Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I just about got run over by a cow being chased by a horny, sub-legal bull in my driveway a couple of days ago. My neighbor got a forked horn bull on his property during the season. We'd seen that bull in the driveway mid-summer. We went into the Brushkana drainage early in the season. We saw no bulls.

NRA Life Endowment Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a half a moose in the freezer, as in he was only about half grown. Like the Lord of the Swamp, I've got a bunch of Jalapeno cheese dogs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
We do winter moose hunts… I know guys that hunted delta for 5 days they saw 5 cows with no calf’s. Area biologist told them winter kill was pretty bad. So take that for what it’s worth.
Delta took a hit these past two winters. I didn't bother with moose because of it. While on my morning crane/goose hunt, I saw two different cow/calf pairs where I'd have seen two dozen two years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well this is the 2nd time in 35 years ..no moose for me seen about 7 cows...at least the 1 time I got no moose I seen bulls but they gave me the slip... f&g move the season around ..
close on the 15th ..way to many leaves... they must have run the numbers with the season closing on the 20th seemed to work better ..for me. This year the leaves are still mostly on the trees..

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
W
WMR Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I was interested to see the replies as I’ve got a fly in drop hunt planned for 2024. It’s in the interior and I’ve heard the population is down. Regardless, sooner is better than later as my age is starting to be a factor for moose packing. Father Time is undefeated. He never takes a day off. Any other observations would be welcomed, and thanks to those who have already posted.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Saw a paddle bull crossing the road in front of me this morning. I was headed to Soldotna, he was headed to the golf course.we both made it.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just had 7 caribou walk down the road.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Some co-workers of my wife were hunting near Tustemena Lake. Nothing during season, but the day after season Bill got up in his tree-stand and called " OK, moose, season is over - you can come out now!"

Out of the woods stepped a sub-legal bull about the size of the one of which I posted pics.

Bill was using an impact driver to remove bolts from the stand, and the bull came right in underneath, and stood peering up at the noise.

They have video. Wife has seen it, and told me.

Last edited by las; 09/30/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
We do winter moose hunts… I know guys that hunted delta for 5 days they saw 5 cows with no calf’s. Area biologist told them winter kill was pretty bad. So take that for what it’s worth.
I hunted near there for 14 days and saw more huge caribou bulls than I did moose. We saw maybe 10 different bulls in that timeframe, normally we'd see at least twice that many so the numbers of legal moose in our area definitely took a big hit from the previous 2 winters. Still had fun and saw plenty of game so there is hope for the future.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by 79S
I hunted near there for 14 days and saw more huge caribou bulls than I did moose. We saw maybe 10 different bulls in that timeframe, normally we'd see at least twice that many so the numbers of legal moose in our area definitely took a big hit from the previous 2 winters. Still had fun and saw plenty of game so there is hope for the future.

I suspect that wasn't the McComb caribou herd as did the DCUA sheep in that area......No official harvest numbers yet.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by snoeproe
We’re preparing for moose hunting in Canada. The bow hunters have been having success

Well, good on them.

Rut is getting underway around Oct 1. You eat those nasty things? I've killed a couple inedible rut bulls late in season (ends Sept 20 here, now, tho those two were taken in the Arctic, on Sept 29, and Nov 1 respectively - no idea, other than Native pressure, why F&G made those openings). It just isn't worth hunting them after about Sept 20, IMO, until at least mid November. Unless they are cow)

You might get an edible bull in late Sept to Nov 15 , but chances are, not. I've taken 21 or 22 bulls, the best ones were before Sept. 15th, the earlier the better.

Last edited by las; 10/04/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by 79S

I suspect that wasn't the McComb caribou herd as did the DCUA sheep in that area......No official harvest numbers yet.
No, they seemed to survive the past 2 winters just fine. Wish I would have went down for the 2 day atv hunt, I talked to a friend that did the walk-in hunt and he came out on the 26th and there were no vehicles parked there other than theirs. They didn't get a caribou but did take a nice 7.5 ft grizzly.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,945
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.