Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
The only thing I never wanted was a .270. Not because of anybody, but because I had an '06 and a 7x57 and just felt no need. I have two .270s, one because it was a Wal-mart left-over screaming deal on a Ruger #1, the other because it belonged to Dad's good friend and neighbor, and I bought it from his widow. And both have proven me correct. I didn't want a .270, because I had that area well covered.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootinurse
The only thing I never wanted was a .270. Not because of anybody, but because I had an '06 and a 7x57 and just felt no need. I have two .270s, one because it was a Wal-mart left-over screaming deal on a Ruger #1, the other because it belonged to Dad's good friend and neighbor, and I bought it from his widow. And both have proven me correct. I didn't want a .270, because I had that area well covered.
I can't believe Walmart had a Ruger #1. Wild

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
They had two. A .243 and a .270. I was late for the .243 (another chambering I never wanted) but I basically stole the .270 eight months later.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Orerancher
Anything chambered in an AR....

So just like 150+ different cartridges. Check. wink

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by ingwe
.270 and 6.5 creed Gay and gayer...

7mm Rem mag.Never heard anything but it producing seemingly magical results, and have never EVER seen anyone shoot one proficiently. They bought it cause Uncle Charlie said its a lightning bolt, and are obviously afraid of the recoil.They shoulda bought the .270 instead.

I’ve never been prouder to say I’ve never fooled with a 7mag.

These two posts could’ve been posted by me! The 270 is actually a fine little cartridge……but, Jack O’Conner ruined any chance of me ever having one! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If the designer of said cartridge did a pizz poor job, then, yes, a person can ruin a cartridge for me. Otherwise, no.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Can't believe that in 12 pages the 30-30 was only mentioned once and that was in passing. All my life my two BIL shouted from the pulpit all you need is a thutty-thutty and I heard more of it from the woods crowd in MS. I loved the rifles but couldn't bear having one because of their chatter. Now 70 years later I finally own two and a 32 Special. I may try and kill a deer with one this year just to say I did. Otherwise, my favorite is the 300 Savage, 6.5 Swede, and the 25-06. All that really matters is a good bullet going around 2700 fps placed where it oughta be.

All said I never had a 270, 30-06, or 308 either until last year. I may hunt with the 270 and the 308 as it and 06 are left handed. Can't carry them all to the woods though.

A final note on the 25-06. I just about gave up on it became of the Sierra Gamekings I persisted in using because they were the most accurate. They were also the lousiest performing blowing up when you needed toughness. I finally found my way with Noslers and Hornady Interlocks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well the 30-30 certainly was never going to be mentioned by me because it's my personal favorite

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by moosemike
Well the 30-30 certainly was never going to be mentioned by me because it's my personal favorite
It is for many....they just won't admit it just like me I had a prejudice because of all the rants about it. I was raised in the open prairies and tended toward more of the 6mm/25-06 so stuck to that mentality until the last decade or so. But I've watched the 30-30 do its thing and yep its a good one to have.

I

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Your a loser for owning a 270win. I'm so sorry you have such a POS No.1 must be real tough owning it. That's like me winning the Powerball😁😁😁

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Caplock
Originally Posted by moosemike
It is for many....they just won't admit it just like me I had a prejudice because of all the rants about it. I was raised in the open prairies and tended toward more of the 6mm/25-06 so stuck to that mentality until the last decade or so. But I've watched the 30-30 do its thing and yep its a good one to have.

I

i was 13yo when i got my first rifle (1972 Winchester m94 top eject) i ever owned. i borrowed a Win 94 in 32 Win Special before i got the 30-30. i can't the number of deer it killed. i sent to JES Reboring and the m94 came back a 35/30-30. i have killed 3 deer with that rifle.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A good number of Creediots have some of the biggest mouths and attitudes out here about how the 6.5 Creedmoor is the most modern, most accurate long range cartridge ever designed, like ever man !

I've offered to do a shootout at 1 mile, from one hilltop to another, both dressed in blaze orange and stand wide open while we take turns with shots at one another,

I even offered to let them take the first shot at me with their superior long range modern marvel 6.5 Creedmoor with the ELDM or ELDX "super high" bc modern super bullets, their choice

My choice was gonna be the super hard recoiling hard to shoot accurately useless magnum 338 EDGE with 300 gr Berger OTM bullets

Not one of those Creediots have accepted the duel

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Swamplord, I don't know the people your talking to but you make that bet down here and by the 2nd or 3rd shot you would be dead, there are dozens of guy's that shoot 6.5 of one flavor another at mile regularly. you might want to rethink that deal. Rio7

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Swamplord
A good number of Creediots have some of the biggest mouths and attitudes out here about how the 6.5 Creedmoor is the most modern, most accurate long range cartridge ever designed, like ever man !

I've offered to do a shootout at 1 mile, from one hilltop to another, both dressed in blaze orange and stand wide open while we take turns with shots at one another,

I even offered to let them take the first shot at me with their superior long range modern marvel 6.5 Creedmoor with the ELDM or ELDX "super high" bc modern super bullets, their choice

My choice was gonna be the super hard recoiling hard to shoot accurately useless magnum 338 EDGE with 300 gr Berger OTM bullets

At the same time, anyone who remotely shares any of these thoughts must have schitttforbrains. You're shooting "challenge" has to be one of the most dumbasss things every posted here, and that's saying something. Not surprised it came from you, however.

Last edited by JGRaider; 09/26/23.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Another silly flex by Mr. Testosterone.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RIO7
Swamplord, I don't know the people your talking to but you make that bet down here and by the 2nd or 3rd shot you would be dead, there are dozens of guy's that shoot 6.5 of one flavor another at mile regularly. you might want to rethink that deal. Rio7

by "out here" I meant the local gundummies in my area who've been zombied to believe the Creed is a technologically supreme, long range ballistic missile, you don't even aim with it, just point in the general direction and fire, it's so accurate because the modern case design has the highest bc like no case ever invented before, and the 143 gr ELDX bullet has almost zero drop n drift out to one mile, perfect for elk past 1500

btw, all humor aside.. I'd never duel with PRS shooters or any comp shooters with any cartridge, it very unwise, ha !

I see the other two boomerds have no sense of humor, that old timers E.D. sure can sour a dudes mood, lmao !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sounds more like something a woman would do, making a decision based on emotions and feelings about what somebody else said.

If you say things like 'that cartridge is gay', I got news for you. It ain't the cartridge.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've never owned a .270. Not because the Campfire told me it's ghey, but because of the weird diameter - .277...WTH, where'd they get that number? Japan maybe, or so I read somewhere.

I've also never had a 7 mag, and that is partly because of bias. By my observations, they're often fielded by the clueless. Kinda like my uncle's drunk buddy who showed up to deer camp back in the '70's with one of those big ol' Western W49 Bowies on his belt. Big hardware, no idea how to employ it or whether it's appropriate to the task.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by chesterpulley
I've never owned a .270. Not because the Campfire told me it's ghey, but because of the weird diameter - .277...WTH, where'd they get that number? Japan maybe, or so I read somewhere.

Would like to know where you read that, because it's BS.

One reason Winchester decided on .277" is because at the time there were a bunch of Mexican military Mausers in 7x57 available for pretty cheap prices, especially in the Southwest. There were also some Remington Rolling Blocks in 7x57, which couldn't take much pressure.

Winchester guessed that if the bullet of their cartridge was a "real" 7mm some of those rifles would be rechambered to their new round. (They'd also developed a similar cartridge with a .287" diameter bullet for a new bolt rifle they planned to introduce in Europe in 1912, but WWI interfered. Instead they waited until 1925 to introduce the .270 in the Model 54.)

You can read about much of this in the 1999 book W.R.A Co., Headstamped Cartridges and The Variations, Volume I, by Daniel L. Shuey.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by chesterpulley

Would like to know where you read that, because it's BS.

I don't recall where it was, I'm going to have to do some digging (based on your response I'm going to say definitively that it wasn't one of your articles grin). Your explanation makes a lot more sense than the Nippon connection theory. Thanks for the heads-up on the title, sounds like something pertinent to my interests.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 67 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,536
Posts18,472,786
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.