Hop To
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hi guys,
It's been many many years since I have shot a bow (used to shoot low-tech recurves in high school), and now I am getting the bug to put some hunting time with bow and arrow.
I was able to get a doe a couple years back with a crossbow, and I learn a ton while hunting with it.
Even though it is challenging, I prefer the thought of actually hunting with a compound.
That being said, it would be for hogs, and maybe whitetails (likely not this season, unless late in the season, due to untested and unknown proficiency)

I know that I would need to shoot some prior to buying one, but I'd like to know what to look for and what questions to ask for when walking into an archery store.
As far as brands and cost, nothing ultrafast or light needed, as it would be an initial bow (not opposed to buying new old stock), is it safe to buy used even if unknown user? (ie damage to limbs?)

From my research here reading posts and checking inventories, seems like $400-500 can get someone started fairly decently for my purposes. PSE, Bear, Xpedition Archery
Hoyt and Mathews are way out of my price range, and I don't think I would be able to extricate in performance the difference in price.
So, the floor is open, looking forward to reading your input

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go to a pro shop and look around at their used bows. You can find 2-3 year old bows in excellent condition for 1/2 the price of new. A good ship will help set you up and get you outfitted with gear that fits your needs and works for you. Trying to do it on your own is frustrating and can be very expensive if you buy incorrectly the first time.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I used to be big into archery until I messed my shoulder up.Daughter of mine got a xbow for Christmas and she’s killed 2 already that thing is bad azz compared to my Mathews

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you’re not looking to fill the freezer bank full every year you might look into getting back into recurves or a longbow.

I found long ago that I don’t like all the gadgetry involved with the latest greatest in compound archery and switched back to a recurve. I don’t kill as many deer as I could with more modern gear and my effective range is certainly shorter. But I enjoy the simplicity of it and the intensity that comes with getting within 20 yards of the quarry, single digits is even better. It also requires more time practicing so if you just like to shoot there’s that too.

S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the input so far.
My plans are not to rely on archery to fill the freezer, but ideally get some more time in the woods, plus add to the challenge. I have hunted with a crossbow, and while challenging, the mechanics are close to rifle hunting.
Recurve or compound, my shots wouldn't be more than 25yds, based on where and how I want to use it.
I do prefer the idea of a compound, but it may be due to the learning curve of a recurve.

What should I look for when testing/trying bows?

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Keep your poundage low. you'll enjoy shooting more and will therefor shoot more often. You don't need 60+ pounds draw weight to kill deer and pigs. (I assume you have pigs living and hunting in TX)

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bbassi
Keep your poundage low. you'll enjoy shooting more and will therefor shoot more often. You don't need 60+ pounds draw weight to kill deer and pigs. (I assume you have pigs living and hunting in TX)

Thanks
Yes, hunting and living in Texas.
I was thinking that a bow that maxes out at 55 or 60lbs would be ideal for my intentions, probably 40-60 sweet spot range

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I agree with Centershot. Go with an older, good quality bow versus a new, second tier manufacturer. Crazy, but a three year old Hoyt/Mathews will shoot very close to what a new one will, and be much more affordable. They are usually already set up with sights, quiver, rest, etc.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My brother and I both bought nice older matthews at different pawn shops. A guy can buy a really nice used bow if you know your draw length and stuff. You can get it for a fraction of a price of a new bow and it shoots just as true.
Just a thought!

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Go to a reputable pro shop! The worst mistake I made getting back into archery was buying a bow on the internet and trying to DIY things. There are too many variables like draw length, eye dominance, cam styles, brace height, poundage, etc. that can mess you up.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plenty of good bows. Hoyt or PSE would be good bows.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The key to my success in accuracy with a compound was buying a Hoyt, and a quality release.

The release is a hook, not jaws.

I was lucky enough to get along with a whisker biscuit.

I shoot rampages…….I doubt they make them anymore.

Anyway Hoyt featured the top of the line cams on a pot metal riser.

Both rampages I bought , one was used and like posted above 1/2 the price, needed the limb pockets lubed.

Before my Hoyt’s I had such terrible luck with compounds I switched back to a recurve.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sponxx,

Congratulations for taking up the challenge! It's a great way to extend your hunting season.

Personally I have found that my bow kills are always way more rewarding than my rifle kills. Because when you hunt with a bow, you are really hunting and you have to understand all aspects of hunting to get close enough to kill a smart old buck deer, or an elk as examples.

My advise it to go to a bow outlet/range and get your draw length measured. This should be the first thing you do, a bow that does not fit you, isn't good, speaking from experience.

centershot offered some great advise, lots of "Like New" bows to be found at Bow Ranges and on line for 1/2 the price of new.

My favorite bow is a Darton Vapor way less than a Hoyte, and just as good IMO, and I have owned a Hoyte. The feel and fit in your hand is another important aspect of buying a bow you will enjoy shooting.

Personally I do not equip my bow with cheap "Off the Shelf" strings, you may want to do some research on custom strings.

Lots of good Bow Sights, I use Accent Black Gold, I love it. 1 adjustable pin verses many pins, and at my age multiple pins become a blur! lol

A great arrow rest is also important I use a Trophy Ridge Micro Revolution Full-Capture Fall Away Arrow Rest. The best thing about them is that they lock your arrow in place and your arrow isn't continually falling off the rest, a great feature especially while hunting and 1 less thing to worry about.

I have been using "Slick Tricks" as my broadheads, they are great! The fly as true as Bullet and Field Target Points even at distance, and they are lethal!

Angus1895 is correct and you want a quality release, of the type you prefer.

Cheers ~

My Bow

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 03/06/24.

KB

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for the input so far.
My plans are not to rely on archery to fill the freezer, but ideally get some more time in the woods, plus add to the challenge. I have hunted with a crossbow, and while challenging, the mechanics are close to rifle hunting.
Recurve or compound, my shots wouldn't be more than 25yds, based on where and how I want to use it.
I do prefer the idea of a compound, but it may be due to the learning curve of a recurve.

I embarked on this same journey a few years ago. I will tell you what the guys at my shop told me. Keep the poundage low to start (every bow on the market is adjustable) and as you get more comfortable, you can up the poundage if you feel inclined. Talk to an archery shop about how to set up your arrows. A 90lb draw bow with the wrong arrows is less lethal than a 45lb bow with the right ones. There are a thousand avenues you can take (recurve, compound, releases, sites, etc). but just look at a lot of stuff and see what you like and dont like and go from there. Different strokes for different folks. Just like rifles, you will tinker and change things constantly, but thats what makes it so fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I totally agree with lower poundage. With range finders, carbon arrows, light broadheads and whitetails/ hogs as what is hunted. Plus the limit of 25 yards or less…….there is not much need to wind the deal up tight.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Can usually find good deals on last years models if wanting new. I'm a Hoyt fan, been shooting the same Hoyt Trykon for over 15 years. I'm pulling back 64lbs which is plenty. Lower poundage certainly helps pulling back in cold weather. I have buddies who shoot real high poundage and take 60 yards shots on whitetail, that aint for me. I've bought used in the past, but I knew the owner and how they took care of things. I did finally replace my string with an aftermarket and that helped accuracy and twist some. A lot of folks go with a new one after a year or two, a lot of gently used bows out there. They just wanna unload to offset cost of that new 1k plus bow. If you are talking about maxing out at 60, I'd still go with a bow rated a littler higher.

My 12yo got his first this past season, cheap Mission by Mathew probably have 350ish in the whole setup, 40lbs. No pass through but it didn't go 75 yards. We'll be upgrading when puberty hits but man...talk about getting me excited bowhunting about again. Week before he squared one up in the shoulder, got some penetration but not enough, pretty sure the deer didn't make it but never found, yeah, we felt bummed, maybe a little "should we be trying this yet?" I will say 40 is light in my opinion. But the joker practiced all summer and it as hard to tell him no.

Last edited by killerv; 03/07/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome picture of you son killerv! He wont have any problems with the ladies hey? hehehe

With my Darton I pull 74 lbs., something about a harder pull that makes your bow feel like a real killing machine. I know that technology has advanced so much that is it not as necessary as back in the day, when I picked up a bow for the first time.

My longest shot on a deer with my Darton way 97 yards. Practice makes perfect.

The first bow I bought for myself was a Hoyte, I prefer my Darton for several reasons, but I did kill a giant Black Bear with my Hoyte, pictured below. Being a Hoyte fan I'll bet you can even guess the model.

But as I was saying in my post, in the bow selection process, "Fit'N Feel" goes a long way and the Darton feels way better in my hands.

Cheers from the Great White North ~ cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 03/07/24.

KB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,233 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,214
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.