Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Scenario: You're hunting Elk with the only rifle you own, an accurate 25-06 loaded with 115 Berger VLD started at 3135 fps. You have a very nice 6x6 Bull across the canyon at 400 yards, no detectable wind, and not enough daylight left to attempt to get closer. You taking the shot? Or letting him walk

This is your shot angle.. Post your thoughts, I'll post the decision that was made after a while.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

EDIT:

Here is the full video. This is my youngest boy (18) on the gun. Featherweight6555 absolutely nailed it!

Last edited by 2five7; 10/09/23.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm gonna hold for bullet impact @ about 4:30 (oclcock ) right on that dark brown to light brown transition area. The if my aim is true I'm getting out my skinning knife. YMMV.
Flame away.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m taking it. Hope you did as well. That’s a dandy bull.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hmm, I've used my 25-06 with the 115 Berger VLD at about 3150 fps on mule deer out to 400 yards with excellent results.

But this is a bull elk, quartering towards the shooter, and the daylight is fading... I do believe I'd wait a bit, hoping for a more broadside shot.

It is awfully tempting though... Good looking bull.

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in the process of working up a load for my 25-06 with the 115vld.

What powder are you guys using ?

TIA

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hicountry
I'm in the process of working up a load for my 25-06 with the 115vld.

What powder are you guys using ?

TIA

I've had good results with both Retumbo and IMR 8133. Sadly IMR 8133 is no longer available. I saw the 115 VLD average 3199 fps with good accuracy from IMR 8133.

Not much less with Retumbo though.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WELL............................WE'RE WAITING?

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
1st i don`t hunt with a 25-06 and never will i have 257 Weatherby mag. rifl, my handloads and with a my bi-pod on my rifle prone or sitting 400 yards is a easy shot on a big animal with my rifle. i use 103 gr. Hammer bullets at 3680 FPS average . i am basically 500 FPS faster, but a 25-06 is still a fine cartridge for some hunters to use. Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 10/09/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My friend in Rapid City, South Dakota hunts elk with his 25-06 loaded with 117 grain Nosler Partition bullets. He has never lost an animal yet but his shots are always less than 250 yards. Your scenario of 400 yards is an extremely long shot even for a skilled rifleman. I would pass up because of the distance.

My elk rifle is a Savage 99 in .308 and I've had very good luck with 180 grain Core-lokt ammo. Longest shot for me was about 225 yards.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About a foot below his chin would break the spine where it goes in between the shoulder blades. However, it's only a 115 gr bullet and canyons often have unfelt wind currents. A couple inches to either side would be a disaster.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Assuming I can get a good prone position, my shot placement would be right up that left front leg to about mid-body. Which very well might mean the front of the scapula is in the way. May or may not be an issue. He looks alert — ready to bolt…or is he going to calm down and go back to feeding in a moment or two…I’d hesitate a bit to see if he moves more favorably.

Then confirm wind one more time.

All hypothetical as I wouldn’t be elk hunting with Bergers as a first choice.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I do my homework on shooting to that distance so I take the shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would with a TTSX or Accubond but not with the Berger. I have seen first hand what they do when they hit bone and it is messy to say the least. That was on antelope. Elk are far tougher than antelope.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Assuming I can get a good prone position, my shot placement would be right up that left front leg to about mid-body. Which very well might mean the front of the scapula is in the way. May or may not be an issue. He looks alert — ready to bolt…or is he going to calm down and go back to feeding in a moment or two…I’d hesitate a bit to see if he moves more favorably.

Then confirm wind one more time.

All hypothetical as I wouldn’t be elk hunting with Bergers as a first choice.

Even if I were using my 338 Win. mag with suitable bullets I'm not so sure that's the shot I'd take. Assuming away any penetration issues, from the shot presentation in the picture it seems to me that point of impact would have the bullet traversing the "chest innards" farther back than I'd prefer. I'd like to land it a bit left, closer to where the dark collar meets the tan.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I would with a TTSX or Accubond but not with the Berger. I have seen first hand what they do when they hit bone and it is messy to say the least. That was on antelope. Elk are far tougher than antelope.

There's a lot of merit to this. I like the VLD, but not sure that a 115 gr Berger VLD is the right choice for bull elk quartering towards.. Might end up hitting the shoulder bone, and I'm not sure that the Berger is going to provide enough penetration... I would feel better about the Barnes TTSX in this situation.

Guy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’d already be walking across the canyon to try to get a hero pic with my bull before I lose the light.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you really think he isn't going to take a step or two and give a better shot?
I'd give it a little bit, but what do I know.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Interesting scenario. Enough daylight to get to the animal after the shot?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I shot my bull last week with a 338, 225 grain AB. Cross canyon shot at 350 yards. Damn glad I wasn’t shooting the load you referenced.

Edited to add my congrats to a fine shot.

Last edited by Godogs57; 10/09/23.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OP edited with the video and a pic. There was never any doubt as to whether or not we take the shot, I've seen what those little Bergers do when they are placed in the chest cavity, and yes, they will break an elk shoulder.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
With a Berger, probably not.

I don't do neck shots, but I can see a Berger getting the job done if I placed it under his chin.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 2five7
OP edited with the video and a pic. There was never any doubt as to whether or not we take the shot, I've seen what those little Bergers do when they are placed in the chest cavity, and yes, they will break an elk shoulder.

I saw the dark collar twitch right at the 12 second mark. Where exactly did the bullet enter?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice shot, nice bull!

Cool video.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice shooting and cool video

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Along time ago (1994) I had roughly the same shot on a 6x6 bull a little more quartering on slight angle downhill at 140 yds. I held for a spine shot that took out several vertebrate and dropped the bull on the spot. I was shooting a m70 300 win mag and 180 gr npt's. Congrats to your son but you shouldn't be teaching him stunt shooting, that's how I see that shot with a 25-06. You asked..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Nice shot. Well done. Yes I believe I too would have taken that shot.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Looks to me like perfect shot placement. Well done.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
OUTSTANDING!

Very nicely done.

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mathman

I saw the dark collar twitch right at the 12 second mark. Where exactly did the bullet enter?

Yep, right at the color change, halfway up the chest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great shot and cool video. What was he using for optics? Holdover, turrets, or reticle hold?

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Yep, right at the color change, halfway up the chest.

I figured that location would give a good track through the "chest innards" given the presentation angle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sherwood
400 yards is an extremely long shot even for a skilled rifleman.

Say what?.......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Scenario: You're hunting Elk with the only rifle you own, an accurate 25-06 loaded with 115 Berger VLD started at 3135 fps. You have a very nice 6x6 Bull across the canyon at 400 yards, no detectable wind, and not enough daylight left to attempt to get closer. You taking the shot? Or letting him walk

This is your shot angle.. Post your thoughts, I'll post the decision that was made after a while.

EDIT:

Here is the full video. This is my youngest boy (18) on the gun. Featherweight6555 absolutely nailed it!

I would crush him where he stood, just like your son did with that combo. With a prone rest, that is a slam dunk shot. Zero issues. Most have never shot a VLD into a big game animal, likely many commenting on this thread I suspect....

Great job all around in that video. Super congrats....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by GregW

EDIT:

I would crush him where he stood, just like your son did with that combo. With a prone rest, that is a slam dunk shot. Zero issues. Most have never shot a VLD into a big game animal, likely many commenting on this thread I suspect....

Great job all around in that video. Super congrats....

i have used Berger VLD bullets on big game with my rifle cartridge a 257 Weatherby mag. is to fast for that brand bullet, > Nosler Partitions , Swift A-Frame and Hammer bullets have worked better for my rifle cartridge on big game . but congrats to the hunter !

Last edited by pete53; 10/09/23.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep. Dead. Great shooting and awesome bull!

Todd

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've taken the same shot on a bull at 600 but had a 30 caliber. It's a devastating shot.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Congrats to the young man.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I personally have had less than desirable results with bergers and elk shoulders but they sure work well for some people, yourself included so rock on.

Big congrats to your son. That is bigger than my biggest bull.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Beautiful shot. Great bull.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to argue with results like that. What did the post-mortem show for damage?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Hard to argue with results like that. What did the post-mortem show for damage?

Soup innards, likely shrapnel exits. Busted both shoulders or at least entry dependent on angle. Entire gut cavity filled up. No heartbeat 20 seconds after shot.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

EDIT:

I would let one rip.
Thats a 25-06 doing what it was intended to do, and so is the well trained shooter, Very well done both of you!!

I was too a little hesitant on a 25-06 and elk. It is not the caliber I would choose for a full time wapiti whopper, but in open country, long range where one can be absolute on shot placement....zero flies on the 25-06 with bullets intended for big game.

Seen it done first hand by my wife with looked to be less light than the video. We shot 100 partitions killing elk with a single bullet but have moved up to the 110 accubond because of availability at the time.

Well done again to the both of you!!

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks like it all worked out as intended, and a great experience for the young hunter.

Lots of practice paid off.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JPro
Great shot and cool video. What was he using for optics? Holdover, turrets, or reticle hold?

Buriss Veracity 3-15x50, Dialed 4.5 MOA from his 100 yard zero.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

This is your shot angle.. Post your thoughts,

I'm letting him walk. Even if it works, as it apparently did, there are way too many things that can go wrong leading to crippling and losing an animal with the specific conditions you list. Kid seemingly did everything right but he still only had a 50/50 chance of good results. I'll offer my heartfelt congratulations but at the same time, I would not have pulled the trigger .. MY ethics.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by T_O_M

I'm letting him walk. Even if it works, as it apparently did, there are way too many things that can go wrong leading to crippling and losing an animal with the specific conditions you list. Kid seemingly did everything right but he still only had a 50/50 chance of good results. I'll offer my heartfelt congratulations but at the same time, I would not have pulled the trigger .. MY ethics.

Tom

50/50 chance of good results you say? Interesting.

Congratulations awesome bull!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great video! Great bull !! Congrats to the young man on a really good shot at 400 yds. Everyone has their opinion on whether to shoot or not. The results speak.
Thanks for sharing!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i rewatched the video the young man made an excellent shot , i am sure he knew his rifle well. i see no reason not to take the shot this young man did very well and we should all congrats him . so here is another congrats ! nice shot i would have shot too. Pete53

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
400 is a poke on shooting sticks, especially if you've been hiking and have any kind of heavy breathing. If the scope on said rifle was at least 14 power or so it would make things easier. I'd like to say I'd shoot him in the chest. Part of me would want to shoot behind the shoulder and grab a lung and some liver. That 115 vld is a nasty bullet. Killed alot of stuff with it. But if you smack that shoulder bone or scapula, things could get hairy. Chest is definitely the shot there, he slipped it over the shoulder and terminated the respiratory system of that bull. He took out the central nervous system and blood supply to the heart and lungs with that one. I'd say the shot made was about as perfect as it could be. Dam good shot.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Great shot and great bull. Congrats.

“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”
-Townsend Whelen
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Coyote10
400 is a poke on shooting sticks, especially if you've been hiking and have any kind of heavy breathing. If the scope on said rifle was at least 14 power or so it would make things easier. I'd like to say I'd shoot him in the chest. Part of me would want to shoot behind the shoulder and grab a lung and some liver. That 115 vld is a nasty bullet. Killed alot of stuff with it. But if you smack that shoulder bone or scapula, things could get hairy. Chest is definitely the shot there, he slipped it over the shoulder and terminated the respiratory system of that bull. He took out the central nervous system and blood supply to the heart and lungs with that one. I'd say the shot made was about as perfect as it could be. Dam good shot.

I've helped find deer shot behind the shoulder even though the animal was quartering on. It's not a shot for me.

After the hit that elk moved pretty well for having his central nervous system taken out. grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Coyote10

I've helped find deer shot behind the shoulder even though the animal was quartering on. It's not a shot for me.

After the hit that elk moved pretty well for having his central nervous system taken out. grin

If you can shoot an animal behind the shoulder and pop lungs, why would you try anything else? Those lungs will bleed more than any other organ except the heart which is a 1/10 of the size. A quarter to on an elk is a totally different animal than a deer. Body mass and bones are way more dense.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With the quartering presentation shown I don't care for the tracking job such a behind the shoulder shot will likely entail. I would want to make the shot the shooter actually made, and if I didn't think I could I'd have to pass.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
With the quartering presentation shown I don't care for the tracking job such a behind the shoulder shot will likely entail. I would want to make the shot the shooter actually made, and if I didn't think I could I'd have to pass.

I'll track em. Don't matter to me. It's called hunting, not getting.
Ethics are a good quality to have. Terrible losing an animal because you made a poor decision. However, you have a rifle that is plenty capable of a 400 yard shot. Get the opportunity, which in this case is a good one, take it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That shot presentation and rifle/load combination wouldn't give me an instant of hesitation, and I've never shot a Berger of any sort at anything more than paper or steel. In fact, given the stationary critter, low-to-no wind, and great rest, there aren't many bottle-neck cases from the 223 on up that I WOULND'T use to make that shot.

Congratulations to the shooter and his "guide". I hope your taxidermist doesn't get after you for all those sand-burs. (grin)

I watched the video again, looks like there's an exit wound just behind the off-side rib-cage.

Last edited by horse1; 10/10/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I watched the video again, looks like there's an exit wound just behind the off-side rib-cage.

I noticed that spot too.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Anybody that shoots a critter BEHIND the shoulder on a quartering to angle needs a lesson in anatomy and shot placement.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Anybody that shoots a critter BEHIND the shoulder on a quartering to angle needs a lesson in anatomy and shot placement.

I've been over it many times with my nephews. Don't think about where on the surface you want to hit the animal. Think about what you want the projectile to go through and let that determine the desired point of impact.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What did the bullet hit?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

That animal is barely quartered. Bullet would exit last rib. Dead elk.
Also that 25-06 running 3150 is would eat that elk up. I'd tuck it directly behind the crease and let that berger imulsify that elk. Or on a quarter to, that shoulder bone below the scapula is forward of the actual shoulder. Heck, just drill him right behind the point of the shoulder if you don't wanna chest him.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

What did the bullet hit?

I don't believe he was referring to the actual shot that was made.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I've been over it many times with my nephews. Don't think about where on the surface you want to hit the animal. Think about what you want the projectile to go through and let that determine the desired point of impact.

This too.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If the elk in the video would have been shot BEHIND the shoulder we all would be having a different conversation, regardless of what caliber and bullet was used. As it were, the boy hit where he was supposed to.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
He hit him where I would have chosen.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If the elk in the video would have been shot BEHIND the shoulder we all would be having a different conversation, regardless of what caliber and bullet was used. As it were, the boy hit where he was supposed to.

Yep, behind the shoulder on that shot = maybe 1 lung, maybe liver, lots of guts. The only saving grace to shooting that critter at that angle behind the shoulder is that it might take him off his feet or hump him up enough to get a 2nd shot in him.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Very nice shot!

And outcome.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A most excellent video/ story/ post.

I enjoyed it.

I would just like to add to the conversation that the cow calling you did seemed most effective, I wouldn’t have figured at 400 yards it would have such a dramatic response.

Can you share what call you used.

Congratulations!

As a side note one day I had off years ago I spent a lot of time studying the Sierra reloading book. I was staying with a friend in Merril Oregon and he had the book….it’s ginormous.
That day I concluded the 25/06 was perhaps the best ballistic performer in that book ( non belted magnums).

I had a model 70 Ranger in 25/06 that my friend shot so well he had to buy it from me. Never replaced it, I still have the dies I think.

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/10/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve seen the 243 and 25-06 used a number of times on elk. Including accounting 3 myself 243. Both are plenty for elk.

Last edited by smallfry; 10/10/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Beautiful footage. Thank you!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Congrats to you and your son - well done (to both the instructor and pupil!!).

PennDog

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Angus1895
A most excellent video/ story/ post.

I enjoyed it.

I would just like to add to the conversation that the cow calling you did seemed most effective, I wouldn’t have figured at 400 yards it would have such a dramatic response.

Can you share what call you used.

Congratulations!

As a side note one day I had off years ago I spent a lot of time studying the Sierra reloading book. I was staying with a friend in Merril Oregon and he had the book….it’s ginormous.
That day I concluded the 25/06 was perhaps the best ballistic performer in that book ( non belted magnums).

I had a model 70 Ranger in 25/06 that my friend shot so well he had to buy it from me. Never replaced it, I still have the dies I think.

That call was a Steve Chapell Trophy Wife. I agree that the 25-06 is tough to beat from a performance vs. recoil standpoint, hits hard on the muzzle end, but not much on the butt end!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m probably picky when it comes to elk and bullets. I wouldn’t use that bullet. Good ballistic co-efficient but I wouldn’t trust it on other than a shot through the ribs/lungs.
At that range and that angle, I’d likely try to get closer and try to get a broad side shot. But I’d not be hunting elk with that combination at any rate - I’m probably picky.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Beautiful bull, and perfect shot placement. Hooray for the young man behind the trigger. Someone has been training him right.

I love the quick cow call and perfect timing of the shot as the bull hesitated. That IS the way HUNTING is done.

Back in the day, when I and my rifle were properly tuned, yes I would have taken the shot, and picked the same point of impact.

25-06? Back in the early '80s a friend of mine and his two brothers hunted elk on a large cattle ranch owned by their Dad and Uncle. They also had two buddies who hunted with them every year on their private elk paradise.

All five of the guys carried a 24 inch Ruger tang safety in 25-06. They used the Nosler solid base 120 gr over H4831........Until Barnes invented the X bullet. Then they all switched to the X.

The boys all limited out every year. I never heard about a lost bull. Had it happened, I would have heard.

I was so impressed with the performance of their guns, I purchased a Ruger in 25-06 just like theirs. It shot just as well, also. But, I still owned my "meat in the pot" 30-06. I never blooded the 25 except on ground squirrels and muskrats at extended range.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Great shot and great bull ! Knowing how my 25-06 shoots I would have taken the shot also.

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Post shot pic, the bull was on the hill opposite us. Yep, my baby boy is bigger than I am!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice shot, nice bull!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Awesome pic!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’d take the shot with my 25-06 & TTSX bullets. I think you have options on the bull. Neck, behind the shoulder & shot taken. Any modern bullet in the vitals or CNS or arteries will get a freezer full of elk burgers. Much nicer not to have a tracking job and practice at even longer ranges helps with those shots.

Congratulations to your son nice shooting by the young man. In my opinion if you have a strapping young lad like that get him a nice 300 Weatherby with 180 TTSX bullets as a dedicated elk gun and that shot is routine with no questions about angles needed. Save the 25-06 for deer hunting pigs, sheep & other less than 600 lb animals.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hay ! 2five 7 what a great picture of that small valley looks like a super spot to kill elk ! thanks for posting this last picture. good luck , stay safe ,Pete53

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Post shot pic, the bull was on the hill opposite us. Yep, my baby boy is bigger than I am!

Awesome! Where's that thumbs up emoji!
Kudos to that young man for some great shooting. Not hard to tell he has some trigger time.

" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
That shot presentation and rifle/load combination wouldn't give me an instant of hesitation

SAME.

Congrats to the lad – good shooting!

WWP53D
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
shot placement ? we all take the best shot available at that moment its not a paper target on a target frame and your not on a bench either . i think the youngman did just fine at least he had a bi-pod on his rifle , knew how to shoot and knew the distance to make the great one shot ! good job and congrats again ! Pete53

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Cool pic! Great country. Very similar to what we have always hunted. Except here, that yellow would have been quakie thickets.

I assume that must be tamarack turning yellow. We see very little tamarack around here. As wood cutters, we would have liked to find some.

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Cool pic! Great country. Very similar to what we have always hunted. Except here, that yellow would have been quakie thickets.

I assume that must be tamarack turning yellow. We see very little tamarack around here. As wood cutters, we would have liked to find some.
The yellow trees are all Quakies, we don't have any tamarack that I'm aware of.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Interesting. I would not have guessed quakies as tall and straight as they look. Ours look more like shrubs.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Could I make the shot, yes

Would I take the shot, no. (and 25-06 has zero to do with it)

Interesting response ratio here, not surprising, but interesting. Confirms all those echoing shot volleys I hear off in the distance.

My personal observations are that 90+% of hunters would be incapable of making that shot.
My personal observations are that way over 90% of hunters will take that shot anyway.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Big congrats to both of you. Beautiful Bull elk. Perfect shot placement. What an awesome experience to have with your son. Memories of a lifetime for the both of you.

Dad, another congrats for you too. Its obvious that your boy has had lots of trigger time and was comfortable making a 400yd shot with his rig. From watching the video it appears that he has been well coached and your instructions were spot on. Great job. I'm sure if there was any question about the rifle/scope combo, the bullet used, his capability or the distance, You would not have instructed him to take the shot.

OUTSTANDING.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by llamalover2
Could I make the shot, yes

Would I take the shot, no. (and 25-06 has zero to do with it)

Interesting response ratio here, not surprising, but interesting. Confirms all those echoing shot volleys I hear off in the distance.

My personal observations are that 90+% of hunters would be incapable of making that shot.
My personal observations are that way over 90% of hunters will take that shot anyway.
Do you hunt Michigan, Minnesota, Maine?

Around here, if you can not make the shot presented here, 9 years out of ten your freezer will stay empty. Mule deer or elk.

But we never had the advantage of etched reticles or adjustable turrets. We (universally) set the scope dead on at 300 and held nine inches high at 400. And you better be able to estimate range. There were no lasers either.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Just spitballing here but that was a very nice piece of rifle work. The hit is pretty obvious in the video right at the lower edge of the neck cape left side. If in fact that was 400 yards with a 115 gr Berger I seriously doubt that you busted up any big shoulder bone of course you never know until that nice bull is unzipped. My educated guess the bullet probably hit big bone then deflected left, took out the heart then tumbled its way aft through the organs. You had enough velocity. Had it been just lungs that animal could have, would have, traveled some distance anyway much further. Pure lung shots usually show frothy blood, lots of it out of the mouth and nose. I’ve taken two big cows with my 257 AI that were lung only broadsides and both took off and started to climb. But if the heart is hit they soon lose consciousness and hit the ground. One of my lung shot cows still had its eyes closed when I got to it like ten minutes later. I’d be surprised if there is a real exit wound maybe stuck in the far side hide but I’d bet he is a bloody mess inside.I always shoot 120 Interlocks in my 257AI but honestly I never deliberately went after Elk with a quarter bore no matter how fast.

My late Brother was a guide many years and had an orthopedic surgeon take a cow with a 270. While field dressing the doctor was according to my Brother a PITA getting in the way and poking around everywhere inside but the 270 bullet went through the shoulder bone plate leaving a clean hole. My Brother thought that was weird but the doctor said the cow’s bones were soft and weak probably due to diet. Never heard that before

Congratulations hope the back straps are clean
Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 10/12/23.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Just spitballing here but that was a very nice piece of rifle work. The hit is pretty obvious in the video right at the lower edge of the neck cape left side. If in fact that was 400 yards with a 115 gr Berger I seriously doubt that you busted up any big shoulder bone of course you never know until that nice bull is unzipped. My educated guess the bullet probably hit big bone then deflected left, took out the heart then tumbled its way aft through the organs. You had enough velocity. Had it been just lungs that animal could have, would have, traveled some distance anyway much further. Pure lung shots usually show frothy blood, lots of it out of the mouth and nose. I’ve taken two big cows with my 257 AI that were lung only broadsides and both took off and started to climb. But if the heart is hit they soon lose consciousness and hit the ground. One of my lung shot cows still had its eyes closed when I got to it like ten minutes later. I’d be surprised if there is a real exit wound maybe stuck in the far side hide but I’d bet he is a bloody mess inside.I always shoot 120 Interlocks in my 257AI but honestly I never deliberately went after Elk with a quarter bore no matter how fast.

My late Brother was a guide many years and had an orthopedic surgeon take a cow with a 270. While field dressing the doctor was according to my Brother a PITA getting in the way and poking around everywhere inside but the 270 bullet went through the shoulder bone plate leaving a clean hole. My Brother thought that was weird but the doctor said the cow’s bones were soft and weak probably due to diet. Never heard that before

Congratulations hope the back straps are clean
Rick

I also hunt with four different orthopedic surgeons, one veterinarian, and one radiologist (“Tell em I just fix radios…). They ALL do that very same thing when dressing out critters with me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice shot!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I totally agree about the shot and expiration of the bull.

It looks like very similar to an archery hit.. As in the bull bled out.

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/13/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great shot by the boy.

All's well that ends well.

I would not have taken that shot unless he turned to his right another quarter.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
When I was 18, I would have chanced it; and now at 65, nope.

Retired USAF
NRA Benefactor Member/Golden Eagle
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice Rush lyric at the end of the vid.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom
Hell I would have probably sent a text to my buddies say get the pack boards and head this way before I touched the trigger.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Holy sh it. Elk aren’t bullet proof? I'll be damned if the boomer-fudds weren't wrong again!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pretty freaking awesome Bull kill!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great shot. Congratulations to your son!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I wait. Too much to go wrong. Yeah a person may make the shot. If you make it you say I told you so. If you don't, you feel like a dirt bag. Probably don't sleep a whole lot that night or the next. There's always tomorrow.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
iat 400 yards with a good 25 caliber rifle ,laying down with a bi-pod lots of summer practice , with a good scope i will make that shot all day long out of my single shot rifle as did that young man had done. and again congrats on a nice bull. Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 10/20/23.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Congrats to your son! Nice shooting!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by cv540

You can walk in the dark. You can't shoot in the dark.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Berger Bullet you say?

I thought those were just for paper targets?

Learn something new every day.

Well done on a nice bull to the young man.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 11/02/23.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

Booger man is out after dark.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by tzone

Have skinned, loaded, and packed many, many critters after dark.

Hint, horses do not need flashlights, and they will take you back to the feed rack.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Congrats on a very nice Bull!
Great team work knowing your equipment, Rifle set up, wind, etc.......................
Love the Video.

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Glad it worked out, but my answer would be no. No to the 25-06 on elk. No to a Berger on elk. No to that combo at 400 yards and at that angle. Too many better choices. But glad it worked and didn't end up with a wounded and lost bull.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Glad it worked out, but my answer would be no. No to the 25-06 on elk. No to a Berger on elk. No to that combo at 400 yards and at that angle. Too many better choices. But glad it worked and didn't end up with a wounded and lost bull.
👆

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Godogs57
👆
+ 10 true it all worked out perfectly but a less than perfect placement might have been a real rodeo. Your son might be a crack shot but in my book lady luck was holding his hand..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 11/03/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
25-06 on a 400 yd shot at an elk? I'm a subsistance hunter, the elk would be food in my freezer. If all I had was a 25-06 I'd use in with confidence ut not at a elk at 400yds. I don't need something to brag about, what I need is food in the freezer! matter of fact I wouldn't even take that 400yd shot with my 30-06, still need food in the freezer. I believe shooting beyoind the MPBR, max oiunt blank range, of the cartridge your using is irresponsible as hell! I have taken only one shot at big game in my life much oer 250 yds, it was 330yds on the range finder and just to say I did it! Pretty sorry reason for taking the shot.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Don , his rifle was most likely ZEROED at 400 when he pulled the trigger.

BPBR does not mean much with lasers and turrets.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DonFischer
… I believe shooting beyoind the MPBR, max oiunt blank range, of the cartridge you’re using is irresponsible as hell!
We all have our limitations! It’s good to know them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smallfry
… I believe shooting beyoind the MPBR, max oiunt blank range, of the cartridge you’re using is irresponsible as hell!
We all have our limitations! It’s good to know them.

Don't apply your limitations to others, Don

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
25-06 on a 400 yd shot at an elk? I'm a subsistance hunter, the elk would be food in my freezer. If all I had was a 25-06 I'd use in with confidence ut not at a elk at 400yds. I don't need something to brag about, what I need is food in the freezer! matter of fact I wouldn't even take that 400yd shot with my 30-06, still need food in the freezer. I believe shooting beyoind the MPBR, max oiunt blank range, of the cartridge your using is irresponsible as hell! I have taken only one shot at big game in my life much oer 250 yds, it was 330yds on the range finder and just to say I did it! Pretty sorry reason for taking the shot.

Wow.

If poking a bull elk in the right spot @400yds stymies a hunter he should follow the example of the young man in this thread.

Put a bit of time into learning how to shoot.

It's not rocket science and 400yd shots on bulls are some thing every good elk hunter should be able to pull off as a given. eVERY sINGLE tIME.

Let me repeat. If you can't, on demand, deliver a bullet to elk vitals @400yds (Every Single Time) you need to get your lazy azz to the range and up you shooting skill level before you enter the elk woods with a tag.

To be fair using the term MPBR is a dead give away of a lack of shooting knowledge and skill.

Be Better, the elk deserve hunter who can shoot.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hungry much? laugh

# RangeTimeMatters

NRA Life, GOA
2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

How many bulls have you killed, or guided other people to? I'm not the most experienced elk hunter/guide in the world, but I'm somewhere around 90-100 bulls after this season. What I'm saying is, I've seen bulls shot at with every cartridge you can think of, and come to the conclusion that the person pulling the trigger is 10x more important than the cartridge or bullet.

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Wow.

If poking a bull elk in the right spot @400yds stymies a hunter he should follow the example of the young man in this thread.

Put a bit of time into learning how to shoot.

It's not rocket science and 400yd shots on bulls are some thing every good elk hunter should be able to pull off as a given. eVERY sINGLE tIME.

Let me repeat. If you can't, on demand, deliver a bullet to elk vitals @400yds (Every Single Time) you need to get your lazy azz to the range and up you shooting skill level before you enter the elk woods with a tag.

To be fair using the term MPBR is a dead give away of a lack of shooting knowledge and skill.

Be Better, the elk deserve hunter who can shoot.

Fully agree. All 3 of my kids have now killed a bull at 400 or beyond, all with a single shot, all in their teenage years. If they can do it, anyone should be able to.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

How many bulls have you killed, or guided other people to? I'm not the most experienced elk hunter/guide in the world, but I'm somewhere around 90-100 bulls after this season. What I'm saying is, I've seen bulls shot at with every cartridge you can think of, and come to the conclusion that the person pulling the trigger is 10x more important than the cartridge or bullet.

What's funny is you post a scenario and question what people would do. When they answer you argue against them. What was the point of asking?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What's funny is you post a scenario and question what people would do. When they answer you argue against them. What was the point of asking?

He started a discussion. During the discussion he asked about how much experience you have on the subject of the discussion. Seems normal.

That said I got a kick out of both your screen names and the subject of the OP.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

No arguing, just curious as to WHY you answered the way you did? I'm always curious to see if its from practical experience, or otherwise.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hunted deer before elk and based on different bullet construction, weight, shot angles, penetration, retained weight, etc I went away from softer, lighter jacketed bullets to tougher bonded ones.

For example I took a blacktail buck that was quartering away with a 130 BT. Left a huge hole in the side without much penetration, and lots of fragments. Had a similar shot a few years later on another blacktail using an Accubond, multiple broken ribs, tore up lung, big chunk of its heart gone, broken off shoulder, and exited.

Took elk with Accubonds for quite a while and while the bullets performed well, I wanted more penetration than I was getting from a 270. Broadside, easy. Quartering I wanted more. Went to 7 mags with 160 ABs, no issues.

Have stepped back to a 280AI mainly for elk with 145 LRXs, and use LRXs almost exclusively, with the exception of 150 TTSXs from a 308. Most deer haven't taken more than a few steps, if any, and though I've taken only a couple elk with them so far, I've had perfect results.

While I haven't been around 100 elk taken, not even close, I've taken enough deer and elk to prefer tougher and heavier (than 115 - 130) bullets.

2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hunted deer before elk and based on different bullet construction, weight, shot angles, penetration, retained weight, etc I went away from softer, lighter jacketed bullets to tougher bonded ones.

For example I took a blacktail buck that was quartering away with a 130 BT. Left a huge hole in the side without much penetration, and lots of fragments. Had a similar shot a few years later on another blacktail using an Accubond, multiple broken ribs, tore up lung, big chunk of its heart gone, broken off shoulder, and exited.

Took elk with Accubonds for quite a while and while the bullets performed well, I wanted more penetration than I was getting from a 270. Broadside, easy. Quartering I wanted more. Went to 7 mags with 160 ABs, no issues.

Have stepped back to a 280AI mainly for elk with 145 LRXs, and use LRXs almost exclusively, with the exception of 150 TTSXs from a 308. Most deer haven't taken more than a few steps, if any, and though I've taken only a couple elk with them so far, I've had perfect results.

While I haven't been around 100 elk taken, not even close, I've taken enough deer and elk to prefer tougher and heavier (than 115 - 130) bullets.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (10Glocks, 35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 12 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,117
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.