-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the price of the Wilson Combat NULA (or the price Fieldcrafts go for these days), just build a custom rifle with the specs you want. Team up with a good smith and its quite doable. Also, paint is cheap!

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drop_point
For the price of the Wilson Combat NULA (or the price Fieldcrafts go for these days), just build a custom rifle with the specs you want. Team up with a good smith and its quite doable. Also, paint is cheap!

Very true, more than one way to skin a cat.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hint...............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wish Wilson great success, but, considering current pricing, chamberings, and twist-rates, I'll buy Kimber Montanas and factory duplicate contour Lilja bbls twisted to my preference and chambered in whatever suits my fancy.

Last edited by horse1; 10/02/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have nothing but Best Wishes for them,but the cart is soooooooooo fhuqking far in front of the fhuqking horse,that I'm patiently awaiting the punch line. Fascinating to me,that folks try sooooooooo hard,to fhuqk EASY schit up. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

B
B
Very lucky… I ordered a model 20 in March 2022 only two months before the Wilson purchase was Announced. sadly enough my gun never got built.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by horse1
I wish Wilson great success, but, considering current pricing, chamberings, and twist-rates, I'll buy Kimber Montanas and factory duplicate contour Lilja bbls twisted to my preference and chambered in whatever suits my fancy.

Same here.

C
C
Explain the luck?

When Wilson said "We will begin production soon, Melvin has sent us the drawings and we are scanning them" it was obvious it would be a long and winding road to production.

How many companies need to attempt to make money on this design before acknowledging it will never happen?

There is no business plan that allows a $4k-$5k custom rifle to be sold for $2k-$3k profitably.

Last edited by CashGap; 10/12/23.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
While I have yet to shoot it I am pretty impressed with my recently acquired $1500 Rem M700 Ti 270 Win. My Kimbers have proven fine as well. Cults I guess?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The giant wart on the end of the barrel will keep me from gettting one. I get that the new trend is to be sniper but damn nothing ruins the lines on a small svelte rifle like a big a** bulb on the barrel. Should at least be an option on a rifle that spendy.

Old man rant over. And I'm not really that old...

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i have yet seen one that has a target that impressed me

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'm curious how many of the people bashing our new rifles have actually handled and/or shot one?

I can tell you that personally I'm really proud of what our team has done so far with this project. Especially if you factor in that we only had one rifle we borrowed from Melvin and some crude paper prints and later a second loaner rifle from Richard Mann to go by. Another thing I want to mention is how impressive the quality of Melvin built rifles are after seeing the VERY limited resources he had. It proved to me that Melvin is one heck of a skilled gunsmith!!! While on the subject of Melvin, he and his wife Patty are two of the nicest people I've ever met, truly special people.

While we stayed pretty true to Melvin's original proven action design we have made some noticeable improvements.

ID of the receiver is wire EDM cut so we can hold tolerances to less than .001"
Bolt is fully machined out of bar stock on state of the art CNC equipment
The bolt handle is mechanically attached to the bolt instead of being brazed like Melvin did it which makes it stronger
The bolt knob is user interchangeable
The Bolt stop is beefier and fully machined from bar stock instead of a stamping, it also has a heavier stainless spring
Receiver, bolt and bolt handle are DLC coated by Armorlube and don't require any lube
The stainless 416R WC mfg barrel is Armor Tuff coated for corrosion resistance
Scope base screws are 8-40 thread
All standard SKU barrels are threaded 5/8-24 for muzzle devices or suppressors
We added hinged floorplate bottom metal that's fully machined out of 7075 T6 aluminum bar stock and hard anodized
AG composites is making us a awesome stock that's as light and strong as the labor intensive one Melvin made
The new Timney trigger locks the bolt down when on safety and has eliminated the potential safety issue of the original trigger
We've been able to keep the guns lightweight, before I added a suppressor and optic my 16.2" .308 weighed 4# 12.8oz

We have been extremely happy with the overall accuracy of the guns with 5/8"-3/4" 100yd groups being very common. I've shot several 1/2" groups with my personal .358 Win and Lehigh Defense bullets.

Barrel twist rates were picked because they shoot common hunting bullets the best. Sure a 1-10 twist .308 will shoot 175gr Sierra Matchkings better, but our 1-11.25 will shoot popular 150-165gr hunting bullets great. We've already made some 1-10 .308 barrels too.

Some have asked "why a .358 Win"? Well a few of my hunting buddies and I are big .35cal fans and we figured since we were already making barrels for us, why not offer them to customers too. Also, since we already make .338 Fed barrels for large frame ARs there is no reason we can't for a NULA if there is enough demand.

The next calibers to be available will be for the model 20S: .223, .300 Blackout, 300 HAM'R and 350 Legend

One last thing. Unlike Melvin's business model of dealing directly with the customer and "you dream it and we can build it", WC sells the majority of it's products through distributors like Sports South and key dealers. These customers want the # of SKUs to be kept to a minimum. This doesn't mean we can't step out of this box some if a customer wants to order a rifle direct at retail price. Things such as different barrel lengths, crowned muzzle (no wart), different finishes, etc could be done.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BWilson
The new Timney trigger locks the bolt down when on safety and has eliminated the potential safety issue of the original trigger

What was the potential safety issue - and how did you fix it?

Thanks for your post above.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Kinda like the Rem 700 deal. We found that a certain combination of pulling the trigger when it was in the rear or middle position, then moving it to the other rear or middle position, that when you pushed it to the forward fire position it would fire. Sorry, this has been awhile ago and I don't remember the exact sequence. If you never pulled the trigger while it was in either of the "safe" positions it wasn't an issue, but you know lawyers and something like this only has to happen once....

Timney has eliminated the possibility of this issue with the new trigger

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Kinda like the Rem 700 deal. We found that a certain combination of pulling the trigger when it was in the rear or middle position, then moving it to the other rear or middle position, that when you pushed it to the forward fire position it would fire. Sorry, this has been awhile ago and I don't remember the exact sequence. If you never pulled the trigger while it was in either of the "safe" positions it wasn't an issue, but you know lawyers and something like this only has to happen once....

👍
So it locks the bolt - can you still cycle the action on “safe” or is it a simple 2 position that locks the bolt?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

👍
So it locks the bolt - can you still cycle the action on “safe” or is it a simple 2 position that locks the bolt?

Simple 2 position like a Browning, Savage or Tikka for example

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Copy; and thanks.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bill,
The targets provided with your rifles is deceiving to me when i look at them if they are shooting 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch...
Maybe change the target to something with grids on it a 1/4 inch in size ...maybe its just me but when i see the 3 shots outside of the square I really have no idea what group the $3000.00 dollar rifle shot....best of luck with the new venture

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by gene270
Bill,
The targets provided with your rifles is deceiving to me when i look at them if they are shooting 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch...
Maybe change the target to something with grids on it a 1/4 inch in size ...maybe its just me but when i see the 3 shots outside of the square I really have no idea what group the $3000.00 dollar rifle shot....best of luck with the new venture

What type targets did Melvin send out with them?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Melvin didnt send a target unless he sighted your rifle in but some how i think you may already know this...all i am saying is make yourself look good and send one that shows what it will do and what your paying for

Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,906
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.