B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Higginez
Hey Bill,

You'll go down as a LEGEND around here if you nail the .223

1-7" twist.

Mag box dimensions that allow heavy for caliber bullets to fit/feed.

Throated to allow said bullets to touch lands at mag box lengths.

Most of us build them this way but wouldn't have to if you were on the ball.

Good luck man!

Sorry since 1-8 is by far our best selling twist for AR bbls they will be 1-8 with .223 Wylde chambers. I'm not sure on mag box length, I'd have to ask one of our engineers.

HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
8" will stabilize everything that will fit in an AR mag,chambered Wylde. Though it leaves a gaping void in a bolt gun. Hint.

It is plum AMAZING to me,how very little Manufacturers "know" or shoot. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by BWilson
Hey Bill,

1-7" twist.

Good luck man!

Sorry since 1-8 is by far our best selling twist for AR bbls they will be 1-8 with .223 Wylde chambers. I'm not sure on mag box length, I'd have to ask one of our engineers.

...and there was great weeping and gnashing of teeth...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm amazed that CZ and Browning, of all companies, are two that offer fast twist barrels. I know that some don't like their actions for various reasons, but at least they listened.

As I understand it, it was one guy at Browning that listened and made it happen. I believe it was a product manager but could be wrong.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hey Bill,

1-7" twist.

Good luck man!

You need to get out of the AR mindset. The modern bolt action 223 buyer is purchasing the rifle to take advantage of sleek bullets like the 88 grain ELD-M, which means a longer than AR mag box, and twist that's capable of handling the longest bullets out there.

IC B2

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Hey Bill,

1-7" twist.

Good luck man!

You need to get out of the AR mindset. The modern bolt action 223 buyer is purchasing the rifle to take advantage of sleek bullets like the 88 grain ELD-M, which means a longer than AR mag box, and twist that's capable of handling the longest bullets out there.

+1

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hey Bill,

1-7" twist.

Good luck man!

Why do quality bolt rifles keep getting cock blocked by AR requirements? Do manufacturers not understand they’re two separate things?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well put prairie goat

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love the fact that you guys are lecturing one of the few individuals who has found a way to be successful in the custom gunmaking world on his business practices. There is little chance that the cost of changing the barrel twist could be offset by five guys on this board who would buy a rifle because it had a faster twist. He is, after all, running a business.

For the record, and from the horse's mouth, Barrett used a 1-7" twist on the Fieldcraft because they were already making those barrels for the REC7 (the piston version, not the current direct-impingement carbine). It was, HINT, a business decision.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We're trying to help the guy out, especially since essentially no one has gotten a modern bolt action 223 right from the factory. Every week on this forum and others there are guys talking about 223 builds, rebarreling rifles and modifying mag boxes or swapping to longer mag setups. Reminds a guy a little of the custom 1911 market, before manufacturers like Wilson Combat got into the business...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I love the fact that you guys are lecturing one of the few individuals who has found a way to be successful in the custom gunmaking world on his business practices. There is little chance that the cost of changing the barrel twist could be offset by five guys on this board who would buy a rifle because it had a faster twist. He is, after all, running a business.

For the record, and from the horse's mouth, Barrett used a 1-7" twist on the Fieldcraft because they were already making those barrels for the REC7 (the piston version, not the current direct-impingement carbine). It was, HINT, a business decision.

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

Do not "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery,as you Whine loud,long and often. Hint.

It is plum AMAZING to me,how very little Manufacturers "know" or shoot. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

GFY Woodhits.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Earlier in this same thread:

Changing twist rates is no big deal at our barrel shop.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Confirmed that the ID of the mag box is 2.245" so what you guys are asking for could certainly be done since we make 1-7 bbls already. Anyone have any idea what reamer is used for the long throat chamber? We buy most of ours from PT&G since we run carbide.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Confirmed that the ID of the mag box is 2.245" so what you guys are asking for could certainly be done since we make 1-7 bbls already. Anyone have any idea what reamer is used for the long throat chamber? We buy most of ours from PT&G since we run carbide.
In the case of the short magazine box, might as well stick with 8 twist and standard reamer to save money, since the short length precludes the use of the long projectiles that are really only practical to shoot from a longer box.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2.245" mag constraints is an ABSOLUTE Goat Fhuqk in 223 and well shy of ASC AR mag confines. EPIC fhuqking failure there. Hint.

Kiff is the LAST Charlatan I'd entertain sourcing a reamer from,for any fhuqking reason. Hint.

It is in oft mused hilarious misconception,by folks who don't shoot,that a longer throat is requisite for better projectiles. Superior projectiles by literal design,will have a greater COAL than lesser ones,in the SAME throat. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bill knows how to run a business and turn a profit. That’s what matters. Plus he said you can custom order the twist of your choice for full price directly from them. You can’t beat that .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If 2.245 is too short , Stick, I wonder what mag box and action they’re already manufacturing will work? It seems they are building a smaller action next . Maybe keep the 223 on this current action?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, would rather just have a Model 20 with a shimmed 2.55" mag box, 223 bolt face, and appropriate feed rails than a shortened action that won't take anything over 2.245". The 20 is light enough as is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What ‘goat said.

Remington sold a ton of short action 223 in the day.

Stick, et al, what box length should Bill spec on his short action for the heavy 223 and 6 ARC versions?

What’s the box length on the HOWA mini with the Jefferson(?) floor plate?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Page 7 of 20 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (3333vl, akpls, 450yukon, 264mag, 805, 204guy, 24 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,886
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.