-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First off, I'm going to speak of heresy . For a hunting rifle 1 1/2' group is bloody accurate. I suggest you shoot for the first time of the day offhand at a 100 yards. Just how close were you to the bull's eye? Enough reality. I like trying to make precision ammo, not for hunting, just to try to attain that exact measurement. Machinists will understand that perfectly. Heck, they have been known to use a machinist's level to hang pictures.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot daily,because I like to. Nothing is warmer or fuzzier than rugged reliability. Hint.

I enjoy all The Snake Oil Bullschit,peddled by Charlitans hoping to snag a nickle,as it's never not funnier than fhuqk! These are THE Good Old Days,as exemplary componetry abounds,regarding projectiles,brass and dies...amongst a host of other wares. Pass the Alpha or Lapua and hold The Fhuqking Fluff. Last I counted,I had over 150 sets of dies and have only shot 100's of rifles. I couldn't even fhuqking begin to count the Customs alone. Hint.

Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Not much to it. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good tools produce great results. One of those tools is the brain in your head. The changes I made to up my load game with precision tools were worth every penny. Since doing so, I do not check runout any more. My dies are reliable & repeatable and …”that’s the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it, uh huh uh huh.”

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Newest rifle and this morning was first time I shot it,with but (1) charge weight,(1) bullet and (1) COAL. Forming cases too boot and magfed. Boresighted at 50yds,shot once and gunned a Hasty 100yd Trio. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Not much to it(ever). Hint................

Impressive 👍🏼

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I swear I saw stainless PPC Sakos advertised a couple decades back and always said I'd buy one. But never seen one in real life. Maybe it's time to go blued and scratch that old itch.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Its amazing how this topic can make so many so very butthurt. And when somebody has experience different than theirs, they really take offense.

I have a confession to make. I didn't know what runout even was when I started competitive shooting. I shot a couple of of 1,000 yard groups that were better than some of the 100 yard groups I've seen posted online. I have a couple rounds of ammo I had loaded for that old long-gone barrel and runout would make the naysayers clutch their pearls.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dznnf7
I swear I saw stainless PPC Sakos advertised a couple decades back and always said I'd buy one. But never seen one in real life. Maybe it's time to go blued and scratch that old itch.

I Wouldn't Fhuqking Linger. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
More than hand loading involved. You’re putting the carriage in front of the horse

Last edited by anothergun; 10/01/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Higginez
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Sure...necks are anealed, I do this after every firing, air cooled. I find anealing helps with consistant bullet steat depth. I also find that before sizeing and pulling the case over the expander ball, I use a very LIGHT lube of Imperial wax, applied with a cotton swab,to lube inside of the neck..then the outside of the case. Over the years, I`ve gotten a "feel" for this. Thoses who have it know. what I`m endvering to do is keep the case concentrict. I wipe the outside of the case clean, then into the trimmer. Mostly because of the pressures I run, and how I have my die set up, this only requires a touch up. After sizing, and this is step is I think, important, I put a very good champher on the inside ot the neck, then outside. I then take OOO steelwool and polish the champher, getting it smooth for the seating process. Prime and fill. The case goes into the press, I sellect a bullet at of 20, that have already been chosen for consistant BTO, place on the neck and guided into the seat die with my fingers. I then run the case and bullet up to meet the seat stem. When I contact the stem, I stop, and GENTLY, using my fingers, lift the press handle just a little and drop it on the bullet, GENTLY, several times. If you can picture this, what I`m doing is aligning bullet, die stem and case. Should you do this a bit ,you can feel the process. I do Not start the seating process until I`ve done this. Start the bullet down the case neck about half way, turn case 1/2 turn and complete the seat. Check bullet seat depth.

I`ve never checked my run out.

This sounds very time consuming but is really not. Just part of my process, and goes quickly.

YMMV

Holy schidt that's funny!
Lots a funny [bleep] in this thread, I didn’t realize how hard people make simple things

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was asked a question, I answered it. I didn`t say my way was the only way. I`ve found the process I developed works to my satisfaction, and I`m the only person I need to keep happy.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I noticed on my set up for measuring neck run out in the wrong place, on the outside of the neck. While my brass is decent, <.001" variation, that's still possibly a thou. Next time I'll use dial test indicator inside the neck.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I noticed on my set up for measuring neck run out in the wrong place, on the outside of the neck. While my brass is decent, <.001" variation, that's still possibly a thou. Next time I'll use dial test indicator inside the neck.

Measure on the ogive of the loaded round.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was asked a question, I answered it. I didn`t say my way was the only way. I`ve found the process I developed works to my satisfaction, and I`m the only person I need to keep happy.

Sure got that right.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Sure got that right.

Yup

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,062
Posts18,482,445
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.