T
Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Interesting. That was from Lapua directly. I’d be curious to see several of each side by side.
Yeah, been trying to find the other post where I put up the pics and measurements - might have to redo it. The hollowpoint hole on the L being smaller is the one thing that worried me a little, though my buddy's bighorn a couple pages back was with the L and it worked fine.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16915437/re-scenar-l#Post16915437
That's it - thank you Brother.
Rex

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have heard of guys opening up the tip on the scenar. I know it has been discussed on a different thread. here is a trick that involves altering the base. Thought I would post it for some guys that like to tweak things a little.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I may have posted some of these in the past few years, but here are just a few of some of the animals me/family/close friends have killed with scenars...Most of them being 150 grain out of the 7 mag at 3150. Lots of 139grain kills out of various 6.5 creeds as well. Scenars are bone crushers, they break bone, exit, and kill animals dead...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

image hosting without registration

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Last edited by Hiaring8; 09/29/23.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't care what bullet you use your gonna find people that think it sucks! Just doesn't matter!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MHWASH
This "hunt" consisted of several firsts for me. First Fall bear I've killed, first animal with a .308, first 155 Scenar kill. It wasn't much of a hunt as we were driving around on the SxS looking for grouse. This 150# field dressed sow ran across the road in front of us and stopped at 100 or so yards. The shot was quartering away and exited between the front legs. Exit wound was about 2". I've been involved with a lot of spring bear kills the last few years and have never seen a blood trail so soon or as good as this one. I tracked the bear about 60 yards were I found her trying to climb a tree. I put another one in her broadside at about 30 yards, 1" exit wound. I will use this combo for the rest of the fall, hopefully with more success.

This one was killed with the 155 L.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just grabbed a nice stash of 30 cal 155gr Lapua Scenars. After 40 pages of this thread I can't be happier I did. I had no idea it is such a great hunting bullet. This might call for a wet newsprint bullet expansion test

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Hiaring8

Thanks for posting. Definitely the bullet of choice for me in my 6.5 PRC. Those pics are reassurance that the 139 is a killer.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
Just grabbed a nice stash of 30 cal 155gr Lapua Scenars. After 40 pages of this thread I can't be happier I did. I had no idea it is such a great hunting bullet. This might call for a wet newsprint bullet expansion test

Why a test? The work has already been done, proof tested & corroborated by so many.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Why a test? The work has already been done, proof tested & corroborated by so many.

But..but.. I'm a test and development engineer by trade and I test everything. I will agree that it looks like we have a fabulous hunting bullet here. I did get out to the range for an initial accuracy test and these 30 cal 155 Scenar-L's (actual weight is 154.7grs) printed a 200 yd 5-shot group of 0.67" for 0.32 MOA precision from my target 308 Win single shot. I immediately bought out my friend's remaining supply and then I find this thread. Ode to the 24 hour Campfire. Testing all hunting bullets I use is always on my to-do list. I've tested everything from Barnes TTSX to Core-lokts to Win PP, and cast lead bullets. Most of these have well proven performance, but it's always interesting to see how they do with the exact load used in the field

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you want to shoot newspaper and it makes you happy, why not.

I test mine on elk each year and have been doing so for quite a number of years. I actually have forgotten to take pictures a number of times, or it was so cold my phone/camera was dead, which is typical on December hunts in sub zero temps. Since I just tend to shoot cows anyways and fill the freezer, I am usually more interested in getting them quartered up and back to the truck, more than anything else. Bottom line though, the Scenars have been extremely consistent for me.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A wet newsprint test will allow the bullet to be tested at three useful speeds: low impact velocity, ie 1500 - 1800 fps (long range speed), mid range 2200 - 2400 fps typical for nominal range impacts (308 Win speaking), and high speed at close range, that is, close to 3000 fps min for this segment.

No doubt this is a hunting bullet, and they work very well, but how well? Hard to say when they zip out the other side and get lost.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28

But..but.. I'm a test and development engineer by trade and I test everything. I will agree that it looks like we have a fabulous hunting bullet here. I did get out to the range for an initial accuracy test and these 30 cal 155 Scenar-L's (actual weight is 154.7grs) printed a 200 yd 5-shot group of 0.67" for 0.32 MOA precision from my target 308 Win single shot. I immediately bought out my friend's remaining supply and then I find this thread. Ode to the 24 hour Campfire. Testing all hunting bullets I use is always on my to-do list. I've tested everything from Barnes TTSX to Core-lokts to Win PP, and cast lead bullets. Most of these have well proven performance, but it's always interesting to see how they do with the exact load used in the field

I should have been more "pacific" (as my Uncle would say). I thought you were questioning the terminal efficacy. Load development is a requirement.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Small 5x4

Rifle CA Ridgeline FFT .308 Suppressed

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Cow elk

Rifle. CA Ridgline FFT .308 Suppressed

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
If you want to shoot newspaper and it makes you happy, why not.

I test mine on elk each year and have been doing so for quite a number of years. I actually have forgotten to take pictures a number of times, or it was so cold my phone/camera was dead, which is typical on December hunts in sub zero temps. Since I just tend to shoot cows anyways and fill the freezer, I am usually more interested in getting them quartered up and back to the truck, more than anything else. Bottom line though, the Scenars have been extremely consistent for me.

I pressed the like button!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Filled this year's Coues tag Monday evening with a 155 grain .308 loaded to 3085 fps MV in my Pre64 30-06 featherweight. The impact velocity at 407 yards should have been right around 2400 fps. The upward shot angle exit included the top of the off side shoulder blade and there was a lot of expansion prior to that. A sample of one, but very happy with the bullet performance.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MikeS
Filled this year's Coues tag Monday evening with a 155 grain .308 loaded to 3085 fps MV in my Pre64 30-06 featherweight. The impact velocity at 407 yards should have been right around 2400 fps. The upward shot angle exit included the top of the off side shoulder blade and the was a lot of expansion prior to that. A sample of one, but very happy with the bullet performance.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice darned buck! I am going to have to try them in my 308.. Too many of you all have had such awesome results with them in 308's.

Congrats on the buck and great shooting and cool darned rifle!

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks beretzs, they make for a fun hunt!

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Page 40 of 44 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.