Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
That shot presentation and rifle/load combination wouldn't give me an instant of hesitation

SAME.

Congrats to the lad – good shooting!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
shot placement ? we all take the best shot available at that moment its not a paper target on a target frame and your not on a bench either . i think the youngman did just fine at least he had a bi-pod on his rifle , knew how to shoot and knew the distance to make the great one shot ! good job and congrats again ! Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 2five7
Post shot pic, the bull was on the hill opposite us. Yep, my baby boy is bigger than I am!

Cool pic! Great country. Very similar to what we have always hunted. Except here, that yellow would have been quakie thickets.

I assume that must be tamarack turning yellow. We see very little tamarack around here. As wood cutters, we would have liked to find some.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
2five7 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Post shot pic, the bull was on the hill opposite us. Yep, my baby boy is bigger than I am!

Cool pic! Great country. Very similar to what we have always hunted. Except here, that yellow would have been quakie thickets.

I assume that must be tamarack turning yellow. We see very little tamarack around here. As wood cutters, we would have liked to find some.
The yellow trees are all Quakies, we don't have any tamarack that I'm aware of.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Interesting. I would not have guessed quakies as tall and straight as they look. Ours look more like shrubs.

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Could I make the shot, yes

Would I take the shot, no. (and 25-06 has zero to do with it)

Interesting response ratio here, not surprising, but interesting. Confirms all those echoing shot volleys I hear off in the distance.

My personal observations are that 90+% of hunters would be incapable of making that shot.
My personal observations are that way over 90% of hunters will take that shot anyway.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Big congrats to both of you. Beautiful Bull elk. Perfect shot placement. What an awesome experience to have with your son. Memories of a lifetime for the both of you.

Dad, another congrats for you too. Its obvious that your boy has had lots of trigger time and was comfortable making a 400yd shot with his rig. From watching the video it appears that he has been well coached and your instructions were spot on. Great job. I'm sure if there was any question about the rifle/scope combo, the bullet used, his capability or the distance, You would not have instructed him to take the shot.

OUTSTANDING.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by llamalover2
Could I make the shot, yes

Would I take the shot, no. (and 25-06 has zero to do with it)

Interesting response ratio here, not surprising, but interesting. Confirms all those echoing shot volleys I hear off in the distance.

My personal observations are that 90+% of hunters would be incapable of making that shot.
My personal observations are that way over 90% of hunters will take that shot anyway.
Do you hunt Michigan, Minnesota, Maine?

Around here, if you can not make the shot presented here, 9 years out of ten your freezer will stay empty. Mule deer or elk.

But we never had the advantage of etched reticles or adjustable turrets. We (universally) set the scope dead on at 300 and held nine inches high at 400. And you better be able to estimate range. There were no lasers either.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just spitballing here but that was a very nice piece of rifle work. The hit is pretty obvious in the video right at the lower edge of the neck cape left side. If in fact that was 400 yards with a 115 gr Berger I seriously doubt that you busted up any big shoulder bone of course you never know until that nice bull is unzipped. My educated guess the bullet probably hit big bone then deflected left, took out the heart then tumbled its way aft through the organs. You had enough velocity. Had it been just lungs that animal could have, would have, traveled some distance anyway much further. Pure lung shots usually show frothy blood, lots of it out of the mouth and nose. I’ve taken two big cows with my 257 AI that were lung only broadsides and both took off and started to climb. But if the heart is hit they soon lose consciousness and hit the ground. One of my lung shot cows still had its eyes closed when I got to it like ten minutes later. I’d be surprised if there is a real exit wound maybe stuck in the far side hide but I’d bet he is a bloody mess inside.I always shoot 120 Interlocks in my 257AI but honestly I never deliberately went after Elk with a quarter bore no matter how fast.

My late Brother was a guide many years and had an orthopedic surgeon take a cow with a 270. While field dressing the doctor was according to my Brother a PITA getting in the way and poking around everywhere inside but the 270 bullet went through the shoulder bone plate leaving a clean hole. My Brother thought that was weird but the doctor said the cow’s bones were soft and weak probably due to diet. Never heard that before

Congratulations hope the back straps are clean
Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 10/12/23.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Just spitballing here but that was a very nice piece of rifle work. The hit is pretty obvious in the video right at the lower edge of the neck cape left side. If in fact that was 400 yards with a 115 gr Berger I seriously doubt that you busted up any big shoulder bone of course you never know until that nice bull is unzipped. My educated guess the bullet probably hit big bone then deflected left, took out the heart then tumbled its way aft through the organs. You had enough velocity. Had it been just lungs that animal could have, would have, traveled some distance anyway much further. Pure lung shots usually show frothy blood, lots of it out of the mouth and nose. I’ve taken two big cows with my 257 AI that were lung only broadsides and both took off and started to climb. But if the heart is hit they soon lose consciousness and hit the ground. One of my lung shot cows still had its eyes closed when I got to it like ten minutes later. I’d be surprised if there is a real exit wound maybe stuck in the far side hide but I’d bet he is a bloody mess inside.I always shoot 120 Interlocks in my 257AI but honestly I never deliberately went after Elk with a quarter bore no matter how fast.

My late Brother was a guide many years and had an orthopedic surgeon take a cow with a 270. While field dressing the doctor was according to my Brother a PITA getting in the way and poking around everywhere inside but the 270 bullet went through the shoulder bone plate leaving a clean hole. My Brother thought that was weird but the doctor said the cow’s bones were soft and weak probably due to diet. Never heard that before

Congratulations hope the back straps are clean
Rick

I also hunt with four different orthopedic surgeons, one veterinarian, and one radiologist (“Tell em I just fix radios…). They ALL do that very same thing when dressing out critters with me.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice shot!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I totally agree about the shot and expiration of the bull.

It looks like very similar to an archery hit.. As in the bull bled out.

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/13/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great shot by the boy.

All's well that ends well.

I would not have taken that shot unless he turned to his right another quarter.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
When I was 18, I would have chanced it; and now at 65, nope.

Retired USAF
NRA Benefactor Member/Golden Eagle
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Excellent

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice Rush lyric at the end of the vid.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Scenario: You're hunting Elk with the only rifle you own, an accurate 25-06 loaded with 115 Berger VLD started at 3135 fps. You have a very nice 6x6 Bull across the canyon at 400 yards, no detectable wind, and not enough daylight left to attempt to get closer. You taking the shot? Or letting him walk

This is your shot angle.. Post your thoughts,

I'm letting him walk. Even if it works, as it apparently did, there are way too many things that can go wrong leading to crippling and losing an animal with the specific conditions you list. Kid seemingly did everything right but he still only had a 50/50 chance of good results. I'll offer my heartfelt congratulations but at the same time, I would not have pulled the trigger .. MY ethics.

Tom
Hell I would have probably sent a text to my buddies say get the pack boards and head this way before I touched the trigger.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Holy sh it. Elk aren’t bullet proof? I'll be damned if the boomer-fudds weren't wrong again!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pretty freaking awesome Bull kill!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great shot. Congratulations to your son!

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 280shooter, 257_X_50, 260Remguy, 22 invisible), 1,709 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,122
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.