Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 141 of 150 1 2 139 140 141 142 143 149 150
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The same shop took in two more Remington pumps today. A 141 carbine in .30 Remington & a 141 in .35 Remington. They were both in great condition but the carbine was almost perfect until I saw the broken butt plate and a thin crack in the stock. The first gun I ever bought there was a 141 in .35 Rem.

I need to do more trading and less buying.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What always surprised me was how light and responsive my uncles .30 Remington m14 and my buddy’s .32 Remington m14 felt compared to the m141 .35 Remington that I had. That 141 was sure a chunk of steel imo and had a barrel about 2-4 inches longer than I thought it should have been. Making it into a carbine just made it into a shorter chunk.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Northern_Jim
The same shop took in two more Remington pumps today. A 141 carbine in .30 Remington & a 141 in .35 Remington. They were both in great condition but the carbine was almost perfect until I saw the broken butt plate and a thin crack in the stock. The first gun I ever bought there was a 141 in .35 Rem.

I need to do more trading and less buying.

Depending on the price of that 141 carbine, you might reconsider walking away. Very few were made, 150-250 according to authorities on them. Article here: https://www.remingtonsociety.org/remington-model-141-carbines/

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got one of mine ready to roll for this yr. Last time I shot it with a Skinner Lo-Pro sight, it put 4 at a little over 1.5", 3 shot was just under an inch at 100.

Sent that back and paid the difference for a Skinner Express because I goofed and didn't realize my front sight wasn't dovetailed in so wasn't windage adjustable, and the Lo-Pro obviously is not. My fault.

The express peep sits at the right distance for my eyes. Took a couple shots to get it sighted in at 50 then went to a 100 yd target. Tad high but I'll probably leave it alone. 4 shot is just under 1.25", 3 shot just under 3/4". Probably about as good as I can do anymore. It likes this load, that's good because I got a crap ton of those Sierra 150's.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Got one of mine ready to roll for this yr. Last time I shot it with a Skinner Lo-Pro sight, it put 4 at a little over 1.5", 3 shot was just under an inch at 100.

Sent that back and paid the difference for a Skinner Express because I goofed and didn't realize my front sight wasn't dovetailed in so wasn't windage adjustable, and the Lo-Pro obviously is not. My fault.

The express peep sits at the right distance for my eyes. Took a couple shots to get it sighted in at 50 then went to a 100 yd target. Tad high but I'll probably leave it alone. 4 shot is just under 1.25", 3 shot just under 3/4". Probably about as good as I can do anymore. It likes this load, that's good because I got a crap ton of those Sierra 150's.

Now that is a winner ST! Awesome shooting buddy!

Semper Fi
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by beretzs

Now that is a winner ST! Awesome shooting buddy!

Thanks bud. At 53 with all the things that I can tell I'm no longer 18, it makes me feel good I can still manage to shoot decent with irons. For now anyhow.

My eyes of course cannot begin to pick up that red circle at 100 yds, that was just for a reference for POI after I got it on the bullseye at 50. All I can do is line up center of the paper.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’s pretty fun to get on irons now and again. I can still pickup the front blade fine. I’ll take all I can.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Windfall
What always surprised me was how light and responsive my uncles .30 Remington m14 and my buddy’s .32 Remington m14 felt compared to the m141 .35 Remington that I had. That 141 was sure a chunk of steel imo and had a barrel about 2-4 inches longer than I thought it should have been. Making it into a carbine just made it into a shorter chunk.

The Model 141 rifles have a 2" longer barrel and physically larger/heavier wood, so they feel different from the Model 14 rifles. I don't know if the changes improved the rifle or not, as the 141s don't seem as handy or as naturally pointing as the 14s do to me.

John Wooters had a 141 with the barrel cut back to just forward of the front of the magazine tube that I always liked the look of and thought about doing that back when nice 141s were easy to find for under $350. I have a really nice 141 in 35 REM that is nearly mint and original, except for the receiver having been d&t for a receiver sight, even with the two non-factory holes it seems like too nice a rifle to booger up any more.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
What is the going rate on m760 BDL 's in 30-06 the model with the basket weave checkering and Monte Carlo.? It also has the little hump in the receiver with weaver bases, rings and old k-4 micro trac. Looks like 85 -90 % original condition. Input appreciated..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 10/04/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You all are gonna make me buy a pump deer rifle.😊

IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L

I have 7600 Carbine with a monte carlo stock. I've always wanted to put a peep sight on it, but heard that a lot of guys don't like using them with the higher comb. Do you wish it had a straight comb?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
What is the going rate on m760 BDL 's in 30-06 the model with the basket weave checkering and Monte Carlo.? It also has the little hump in the receiver with weaver bases, rings and old k-4 micro trac. Looks like 85 -90 % original condition. Input appreciated..mb
Those BDLs in 3006 seem to go 6-800 lately. Add $100 for a GB premium. Personally IDK if I like the square forearms and Monte Carlo stocks, It seems like Remington was trying to bridge the gap between pumps and bolt actions with that one.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bbassi
Personally IDK if I like the square forearms and Monte Carlo stocks, It seems like Remington was trying to bridge the gap between pumps and bolt actions with that one.

I don't like them at all and have passed on quite a few at a decent price. No use in owning a gun you don't like. I'm not sure the reasoning on that forearm piece for those few years.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by bbassi
Personally IDK if I like the square forearms and Monte Carlo stocks, It seems like Remington was trying to bridge the gap between pumps and bolt actions with that one.

I don't like them at all and have passed on quite a few at a decent price. No use in owning a gun you don't like. I'm not sure the reasoning on that forearm piece for those few years.

Totally agree with your assessment, Tom.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Windfall

The Model 141 rifles have a 2" longer barrel and physically larger/heavier wood, so they feel different from the Model 14 rifles. I don't know if the changes improved the rifle or not, as the 141s don't seem as handy or as naturally pointing as the 14s do to me.

John Wooters had a 141 with the barrel cut back to just forward of the front of the magazine tube that I always liked the look of and thought about doing that back when nice 141s were easy to find for under $350. I have a really nice 141 in 35 REM that is nearly mint and original, except for the receiver having been d&t for a receiver sight, even with the two non-factory holes it seems like too nice a rifle to booger up any more.

While I don’t have a Model 14 (yet) to compare, the difference in handling between my 141 rifle and carbine are night and day. I have a feeling the straight grip stock on a 14 carbine would make it feel even lighter/livelier.

Last edited by tmitch; 10/05/23.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Leatherneck

I have 7600 Carbine with a monte carlo stock. I've always wanted to put a peep sight on it, but heard that a lot of guys don't like using them with the higher comb. Do you wish it had a straight comb?

My 7600 308 has the Monte Carlo stock with a peep site and I have long been meaning to replace the stock with a low comb stock. Been years since I’ve shot the rifle and this thread was the thread that broke the camels back. Have an 870 20 gauge buttstock in my midway cart now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Leatherneck

To be honest I never even thought about it. Shouldering it up it's not like I have to move my head around at all to make things line up. Possibly have to burrow in a little harder on the stock than I would with a straight stock I don't know. Like I said it hadn't occurred to me because it seems to be on point.

Not to be a smart aleck and none of us can help how we're made, but I suppose if a fella had a big head with more distance between his cheekbone and eye the monte carlo type stock might not feel natural with a peep.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've tried everything, well almost:

1) Straight (old style) comb iron sights ("Iron sights" meaning an aperture sight of some sort, usually a Skinner or Williams)
2) Straight comb scoped.
3) Raised comb iron sights
4) Raised comb scope.

So over the years I've winnowed things down a bit and have eliminated #3 "Raised Comb, Iron Sights": Just too complicated. The main problem being the sights don't naturally align when you raise to present.

Still open on the others. Surprisingly with low mounted scope the old straight comb does OK, which I was not expecting.

My main problem is a failing left (weak side) shoulder which increasingly makes painful a crisp pumping action, but that's a whole different issue.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
My 7600 carbine was bought new in 2019. At that time Hal Blood of Big Woods Bucks was working with Remington tweaking the 7600. I have owned 4 or 5 in the past and they never fit me right, and were awkward with a scope. I always loved the idea, but for me they fell short. In ‘19 I decided to try again. I mounted a 1.5-5 Leupold and it carried like a dream and pointed like my index finger. I don’t know what they did, the stock has a little more drop I think than previous models, but for me they got it right. This year I mounted a 1-4x24 Trijicon and it improved the balance and pointing more.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

Page 141 of 150 1 2 139 140 141 142 143 149 150

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.