Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Doesn't even come close to what I feel it should. Any of you guys have any experience with this? By the way we are were not at fault. T-boned on a through street.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Without knowing make, model and mileage - hard to say.

I've had several cars totaled out - never been my fault. Considering their age/miles - I always got what I thought was fair. I'm driving a 12 year old car with 86k on it - yeah, I'm not getting as much as I'll need to buy a new one free and clear.

Now if you're talking injury settlement - talk to a lawyer.

Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Try telling them just replace it with exactly the same thing mileage and all in good condition. It's going to be a fight. You can get a few estimates on how much to replace it. That's the whole problem. It shouldn't be too much to ask to get it replaced with no cost to you. It wasn't your fault.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Doesn't even come close to what I feel it should. Any of you guys have any experience with this? By the way we are were not at fault. T-boned on a through street.

Isn't your insurance supposed to allow you to replace your vehicle with a comparable vehicle (similar year, mileage)? Tell your insurance agent to show you a comparable replacement in Autotrader/Craigslist/etc. and point out the price difference, if any, and go from there.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 40-50% of KBB average.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn't even come close to what I feel it should.

What do you base your feelings on about it? Your insurance company is probably using the NADA value minus your deductible, or their own database. You should find out which.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainshot
Try telling them just replace it with exactly the same thing mileage and all in good condition. It's going to be a fight. You can get a few estimates on how much to replace it. That's the whole problem. It shouldn't be too much to ask to get it replaced with no cost to you. It wasn't your fault.

🤣

Isn't your insurance supposed to allow you to replace your vehicle with a comparable vehicle (similar year, mileage)? Tell your insurance agent to show you a comparable replacement in Autotrader/Craigslist/etc. and point out the price difference, if any, and go from there.[/quote]

🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by Swifty52; 09/26/23.

Swifty
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You are under no obligation to accept their initial settlement.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Just picked up our 11' Mazda 3
Had to use our 'uninsured' coverage as the person that hit my wife[was ticketed] failed to report to her insurance for 2 weeks.
Initial estimate came in at $4,700 and I was surprised when my ins said fix it.
Clean KBB is at $5K+/-

My ins sent final claim forms today, total was actually over $7,700!!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't accept it hold tight the longer you can hold out the more money you're going to get...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
Just picked up our 11' Mazda 3
Had to use our 'uninsured' coverage as the person that hit my wife[was ticketed] failed to report to her insurance for 2 weeks.
Initial estimate came in at $4,700 and I was surprised when my ins said fix it.
Clean KBB is at $5K+/-

My ins sent final claim forms today, total was actually over $7,700!!

1996 or so, I got rear ended at a stop light. I was in an 88 Toyota truck with 148k on the clock. Car that hit me was a Buick of some sort. Cops estimated they were doing 50-60 mph or so.

I had 9k in body damage alone and unknown mechanical (didn't get that far) and the insurance wanted to fix it. They make weird decisions. I literally had to stuff a bottle jack between the rear tire and bumper to push it away from the tire so I could change it out - flat. The rear axle or pinion was bent at a minimum as well.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wife was driving our little TDI Jetta and was hit and totaled. I did a little research before the other party reached out to settle. I gave them 3 examples of a comparable vehicle within 50 miles and said I expected the average. Had a check in a couple days.

CK
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
In essence, you are selling your car to the insurance company, so you can negotiate on the price somewhat.

You have the duty to show the adjuster why your car has more value than what they are offering. Do some research on Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com, Carmax, etc. and only show the adjuster the highest comps you can find.

The adjuster will usually deduct for bad tires, excessive door dings, faded paint, stained interiors, and so on.

On the other hand, if your car was pristine, keep pointing that out, over and over again. I also like to remind the other guys adjuster that 'your guy hit me, and put me in this position'. The adjusters are human, and I like to think I can 'guilt' them into paying a bit more, because 'your guy put me in this position'.

I always advise my clients to ask for more, even if they like the first offer from the insurance company.

The insurance company offer should include sales tax on the agreed amount, plus the balance of your license plate registration costs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did they get ticketed?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Isn't your insurance supposed to allow you to replace your vehicle with a comparable vehicle (similar year, mileage)? Tell your insurance agent to show you a comparable replacement in Autotrader/Craigslist/etc. and point out the price difference, if any, and go from there.

This. People are just tricked into accepting the screwing by the insurance Co. Contact lowyer or state govt insurance board.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I hired a asset appraiser for 300 bucks and he came up with a report and number and we went from there. Geico got right after that.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by killerv
I hired a asset appraiser for 300 bucks and he came up with a report and number and we went from there. Geico got right after that.
This is the way. Same with homeowners insurance, they are only interested in paying the bare minimum and most people fall for it .
Asset appraisal for auto claims and public adjusters for homeowners claims.

I probably hate insurance adjusters more than DMV employees...

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 19352012
Did they get ticketed?
No the other driver did not. She did not run the stop sign but claimed she thought my wife was making a right turn, she wasn't even in the turn lane.

The car is a 2021 Ford Fusion in excellent condition and 64 k miles. Anywhere we find them for sale around here they're 20k to 22k for a comparable car. First offer was $15725.00 now they offered $17254.00. Adjuster is trying to blow smoke up my butt I think.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Never accept an insurance companies first offer.
Do you're own research. Come up with your own comps and make your counter offer based on that.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
"My (back- - - -knee- - - - -shoulder- - - -head, - - - -etc.) is starting to hurt. Maybe I should consult with my doctor"

The settlement offer will increase dramatically.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 264mag, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,367
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.