Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Seafire
When my granddad died in Nov 1968, I inherited his Savage 24, in 22 LR and 410 on the bottom.
Its old enough it has no serial number.

My grandfathers favorite two meals were squirrel or rabbit. He had many a meal of them in his life, courtesy of his Savage 24. The 22 barrel on top, has NO rifling for the first 6 inches or so in the barrel. One has to wonder how many 22 bullets, need to be shot thru a single shot, to wear out 6 inches of the rifling in the rifle?

Funny, I ended up with it, because most of my cousins didn't want it. They didn't want it, because our grandpa had other guns with more features. They wanted the feature filled firearms. I wanted the two rifles that was our granddad's favorite two... the 24 Savage and a very early Marlin 30/30. Didn't matter what they were. These were the two that had the most wear and tear on them.. but by far had killed the most game. He was from the days, when most of rural America eat more wild game than they did store bought meat. He was born in 1907 in Wytheville VA. Much of his life, where he lived, if hunting license were required, most people never bought them, and they took wild game pretty much year round. Besides most game animals, the other major source of meat was from slaughtering of hogs off the farm.

The Marlin was stolen out of my truck back in Minnesota, but I still have the 22/410 Savage 24.

SeaFire

Your grandfather's life description sounds identical to my fathers. He was born in Nov 1897 Conway, moand passed Jan 1979. His parents bought him a Hamilton 22 rifle for $1.00 in in about 1907. He rode the Frisco train to Lebanon, Mo to the county seat where he purchased his first hunting license Nov 1917, which I still have. He hunted small game and killed hogs with that rifle until the barrel was shot out. Married in 1920 and raised eleven children. Likely the barrel was shot out while trying to feed eleven children. grin Only 22 cal he every owned. I restored it for him for father's day one year and it was later passed to someone other than me. They family hunted an fished year round . They didn't know what store bought meat was, other than bacon and salt side. Different times for tough suvivors. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2. One was my uncle's, killed my first rabbit with it-early 70's I guess. He had put the red dot of the day on it. Weaver Qwik Point. It is stamped "Series M", the Blue Book of Gun Values doesn't list that particular model. .22LR/.410

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The other one I picked up while in high school. I was working in a gas station, bought it from a guy who needed travel money. .22Mag/.410. Just replaced the firing pin. Numrich came through for me. It has no serial number so must fall into the pre-1968 time frame. Killed a few grouse with it in college.

LHS

Last edited by LHS905; 10/10/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About 25 years ago I lucked into a guy carrying a pristine 357 mag / over 20 ga at a local gun show. Asked him what he wanted and he said $150 bucks. Carried it black to the Ranch, shot it once, and it mostly set in a corner of the safe unused. Got it out about 5 years later to carry to another gun show for trading stock. Dad saw it it and thought it was the greatest “truck gun” ever. 🤪

Gave it to him and he carried it in his truck till the day he died. There was still half a box of old Federal 20 ga shells in the truck, and a box of 357 mag WW Silvertips with about 3 shells missing when I cleaned out the truck, about 5 years ago. 🤠

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/10/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
Just curious how many out their in 22 Hornet? I Have one wo else? GW

I have a 24F in 22 Hornet over 20 ga.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Which one had the extra pistol grip?

357 max or 357 mag?

357 max
Heard mixed opinions on that. I just got the Max labeled dies.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Saw a .357 Max/20 today at Stocker John's (a custom stock maker here in town).

The owner is have a new stock made (original is cracked) and a pistol grip made.

The stock maker is old school. Learned the trade at Kimber of Oregon.

I was drooling over the model 24.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Without being able to regulate the barrels, accuracy in the centerfires is mostly luck of the draw.

The Savage 24 is a good idea, but to hit their price point they were never quite as good in their execution. That said, I have a 22M/410 that is a fun woods loafing gun and with Brenneke 3" slugs a bare minimum for shooting deer at very close ranges.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had one with a 22 mag on top and it was ridiculously accurate for a cheap gun with a cheap 22 scope and a horrible trigger.

Lost that gun when my work truck was stolen.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 22 Mag over 410. My favorite small game gun.

Had a 357 over 20.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (10Glocks, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 75 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,961
Posts18,480,521
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.