-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking at one of these in 308 with the black carbon ‘Stockys’ stock. I’d be using it as a woods stalking rifle and understand that it weighs 4 1/2lb without an optic or ammo which is as light as a Kimber Adirondak. Can’t find those anymore so this might be the ticket.

Anyone have experience they could share? Good or bad - throw it out there.

Thanks all!

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 10/11/23.
GB1

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Have not had experience with it but there are YouTube vids of it. Edk

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
They are talked about in this thread. I have one and like it a lot.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../17862714/re-howa-superlite#Post17862714

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Too bad they dont come in stainless....Hb

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d settle for nitrided. Neither of us are likely to get either.

I was just looking at the Savage, if you can believe it, with the Proof carbon barrel. Only for informational purposes of course.

I see Talley has rings for the Superlite, a good thing as the factory rail looks too high.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all! I’ll have to watch Ron’s video.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hard to see how it would be a bad rifle. Howa actions are solid.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have handled a few at some local gun shops and the ergo's feel decent but the action is rough as hell on the ones I have worked and Im not crazy about the 2 stage trigger....Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the triggers just fine. Gotta think that a .308 that light might be tricky to shoot off the bench. Mule Deer’s folded towel trick might be the ticket for that. Not the slickest actions either, but some moly lube in the right places helps with that, and so does time and use.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah I agree, I think the action would slicken up with use and I could always install a Timney trigger. A LGS has had one chambered for 308 Win on his shelf for 6 months or more, he offered it to me for $890.00 cash out the door. I might give it a try as I am a lightweight rifle whore 😁...Hb

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The actions will smooth up with time and are a good action. Feeding and extraction is excellent which some factory rifles can't figure out these days. The trigger is a 2-stage and mine came with a 3.5 lb pull weight that would not adjust lower. Gunbloke offers trigger springs that will allow the trigger weight to be reduced.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've handled them, not any different than the Howa Alpine mountain rifle I have in 6.5 CM. Like everyone is saying action is a lil rough, trigger sucks so I went with a Timney trigger. It handles well and for hunting its very accurate, just don't expect the thin barrel not heat up after three shots. It fits the bill for lightweight but not worth the price IMO.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I was just looking at the Savage, if you can believe it, with the Proof carbon barrel. Only for informational purposes of course.

I see Talley has rings for the Superlite, a good thing as the factory rail looks too high.

Of all, the prices that stun me these days....

Some of these "special" Savages!
Maybe they are worth it. Maybe a good value even!
But 110s being considered a premium, and sold that way?

Gotta admit, they don't look like 1940s farm equipment anymore.
And the stocks aren't roughly rounded 2x6s anymore either.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Haven't handled a carbon unit, just the walnut one I modded... Sure strip easy. One machine screw for the trigger assembly and another for the bolt release.

Howa seems to get close every once in a while then strikes out. Fat-assed Mini stocks. Abortion of a magazine assembly. The Superlite bottom plastic is really really minimal amount of structure. Prices are high these days but damn they're high! Sure are light though!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Of all, the prices that stun me these days....

Some of these "special" Savages!
Maybe they are worth it. Maybe a good value even!
But 110s being considered a premium, and sold that way?

Gotta admit, they don't look like 1940s farm equipment anymore.
And the stocks aren't roughly rounded 2x6s anymore either.

The review of that rifle I read mentioned that the Proof Research barrel sold as a prefit costs over $900, which kinda makes the factory version a good deal, of sorts. That action is blueprinted as well. I need another rifle like I need another winky, but for a shooter, not one to fondle and stroke, that oogly Savage would work well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Haven't handled a carbon unit, just the walnut one I modded... Sure strip easy. One machine screw for the trigger assembly and another for the bolt release.

Howa seems to get close every once in a while then strikes out. Fat-assed Mini stocks. Abortion of a magazine assembly. The Superlite bottom plastic is really really minimal amount of structure. Prices are high these days but damn they're high! Sure are light though!

They did it right with the Alpine. I picked one up for $600, and it had zero shortcomings, barrel twist aside. Honestly, if I had bought it before my Fieldcraft, I would’ve probably quit right there. Since there was considerable overlap with those two, I donated the Howa to my son and the grandchildren. He made a nice running shot with it last year.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hope it shoots as good as it carries.

I have the .308 Superlite, it has some issues with feeding from the magazine and cartridge ejection. I had to have the scope rail worked on because the bolt handle cut a groove in it. They are heavier than advertised, but not much.

Overall the rifle has potential and it met my weight goals. However, I don't trust it enough to hunt with it yet. If someone comes out withnan alloy bottom metal and I get the ejector issues worked out it'll make a nice rifle.

Overall owning both an Alpine and a Superlite, the Alpine was/is a better rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How does the Howa Superlite compare to a standard Kimber Hunter?

I have 4 Kimber Hunters in 22 CM, 243, 6.5 CM, and 308 that I'm pretty happy with. I don't love the stocks, but they are light enough for my uses and low maintenance stainless.

My still-hunting/woods stalking rifles are a Ruger 44 International and a pair of Winchester 100s in 308. Not super light, but having the option of multiple fast follow up shots appeal to me in a woods rifle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (300s, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 13 invisible), 1,510 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,067
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.