until my eyes leaked. Some family, somewhere has a gag picture of Junior fishing off Perrine bridge.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The all time dumbest jump from that bridge was a few years back by a CA guy in his 70's. He had a brilliant idea and an assistant. They spread out an old chute and sprayed it with some kind of accelerant. The idea was that the assistant would light it then he'd jump with a flaming chute. Then he'd drop that chute and pop the real one.
It didn't go as planned. Apparently, when the assistant was spraying the chute, the wind drifted some of whatever he used to the man's clothes. When the assistant lit it, the flames jumped to the man and he went up in his own ball of flame. He went off the bridge in a Hollywood stunt fashion and never popped his chute. RIP idiot.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord

I was just thinking something along those lines. In the end, what did he really accomplish?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt

I was just thinking something along those lines. In the end, what did he really accomplish?

Same can be said about getting that group size a tenth of an inch smaller or shooting a buck with a half inch more spread….. or lifting a truck 6”.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

grin grin

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Same can be said about getting that group size a tenth of an inch smaller or shooting a buck with a half inch more spread….. or lifting a truck 6”.
Biggest pumpkin contests???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (06hunter59, 16gage, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 57 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,988
Posts18,481,048
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.